Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm able to, and stuff like old school COD in splitscreen kind of made sense for controller.
But I only really enjoy FPS games on mkb.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
The (IMO) crazy thing that happened with this for me is that I played mostly FPS games for most of my life predating, but really kicking off with, Halo CE in 2001. I was a hardcore competitive FPS player on consoles for give or take 20 years. I finally switched to PC partway through Destiny 2's lifespan in 2019.

Now that I've been playing FPS titles on mouse and keyboard for the last few years and only really picking up a controller for platformers and action games, I cannot play Halo or any other FPS game on a console to save my life.

Really makes it hard to brag about how much I used to play lol

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
If you commit a few months to playing exclusively with a pad, you'll get used to it what with potential gyro options and generous aim assist pad players get in a lot of games

I think at the higher levels the performance gap between pad and mouse players is definitely felt but unless you're playing tournaments or Diamond and onwards equivalent competitive lobbies in your game of choice, you won't notice it and may even have an advantage over lower ELO mouse users in games that allow mixed inputs

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I've long harboured thoughts of having some kind of hybrid mouse and controller set up like maybe with a wiimote, joycon or whatever, but have never gone through with it. My aim with a mouse is substantially better than using a right stick but I do dislike using a keyboard.

As it is for FPS now I settle with multi button mice just to avoid having to reach so many keyboard functions at once.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played Portal on PC with a controller+mouse hybrid setup. Had the mouse in my right hand and the left side of an Xbox controller in my left hand. Felt great, and games should allow this without outside keybinding apps. Playing Baldur's Gate 3 right now, and I wish I could move around with the control stick while using the mouse for everything else.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the same way.

I'm just terrible. I always overswing and no amount of tweaking settings has ever helped me.

Fortunately for me, the only time I play FPS with a controller is on my Steam Deck. I usually use the trackpad for more precise aiming. I've tried Gyro but since I mostly play the Deck in my car it's a bit unwieldly.
That's usually a latency thing.
Honestly, it might be my biggest complaint about the Steam Deck.
Input lag is so much higher in many games than my desktop PC with a VRR display.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I played Portal on PC with a controller+mouse hybrid setup. Had the mouse in my right hand and the left side of an Xbox controller in my left hand. Felt great, and games should allow this without outside keybinding apps. Playing Baldur's Gate 3 right now, and I wish I could move around with the control stick while using the mouse for everything else.

You can have this with no/minimal hassle if you're willing to fork over the money for a vertical mouse with an analog stick or the Razer mini keypad + analog stick thingy they sell

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the style of FPS. I'm quite comfortable with both. Got through Doom Eternal just fine on Ultra Violence with a controller, but if I'm playing a PC-Ass-PC shooter like an Ultrakill or Turbo Overkill where speed + precision are the name of the game, give me a M+KB.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I used to play em on consoles for years but after using a mouse it's insane. Its seriously so bad.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Other than basic point and click games like visual novels or puzzle games, I can't use M+KB for basically any game. After growing up on consoles it's such an enormous learning curve to do anything at all, and moving around with keys just feels wrong to me.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
You need to throw your computer and your mouse and keyboard away. Then you are motivated enough to learn to play FPS with a controller.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason I'll never play an FPS on console if I have the choice of PC. It feels horrible to move and aim with a control stick after spending so many years using M+KB. A lot of it is experience I'm sure, but tracking and flicking are just so much more difficult using sticks in comparison to mouse where I don't even need to 'think' about how to move the mouse to get it to point where I want.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on FPS on controller years ago. I've always been less precise than I'd like to be with analog sticks, and if that was going to change it would have a decade or two ago.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
Me too :(

I'm always complaining in threads or asking if certain game has mouse and keyboard support on consoles :(

I've been wanting to create a thread to ask this: can a dev or someone with experience tell me how hard it actually is to implement M&K support on consoles?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I'm the complete opposite. If it doesn't have controller support, I don't play it on my PC. Haha.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I grew up using dual analog sticks and never thought twice, but as soon as I started using m+kb there was no going back. Sticks feel like there's an extra layer between me and the game (either ridiculous aim assist or clunky awkwardness - both feel like they're removing control); mouse feels like I'm aiming directly 1:1. Controller is tolerable for some slower paced games that are built primarily around gamepad, but I'll avoid it whenever possible if precise aiming is involved.

I didn't realize how just much I disliked it until I got my Steam Deck. I had to really shift what kinds of games I play on there, because sticks are intolerable for a lot of things.

I actually used to really love IR aiming on Wii games; that really closed the gap for me until I got a PC. Gyro helps too, but not enough to be worth it.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same thing. For the past 7 years I was on kb/m. Switched back to controller and it took forever to get used to again...

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I only play on pad. Couldn't do it with mouse+
keyboard.
Pulling the trigger feels better on a controller, i imagine, imo.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got into Fortnite on PS5 recently partly because it has a gyro option. Would love to play Overwatch and Apex on PS5 too but I just can't without gyro. It should be an option by default, baked into the system like what Steam offers.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
How do you guys do it 🫠
As the first post said...
...alongside flick stick, they're a godsend in Fortnite & CoD's PS5 version.

I played Splatoon 3 earlier this year with gyro and it blows dual stick out the water and in most cases is superior to pointer because you don't need to keep pointing at the screen at all times. It's so much better, much faster and more accurate. it's like going from single stick on n64 to dual stick, you wonder how you put up with that crap back in the day lol. I'm a very firm believer that Gyro should be the standard for shooters and at the very least be an option for any games that have some sort ADS mechanic, BOTW/TOTK shows gyro aim can work perfectly fine even in 3rd person action adventure games.
There's a reason why 75-80% of Splatoon players use gyro.

cwoody63

Dec 31, 2022
Lol grew up with it and love. Tried PC, but fumbling around with the keyboard trying to crouch, jump, throw grenade, switch weapons and grenades, etc., just felt awful. One of the only reasons I'm console first is because I don't want be put in PC FPS lobbies.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah controller is almost impossible. Fortunately Metroid Prime with its lock on has been a nice transition but I need a lot more practice. It is at the end less precise, there is nothing to do about it.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I can't either with sticks only. Gyro has its fair share of fans but the touch pads on the Steam Deck are underrated imo.