Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
n64-magazine-perfect-dark-issue.jpg

Where are my UK N64 Wil Overton lads at?

Hell yes. As a teenager I spend just as much money on imported british gaming magazines as games, if not more (im from the netherlands). As a huge Nintendo fan at the time, N64 Magazine was one of my favorites. Will's artwork was awesome.

God I miss magazines. Its not the same anymore because I already get my news fix from the internet. Back in those days you got them from mags. I miss the freaking SMELL of the paper. It got me into my career at least.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Never forget Beckett cursed recreation of gen 2 Pokemon sprites from Japanese copies of Gold & Silver a year before they come out in the west.

Has anyone scanned a copy of this issue anywhere that's available to read? I feel like I've had a vague memory of reading this exact issue in like a grocery store around 2000 or so. The Pokémon all looking a little off is definitely part of that.

Either way thanks for sharing!

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020

View: https://imgur.com/a/PNKto

I remember seeing this in the grocery store all the time. Can't remember if it was before or after I'd seen the Gen 2 Pokemon "for real." And then I eventually wound up with one of these issues cause I remember flipping through knock off artwork a lot at home. Such nostalgia!

Oct 31, 2017
I saw this thread a few days ago but only just now really read it and goddamn I got hit with a huge wave of nostalgia. Was a PSM subscriber for several years there, up until it ended and man. I miss those days for a variety of reasons. Just loved sifting through game magazines in general.

I'd kept a lot of my magazines and strategy guides and they were with my parents in my childhood home, but not sure where they are now or if I tossed them. May have junked them when we moved across the country, which would be a bummer but understandable.

Honestly, while the internet/modern computer technology is cool, I really do miss physical, analog media.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Rob leidield-esque art was every where, the 2000's sure was a special time for comic and cover art

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread needs more Oli Frey.

i18oct86.jpg
That thread about him dying didn't get much attention either.
www.resetera.com

Oli Frey has died

Oli Frey has died; for those of you outside the UK, he's an artist synonymous with a number of pieces of iconic game and magazine cover art, most notably for CRASH magazine and ZZAP64, and responsible for quite a few memories from my early computing days...

I didn't grow up with those magazines but I can still appreciate how awesome those covers are.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As others have said, Joe Mad was the kind of this subgenre of art.

It's been pretty awesome to see him transition over the years from comic books to PSM cover art to game development.

Joe Mad did a lot of PSM covers IIRC

I think I still have every single one he did. I was a big PSM collector in high school and college.

I still remember the first issue of PSM that used official art instead of commissioned art. It was Onimusha 2, I believe. The cover looked bland as fuck. It was so disappointing to get in the mail.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Love me a game magazine thread, thanks OP

as for the original art... it was just... so variable. I remember Diehard Gamefan always having super questionable art:

BookReaderImages.php

But... always entertaining lol

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man those PSM covers. I had/have so many of those issue. Blast from the past

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
0VJZEiu.png

I had this guide as a kid and thought the cover art was the funniest shit I'd ever seen in my life