• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Everyone could be using their money in a more meaningful way, but here we are.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The thing I don't get is donating large sums to big streamers. It's like, hey you're already making tons of money playing fucking video games, but here, have a bunch more! Small streamers, sure, but big ones, hell no.

OP
OP
Aug 3, 2018
I only say this because we are slow at the job and I jumped on twitch for one of the first times ever. I've been watching someone play fallout76 all day and just watched them rack up donations. Just because they are playing the same game we all could be doing. Maybe I'm older....but I just don't get this.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a form of entertainment, and most people pay for entertainment. That being said, I don't donate to streamers, but I can understand the reasoning.

The thing I don't get is donating large sums to big streamers. It's like, hey you're already making tons of money playing fucking video games, but here, have a bunch more!

I feel the same way - I donate to a few YouTubers and podcasters via Patreon, but only smaller ones. Jim Sterling already makes $25k/mo from the platform - why give him money when there's lots of smaller channels that produce quality content but fly under the radar? My money seems much better spent encouraging the smaller guys to keep at it.

EDIT: Also, if I want to watch a game being played, I tend to watch longplays and not let's plays. I'm interested in the games, not the 'personalities'.

Jul 18, 2018
But that's the thing. You can do what you want.
Everything someone uses their money on is going to be trivial to another. In this case its a form of entertainment so it's always going to be trivial for others.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Do you pay for Cable? Netflix? Go to the Movies? You are paying for people to entertain you, it's just a more direct transaction.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
streamers got to eat and people pay voluntarily for the entertainment they got from the streamers. seems reasonable to me.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Because this happens:

Sub goal rewarded with 350 non-stop dabs by star of BBC Scotland's "Limmy's Show", New Master of Flash 2002, and publically avowed "vile troll" by Simon Cowell.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i got no problem giving money to people making content, what i dont personally get is people who seem desperate for momentary recognition or to make really underwhelming jokes and will pay money for the opportunity

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are entertainment, the people streaming are working and we think they deserve something for all the effort.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it either, because it doesn't interest me, but if you boil it down to more generic terms, it's just paying for entertainment, and I think we all can understand that concept.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only say this because we are slow at the job and I jumped on twitch for one of the first times ever. I've been watching someone play fallout76 all day and just watched them rack up donations. Just because they are playing the same game we all could be doing. Maybe I'm older....but I just don't get this.

Imagine giving money for watching Fallout 76. Or worse yet, imagine giving money or time to Fallout 76. Madness.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If someone has entertained you for hours for free why is it so crazy that someone might think " thanks, here's $5."

I mean I don't do it often my I throw $5ish a month at Maximilian DooD on twitch because I get a lot of hours of entertainment out of him a month.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I don't get watching game streamers at all. I mean, I understand it, but it doesn't appeal to me at all.

The only time I've ever watched another person play a video game was for Street Fighter strategy & tips.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you're really entertained by them it makes sense even if unorthodox compared to traditional forms of entertainment, but I don't find any of them at all entertaining so it seems like a huge waste to me, especially with some of the massive sums people drop and inane shit creators do/offer for donations and subs.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The thing I don't get is donating large sums to big streamers. It's like, hey you're already making tons of money playing fucking video games, but here, have a bunch more! Small streamers, sure, but big ones, hell no.

I regularly see people drop $50+ in the tip jar of the Game Grumps streams, of all things.

I think they're gonna be fine guys, they don't need the financial support.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
There are some rich-ass people that watch Twitch. Lot of people with bitcoin money lying around and shit like that.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
As pointed out by some folks here, it's because people like this kind of entertainment. It's the same thing as paying for a movie in a theater or Netflix.

The same goes for a lot of other kinds of entertainment. Football/soccer for example: why would you spend hundreds or even thousand of dollars just to watch some folks running to a ball?

Maybe you don't understand because you don't enjoy it as a form of entertainment, and that's fine.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems some streams are literally geared towards donations more so than playing games. It's like the action that everyone is presumably there for is being constantly paused to shout out some fool who donated while sound affects and animations go off. I don't get that shit. There's some aspect of having your name said in a crowded room by a popular person that is appealing to some.

Oct 25, 2017
why do you pay for entertainment (I'm assuming you don't pirate it), OP. You could be using that money for something better.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The other things I don't get are the large donations. Who are these people who can donate $20, 30, 50 100+ like it's nothing? I mean, if you have that kind of disposable income, why not donate to charity? Or use it to help people out first responders or something? Not some guy sitting in a DXRacer chair playing Fortnight all day.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
People like their commentary and like to support/encourage them to keep doing it.

One of my favorite things growing up was hanging out with my cousin, us having fun talking about the games while we play, cracking jokes, being dumb. Video games can be fun to watch and I've always found it entertaining to view LPs and streams.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont even understand streams. To show the game? Sure! But to see people playing is pointless.

I should add that i hate watch anyone else playing games, is so boring

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
We can play every game they are. We do not make shows, movies, or books.
I don't make entertaining commentary while I'm playing...Sporting events then...you could play that sport, but are paying to watch someone else play. It's not that complicated, if person X gives me so many hours of entertainment I'm going to give them some $ as compensation/thanks.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Its even worse when its people like DarkSydePhil who treats his viewers like shit and has a history of racism, homophobia, and begging. Twitch allows people like this even though they say otherwise.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I dont even understand streams. To show the game? Sure! But to see people playing is pointless.

I should add that i hate watch anyone else playing games, is so boring
To see people playing it better than you can yourself. The most popular games on Twitch are competitive multiplayer games.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the same when people pay money for a person on a stage to tell jokes?

Same thing, it's entertainment, and you're helping them continue entertaining while they're providing a service. The difference with streaming is that donations aren't mandatory.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Streamers that make a living on twitch are professional entertainers. They have a skill that attracts viewers and they are compensated for it. To anyone who thinks "I could do that too" should actually try it. You'll sit at 0-5 viewers forever most likely.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
people aren't usually watching for the game, they're watching for the personality playing the game, and giving them money as sort of a "thank you" to that personality for providing them with hours of free entertainment (and also usually to get that personality to notice and thank them). If that personality is playing a game you're super into, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.