• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really like the flat look of games like Sea of thieves, Grounded, and the upcoming Everwild. The colorful, vibrant worlds they let you run around in are beautiful, and the style is very clean and easy on the eyes.

For reference:
Everwild
ThankfulPertinentAlbacoretuna-size_restricted.gif

Sea of Thieves
giphy.gif

Grounded
AlarmedVeneratedCrownofthornsstarfish-max-1mb.gif

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Rare has really improved their style. Sea of Thieves already looks gorgeous.. but man Everwild is another level entirely.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I really hope Everwild pulls off whatever gameplay they're deciding on since if they keep those graphics up i'm there if it's good day 1.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Don't like this style at all.

You can have realistic visuals while still having a colourful, eye-popping artstyle.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Agreed. Everwild must be the most beautiful game I've ever seen going by what they've shown. I wish Nintendo would be able to make a remake of BOTW with that level of fidelity and graphic features.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Yeah, as a kid this is how I imagined video games looking in the future. I'm glad we're here now. I think there's a fine line before it just looks like Fortnite though.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this, style? What do you mean? Just colorful games? Yeah, that's a first time we see that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeh, Everwild is looking absolutely astonishing from a art/design standpoint. The style is like a more detailed and painterly BoTW. Very keen to see more as bits and pieces get revealed over time.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Not a huge fan of the artstyle tbh, I feel like Indie games really overused that artstyle to saturation with games like The Witness, Firewatch, Abzu, Flower, etc.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not a huge fan of the artstyle tbh, I feel like Indie games really overused that artstyle to saturation with games like The Witness, Firewatch, Abzu, Flower, etc.

Rime as well. We had tons if them this gen.

They work really well for indies with less resources, soothing, calming art style. I like it myself

Oct 27, 2017
Ah precisely the style I despise. The indie looking flat colors and textures on open fields which is kinda cartoony but not quite games. The "game made in unity even if it was made in something else" look.

Can't wait for this trend to die, I can't stand it, it's everywhere.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think it comes off extra strong because their first party efforts were kinda lacking the last couple years and they were known for Halo, Gears and Forza - so everything that looks somewhat different and colorful then those is a nice surprise for outsiders looking in.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Because this just makes it look like a cheap game.

- and yeah as the above said, too reminiscent of a typical "indie" artstyle which instantly puts me off.

This seems like a bizarre connection to me. I'd be surprised how anyone could look at the art style in Sea of Thieves, coupled with the beautiful sky oxes and incredible water tech and think it's cheap. Same for what we've seen of Everwild.

I've played plenty of games that have sought a 'realistic' art style with lower budgets that really haven't hit the mark.

There's also a marked, demonstrable difference between this kind of colourful, flat art style at this budget than some similar art styles in the likes of RIME.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
These are indeed beautiful, especially Everwild, but Microsoft has not started the trend of this style. Cartoony/cel-shaded styles similar to this have been around for a while now. Or do you mean within Microsoft game productions this seems to be a trend now?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Getting some "looks like a kid's game" vibes from the Wind Waker era lol.

Also peeps reminding me I still need to play Abzu.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everwild looks beautiful, a great artstyle goes a long way - exhibit A, Ghost of Tsushima.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I can't imagine a game having a less inspiring looking art style than Everwild. The lifeless pastels are especially amusing given the whole "this game is so ALIVE and filled with AMAZING WONDERMENT" PR nonsense that surrounds the game.

Any time a game has both a washed-out pastel art style and some shitty fantasy moose with "oh so cool giant glowing antlers!!11!!" it's just the most massive turn-off to me.

And this isn't about me preferring "realism" or anything. I just genuinely hate this art style, and it has got to be the biggest trend in game visuals right now.

Grounded looks amazing though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine a game having a less inspiring looking art style than Everwild. The lifeless pastels are especially amusing given the whole "this game is so ALIVE and filled with AMAZING WONDERMENT" PR nonsense that surrounds the game.

Any time a game has both a washed-out pastel art style and some shitty fantasy moose with "oh so cool giant glowing antlers!!11!!" it's just the most massive turn-off to me.

And this isn't about me preferring "realism" or anything. I just genuinely hate this art style, and it has got to be the biggest trend in game visuals right now.

Grounded looks amazing though.

Why so aggressive?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Actually I don't like the SoT style at all but I absolutely adore the Everwild one. I'm happy that Rare is trying sth different compared to other MS studios. We should also note, that Xbox has had quite a few games with unique art direction recently including the Ori series and Cuphead.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Same can be said for gritty AAA games these days as we have too many of them.

I'd say we have more colorful AAA ones to than gritty. All Nintendo AAA would fall in the colorful category for example.

What about AC games? Definitely on the colorful side, specially Odissey. Gods and Monsters is certainly a move towards that style even further

Same could be said for Sony IP's like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, even Spiderman. More colorful than gritty.

How about God of War? I'd say definitely more colorful than gritty as well, but with more mature themes. Same with Uncharted.

Even From Software has moved a bit to the colorful side with Sekiro, even if ever so slightly.

There's not that many gritty AAA as we may think I'd say, specially out of the horror genre that is by definition gritty, but TloU2 being so recent has left a strong impression I'd say

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's very promising that they're opening up their brand beyond the standard shooter and action genre. The Xbox Original had an incredible variety of interesting titles and it will be great to see that again. It should be noted that this generation has been better in this regard compared to the PS3/XB360 era anyway.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I do like it, but I feel tinge of being tired of it a bit already. I think because the simpler something is, the more easy it is to start looking the same. Same with a lot of low-poly things. They end up looking really similar. The more detail the more distinguishable. So i think this kind of blends them together more than other types might.

I like variety. I feel like they've already got this covered, and idk if I want to see a ton more of it. I also think there are lots of ways to make more colorful cartoony artstyles that aren't as often explored that don't look like this.

like viva pinata

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
This isn't a new trend or something MS started. Anyway, I don't really think Grounded is all that similar in art style to the other two. But yeah, SoT and Everwild look amazing, especially the latter. Everwild is also the Xbox first party game I'm most excited for.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
i mean...sea of thieves looks anything but cheap. Its HDR implementation is really top drawer as well

hatkj8xi5umpnxu7sskc.gif
This seems like a bizarre connection to me. I'd be surprised how anyone could look at the art style in Sea of Thieves, coupled with the beautiful sky oxes and incredible water tech and think it's cheap. Same for what we've seen of Everwild.

I've played plenty of games that have sought a 'realistic' art style with lower budgets that really haven't hit the mark.

There's also a marked, demonstrable difference between this kind of colourful, flat art style at this budget than some similar art styles in the likes of RIME.

These are nice cherry-picked flattering gifs, but you only have to look at something as basic as the character models to know what I'm talking about.

In my mind the reality of the matter is that if they had better resources they would push for more detail and something more realistic (while still maintaining a colourful vibrant style). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen too many indie games try to mask technical deficiencies by applying some similar artstyle.

In fact all these water gifs just prove my point, since that's like the only part of this game that would actually be considered realistic and is the part that gets the most praise.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Wich universe is this?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Everwild is probably my favourite looking next gen game so far even though I think Hellblade is the most impressive.