• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I'm not sure this is the place in this forum for this. Let me know if it isn't. And yes, spoilers ahoy, so if you haven't played it to the ending, you should probably head back.

I've just finished it. I never really gave it a second look, though my girlfriend once tried to play it on Android and gave up and some point, so I figured since we had a few days off we could play it together.

I'm a 35 year old guy. But I was once 18. And I don't think I've ever felt as identified with a character as I was with Max. I was shy, for sure, but I was a nerd into computers and video games but hearing her philosophically pondering about random items (that dish washer? how many generations of fashion went through it? That car? how many people fucked in there?) instantly threw me back to the time I was 18 and spent so much thinking and over thinking stuff, meandering, and wandering in my own thoughts, how I forged some everlasting friendships and how others were lost in time forever, how life seemed so damn strange. Granted, I never caused a giant ass tornado to save my best friend (love?) but I do remember being confused and distraught about everyone else's life, what secrets they had, and what they wanted to do with their own lives.

I did not kiss any guy on a dare, but a guy did kiss me. He's a close friend, who did it to freak me out. Didn't work. I was too drunk to care.

But I digress. I was impressed by how well written the characters were. I was impressed by how much I felt while playing. I was impressed by the game.

I really disliked Chloe. I'm not sure if there is any official ending and I'm not sure if I'm ready to go through the rest of the series, but I thought she really did not get over Rachel and it annoyed me how attached she was to her. I was jealous, as dumb as it might be. I also didn't feel like the rest of the town needed to suffer because of Max's personal quest to save Chloe, who had proven would readily throw her to the wolves to save herself. I just couldn't trust her. But i still felt guilty, despite her always being close to dying and having to save her ass every day. I was ready to give up on her at the end of the four episode. Turns out I still had to choose.

It wasn't easy anyway.

How did you guys feel about the games? Are the rest of the series worth playing?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
And I don't think I've ever felt as identified with a character as I was with Max.

Right there with you, OP. I was in my very early twenties when I first played it, so the identification was perhaps a bit easier. Still get a bit annoyed when people describe her as a "blank slate" character. It felt to me like calling an introverted person boring. Just dig a little deeper.

Also, you should play the prequel and the sequel. While I didn't find either of them as strong as the first one, they both have their own qualities definitely worth seeking out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I found Chloe elementally unlikeable as well. It was really hard to stay invested in a story that was focused so hard around such a jerk. She makes life worse for basically everyone around her and blamed everyone but herself for her problems, and it reminded me A LOT of my extremely toxic brother.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played through a few weeks ago and also really, really didn't like Chloe. I don't hold it against her - she's a dumb kid who's been dealt a shit hand by life and still has some growing up to do - but like, damn, so obnoxious. I knew people like her in college and didn't have much patience for them then. Interestingly, I remember when my girlfriend at the time was playing it, she really loved Chloe... I think it reminded her of her roommate at the time. She had always had an affection for those "strong personality" types.

But at the very end when, the tornado came and Chloe's like: this is all my fault, you need to just let me die, I pretty much rolled my eyes. There's no logic to that, even in this goofy illogical time traveling universe, it's just more of her self-centered histrionics. With the information I had, I let the damn tornado come - because that was the lesson I took from the series. Specifically, stop fucking time travel you just keep making things worse. But in a more general sense, you have to learn to live with your decisions and let come what may. There's no destiny, there's just things that happen, and you do your best and hope those things are good.

I found the Chloe ending pretty unsatisfying though, as it didn't really shed ANY light on what the consequences of that choice were. Who knows. Max should have just run away with Kate at the end either way.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Great game and I agree about Chloe, very unlikeable because of how she chose to treat others.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I really disliked Chloe.
That's all you needed to say. We are now best friends.

I found Chloe elementally unlikeable as well. It was really hard to stay invested in a story that was focused so hard around such a jerk. She makes life worse for basically everyone around her and blamed everyone but herself for her problems, and it reminded me A LOT of my extremely toxic brother.
You too.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved LiS because it was so similar and yet so different from my own experience. Playing the game, I felt a sense of...longing, I suppose? Like I was nostalgic for a life I never got to live.

Anyway, I saw Chloe as a friend that I needed to keep grounded. She wasn't a good person, but she was there for you when you needed her, and that should count for something.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

Yup.

That final choice was much easier for me because I had no strong attachment to Chloe and the game asked me to make the call. To their credit though, Before the Storm Chloe is much more likeable IMO.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this is the place in this forum for this. Let me know if it isn't. And yes, spoilers ahoy, so if you haven't played it to the ending, you should probably head back.

I've just finished it. I never really gave it a second look, though my girlfriend once tried to play it on Android and gave up and some point, so I figured since we had a few days off we could play it together.

I'm a 35 year old guy. But I was once 18. And I don't think I've ever felt as identified with a character as I was with Max. I was shy, for sure, but I was a nerd into computers and video games but hearing her philosophically pondering about random items (that dish washer? how many generations of fashion went through it? That car? how many people fucked in there?) instantly threw me back to the time I was 18 and spent so much thinking and over thinking stuff, meandering, and wandering in my own thoughts, how I forged some everlasting friendships and how others were lost in time forever, how life seemed so damn strange. Granted, I never caused a giant ass tornado to save my best friend (love?) but I do remember being confused and distraught about everyone else's life, what secrets they had, and what they wanted to do with their own lives.

I did not kiss any guy on a dare, but a guy did kiss me. He's a close friend, who did it to freak me out. Didn't work. I was too drunk to care.

But I digress. I was impressed by how well written the characters were. I was impressed by how much I felt while playing. I was impressed by the game.

I really disliked Chloe. I'm not sure if there is any official ending and I'm not sure if I'm ready to go through the rest of the series, but I thought she really did not get over Rachel and it annoyed me how attached she was to her. I was jealous, as dumb as it might be. I also didn't feel like the rest of the town needed to suffer because of Max's personal quest to save Chloe, who had proven would readily throw her to the wolves to save herself. I just couldn't trust her. But i still felt guilty, despite her always being close to dying and having to save her ass every day. I was ready to give up on her at the end of the four episode. Turns out I still had to choose.

It wasn't easy anyway.

How did you guys feel about the games? Are the rest of the series worth playing?
I hated Chloe but the prequel really changed my mind, highly re ommend you play Before the Storm. The one with the extra episode preferably.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finding out people dislike Chloe. *shakes head* Yeah, she's a bit of an asshole but you have to look at her in context of everything she's been through and the fact that she is still growing up. As someone with deep seated abandonment issues, I relate to her a lot. An observation is that is seems that mostly men in this thread don't like her. >_> Also Before the Storm fleshes her out more, even if it isn't canon to DONTNOD.

Also how can people not find Chloe charismatic, if only thanks to Ashly Burch's performance?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Being from California and with friends from all over the west coast, it was really weird just how much some of the characters felt based off some of my own friends in my past 15+ years. Which is also extra funny when I saw some reviewers claim the characters don't seem to match any sort of "human" at all, heh.

Anyway, yeah, Chloe got on my nerves at first but like the rest of the cast, I've had some really REALLY close people in my life who were basically her, in nutshell sort of way... and she grew on me, as I learned about her past and present circumstances. The prequel though...

...you should absolutely play Life is Strange: Before the Storm. The "deluxe" edition too, for the bonus "farewell" episode (directly related to season 1).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Finding out people dislike Chloe. *shakes head* Yeah, she's a bit of an asshole but you have to look at her in context of everything she's been through and the fact that she is still growing up. As someone with deep seated abandonment issues, I relate to her a lot. An observation is that is seems that mostly men in this thread don't like her. >_> Also Before the Storm fleshes her out more, even if it isn't canon to DONTNOD.

Also how can people not find Chloe charismatic, if only thanks to Ashly Burch's performance?
It doesn't matter what dontnod says, it's ultimately a square IP. Bts is still canon.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
All of my friends who insist how bad this game is always talk about how the dialogue is unrealistic and Chloe is completely unlikable and I've never been able to relate to either of those. Saving Chloe was such an easy decision for me and I actually felt that the game didn't have enough net incentive to save the entire town in comparison, it's hard to quantify I know I would make a similar "irrational" decision with my own loved one as well.

if anyone's unlikable in the game it's Warren.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know Dontnod doesn't count BtS as canon, that's super weird as it fleshes out why Chloe is the way she is a lot, and gives you insight into Rachel.

That's a weird way to spell Mr. Jefferson but okay.

Seriously though, I didn't hate Warren. He's awkward as hell but it helps when you understand that he's like two years younger than Max on top of his lack of social skills.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of my friends who insist how bad this game is always talk about how the dialogue is unrealistic and Chloe is completely unlikable and I've never been able to relate to either of those. Saving Chloe was such an easy decision for me and I actually felt that the game didn't have enough net incentive to save the entire town in comparison, it's hard to quantify I know I would make a similar "irrational" decision with my own loved one as well.

Its even dumber when you find out it seems that everyone is fine after the storm anyways. So no reason not to save Chloe

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm 20 so I was 18 two years ago, but my situation is completely different compared to Max. The game still resonated with me really well though. The only things that keeps it from being a masterpiece is some of the dumb dialogue and the execution of the endings.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know Dontnod doesn't count BtS as canon, that's super weird as it fleshes out why Chloe is the way she is a lot, and gives you insight into Rachel.
SE made it without their blessing or input, I believe. BtS contradicts a few, mostly minor, facts in LiS1. The biggest contradiction is
Max stayed in contact with Chloe longer than was previously established.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Its even dumber when you find out it seems that everyone is fine after the storm anyways. So no reason not to save Chloe

No, a very small amount of people survive if you pick Chloe. It's cool if you made that choice but you do so with the full knowledge that you sent a lot of uninvolved people to their death.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
No, a very small amount of people survive if you pick Chloe. It's cool if you made that choice but you do so with the full knowledge that you sent a lot of uninvolved people to their death.
This is hogwash guilt tripping, the ending of LiS1 is not the trolley problem. Regardless of that, the town (presumably) gets destroyed in most if not all the other timelines. The final "choice" is about which timeline you want (player) Max to stay in, it doesn't fix the other timelines that were created.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is hogwash guilt tripping, the ending of LiS1 is not the trolley problem. Regardless of that, the town (presumably) gets destroyed in most if not all the other timelines. The final "choice" is about which timeline you want (player) Max to stay in, it doesn't fix the other timelines that were created.
Right, a timeline in which Chloe lives and Arcadia Bay gets destroyed and a bunch of people get killed, or a timeline in which Chloe dies and Arcadia Bay and its people remain. It's still that same choice.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

I'm only going by what's presented. If you select the Chloe ending, in LiS2 you see the results and the entire town is decimated.

if you pick the other ending, the town survives and the people living there are fine. Now, you can argue that it's a multiple timeline thing and they all still happen but LiS2 directly changes based on your choice in the first game.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Right, a timeline in which Chloe lives and Arcadia Bay gets destroyed and a bunch of people get killed, or a timeline in which Chloe dies and Arcadia Bay and its people remain. It's still that same choice.
You missed my point, the storm is going to hit the town in that timeline (and many others) regardless. Max hoping back to her body in the prime(ish) timeline still leaves a version of herself with Chloe at the lighthouse and events unfold. Then again, the logic behind how Max's powers work is incredibly incoherent and flawed.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You missed my point, the storm is going to hit the town in that timeline (and many others) regardless. Max hoping back to her body in the prime(ish) timeline still leaves a version of herself with Chloe at the lighthouse and events unfold. Then again, the logic behind how Max's powers work is incredibly incoherent and flawed.
Right, but why do we care about what happens in these other timelines? They're irrelevant to us as the audience. Or as the Max we're playing as.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't know what was so wrong with Chloe that makes her such a decisive character for players.
I mean, I'd choose Bay any day of the week, but she was cool.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I never got why Before the Storm made Choe more likeable to people. Her issues are clearly already laid out in the main game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Basically every cast member in the series is anywhere from annoyingly flawed to a monstrously shitty person. The excuse for most of them is that they're young I guess, but the selfishness for most of them is through the charts. BTS makes Chloe better but hoo boy Rachel sure is something. Joyce is basically the only good person in Arcadia Bay. The true hero of Life is Strange.

And yeah, you're definitely causing massive death if you don't pick Bay. Bay is the correct choice.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, while I didn't like the hamfisted logic of "you used your powers on someone who should have died" to justify the final decision, one thing that did factor into my choice is the survivor's guilt you'd eventually saddle Chloe with if you chose to save the Bay. I think the choice to keep her alive, much like the one in Episode 4, is one borne of a very understandable, but selfish sentiment.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Life is Strange 2 was such a breath of fresh air as a fan of the original, after absolutely loathing Before the Storm. Definitely give 2 a shot.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
It would be so interesting to have your first experience be in chronological order. So:

Farewell - Before the Storm - Life is Strange

I'd imagine your read on the characters would be vastly different.

We need a guinea pig to try them this way and make a thread!

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Chloe much either, but playing Before the Storm made her grow on me a bit. Specifically in regards to her seeming obsession with Rachel, that game does a good job of showing why that is and getting across the relationship they had. Give it a shot, and definitely play Life is Strange 2, which while not as good as the first is still a very good game and standalone story in its own right.

Also people talking about the implications of the different endings should give the sequel comic a look. I'm not sure exactly how "canon" it is but it explores the effects of Max's decisions and her abilities in more depth.

Last edited:

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game and I loved Max. Hated Chloe so much that it made me like Max a little less for being friends with her and being sucked into her chaotic bullshit.

Skipped the prequel because of how I felt about Chloe. I'm going to play LiS 2 soon, since (I believe) it's all on Game Pass now.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
This might seem like a strange recommendation but if you're interested in games that share similar themes and are built around well written characters, I wholeheartedly recommend Night in the Woods.

Given the reasons you share in the OP, I think you might really enjoy it. It has a very different aesthetic and gameplay that I know might put off some people (especially if you prefer the third person telltale adventure game style) , but (while I'm not trying to come in a praise thread for a game to shit on it) Night in the Woods is infinitely superior, especially in the writing department.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Play Before the Storm, it really helps to flesh out Chloe and Rachel as individual characters and sheds light on their relationship.

I'm assuming you picked bay over bae?

LiS 2 is different but it's pretty good. I need to catch up and play the rest of it, but what I did play was awesome.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I just finished before the storm because it has 2 days left on game pass. The series is so good.

I dont really like to look at it as part of life is strange 1 just because it cheapens it all to know how it all ends badly for a reason completely separate from anything in BtS.

Truly good romances are too rare in game.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Before the Storm, wonderful soundtrack and it gives a lot of perspective as to why Chloe is the way she is and it helps develop her family a little more. I was worried about playing it at first because it makes Rachel Amber a major character and considering we only hear about her in the first game, I was worried it would ruin that illusion. It didn't.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I loved Before the Storm, wonderful soundtrack and it gives a lot of perspective as to why Chloe is the way she is and it helps develop her family a little more. I was worried about playing it at first because it makes Rachel Amber a major character and considering we only hear about her in the first game, I was worried it would ruin that illusion. It didn't.
Yeah, its existence only improves the first game. I just don't think the existence of the first game helps BtS.