• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it but as it is I barely have any room for my setup which is XBX+Pro+PC+Switch so I don't buy them. Too many machines son.

Oct 27, 2017
Waking up to the news of playstation classic has me grinning like an idiot.

I know there is an argument for backwards compatibility but honestly it's a bit silly to play games 20 to 30 years old on a machine designed to push the latest and greatest.

Dne0gG2WwAAxg3y.jpg

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of over it, to be honest. I own the NES and SNES Classics and they're pretty cool, but I'd rather just have all of these games on my Switch .

Same with PS1 games. I'd rather have them on my PS4. I was initially really excited for the PlayStation Classic, but I'm probably going to pass. I don't need another device under my television. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo both start taking their legacy games on their dedicated gaming devices more seriously in the future.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people think this is related to console BC efforts. It's absolutely not from a business perspective. It's targeting a different audience and going thru different pipelines for licensing agreements and manufacturing.

BC has been a challenge because of having to update licensing agreements, and handling the technical implementation, and business plan around that.

It's much easier to do a one off mini console to target those not interested in the core console space while keeping your brand in the news and licensing for this type of stuff has been done before so there is nothing to figure out.

BC is about future proofing access and compatibility across future generations and form factors with potentially no end date. These type of deals are new and bizdev is still wrapping their heads around that stuff. It's a big reason why Xbox has to trickle out games even if they have most of the technical side figured out.

The subscription models also add a new wrinkle and new contracts need to be written up for that as well.

MS can be super disruptive with BC because they have the engineering talent and budget , which btw starts out in the red since they are not requiring content owners do anything. That business approach won't work for every platform because everyone has a different strategy and financial restraints and goals.

This is probably the best reason for this I can think of, but it's also kind of depressing that they would write up deals to get these old games on micro consoles but not write up deals to put them on future-proofed BC services.

Even back when the SNES and NES Classics came out it was pretty obvious these things weren't mainly targeted at people who already owned game consoles. BUT, there should also be an option for current console owners to just download those games or buy them on discs. Aside from Microsoft, SEGA and SNK have already been mining their back catalogs like this for years. When it comes out the Mega Drive mini will be fine for lapsed gamers nostalgic for that system, meanwhile I just took the 50 old SEGA games I bought on Steam, copied the ROMs out of the game files, and put them on an emulator on my hacked Wii.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
The novelty does not last.
I much rather have these game on modern consoles.
Or have the option to do both.

I have the same opinion, although I'm still a sucker for buying these mini's (the Nintendo ones so far) since they take up far less space than the real things. I don't think I'll be purchasing any other mini's though especially for systems I still have.

Feb 10, 2018
I have the same opinion, although I'm still a sucker for buying these mini's (the Nintendo ones so far) since they take up far less space than the real things. I don't think I'll be purchasing any other mini's though especially for systems I still have.

They are real cute and I was going to get one.
But they remind me of the sort of thing you will love for the first month then it collects dust.

Its pulling at thos nostalgia and cuteness impulses.
Kinda evil of Nintendo, lol.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're a collector then I guess it's cool but Id rather they just made their old games playable on current systems.