Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
I would add:
- you can't remove games from your collection;
- you can't remove PsPlus games you played or added from your library as well;
- you can't remove trophy, even if you got only one you're still forced to keep it forever.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest gripe with the store is how it gets confused with licenses. I couldn't buy FF7 Remake Intergrade on sale, because I'd redeemed it from the PS+ catalog, and I couldn't redeem the Fallout 76 digital copy given away on PS+ some months ago because I had the game physically. I don't know for the first case but in the second case I'd have to have contacted PS support and had them remove the original license.

The other thing is that the game sizes aren't often listed on the store, and even when they are they vary from the actual install size, making it hard for me to judge how much data I'll use either when downloading or installing.

It's better native on PS5 than it was on PS4 (and especially the current PS3 iteration) but it still leaves a lot to be desired and isn't as robust or feature-rich as Steam, certainly.
Buy the PS4 version and it will give you the PS5 version. No idea about the DLC, I redeemed it from my physical copy.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
All the console stores are fucking garbage compared to steam. I'll never forget when my buddy realized he could actually refund games when he jumped ship from ps4 to pc. "You mean...you can actually do that?!"

When you are stuck in their ecosystem they don't have to get better or support thr customer. The hell with that. Never. Going. Back.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder how some of Sony's UI choices pass. Not just the store, but the PS OS interface has always been miserably obtuse and unintuitive to me.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
OP I think you should add that the store isn't region free. So if you get a disc from somewhere and buy the dlc on your store it mightn'y work with your copy of the game. I've had this happen with games I bought from Amazon. No indiciation that they were different region etc.

I'm actually surprised they don't get more grief from publishers about how bad the store is for the 30% cut they take. I wouldn't be happy if I was publishing games to that store. You are 100% losing sales because of how bad it is.
Does this work on Nintendo/Xbox? I honestly don't know. I know 3DS was completely region locked, which sucked.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah squinting at it and making some educated guesses based on my day job, I think what happened was they decided to replace the frontend with react and at the same time talked the higher ups into letting them replace their (REST probably? hopefully?) backend API with a GraphQL setup. Opinionated but my engineering opinion is that if you want to do that you do it by adding a second API to your underlying backend and don't throw the whole thing out and start from scratch – I'm maintaining a backend that does similar things that's over 10 years old and it's fine because we work on it continually instead of letting it decay and then trying to rebuild it from scratch every few years. It seems like they went the latter route, but like you suggest their backend infrastructure has always seemed really poorly architected in a lot of ways so I'm not surprised they're making choices that continue to look really questionable to me.

Yeah moving to graphql would be a believable change.

But also I just remembered. Sony invests in WebKit so for all I know the UI is just a browser with custom controls.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Saying Steam is 20 years old and PS5 not, "give them some slack", is ridiculous. The PS5 store is not any different from building an online webstore. There are thousands of experienced people doing this for a living. Designing, building an online store, building user interfaces, dealing with user experience, accessibility. It shouldn't be such a hurdle for a big company like PlayStation to do this correctly.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
The Xbox library very clearly differentiating between the games you own, the games you have from Gold and the games that are available on Gamepass is something Sony could look to emulate. I'm sick of having to hide PS+ games from my main library.

julia crawford

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying Steam is 20 years old and PS5 not, "give them some slack", is ridiculous. The PS5 store is not any different from building an online webstore. There are thousands of experienced people doing this for a living. Designing, building an online store, building user interfaces, dealing with user experience, accessibility. It shouldn't be such a hurdle for a big company like PlayStation to do this correctly.

Hum, it's very different.... lots of webstores are build using vastly different tools than what they might use. And webstores are already hard to build properly. And a lot of webstores are also not very good at their best. This isn't like using Shopify with a pre-made template that you edit to suit your style.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
The PSN store has effectively been around since what the PS3 launch? It's pretty close in age to Steam.

So if anything, we shouldnt be cutting them any slack.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hum, it's very different.... lots of webstores are build using vastly different tools than what they might use. And webstores are already hard to build properly. And a lot of webstores are also not very good at their best. This isn't like using Shopify with a pre-made template that you edit to suit your style.
Outside of the technical side (of which I suspect it's some kind of server driven UI where each consumer (web, iOS app, PS5...) serves it's own layer on top of it, but that's just a guess) it's pretty much the same skillsets you need to bring to the table in terms of creating a pleasant user experience. I do agree a lot of web stores are pretty crap too. But then again, it doesn't have anything to do with the age of a store in my opinion.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Not to say the PS5 store doesn't have faults, but as someone who was around at the tail end of the PS3 gen when the store got redesigned it's easy to forget just how bad it could be. The PS5 store is quick, plus it's integrated into the OS rather than a separate app you have to launch. When I go on the store I usually know what I'm looking for anyway so I don't particularly care if it doesn't do much more than that.

All I know is I never, ever want them to go back to how it worked at the end of the PS3, where it'd take ages to load up, if it even did at all, and was incredibly slow when it did (and it had that fucking awful search function where you had to scroll through a vertical list of every letter and symbol, instead of just having a keyboard!) Such a downgrade compared to the lovely, snappy integrated store the PS3 used to have. Didn't like how separate from everything the PS4 store was, either, but at least using it wasn't like wading through mud.

Dec 25, 2018
the launch PS3 store was the best, every iteration of the PS store since then has been bad. It's kind of crazy how they only have made it worse since then. I remember I bought a game and literally could not find it on the store, I had to use my phone to allow my PS5 to download it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I also really dislike how they handle sales. Just hundreds of overlapping items in multiple differently-branded sales, with there often being a higher number of "different" sales than their store can actually display. You end up with four sales running but only three sales are actually shown on the Deals tab, and half the items appear as part of two sales.

I've been trained to ignore sales and just put stuff on my wishlist to be notified if it ever does end up on sale, but of course I've now run into the hundred item limit.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo and Xbox stores are region free. You can use the same account to get/redeem games from any region. The only hurdle might be payment.
Oh interesting, do you know if you can mix game from region 1 with DLC from region 2?

Edit: I suppose that isn't really an issue, you just buy DLC from the appropriate region.

Sony really should make it easier to change your region or promote from a minor to adult account. I mean, people do move... and age.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, the xbox store is certainly not perfect but at least it informs you about bundles :

Buy Resident Evil Revelations | Xbox

Survive a ghost ship and rediscover survival-horror in the campaign (single player) or Raid Mode (co-op).
Like this?

RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS

Experience the survival horror sensation on PlayStationⓇ4 in full HD 1080p with all previous DLC included and new features. The story is set at a time before the Kijuju and Lanshiang bioterror incidents when the BSAA was still a young organization. Join Jill Valentine aboard a ghost ship in...

The issue is it's not consistent.
Shows a bundle

Resident Evil 6

Blending action and survival horror, Resident Evil 6 is a dramatic horror experience that cannot be forgotten. Now in high definition, the game offers multiple characters, including fan favorites and new faces, along with solo and co-op modes and new challenges for players, different from any...

Doesn't show a bundle

resident evil 4 (2005)

Release 2016 Resident Evil 4 arrives on PlayStation®4 in full 1080p HD with an increased frame rate. This revolutionary masterpiece represented a turning point for the series as it brought the gameplay to a third-person over-the-shoulder perspective for the first time. Featuring a thrilling...

RESIDENT EVIL 5

One of the most popular Resident Evil titles comes to PlayStation®4 in full 1080p HD with an increased frame rate. Featuring single-player and co-op modes and a dramatic storyline, this fully-loaded release includes all previously released DLC Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape story...

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not to say the PS5 store doesn't have faults, but as someone who was around at the tail end of the PS3 gen when the store got redesigned it's easy to forget just how bad it could be. The PS5 store is quick, plus it's integrated into the OS rather than a separate app you have to launch. When I go on the store I usually know what I'm looking for anyway so I don't particularly care if it doesn't do much more than that.
Oh god, this reminds me the Xbox Store on console requires an update every time.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Integrating the PS5 store into the OS is stupid. It limits how and when you can update it. Updating an app is far less dangerous to deploy than updating the entire OS so you can afford to be more nimble with an app than the OS. It's not as though the store takes a while to load on the Xbox. It loads immediately, and there are so many shortcuts to it throughout the entire Xbox interface (including search using the Y button EVERYWHERE) that it truly doesn't feel like an app.

Oh god, this reminds me the Xbox Store on console requires an update every time.

I think it usually updates the store app when I leave the app, and seems to do it seamlessly for me because sometimes I notice it happening in the guide. It probably does update the store app all the time but I think it handles it really well. It rarely gets in the way for me like when the PS5 does when it says you need to update something (copying...).

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
With the PS-store, when I organize all releases by date to see what's newest, they now put upcoming and announced games in that list, which throws the whole list out of order, and I have no idea what games are actually new and were just released because it's now mixed up with pre-orders.
Check for another sort category called something like release date that has "just released" under it to sort for actual releases since some devs and games exploit it's weirdness to stay up there at the top like Midnight Works.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I've become accustomed to the stupidity of the PS Store... so when using Steam, its weirdness stands out more to me lol.

like for the longest time.... it was unnecessarily hard to just view your games library. Now mind you I use the mobile app and mobile browser, to access Steam most of the time.

but yes Steam > others. (being able to gift games 😍)

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Steam had to position themselves as the best store to buy games. The walled garden boys are all completly fine with sub-par experiences. Meanwhile in PC-town all other storefronts eventually die because of the ease of using Steam. It really is something else. Just like the ability to gift games. Yikes. Everyone else is miles behind.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Check for another sort category called something like release date that has "just released" under it to sort for actual releases since some devs and games exploit it's weirdness to stay up there at the top like Midnight Works.
No, there's only two options to sort by release date; new to old and old to new, and they both have unreleased games mixed in there.

Also, it can have a lot of games that were released a month or two ago in the current week's release, because I think the devs flub the numbers to keep their stupid game on the top.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
I almost bought the PS4 version of Cross Code yesterday instead of the PS5 version. I didn't even know there was a PS5 version I only saw it cause I kept scrolling down. They really need to do a better job, at even just unifying their store.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
No, there's only two options to sort by release date; new to old and old to new, and they both have unreleased games mixed in there.

Also, it can have a lot of games that were released a month or two ago in the current week's release, because I think the devs flub the numbers to keep their stupid game on the top.
No, it's there. Scroll down to a category called "Release Date" that has Just Released and Coming Soon under it.

julia crawford

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they really "need" to? Seems like there should be a better way of doing this in modern times. I could understand it back in 2007, but now?

Modern times don't really help unfortunately. For better or worse, things in that kind of tech space keep changing and changing faster. There are more options and more solutions today than there were 15 years ago. So that doesn't really change. Things are both easier and harder at the same time if you can believe it.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I agree that the PS store could use an update or 10 but you are way too nice on the Steam store.

I feel like the only reason the Steam Store is not being hated on is because everything is easy to navigate with a mouse. If it wasn't for that people would realise how ugly and messy it is. I don't think there has been a single UI or UX developer involved in making it.
It looks like it's stuck in the 90's early 2000's.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I lost 2 games I had via old ps plus because they added them to the new subscription model and now that they are expired I can't played the anymore even tho I should be able to.

Edit: I added them on the new subscription too, that was my mistake. But I should have the old licenses too right?

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
I lost 2 games I had via old ps plus because they added them to the new subscription model and now that they are expired I can't played the anymore even tho I should be able to.

Edit: I added them on the new subscription too, that was my mistake. But I should have the old licenses too right?
did not know this was a thing. I will definitely keep this in mind

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I almost bought the PS4 version of Cross Code yesterday instead of the PS5 version. I didn't even know there was a PS5 version I only saw it cause I kept scrolling down. They really need to do a better job, at even just unifying their store.
That game has a free upgrade so it wouldn't have mattered in that case anyway. But for games that don't have a free upgrade... yeah it would've sucked and they should fix that.

mceNT

Banned
Aug 3, 2023
Am I the only one that dislikes the Steam store? The software feels ancient and the UI is so cluttered.

I dislike the Steam store as well, but it's a lot better than the eShop (on Switch), the MS Store (on Xbox), and PS Store (on PS5). That said, navigating the eShop on the web is a much pleasant experience than any of the other options overall, including Steam, although obviously it has far fewer features.