Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
This isn't a Venom hate thread, but I think Sony is really terrible at making superhero movies right now, and I don't think any executive at Sony would be stupid enough to give up the rights to Spider-Man.

However, Sony animation seem to know what they're doing, so I think Marvel and Sony can work out a deal where Marvel gets the film rights back from Sony, but they can allow Sony to do CGI films in vein of into the Spider-verse for other Marvel characters. Everybody wins in the scenario, Marvel gets control back for all the Spidey characters for the MCU, we no longer have to endure yet another butchered SM character, and we get to see other Marvel characters get the big budget CGI treatment. Animation is where Marvel is seriously behind DC right now, so that would help their brand in that market as well.

This is obviously a hypothetical and very unlikely scenario, but it makes sense for all parties involved IMO. I know CGI films probably won't make Sony as much money per film as their live action SM spinoffs, but they'll have access to more characters.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man is like the only thing Sony has left that is going right for them, they'll hold onto it for dear life minus a complete buyout.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel the only thing of real value.

But I would fuck with an Annex movie, don't know if Sony has the rights to him or not

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Spider-Man is like the only thing Sony has left that is going right for them, they'll hold onto it for dear life minus a complete buyout.

That's why I suggested Marvel could allow them to do CGI films of other Marvel characters, while those likely won't be making ~$800m, they can probably bring in half of that, safe and steady and they can release multiple per year.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Marvel gets Paste-Pot-Pete. Sony gets the X-Men once the Fox deal is done.

I think that would be a fair trade.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There's too many dealings and details involved behind the scenes to really even have a discussion on this.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is Venom and Enter the Spider-Verse to be canon into the MCU!
I want to see Hardy as Venom kill Holland's Spidey :o

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should keep Spiderman forever because fuck monopolies.

Marvel OWNS Spider-Man, though! He's like, their signature masthead character, their Mickey Mouse or Mario. If we were talking about them acquiring DC characters or something, I'd I agree then.

May 10, 2018
Never gonna happen unless Sony gets bought out.

Spidey is one of the few major IP's Sony has left.

I don't think Venom will be all that great but it is what it is.

Also, monopoly talk in this thread? Seriously?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will never give up Spider-Man. It's their only AAA franchise. Which is sad.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I suggested Marvel could allow them to do CGI films of other Marvel characters, while those likely won't be making ~$800m, they can probably bring in half of that, safe and steady and they can release multiple per year.
The executive who decides to do this would be fired the moment they propose it. What kind of business sense does this make for Sony? Even the Amazing Spider-Man films made north of 700M. Also, the regular joe reaction to the venom trailers aren't at all inline with what people are saying online.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
If Into the Spider-verse does well, I think Sony might consider such an offer if Marvel is willing. Especially if Venom underperforms.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nontheless characters you created.
DC still owns Outburst
latest

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope not, venom looks dope and the trailers are doing crazy numbers. Also into the spider verse looks good too so Sony can keep going.

Spider-Man can stay with Sony just because I think they need the cash for the film division. I'd hate to see another movie studio be bought out because they lacked a franchise to keep things going.

Sony will never give up Spider-Man. It's their only AAA franchise. Which is sad.
Jumanji made near a billion, I'd say it's a big deal.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding why they should alter the deal. It seems to a win for all parties involved, both creatively and financially. I'm sure Sony could just make individual deals for animated films if they wanted to.

Because people want Spiderman fully in the MCU. Which is fine, but lets not pretend we have anyway of actually knowing if some random internet hypothetical makes any financial sense for Sony at all. The Spiderman movie IP is incredibly lucrative. Even the two Amazing movies pulled in $700+ million worldwide.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This is obviously a hypothetical and very unlikely scenario, but it makes sense for all parties involved IMO. I know CGI films probably won't make Sony as much money per film as their live action SM spinoffs, but they'll have access to more characters.
You literally just pointed out why it doesn't make any sense at all, OP.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't theorise about fictional deals, be concerned that the very limited deal Sony made with Marvel is nearing its end. Far From Home is the last planned movie in the Sony/Marvel deal as of now. Maybe a third in a trilogy. We could lose Spidey in the MCU if Sony get greedy.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
You literally just pointed out why it doesn't make any sense at all, OP.

How so? If Sony can release CGI films of Iron Man, Cap, Black Panther, & X-Men they can make up all the money they would potentially make from Venom, Silk, Morbius..etc. They have one of the best animation teams in the industry vs one of the worst live action teams. This would allow them to lean on their strength.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
How so? If Sony can release CGI films of Iron Man, Cap, Black Panther, & X-Men they can make up all the money they would potentially make from Venom, Silk, Morbius..etc. They have one of the best animation teams in the industry vs one of the worst live action teams. This would allow them to lean on their strength.

You are discounting the money they would lose from no longer being able to produce live action Spiderman films, which make bank.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting idea but Sony would have to go all out with it and make a multi film per year cinematic universe thing to make it worthwhile, otherwise an animated Spider-Man movie every other year would probably suffice without requiring other Marvel characters. Assuming the first one is a hit of course.
The other thing is, do Marvel even want to make more solo Spider-Man movies after the first three? I don't know what the deal is for keeping him in other ensemble appearances, does anyone?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Home-Coming was successful and is getting a sequel.

Venom looks like it will be fun and the trailer got a lot of online play.

I am not seeing your point.

Homecoming is not a Sony movie. It was completely done by Marvel Films and they just add the Sony name to it, sharing the profits.

Venon does not look on the same level, it will be pretty forgettable.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
You are discounting the money they would lose from no longer being able to produce live action Spiderman films, which make bank.

True, the deal would probably be more complicated than a straight up trade, but I'm sure Marvel has enough to sweeten the deal.

We obviously cannot hypothesize all the details for a deal of this magnitude, but I think it's workable, maybe allow Sony to keep all the revenue from the mainline Spidey films, but a ban on non-Marvel produced Spidey films. In this case, the CGI films can cover the opportunity lost from the Spinoffs.