squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play on easy mode but I don't shame those who do. I'm with you OP. If you're playing a single player game, play however you want. Use cheats, use NSFW mods, play easy, play hard, whatever. You're not affecting anybody else and you're having fun on your own time, which is exactly what video games should be about.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If playing Dark Souls enrages you due to the difficulty... don't play it?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I got rid of Mr. X in RE2 using cheats on PC and got the same treatment. I don't really care if people shame me for it though, still enjoyed the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
What's up with this "I have a job so I can't bother playing dark souls" talk. Is everyone who finnished dark souls a jobless neet? Just say that you're not that good and that's okay. These excuses are stupid.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Wasn't there a very similar thread recently?

Frankly, I still feel like everyone should play on whatever difficulty one likes, but if someone prefers easy then that person should not pick up a From game and constantly ask for an easy mode. Not every game has to be beatable for everyone

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I like RPGs. I dont like wasting my time trying to the same thing over and over. I have very little time to play games, so I definitely dont want to spend my time stuck repeating something.
I would just focus on the things you feel are worth your time then. You say you want to get into Souls games but the director has stated that overcoming challenges is a core part of their experiences. There is nothing to overcome if you are just bootyblasting trash mobs in one hit and beating bosses first try.

When I get home from work I pop on a game like AC Odyssey, as like you said I'm just trying to relax instead of repeating something challenging. There's always a time and place for stuff but I don't think any developers should sacrifice their visions either. Pick and choose the right game for you.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I don't regularly play on easy, but I wish I knew which games are better on easy and which ones on normal.

I'm sure I'd have enjoyed REmake 2 a lot more if I had played it on easy. Oh well.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Needs a logo.

simplemaze1.gif

beat me to it

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. I do for some genre's too, or sometimes if it's just a game that i'm playing for the story, but the combat does nothing for me, Spiderman, for instance.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sooo... who are these people shaming you again? People here?

Or this just one of those
Nobody:
You: COMPLETELY UNPROVOKED DEFENSIVE OPINION

things?

What's up with this "I have a job so I can't bother playing dark souls" talk. Is everyone who finnished dark souls a jobless neet? Just say that you're not that good and that's okay. These excuses are stupid.

I think they're just meant as passive aggressive insults.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
I'm with you. I usually start games off on the Normal difficulty and switch to Easy if an encounter is giving me trouble or taking too long for my liking. Especially if said game has a decent narrative that I want to progress. The courthouse segment in Wolfenstein II was a recent example for me; after a handful of attempts, I went "Nope, life is too short to get pissed off at this shit" and cranked it down to the "baby" difficulty and left it there to rush through the rest of the game and see where the story went. I feel absolutely no shame about it either.

Shinoobi

Jan 1, 2018
Austin, Texas
I dont think anybody is trying to be insulting when they use their job as an excuse to not play FROM games. Time is limited, and people want to get through as much entertainment as possible.

My bf and I are actually opposite in this. He plays most things (if not eveything) on hard, and I usually play on easy. I only started really getting into video games a few years ago and played on easy to ease myself in. Now it's just a comfort thing although eventually I do want to start playing all my games on normal.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I play on easy all the time. Who gives a shit. You paid for the game; enjoy it how you see fit.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what you want to get out of a game. If your'e all about atmosphere and exploration and story, then hell yeah, put that shit on easy.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
As long as you aren't out to attack games that provide those things you dislike nobody should give a shit about what you do.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I've found myself playing on easy more and more. I end up having more fun that way to avoid potential frustration. My main goal is to relax while playing games.

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
Me too. I'm playing persona 4 golden on vita on the easiest difficulty because I just want to experience the story, I only have like 2 hours each week to play so I like to feel like I'm progressing each time.

Oct 27, 2017
If people are giving you issues for playing games on Easy they really shouldn't and you shouldn't worry about it, how you prefer to play has no bearing on their experience and your enjoyment of gaming is just as valid. For me personally, I've never gotten any flack over it. In addition to playing Easy modes I use PC trainers, Cheat Engine, Console save editors and other hacks all the time. Play how you want to play.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do you man. I won't judge. Hell I would love an easy mode to Dark Souls. Don't have time to sink in punishing games like that.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
people who would shame you over the difficulty you play a videogame on aren't worth anyones time and should be ashamed of theirselves.

Stop caring what other people think about how you enjoy consumable entertainment.

Couldn't agree with this more. I play games for the immersion and appreciation of the medium as an art form.

I know that sounds pompous, but I just love how games are designed, from the environment structure, textures, developer techniques to engage the player, right down to the game's cover art and packaging.

That's not to say I don't enjoy a challenge here and there, (particularly locally with friends) but I'm usually playing games to escape and relax.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
This is me but for JRPGs. I was never a fan of turn based combat, but I love some of JRPG stories and fictional settings.So, any interesting turn based JRPG, I play on easy, sometimes on normal if its too easy just because I don't want to grind for hours in some area to continue through the story.
It's not because I suck at the games but more like I care more about the story and I have limited time to game.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Enjoy your fucking videogames man. I used to enjoy very difficult action games as a teen but once the whole adulting thing got started in my life I stick to normal difficulty in everything and have no qualms about dropping to easy (even though it's usually not necessary). The reasoning is exactly like yours. Especially the "training to be a pro at basketball" part, that really resonates with me.

So yeah OP, you do you. Don't let anyone tell you you're a lesser gamer for it. Enjoy videogames!

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. Games that are too hard feel like work.

I don't like doing more work after getting done with work.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's your personal entertainment and it's a legit and proper one. You entertain yourself however you want, why would you ever feel ashamed about it?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused as to why people keep making these threads, especially because you barely mentioned anyone in the OP making you feel bad for this. Just do what makes you happy, in the case of your op it doesnt even seem like theres anyone specifically chiding you for it, just that you feel theres a general notion about playing on easy.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I find the sense of mastery gratifying and like proving to myself I can do something but to each their own.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I am the same OP I play games on easy to experience the game enjoy your games and stop stressing buddy

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would just focus on the things you feel are worth your time then. You say you want to get into Souls games but the director has stated that overcoming challenges is a core part of their experiences. There is nothing to overcome if you are just bootyblasting trash mobs in one hit and beating bosses first try.

When I get home from work I pop on a game like AC Odyssey, as like you said I'm just trying to relax instead of repeating something challenging. There's always a time and place for stuff but I don't think any developers should sacrifice their visions either. Pick and choose the right game for you.
I like your insight. Makes me not feel so bad for skipping over from software.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Skyrim for the first time (i accidentally killed Lydia, i feel so bad) and i noticed that the only difference the difficulty setting ends up making is how many arrows i have to buy.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Enter any Soulsborne thread regarding difficulty modes and you will find elitist jerks in the trenches shooting every ammunition possible to shame people for wanting such an option.
This is probably exactly where this sentiment is coming from. People think that disagreeing about difficulty options is the same as shaming people for preferring different types of difficulties which is a load of bullshit. No one is being attacked because others dont agree that every game needs multiple difficulty modes. Thats just you being self conscious.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Enter any Soulsborne thread regarding difficulty modes and you will find elitist jerks in the trenches shooting every ammunition possible to shame people for wanting such an option.
While anyone actually shaming others about this is shitty, that's not exactly the same situation. Soul's difficulty is inherent to the experience and people don't think it should have an easy mode. That's not shaming anyone, and I'm pretty sure for the VAST majority of games no one bar some anomalies would be bothered by anyone playing on easy.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
SHAME!
/s

Seriously though, play how you like. That's one of the best things about video games is that you can do it how you want. Who cares if other people think it's dumb, it makes you happy. It doesn't affect them, so the fact that they even comment on it just shows how empty their lives are.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Souls games have difficulty options, they're not just presented as a blanket easy/normal/hard selection. Different builds are easier/harder than others, you can ask for online help from other players (have other players beat bosses for you), read hints left from other players, and when all else fails, you can always grind. You can also just plain run past a lot of enemies without fighting them.

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with playing on easy at all. I have to play on at least normal difficulty first to get to know the game before I try engaging it on any harder difficulty, where everyone else I know pretty much jumps to hard right away.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Agreed. I guess those people relate having a job to not enjoying a good challenge... or being good at games.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the only time I've ever had problem with people playing easy mode was when they tried to say the gameplay was "bad" as a result. If you're not experiencing any of the challenges and stuff yeah I imagine the game can be "dull" or if you're just mashing the x button.

So long your enjoyment of the game doesn't come as a put down to the gameplay because you're there for different things, I'm all for it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
*complains about people shaming him for playing on easy*
*shames people playing on hard as immature and trying to prove something*

Threads about difficulty in a nutshell.

Specially in this forum. I lost count of how many "i dont enjoy long/challenging games" and threads praising games that give accesibility options like Celeste and Mario Kart ive seen here and dont recall many (if any) praising difficult games but every time these threads always start with THIS EASY SHAMING NEEDS TO STOP

If there's a difficulty selection pick what you enjoy most and roll with it. This serves for both people playing on easy and people playing on hardest. Playing on easy doesnt make anyone "not a true gamer!!!" and playing on hard doesn't make anyone a jobless NEET. Sadly i see way more accusations of the later than the former.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Dying kills the immersion for me, if I'm Spiderman I shouldn't be dying to random thugs or anyone for that matter, so I lowered the difficulty until I felt like a superhero. I don't mind hard games though, I've finished all of the Soulsborne games, but their difficulty is part of the charm.