• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane so many people don't understand why you might have pride in your country to fly it's colors. Some of you are just too dense.

OP
OP
AppleBlade

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Thanks for all the feedback. Seeing that the response is largely positive makes me happy.

The biggest criticism seems to be the flag which caught me by surprise. I usually have a UConn Huskies flag up most of the year but the Memorial Day parade usually goes on my street so I put-up the American Flag in the summer. A lot of houses on my street do that as well (including my immediate neighbors). The town I live in is actually on the liberal progressive side of things so I don't view it quite in the same way as some of you maybe are perceiving it.

Oct 25, 2017
Only on Resetera will you find a thread about a house paint color that blows up over hanging a flag on a house.

Some of you people are just fucking embarrassing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback. Seeing that the response is largely positive makes me happy.

The biggest criticism seems to be the flag which caught me by surprise. I usually have a UConn Huskies flag up most of the year but the Memorial Day parade usually goes on my street so I put-up the American Flag in the summer. A lot of houses on my street do that as well (including my immediate neighbors). The town I live in is actually on the liberal progressive side of things so I don't view it quite in the same way as some of you maybe are perceiving it.
Don't worry about the flag OP. House looks great.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping that this thread was getting a lot of activity because of hilarious photoshops of OP's charming house, but instead it's just that a few people think it's worth arguing about someone hanging a flag.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
You are making a few leaps of judgement here Andrew. I didn't suggest that someone with a flag is a Trump supporting racist.

As you suggest I live in England, and it might be our cultural views on patriotism differ. I am suspicious of anyone who is overtly patriotic. I think being proud of your country is weird.

Flags are rare here. If I saw someone with an England flag outside their house (outside of a major sporting tournament like the world cup), I would assume that they are a racist. If they had a British flag I world assume that they at the very least hold extremely Conservative views.

I certainly do find some aspects of American overt patriotism weird, even troubling. Pledge of allegiance is some weird level of indoctrination, and singing the national anthem before domestic sporting events seems unnecessary. If I see someone waving an American flag I would be suspicious, what is so great about America?
see so what you're saying is that this boils down to what I suspected originally: a misunderstanding across different cultural norms.

In the US it's not abnormal to have a flag up over a national holiday, even if you're extremely liberal/progressive and find stuff like the pledge at school and anthem at sports games straight up Verhoeven-esque fascistic indoctrination.

Meanwhile in the UK it's not abnormal to be a snooty scold judgmental of all outsiders

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, love the colour personally, don't think you went too bright. The only possible reason I can think of to be concerned is if you planned to sell the house soon, since prospective buyers seem to balk at anything that's even a little out of the ordinary. But it's your goddamned house; what's the point of buying one if you can't do whatever you want to it (within reason)?

(also man I hate America as much as anyone but it's just a flag of the country they live in, come on)

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017

Don't worry about the flag. All the criticism about it was insane. I'm as critical of the U.S. as anyone and live in a very leftist town and it's fine. As you say there's a community aesthetic going on for the holiday too.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Lol at all these posts. It's ok to fly the actual US/American flag. You actually can be a well intentioned patriot and want to actually improve things while still flying it.

I'm being silly cuz everyone else. Fly proud, American. Fly proud, and fly true.

Only on Resetera will you find a thread about a house paint color that blows up over hanging a flag on a house.

Some of you people are just fucking embarrassing.

Found another flag flyer fellas

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like brighter colors, it makes the house look newer and less faded, thus higher value.
Although if you don't keep up maintenance you're broadcasting it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry about it. It's different per country. You probably don't see any bad in it, like many others. In Europe we're a bit sparse with it as we had some bad experience with nationalism in the past.
I remember there was a big discussion in The Netherlands whether or not a Dutch flag was allowed to be in the house of chambers even. There are only a handful of days where we can raise a flag. And even then a lot don't do it. WWII kinda ruined the flag thingy i think.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about the flag thing, in America it's seemingly normal but honestly the rest of the world finds that stuff fucking weird. You live in America though so it's fine. I'm sure there are things other countries do that Americans would be like WTF IS THAT MAD SHIT over.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this thread would end up about the flag...

color looks good. wouldn't be considered out of place or garish at all in my town. Looks much better than the old one