SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, lol no I apparently made a reference (and funny) without even realizing it. Just goes to show how generic it is, heh. Also need to rewatch the Scary Movies again.
I spent like 5 minutes trying to google the scene with "That's peculiar" / "Now that's... really peculiar." but it looks like I'm the only person who remembers that movie ):

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it was flying directly parallel to my vision so where I wouldn't easily perceive the motion, but it didn't get smaller. I stayed for two radio songs, so around 6-7 minutes, and it never moved. It was a row of three lights, with the two on the end pulsing between red and green, and it stayed in place for as long as I decided to look at it.
A red on one side and green on the other?

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in another thread but this seems like the most appropriate. Disclaimer: I don't believe in little green men but I am a bit confused at what this was.
Ur8L4jV.png
1qrtMJ5.png

KUiNj98.png
ZVvLygT.png

I eventually lost sight of it.
looks like 3 balloons tied together.

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So what's going on with your job? Wanna talk about it?
Nothing out of the ordinary for retail. Customers being inordinarily shitty the past week (I have an overall great customer base so having more than one asshole in a week's period is odd) and feeling like I'm the only on the floor who's de facto responsible for everything due to the store being short and constant call-outs. The breaking point was my boss getting on me for something out of my control and I had to walk out for 15 minutes. But she pulled me aside later and we had a talk about it; she apologized and we dealt with it. She's good people!

I'll further clarify I didn't visit my sister to vent. She needed some gas money, and we sat down and mainly talked about our jobs for an hour. But thank you for asking about it!

A red on one side and green on the other?
Nope. Both lights would be red for a couple of seconds, and then simultaneously fade to green, then back again, like it was in an idle mode. Weird!

Also to the thread: thanks for stories and SFW alien images. Y'all are crazy lol.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Sounds like something orbiting the earth and you're just really confused.

Also the person who posted the black and white photos: so obviously 3 balloons it hurts.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious how ufo stories never have any photos.

I've seen them too OP, but yeah I wouldn't post a thread about it unless I managed to get a decent pic.

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious how ufo stories never have any photos.

I've seen them too OP, but yeah I wouldn't post a thread about it unless I managed to get a decent pic.
You wanted me to post pictures of planes that you were going to tell me were planes? Because I'm pretty sure that's what they were. Besides, the point of my story wasn't to try and identify them. The point was to just share a silly moment of wonder in a world fraught with skepticism.

But thanks for the advice. Next time I'll keep it to myself if I don't get pics you're only going to dismiss anyway. xP

Sounds like something orbiting the earth and you're just really confused.
I'm extremely confident they weren't in orbit.

Last edited:

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They'd have to be some really large balloons to be that visible at that height, which totally possible, but then you have to wonder who would even want balloons to be large enough to be visible like that.
I think they're ballons. They look like those largish Mylar balloons (you know, like "Lordy Lordy looks who's forty" types), and those are pretty large. Also, they can't be all that high, they're below what look like rain clouds to me, which can be pretty low. Distance is really tough to gauge in a photo.

As a child, I lost many a ballon, and that is pretty much what it looked like as you sadly watched them float away. You could see them for a very long time.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're ballons. They look like those largish Mylar balloons (you know, like "Lordy Lordy looks who's forty" types), and those are pretty large. Also, they can't be all that high, they're below what look like rain clouds to me, which can be pretty low. Distance is really tough to gauge in a photo.

As a child, I lost many a ballon, and that is pretty much what it looked like as you sadly watched them float away. You could see them for a very long time.

I'll have to Google what a Mylar balloon is, but originally, I thought the objects in those pics would have to be about the size of the hood of a car to be that visible. Now that I think about it, I suppose they could just be regular-sized balloons.

Edit: Oh, those things. I thought they weren't meant to float, but yes, those objects could easily be large Mylar balloons or any sort of balloon, really.

Last edited:

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
They'd have to be some really large balloons to be that visible at that height, which totally possible, but then you have to wonder who would even want balloons to be large enough to be visible like that.
I mean maybe the aliens are just trolling us by making 3 really big balloons.

But seriously, they look exactly like balloons floating away to me.

NIGHTMARE KBS

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
I once saw three lights in a pyramid formation maneuver as if they were playing tag with each other but would always stay the same distance apart. They maintained a pyramid formation throughout their maneuvers. Then a bigger, brighter light appeared from the left side that seemed to be emitting a cone of light as if it were signaling the others. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. This was when I was a teen, prior to video cameras on cell phones.

It looked exactly like this:

ufosaopaulotriangular.jpg

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I saw a UFO (as in "unidentified flying object") a few days ago. I was sitting around a fire pit with some of my cousins and their GFs. It was after sunset and I saw what looked like the brightest star I've ever seen, except it was by itself, which I thought was weird (even though it's really not, especially in a city sky). I pointed it out to a cousin who was sitting next to me and I asked him what he thought it was. He looked at it and said "Oh, that's just a star". However, as the evening went on, this "star" was very slowly moving farther and farther away. We must have sat around the fire pit for about 2 hours, so this thing seemed to be moving a few "inches" every so often. I noticed that its position had changed, so I asked my cousin "Is it me or did that star move?". He also had noticed the change in position and said "Yeah, it was over there before", pointing to where we saw it earlier. He didn't seem to think that was weird at all. It eventually disappeared out of view.

I'm no expert in heavenly bodies or aircraft, so I have no idea as to what it could possibly have been. I would think that an airplane or helicopter would have completely disappeared from view after about 10-20 minutes tops, and something like a shooting star or a comet would have gone by in a flash. Could it maybe have been a satellite? Would satellites even be visible to the naked eye from the ground? What do you guys think?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I saw a UFO (as in "unidentified flying object") a few days ago. I was sitting around a fire pit with some of my cousins and their GFs. It was after sunset and I saw what looked like the brightest star I've ever seen, except it was by itself, which I thought was weird (even though it's really not, especially in a city sky). I pointed it out to a cousin who was sitting next to me and I asked him what he thought it was. He looked at it and said "Oh, that's just a star". However, as the evening went on, this "star" was very slowly moving farther and farther away. We must have sat around the fire pit for about 2 hours, so this thing seemed to be moving a few "inches" every so often. I noticed that its position had changed, so I asked my cousin "Is it me or did that star move?". He also had noticed the change in position and said "Yeah, it was over there before", pointing to where we saw it earlier. He didn't seem to think that was weird at all. It eventually disappeared out of view.

I'm no expert in heavenly bodies or aircraft, so I have no idea as to what it could possibly have been. I would think that an airplane or helicopter would have completely disappeared from view after about 10-20 minutes tops, and something like a shooting star or a comet would have gone by in a flash. Could it maybe have been a satellite? Would satellites even be visible to the naked eye from the ground? What do you guys think?
You can see some satellites and the space station

You're talking about a matter of hours though... I mean, the Earth rotates and stars move across the sky just like the sun does?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

The earth rotates ~360 degrees in one day, so in 2 hours it will rotate ~30 degrees, which is more than enough to be noticeable if you're paying attention.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like a mild case of carbon monoxide inhalation

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I mean it sounds like the right amount of time that would take for a star to move from where you originally saw it. So just a really bright star?

Oct 27, 2017
About 20 odd years ago, me and three friends were shooting with our air rifles in the north west Kent UK area on an overcast Sunday afternoon.

We were on a hill with an enormous view. Pretty much directly over our heads, far below the clouds at about 2000 feet, we saw a very bright light that sort of shimmered at its edges. After a few seconds, the lights went out leaving a solid back object about 20 meters in length, that blinked out of existence after about 10 seconds of remaining stationary.

It appeared again a few miles away a few seconds later doing the lights, then sold black object, before disappearing routine. It did this about 4 times each reappearance moving away, until the final and most bizarre thing about the sighting happened.

The last time we saw it as a solid black object, when it blinked out, it left a black outline of itself in the same spot which stayed for around 2 seconds.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
You can see some satellites and the space station

You're talking about a matter of hours though... I mean, the Earth rotates and stars move across the sky just like the sun does?

The earth rotates ~360 degrees in one day, so in 2 hours it will rotate ~30 degrees, which is more than enough to be noticeable if you're paying attention.

That's what I was thinking while I was there, but there were other stars in the sky that didn't seem to move at all, at least not during the first time I had noticed that the other thing had moved a few "inches"; at the very least, they certainly weren't moving at the same pace as the other thing. But yes, it otherwise was "moving" at about the same pace as the sun would during the day. If it helps, it was to the west of us and was moving further and further northwest.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's what I was thinking while I was there, but there were other stars in the sky that didn't seem to move at all, at least not during the first time I had noticed that the other thing had moved a few "inches"; at the very least, they certainly weren't moving at the same pace as the other thing. But yes, it otherwise was "moving" at about the same pace as the sun would during the day. If it helps, it was to the west of us and was moving further and further northwest.
Some stars move a lot, some hardly move, it depends on their position in the sky.

star-trails-yuri-belezmuzr.jpg

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Some stars move a lot, some hardly move, it depends on their position in the sky.

star-trails-yuri-belezmuzr.jpg

This makes a lot of sense, seeing as how the stars that didn't seem to move were much closer to us than the other star. I feel confident now that it was an extra bright star, as opposed to some extremely slow moving aircraft.

Edit: LookAtMeGo, sorry, I somehow missed your post. Yes, it was almost certainly Venus.

Last edited: