BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, British Columbia
I tried to update something but was being prompted to first "verify" the email address on the Epic account. I waited and waited but wasn't receiving the email needed to verify. I then noticed that the email address used to register my son's Fortnite account had a small typo in it... whoops, my mistake.

I tried to change the email address, but you cannot do this until it is first "verified". I then tried to un-link his PSN account associated with the account (to link it to one with the correct credentials), but you cannot do this until it is verified either. It's not possible to verify an email that's wrong, obviously. I tried to then register the typo'd email address on gmail - but it's already taken. It's also impossible to link a PSN account to more than one Epic account.

The only thing left to do was to reach out to Epic's support. I submitted a ticket and asked for them to modify the email address with the typo for me and submitted tons of verification that I was the account holder (IP addresses, billing information, account creation dates etc) and immediately got an email back --- "changing the registered email address is not supported at this time".

What?

I replied to the email and requested that the PSN account associated with this Epic account be "un-linked", so I could link it to the right email address, and have the account with the wrong email closed. I didn't think this would be a problem as it's something that you can do easily on their website (when verified).

I never got an email back, but I tried to log in again with the same Epic account and I got an error that the account was now "Inactive". When I tried to manually "link" the PSN account to the correct email address, it says the "PSN account is associated to another Epic account"... well, the Epic account it is associated to is now closed and this is apparently irreversible. Firing up Fortnite on the PS4 gives a message that the account is inactive and log-in has failed.

I sent of a third email explaining and was told that it was "impossible to change due to security concerns".

So here I am - tried to update my son's Fortnite account to have the correct information and he has been essentially been permanently banned because of it. Only option now would be to abandon his PSN account and create a new one, losing all progress and stuff and he's pretty devastated :(

For a game aimed at younger people, the account management and technical support is confusing and limited.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I tried to update something but was being prompted to first "verify" the email address on the Epic account. I waited and waited but wasn't receiving the email needed to verify. I then noticed that the email address used to register my son's Fortnite account had a small typo in it... whoops, my mistake.

I tried to change the email address, but you cannot do this until it is first "verified". I then tried to un-link his PSN account associated with the account (to link it to one with the correct credentials), but you cannot do this until it is verified either. It's not possible to verify an email that's wrong, obviously. I tried to then register the typo'd email address on gmail - but it's already taken. It's also impossible to link a PSN account to more than one Epic account.

The only thing left to do was to reach out to Epic's support. I submitted a ticket and asked for them to modify the email address with the typo for me and submitted tons of verification that I was the account holder (IP addresses, billing information, account creation dates etc) and immediately got an email back --- "changing the registered email address is not supported at this time".

What?

I replied to the email and requested that the PSN account associated with this Epic account be "un-linked", so I could link it to the right email address, and have the account with the wrong email closed. I didn't think this would be a problem as it's something that you can do easily on their website (when verified).

I never got an email back, but I tried to log in again with the same Epic account and I got an error that the account was now "Inactive". When I tried to manually "link" the PSN account to the correct email address, it says the "PSN account is associated to another Epic account"... well, the Epic account it is associated to is now closed and this is apparently irreversible. Firing up Fortnite on the PS4 gives a message that the account is inactive and log-in has failed.

I sent of a third email explaining and was told that it was "impossible to change due to security concerns".

So here I am - tried to update my son's Fortnite account to have the correct information and he has been essentially been permanently banned because of it. Only option now would be to abandon his PSN account and create a new one, losing all progress and stuff and he's pretty devastated :(

For a game aimed at younger people, the account management and technical support is confusing and limited.

Looks like you got dealt a bad hand...

I'm sorry.

Oct 28, 2017

What?

Yikes! That's horrible. :(

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That sucks.

Have you thought of posting this to r/Fortnite? It might help it get looked at, I think some devs/staff browse the subreddit.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that it's a game with limited time events/items makes this... really rough.

Hopefully someone from epic reaches out to you

ferr

Oct 25, 2017
Create an email account that contains the typo of your actual email. Resend verification, verify, change email, verify.

If it is taken, email that person?

OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
Bother them until they unban him

I've submitted another ticket and hoping that a different rep will be more prepared to recover it or (even better) just unlink the PSN account, so I can re-register it under another account. I should calrify that he hasn't been "banned", the account has been closed down, with the PSN account seemingly permanently locked to it, and no way to free it up.

I take responsibility for this, but honestly I'm quite shocked that the process of deleting something doesn't automatically unlink the PSN account.

You tried emailing the typoed ID?

This did cross my mind prior to the account being closed, but I think it's too late now, at least until Epic un-delete their account.

try to see if there are devs on twitter who might be able to help as well

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll take a look. I better finally figure out how Twitter works lol

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I'm surprised you can create an account without verifying the email first, anyways this is bullshit, did you spent money on it ? there is no good reason for them to close your account like that while your providing all the info proving you are the owner, it make no sense. Try to contact them via phone or keep sending ticket, you could also try creating a post on the subreddit with the same title, there is a lot of epic worker over there.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
The process is so weird. How could the system accept an unverified email (that it's not the same the PSN ID has)

It seems like such a stupid way of handling things on Epic's end

Maybe the person with the typoed email received that and appropiated the account?

Now I'm curious what the email address is lol

OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you can create an account without verifying the email first, anyways this is bullshit, did you spent money on it ? there is no good reason for them to close your account like that while your providing all the info proving you are the owner, it make no sense. Try to contact them via phone or keep sending ticket, you could also try creating a post on the subreddit with the same title, there is a lot of epic worker over there.

I don't even remember setting up an Epic account. I just downloaded the game on the PS Store and then breezed through menus using the PSN ID already on the PS4. At some point at the initial setup I must have typed it in using the DualShock controller, and fucked up.

I also can't believe no verification is needed at first. At the very least, ask me to type it in twice to confirm there's no errors....

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

What?

I'm shocked this was able to happen. I created an account on my laptop for my nephew, and I had to first verify the email before he could even get in the client. Maybe it works differently on PC?

Their processes are really fubar, for you to find yourself in such a conundrum while doing something so simple. They should have a warning plastered about attempting to un-link a PSN account or change an email address, if it can cause this much trouble.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Your best bet now is to bribe your son with one of the game's exclusive costumes, like the one that comes from buying a specific PS4 model and then used it on a new account.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is incompetent on Epic's part. For the life of me I don't recall a single website that upon account creation doesn't allow you to resend to a different phone number or email account from the one you sent.

I get he was also trying to link another account but in the few recent cases I linked account they didn't seem that limited.

So bizarre.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post this on the fortnite battle Royale sub reddit. Nothing will be done if you post here.

Link the post and we can up vote it for visibility. Epic employees visit that sub reddit quite often

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how did you create the Fortnite account with the typo email in the first place? Don't you have to verify the email when you first create the account?

OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
Your best bet now is to bribe your son with one of the game's exclusive costumes, like the one that comes from buying a specific PS4 model and then used it on a new account.

My son just bought the Spiderman PS4 BF deal yesterday, which he paid with his own money which he earned/saved up for like two years. At least he has Spiderman while I try to figure this out, Obviously I'll need to make this up to him if I can't. I feel like a total ass right now.

I remember losing a PS1 memory card when I was a kid, and it was crushing.

Wait, how did you create the Fortnite account with the typo email in the first place? Don't you have to verify the email when you first create the account?

I don't really remember, the account was setup through the PS4's PSN ID. Even to this day, the email on the account was not verified, so it is definitely not a requirement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
R/fortnitebr and Twitter is definitely your best bet after customer service. Best of luck.

Post this on the fortnite battle Royale sub reddit. Nothing will be done if you post here.

Link the post and we can up vote it for visibility. Epic employees visit that sub reddit quite often

Thanks guys - I will do this, and also maybe make a post on the Epic forums tomorrow. I feel like I've been trying to get my head around this for hours and it's quite mentally exhausting, posting here was just a vent.

The official twitter support for Fortnite looks very inactive and the forums constantly direct people to make a support ticket, but i'll definitely give it ago and maybe try to message someone on the reddit website suggested.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised you can create an account without verifying the email first
This is weirdly more common than you'd expect, as I've gotten a number of emails that others used to sign up for accounts for real life things like insurance companies, auto shops, etc that don't do any verification up front since they're probably doing this in person. It's telling how eager some of these companies are about sending out personal info out to an unverified email that those people know they don't own, which I'm guessing is why they easily get hacked or whatever.

A company in any sort of tech industry should easily know better than to not ask for verification upfront for new accounts.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i had an account created on Switch since like july and only verified my email like last month when i linked my PSN profile to it since i wanted to try the PS4 version after they opened up cross-play.

it's pretty weird how they let you do that without any verification and even let you spend money without verifying either (i got vbucks for the battle pass way before i verified my email). they need to tighten up that a bit more.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Just mail major websites your story until they cover it and post it on the Fortnite reddit and then Epic will nigh assuredly immediately fix your issue.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Paying for PSN you should definitely not have to deal with this fucking bullshite. I tried playing Battlefield on a sub account and it seems I have to register on Ea.com or some crap and link the accounts together

Nov 14, 2017

This is weirdly more common than you'd expect, as I've gotten a number of emails that others used to sign up for accounts for real life things like insurance companies, auto shops, etc that don't do any verification up front since they're probably doing this in person. It's telling how eager some of these companies are about sending out personal info out to an unverified email that those people know they don't own, which I'm guessing is why they easily get hacked or whatever.

A company in any sort of tech industry should easily know better than to not ask for verification upfront for new accounts.

As I got into Gmail early, I have my first name and last name at gmail. As a consequence, I got so many accounts for other people. At some point someone even managed to make an eBay account using a variation of my gmail address that had an extra period in it somewhere. I think they purchased something too.

OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
As I got into Gmail early, I have my first name and last name at gmail. As a consequence, I got so many accounts for other people. At some point someone even managed to make an eBay account using a variation of my gmail address that had an extra period in it somewhere. I think they purchased something too.

My sons email is basically his first and last name too, but I missed out a number at the end.

Some poor bastard probably got about 10 verification emails today as I constantly mashed the resend button.

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
My sons email is basically his first and last name too, but I missed out a number at the end.

Some poor bastard probably got about 10 verification emails today as I constantly mashed the resend button.
Don't mash re send buttons. This is probably why you're getting push back from their CS. For all they know they might think you're in the wrong here.

Keep submitting tickets. When you actually get a helpful person make sure you have the wrong email and then the right one to switch it to.

I would also recommend having some kind of photo ID or credit card / payment information so it will help them verify it is you.

Like other posters mentioned this is a silly oversight on their part. Most games making you register an account do go through email verification first before your first sign in. If you get a chance, call them out on it. It's something they should be doing.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Paying for PSN you should definitely not have to deal with this fucking bullshite. I tried playing Battlefield on a sub account and it seems I have to register on Ea.com or some crap and link the accounts together
What does paying for PSN have to do with a bummed email on the Epic account?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
That sucks.

I would suggest posting this to /r/FortniteBR and /r/Fortnite and hoping it gets a tonne of upvotes.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to get Epic support to reliably function for the average user.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Post it on Fortnite BR's Subreddit. If it blows up (these things normally do), EPIC will fix it.

OP
OP
BadHand

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
The way I read the OP was that Epic was asking the OP to verify they were the account creators, not PSN.

The tech support never asked me to verify I was the account creator. I just volunteered this information up in my original email to preempt being asked for it.

The very first email I got was a simple "no" and I got the impression that it wasn't a possible due to a technical reason, despite being able to prove my identify. Their first email said they were unable to change email addresses "at this time" and their second email said that the my can't "unlink" my PSN accounts due to security reasons.

Until today, I had no idea there even was an Epic account that was setup automatically through PSN. I don't doubt I just clicked through without reading it... but naturally I would have paid a bit more attention had I known the issues.

I've always had a difficult time understanding how all these different accounts tie in to each other - it gives me flashbacks to my FFXI days

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The tech support never asked me to verify I was the account creator. I just volunteered this information up in my original email to preempt being asked for it.
Oh no, I meant this line:
It sounded like Epic wanted you to verify that you owned the account, but it just so happened to have a typo.

It is rather confusing with all these different accounts. Were you trying to setup your son's Fortnite account on his new PS4 and that is what prompted all of this?