• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I said it. The 360 controller is better.

At first, when I got the original Xbox One (that dumb machine with the ginormous power brick that plays current games at like 240p resolution), I figured it would just take a little to get used to. But after all these years, I'm sorry, these new controllers are worse. I even have the Lunar controller, which people say is the best version.

The 360 controller is so much more comfortable. I've been using my wired controller for the PC for over a decade. It's better because:

- The analog sticks are not made taller for no reason. They made the sticks taller and they aren't as good.
- The bumpers are not stupid clicky buttons that are the worst.

And it feels smaller and just fits better.

So what say you? Am I talking crazy? (Of course I'm not.)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing with my xbox one controller and while I used to hold your opinion at the beginning, I've gotten used to the xbox one enough I can't say I feel a difference. And I hear the series X feels even better better than the one's.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
76299-360dpad.jpg

No.

DFU6WyzXUAEzhep.jpg

Double no.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I could not disagree enough. In fact I think the newest Xbox series controller is the best one yet. I have bunches of all of them I now only use the new controllers on everything and have retired all my old controllers.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The dpad sucks but there is a certain...comfort to the 360 controller. I have other options available but I still use 360 controllers on my PC.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be on board with this and used my wired 360 controller for years on PC. The new series X controller is the real deal, it's pretty much perfection, it fits like a glove in my hands

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Held a 360 controller for the first time in a while and couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Series X controller is such a big leap over it, despite not looking like it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's something to be said for finding the controller that fits best for your hands and continuing to use it. You wouldn't believe the number of hoops I've jumped through to use my favorite controllers and KB/M setups on whatever platforms I wanted to.

Honestly, though... I can't agree with you.

1) I like taller sticks. Taller sticks = wider range of articulation = finer control
2) One controller ergonomics aren't that different to me, but that's gonna be different for everyone of course
3) Xbox 360 has a weak d-pad. Xbox One has an alright d-pad. Xbox Series has the best d-pad of any modern controller.
4) Trigger rumble is kinda neat I guess. Nothing huge or anything but I like it
5) Microsoft's newer controllers have IMO a smoother and more consistent trigger pull that rarely sticks

The only thing keeping the Series X controller from being the flat-out best controller ever made in my eye is that controllers like Dualsense have some interesting lateral advancements that enable new applications and concepts, even if other aspects of the Dualsense (like the button feel and the d-pad) don't match up IMO. Xbox 360 was a beast of a controller but the Series controller beats soundly to me, I'll never use a 360 controller again if I don't have to

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
That D-pad is not great though and the latest version improves the bumpers meaningfully.

Can't say I agree with it being Microsoft's best, but was it the best it's time, sure by a reasonable distance.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 360 controller feels very cheap to hold these days. I still use it for Rock Band 3 on the 360 and it just doesn't match up to the build quality of the new controllers.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a hard no for me.

The 360 controller felt amazing back in the day, but holding it now, it's not so amazing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still use mine once in a while, but as soon as the dpad screws up an input I put it back away and grab my xbox one controller.

Jun 22, 2018
Definitely not. Ranked best to worst:

Elite V2
Elite V1
Series X controller
Xbox One S controller (X1 ver 3), especially the variants with rubber grips
X1 ver 2 (improved bumper and added 3.5mm jack version)
OG X1 controller
Xbox 360 controller

Their controllers have pretty continually improved with each iteration, with the elites standing out because of their unique features.

I absolutely loved the 360 controller, but it feels so cheap and poorly made compared to the more recent versions.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I love my 360 controller. Still use it (and my 360) regularly. But nah. I had issues with the thumbsticks peeling on multiple ones and not to mention the dpad is a large step down. Had issues with drift. The Series X is the most comfortable controller I've used by a mile.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I can't go back after using the One's taller thumbsticks.

I do miss the 360 bumpers/triggers though. Still need to try the Series controller, but the only difference that jumps out is the dpad.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
If it had a competent D-Pad, I'd agree with you. That thing was pure torture on fighting games.

Oct 27, 2017
You are bugging man. Each generation has gotten better. The leap from xb1 isn't as big to xsx as it was from 360 to xb1 but Microsoft's latest is the best.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Comfort is relative, BTW. There is no controller that is comfortable for all hand types.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The triggers/bumpers of the 360 controller are unmatched, IMO. Just never could get used to the feel of the ergonomic shaped triggers on the Xbox One. If they ever made a "throwback" or anniversary edition 360 controller that worked with the One/Series, I'd be all over it.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
I feel like I'm crazy cause I have never liked the 360 controller. People always praised it's triggers but I never liked them and I hate the D-Pad and Bumpers.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
I don't like the XBONE controller, it has a nice shape but feels cheap. The XSX controller is lovely, however.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The dpad got undue heat. It's better for fighting games for me than the DS3 (and X1/DS4). But THAT BEING SAID, deadzones, stick resistance, bumpers, and the dpad were all improved on by cheap 3rd party controllers.

It's a great controller, but I never liked the bumpers very much. I have a wireless black ops controller with the metal dpad that I believe is official and it's the nicest official controller I've had by far.

You can make the dpad pop out for stronger cardinal execution, but ironically it makes qcf and hcf motions harder to hit. A Rockcandy 360 controller has better sticks and a dpad that pops out more to make directions easier to hit.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
There's something to be said for finding the controller that fits best for your hands and continuing to use it. You wouldn't believe the number of hoops I've jumped through to use my favorite controllers and KB/M setups on whatever platforms I wanted to.

Honestly, though... I can't agree with you.

1) I like taller sticks. Taller sticks = wider range of articulation = finer control
2) One controller ergonomics aren't that different to me, but that's gonna be different for everyone of course
3) Xbox 360 has a weak d-pad. Xbox One has an alright d-pad. Xbox Series has the best d-pad of any modern controller.
4) Trigger rumble is kinda neat I guess. Nothing huge or anything but I like it
5) Microsoft's newer controllers have IMO a smoother and more consistent trigger pull that rarely sticks

The only thing keeping the Series X controller from being the flat-out best controller ever made in my eye is that controllers like Dualsense have some interesting lateral advancements that enable new applications and concepts, even if other aspects of the Dualsense (like the button feel and the d-pad) don't match up IMO. Xbox 360 was a beast of a controller but the Series controller beats soundly to me, I'll never use a 360 controller again if I don't have to

Daaaamn I cannot wait to get my hands on a Series X controller. The DualSense has the best face buttons and D-Pad I've used since the SNES, but plenty of people have the same opinion as you. Might end up being a personal taste thing of course, but still, I've heard such great things about the new Xbox controller.

Seems like both of the big boys knocked their controllers out of the park this gen. The haptic feedback in the DualSense is the most next gen shit I've experienced since the original rumble pack. I'm just so happy to see controllers evolve in a meaningful way without breaking what works simply for the sake of it.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My one complaint with the most recent Xbox controllers is that the shoulder buttons are designed in such a way that it's hard to keep fingers on all the shoulder buttons at once. Maybe I have strange fingers, but when I'm playing a game like Nier: Automata, it's uncomfortable to use RB and RT at the same time.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I used mine recently and it just feels really cheap. Especially the triggers and sticks. Still better than a PS3 or PS4 controller but yeah. It feels dated, for sure.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The wired Xbox 360 controller is easily my favorite PC gamepad of all time. No installing drivers, no syncing, no dongle, just plug directly into USB and it works, and it has a decent length cable. Just have to tape the break away bit so you don't accidentally lose it.

Haven't used an Xbox One or Xbox Series X controller yet, so I have no idea if they feel better in the hand, but I find the 360 controller more aesthetically pleasing (except for the Xbox One Elite controller, that thing looks really nice)

Also prefer 360 over PS2/PS3/PS4 controllers as I've never been a fan of the d-pad being in the primary position on the left side. I can get used to PlayStation controllers and their layout (and annoying symbols for buttons instead of simple letters, after 27 years playing PlayStation games it's taken me until the last few months playing Star Wars: Squadrons in PSVR and Cyberpunk to finally start to memorize their positions), but they're not my favorite.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Amazing controller at the time, especially compared to the tiny DS3

Series' controller is perfection for me though. It could be improved by adding haptics/gyro

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Daaaamn I cannot wait to get my hands on a Series X controller. The DualSense has the best face buttons and D-Pad I've used since the SNES, but plenty of people have the same opinion as you. Might end up being a personal taste thing of course, but still, I've heard such great things about the new Xbox controller.

Seems like both of the big boys knocked their controllers out of the park this gen. The haptic feedback in the DualSense is the most next gen shit I've experienced since the original rumble pack. I'm just so happy to see controllers evolve in a meaningful way without breaking what works simply for the sake of it.
My brother got me a Series controller on a whim for PC gaming. I didn't expect to think much of it but it basically takes the One controller and makes it as perfect as it can be. To me the only big thing it's missing is gyro but every other controller I own has gyro so w/e

it's for real though, just plain good

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
My only issue with the Xbox One and Xbox Series controllers are the bumpers. I've never liked them. They feel more like peddles that I press with the side of my finger than a button on the 360 controller. I have, however, got used to these over the years and really love my Elite V2 controller. If I could get the shoulder buttons of a 360 controller on an Xbox One controller it would be perfect imo.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
hahahhaa you hold this opinion while the Elite and Elite 2 exist? bullshit. i know they have QA problems, but nothing matches the in-your-hand comfort. nothing.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Nah the Xbox series X controller is so much better to me i don't even want to touch a 360 controller. From comfort to precision, the series x pad is the best!