• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming is not a Sony movie. It was completely done by Marvel Films and they just add the Sony name to it, sharing the profits.

Venon does not look on the same level, it will be pretty forgettable.

Unless this is a new revelation, that wasn't what was reported by Variety.

At the same time, Marvel won't receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony's films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won't receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel's films that have Spider-Man, either.

EDIT:

Nevermind, reading furture there's clauses put in for financial performance

There may be some opportunities for Marvel to benefit financially from the Sony films, with payments tied to certain box office milestones. The financial relationship is likened by sources to the kind of compensation structure a producer would receive.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony would honestly be crazy not to renew their current deal. While Spider-Man has a lot of characters in it's universe, you only do so much with that world. If I were running Sony I would continue to make films like Venom and Spiderverse, but I would also renew the deal with Disney. Sony could be looking at having X-Men and Fantastic Four characters showing up in Spider-Man films.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sony would honestly be crazy not to renew their current deal. While Spider-Man has a lot of characters in it's universe, you only do so much with that world. If I were running Sony I would continue to make films like Venom and Spiderverse, but I would also renew the deal with Disney. Sony could be looking at having X-Men and Fantastic Four characters showing up in Spider-Man films.

Yep Sony would be stupid the turn away from the potential of a Wolverine appearance in a Spider-Man movie and that can only happen with Marvel Studios involved.

If I had to guess, the Fox deal probably makes Sony's decision a lot easier.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's right there in the OP, Sony gets the rights to do CGI films based on Marvel's other properties.
Sony has the rights to both right now. Why on earth would Sony make a deal to lose the bigger of the two series, especially when they already have easy hits with Marvel making the mainline films for them? You're asking them to give up a cash cow for animated films you yourself knows won't ever come close to filling the loss in profits.

Homecoming is not a Sony movie. It was completely done by Marvel Films and they just add the Sony name to it, sharing the profits.

That's straight up incorrect. Sony fully financed the film like they have done on all the Spider-Man films. Marvel was essentially a production house similar to Bad Robot's work on the Star Wars films. Homecoming is 100% a Sony Pictures film. Now when the movie achieved certain benchmarks in gross, Marvel got extra performance based payments sent their way. But that's not profit sharing.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep Sony would be stupid the turn away from the potential of a Wolverine appearance in a Spider-Man movie and that can only happen with Marvel Studios involved.

If I had to guess, the Fox deal probably makes Sony's decision a lot easier.

I think so too. This could play out well for Sony if they play their cards right. Not only Wolverine, but we could finally have that Human Torch and Spidey team up we've always wanted.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Sony has the rights to both right now. Why on earth would Sony make a deal to lose the bigger of the two series, especially when they already have easy hits with Marvel making the mainline films for them? You're asking them to give up a cash cow for animated films you yourself knows won't ever come close to filling the loss in profits.

But they'd get to make way more animated films to make up for that loss. Maybe even 3 films per year once their pipeline gets going. Their schedule right now is one Spider-Man film every year, one produced with Marvel and one produced in-house, if Marvel makes an attractive revenue sharing offer for the mainline Spider-Man films, it could be a net gain for Sony.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
But they'd get to make way more animated films to make up for that loss. Maybe even 3 films per year once their pipeline gets going. Their schedule right now is one Spider-Man film every year, one produced with Marvel and one produced in-house, if Marvel makes an attractive revenue sharing offer for the mainline Spider-Man films, it could be a net gain for Sony.

We don't even have any idea how spiderverse will do vs say homecoming

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

More like Sony gets the vast majority of the profits which is the point they'd be down right stupid to give those movie rights up. The balls entirely in their court. Marvels out their giving Sony free money while they have full reign with the rest of the IP movie wise, which they have also have marvel make movies for them to reap the profits off if they want and people think sony would want to give that up? Come on now unless Marvel outright buys them they ain't giving it up.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not now they aren't. Same thing was true about Fox until ear.
Whether it takes 5 years, 10 years, 15 years or 20 years, Marvel Studios will fully own the movie rights to Spider-Man.

That's a lot of prognostication. Disney didn't buy Fox because of the Marvel rights. You might eb right, you might not, but you haven't put an argument forward.

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sony can keep those rights as long as I get my Spider-Man 2099 movie.

... I just want my futuristic live action superhero film.

Sugar Free

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Spider-Man is like the only thing Sony has left that is going right for them, they'll hold onto it for dear life minus a complete buyout.

Jumanji made more money than Spiderman Homcoming and has a sequel out next year. They also have Hotel Transylvania ($1B+ franchise), MIB ($1B+ franchise with a new movie coming out starring Marvel stars), James Bond ($10B+ franchise where the last 2 installments made nearly $2B). They're doing ok.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Venom looks awful in every way except the look of the titular character, and every other spinoff announced or rumoured seems terrible too. The only exception being the animated movie.

Thank God the Spider-Man films are done by Marvel for now.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Venom is looking great.
The Spidey animation movie is looking great.
Homecoming was a success, even if it wasn't 100% handled by Sony.

God knows we wouldn't have gotten a movie soley focused on Venom if Marvel was in control.

It is looking like they're turning things around.

I see no reason for Sony to give the IP back. Nor would I really want them too.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
After seeing homecoming and rest of MCU both companies cant make an action movie worth a damn. I say give the IP back to Sam Raimi and let him return to the glorious Spidey 2 days.

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that Marvel should get more into animation. I guess it might be tricky to explain how any animated movies ARENT in the MCU since it is so popular, but still...

I would absolutely love a mature X-Men animated series.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I am missing something but I just opened the Venom trailer here on Youtube and it is sitting at 67 million views right now...

The new trailer got 15 million in 24 hours...

And the overall sentiment we can see reading the comments and public hype is 99% positive from the mainstream.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe I am missing something but I just opened the Venom trailer here on Youtube and it is sitting at 67 million views right now...

The new trailer got 15 million in 24 hours...

And the overall sentiment we can see reading the comments and public hype is 99% positive from the mainstream.
movie is looking fun, no surprise.
Venom is a cool character too.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Fox was selling their movie and television divisions regardless.
What's there to argue?

You argue your premise. Especially if you're saying 'well maybe in two decades'. I could just as easily say taht it's self evidend that Sony will get the rights after they are bought up by comcast who buys Disney. Even in the event that Sony sells ever, why would it not be another company that buys them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
I do agree that Marvel should get more into animation. I guess it might be tricky to explain how any animated movies ARENT in the MCU since it is so popular, but still...

I would absolutely love a mature X-Men animated series.

Marvel animations suck, have you seen their TV stuff? They killed Sony's spectacular Spider-Man (which was the best SM cartoon ever) after the TV rights were transferred back to Marvel for their abomination of a show, this is why this deal makes sense for both sides.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only Sony let Sam Raimi keep on making Spider-man movies.
q3HpaV3n9yCRFuOYVWvm3vLZSuejOKeRim-i-DjWxko.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
If you read the leaked emails. Sony asked around for like a couple billion dollars for the Spider-Man rights. I think they settled on two BILLION. This was when they were planning all those Amazing Spider-Man movies and were planing a Amazing Spider-Man vs Spider-Man movie. But then that went down the toilet so they made this deal with Marvel.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the image. THEY WANTED 5 BILLION DOLLARS just for the rights and they still wanted to make all those horrible ideas like the Gwen Stacy Carnage movie.
meul9vj.jpg

I will never get tired of these crazy ass Sony emails. It's literally if they picked up a handful of Resetera users and put them in charge of Sony franchises. It's so fucking wild.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's the image. THEY WANTED 5 BILLION DOLLARS just for the rights and they still wanted to make all those horrible ideas like the Gwen Stacy Carnage movie.
meul9vj.jpg

WTH
- Emma Stone as Carnage
- Tatum as Venom
- They Actually wanted to replicate the MCU plan ( IW P1, IW P2 ) to make their event movies on two parts
- Andrew vs Tobey WHATTTTT
- ASM 3 as an animated movie that when they knew they screwed their franchise

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe Sony sold them back the merchandising rights. Always makes me chuckle.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
As long as Arad is still in the business the Sony/Spidey Universe rump won
meul9vj.jpg
I am definitely in the wrong timeline if I didn't get the chance to see an Andrew v Tobey Spider-Man film XD

Anyways, Sony won't let go of those rights and they'll keep making weird Spidey spin offs as long as Avi Arad is still in the business.

Curiosity question: Can Sony use another Spider-Man that is not Peter Parker like Ben Reilly (Scarlet) or Miguel O'Hara (2099)? Obviously the latter can't happen...yet.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony knows the writing is on the wall for them with Spider-Man.
Sooner or later, Disney will buy the rights back from them or Disney will buy them altogether.
It's better for them to play ball with Disney and work together on a new Spider-Man deal.
You know how much it'd cost to buy all of Sony? Far more than what Spidey is worth and far more than what they are paying for Fox. And the majority of which is worthless to Disney, unlike Fox.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know how much it'd cost to buy all of Sony? Far more than what Spidey is worth and far more than what they are paying for Fox. And the majority of which is worthless to Disney, unlike Fox.
I don't think they will buy Sony, but they will just pay the release clause of the Spider-Man contract and retain everything.

Although hell, maybe they can buy Sony, Disney is nuts.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Sony bankrolled it and promoted it.

Anyone who believes they made any significant creative decisions for that movie is, well, lol
I highly doubt it, the role of a producer is to be involved with the creative process, they didn't just hand Jon Watts and the writing team a ton of money and said "Well, bye, we'll see you again at the promotional tour".

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia, they were at least involved with casting, hiring the writers/director and the visual effects, so yeah...