• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HangryJacks

Apr 3, 2019
The differences between 720p and 1080p are pretty obvious, but if u compare 4k to 8k its pretty unnoticeable.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The problem with this question is you are asking the very group that counts pixels.

I can usually tell but art direction is massive and pixels and realism does not always equal fun where an art style can add to it (cup head)

I enjoy 4K but it would take a lot to sell me on a higher resolution. I don't even think most media has caught up to 4K yet.

And than there's HDR

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Assuming there is no text,, could you make a visual difference between the different resolutions. People sometimes get really frustrated when a game does not support 4k, but if I claim I run a game in 4k, can you say if I am truly running it at 4 k or not?
Update: Let us say for example youare two meters away from the screen witha 24'' screen.
Two meters from a 24" screen? At that size and distance, anything above 1080p will look the same.

On my 55" TV I can tell the difference between 720p, 900p, 1080p, and something close to 4k (checkerboard rendering is very hard to tell apart from native 4k for me).

I'm playing Arkham Knight on my One X on my 4k tv right now and it looks like a blurry mess because it's not a native 16:9 resolution. I think it runs at 900p.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Differences between 720, 1080 and 4K yes. Haven't been in front of an 8k screen yet.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From up to 4K, yes.

However I suspect diminishing return will make 8K barely noticeable compared to 4K unless I'm relatively close to the screen.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
at about 13 ft away from my tv and its hard to tell 1080 from 4k for me, unless the 1080 has no AA, if im looking closeup sure.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
That update in the OP... lol...

Anyhow, yes, I'll be able to tell the difference under normal circumstances. Under your very specific update scenario, probably not 4k from 8k, but if you really want to give those goalposts legs, you may as well pose the hypothetical that if we were Daredevil, the screen isn't on, and we're out fighting crimes, can we still tell the difference? I would think this would definitely get the answer you seem to be looking for.

Look, I'm not sure what started this, but it's fine that you or anyone don't care about the resolution past a certain point, it's also fine that someone else feels otherwise. Personally, it depends on the game, I generally have lower standard if it's an anime game, or if I fully intend to play it on the go(sacrificing quality for performance is cool), but sometimes, if I'm playing a game sitting down, I really ain't going to complain that it's 4k or above, even if I was playing it at 2 metres away with a 24" screen for some bloody reason.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming there is no text,, could you make a visual difference between the different resolutions. People sometimes get really frustrated when a game does not support 4k, but if I claim I run a game in 4k, can you say if I am truly running it at 4 k or not?
Update: Let us say for example youare two meters away from the screen witha 24'' screen.
Beyond 4k very doubtful due to pixel density.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

I hope others in this thread have called you out on how absurd 2 meters away from a 24" screen is. At that size and distance I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. At realistic sizes and distances however it's very easy to see the difference. I don't know about 8k though as I have not seen 8k.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Haven't seen the difference between 4K and 8k, but I can defiantly tell the difference between 1080p games and 4K games on my 65" OLED.

1080p looks like blurry trash. 4K looks amazing.

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
It makes no sense asking this question in a gaming enthusiast forum lol.

Go find a community of freemium smartphone games and ask there or something.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

i cant speak to your hypthetical, but as someone who swore resolution was no big deal at x1 launch, i sure noticed when i went from a 720p set to forza at 1080p and more recently to a x1x downsampling 4k to the same 1080p set. its a pretty big difference. i liken it to wearing glasses vs not. so yeah, i think i could spot the differences pretty easy - at least in my living room.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I have a 1440p monitor on my desk and a 4K TV mounted on the wall behind it and the difference is pretty clear when switching games between the displays - especially if the game has HDR support -.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
depends on the game

the difference between 720p and 8k is absolutely astronomical though

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Again, we still don't have information like the resolution, DPI, etc. of this hypothetical screen. It may as well be 480p and the HD content is downsampled and will look the same.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
2m away from a 24" screen is too far. I could tell 720p from 1080p but probably not anything more.

I usually sit about 2-3m away from a 55" screen, and I can definitely tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and 4K at that distance and screen size. Picking between, say, 1800p and actual 4K would be a problem, particularly with the kind of post-processing games have these days, and I really doubt I'd get any benefit from 8K (at least without a massive screen size), but, yeah, the differences between 720, 1080 and 4K are quite noticeable.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely yes, though probably depends on the size of the screen and said distance. I'm not sure about how it'd come off on a smaller sized screen, but I was blown away by the level of clarity of an 8K picture/video.

NHK was at New York Comic Con two years back with a massive setup playing a stop-motion video they made of Domo-kun(s). I think they said the tv was 110" or something, that at that time, it was the largest 8K screen currently in NA or the like.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Depends on the game, really. Some titles, the difference between 1080 and 4k is stark, especially with quality HDR implementation. Other games? Not really. And I have a relatively good 4k tv.

Never seen 8k, so no opinion there.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Between 720 and 1080? Yeah, easily.

Between 1080 and 4K? Yes, but the difference is less pronounced.

Between 4K and 8K? I don't know, never seen an 8K set in person... if I had to guess, the answer would probably be yes but with the difference being less pronounced than the jump to 4K.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I find the difference between 1440p and 4k to be fairly subtle, otherwise all those other resolution comparisons are really obvious. Honestly if you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p you need to get your eyes tested.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say it depends on the size of the tv, at 32" for example I dont think I could exactly tell the resolution if you ask me, if you put them one next to the other and ask me I would obviously be able to tell which one has highter resolution.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I say it depends on the size of the tv, at 32" for example I dont think I could exactly tell the resolution if you ask me, if you put them one next to the other and ask me I would obviously be able to tell which one has highter resolution.

size and distance, in a PC with a 20" monitor at a normal distance it would be very easy to tell 720 and 1080 apart, in a 30" TV from a normal distance maybe not so much.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I could between 4K and 8K as I never saw anything in 8K. For the rest, absolutely, yes.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't seen 8k but i can tell the difference between 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k. I don't know how someone can't. It's like 30fps, 60fps and 120fps. They are highly noticeable.

I can tell the difference of the resolutions on my monitor.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Easily from 720->1080->4k. From anecdote I can still tell the difference between 4K->8K, but the change is fairly negligible.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
never seen 8k yet other than in TV showrooms
I can notice the difference between 4k, 1080, 720 on my TV or laptop
2m away from a 24" screen?? Yeah I can guarantee to say with confidence almost nobody will play games this way
the FOV at that point is 15.6° and visual acuity distance is at 0.96 m for 1080p and 1.66m for 720p further than this you wouldn't even be able to read small texts like descriptions or tooltips and you're putting unnecessary strain on your eyes for no reason
the recommended distance is 0.77m for 24" screens

Edit: If your not looking for a gotcha moment, at 2m on 24" screen for a normal human's visual acuity, the point at which resolution should not make much difference above is around 800x600 (not exact)

Last edited:

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell the difference, so long as I'm close enough to the TV when it comes to 1080p to 4K. I haven't seen an 8k set. I imagine the difference between resolutions would be more pronounced in VR, where the screen is literally on my face. In my current set up, I don't really have any need for a 4K TV. I like laying back on my couch and having some distance from my TV.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I can.

But it doesn't really answer the question of why should I care ...

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Of course i can, maybe between 1440p and 4k i would need at least a 27 inch display to notice it, and between 1080p and 1440p a 22 inch

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
8K I have yet to see, but LOL at your question for the rest. Seriously LOL. If you can't make a difference you need your eyes checked or just stop thinking about resolutions at all, as it's not for you.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
haven't seen 8K but there is a BIG difference between 720/1080/2160p. i have a 1440p monitor there is a significant difference between that and 1080/2160p too. so yeah i'm pretty sure i'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

framerate is a bit harder when you go beyond 60hz i think. i mean, yeah i can see the difference going from a 60hz monitor to 144hz but i feel that after 60hz it drops off hard. on my 144hz i ran a test to make it randomly jump between 30 + 144fps. between 70-144fps i couldn't tell the difference. once it hit ~60 it will still smooth but i could tell it had slowed down. 30-60 is very rough.

1440p 60hz for me is the sweetspot. with 4K you need a large screen (i have a 32" monitor) to really make use of it. 144hz monitors aren't really worth it unless you are playing a lot of games like Fortnite, Overwatch, Rocket League. In a lot of games I can't even tell the difference between 60 + 144hz.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Between 4k and 8k. Not sure. Need a really big screen for that I guess. 1080p and 4k should be fairly easy on any screen of decent size.
720p and 1080p is pretty easy on anything but a very small screen.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The real question, and what would be a real interesting blinded test, would be if people can tell the difference between a really good reconstructed 4K (DMCV, Anthem etc) and native 4K.

I imagine most people under normal viewing conditions probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. When digital foundry tested the DMCV demo they thought it was native. And that was pixel counting. The idea that anyone can tell the difference while playing seems absurd to me based on that, but a lot of people claim it's "huge".

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely can make out the difference of 720p, 1080p and 4k. I don't know about 8k though, I didn't see that on a TV before. I guess at one point we will reach an as crisp and clean image where it really is hard to notice any further image improvement though.