• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, that's it. Just had to say it "out loud".

After basically 15 years of a Pokemon hiatus following the release of Diamond/Pearl, I finally am in love with the franchise once again.

I was an avid teenager Pokemon player and had a small group of friends to play that with. We did FR/LG, R/S/E and D/P together back then, and even tried IV breeding and EV training. Good times.

After that, I simply quit Pokemon. I haven't played any games from the 5th, 6th, 7th gen nor the remakes. I actually bought Let's Go Pikachu with my Switch in 2019, but haven't touched it until a few months ago.

After playing that game two months ago, it reignited my passion. I completed the dex with the help of an old friend, who I got in touch with because of the game. He even lent me his Mewtwo, because I plan on trying to reset for a shiny with my Shiny Charm.

Now I own Pokemon Black, Y, Omega Ruby, Ultra Sun and Shield on the Switch. Ultra Sun was beaten, so only a few other left to go.

I am now pretty excited to play all the games I missed and the idea of shiny hunting and EV/IV breeding with the MUCH easier methods seem pretty compelling to me. I'll probably dive into it a bit more.

Pokemon is life.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, a lot. It's actually the first thing I became a fan of (watching the anime at kindergarten).

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I used to, but it's getting harder and harder considering the quality of the mainline games nowadays

The new Pokemon and character designs, however, continue to be incredible to this day. It's just everything else that's the problem.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
652SW8r.jpg

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Happy 25th anniversary. I feel the same. Recently replaced batteries in my copies of yellow and silver(lost my gold copy) and I've been playing almost non stop. I'm playing with Stadium as my bank and I plan to unlock the 3x speed in there as well. Hunting down a copy of stadium 2 is hard, don't wanna eBay it.
Rewatching indigo league since I was a kid, not everything holds up but I remember the hype watching it live.
Pokémon has its claws in me for life. I started when I was 7 and I'm not stopping enjoying it anytime soon.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I was gonna turn this yet again into a rant, but you know what OP, I also do love Pokemon.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I was pretty much out after the N64's Pokemon Stadium. It was like Red, Blue, Yellow, Stadium. Watched the anime and then poof lost interest.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Far too much

but try as I like, SWSH is a terrible experience I cannot seems to glean net enjoyment from

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to love pokemon, but the lack care in the games have turned me right off.

But it has got me back into digimon!

So I love Digimon instead.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
unfortunately not after Sword and Shield. Huge disappointment for me. Oh well, I always have my experience with Black to look back fondly on.

Jan 16, 2019
I was a little 5-years old kid, whom birthday gift is a Pokemon Yellow games (Japanese version), a kid comes from a developing country with no knowledge of English or Japanese, doesn't have access to the internet but still playing the game for 2 years straight. It was my first time playing video games and it becomes my dream to join the team one day and make a Pokemon game like that.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I have very fond memories of the first two series, and snap, and then a decades-long string of bitterness that the series does not get nearly the amount of development attention it deserves, and see nothing but completely wasted potential when compared to other high profile games. It's not like they're hurting for money.

i still mostly buy each one, but.. I really gotta stop that again. I've been disappointed for longer than I can remember, and still let myself fall for the hype beforehand, always thinking "this time it'll be it"

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I used to. The last one I played was Black. Maybe I'll come back if they actually modernize the games and give the franchise the resources it deserves.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm back in a Digimon phase for the last 3 weeks, I still buy and complete the Pokédex at each new games.
So yes I'm a huge Pocket Digital Monster fan, and that was from the very start as well, games / anime / merch, I am big onto it since my youth.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

Pokémon was one of my favorite franchises back when I was in middle school. I was addicted to the first gen games when they came out, just like pretty much every other kid I knew. It was an obsession, I played all the time (Blue version FTW) and was dedicated to squeeze those games for all they got. I was a fan of the Anime as well, and I remember going to see the first movie with a friend of mine, we were super hyped!

Then the second gen came out, and my hype and love for anything Pokémon just increased. Got the Silver version and played it to death. It was one of my favorite games of all time, and I kept following the Anime all the way up to the Orange Islands arc.

However, my love for the franchise went from something extreme, to an absolute zero when the third gen came out. And even I don't understand why. I should have been hyped like hell. Better graphics? MORE Pokémon? A whole new region to explore? But no. For some reason I completely stopped, and I didn't even care to play the third gen onwards, nor did I feel compelled to. I wasn't hyped about any news, or new Pokémon reveals, or merchandise. I completely stopped.

And no, it was not because of some edgy "I'm a grown up now, and Pokémon is for kids" bullshit. I never felt that way. My obsession simply stopped dead in its tracks after the second gen. Perhaps I felt that I had seen everything the franchise had to offer to me, and seeing what the latest games are like, I think I'm right.

I still pop up my Blue version and Silver version cartridges into my Super GameBoy to remember the good ol' days, but nothing new about the franchise interests me in the slightest.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
I love all of the Pokémon. Well except Jynx, fuck that.

I love most of the games, HGSS and BW2 are two of my favorite games of all time.

But they're making it harder and harder to love the more recent games, that's for sure. SwSh was easily the most disappointed I've been in a game in a long time.

OP
OP
vitormg

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I've seen Pokemon being heavily criticized ever since the Black White release back then on forums. It happened to the other gens as well.

I completely understand the frustration of most of them... But in the end, the magic is still there. I really, really enjoyed my recent Let's Go and Ultra Sun playthroughs. The magic is not lost!

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the series enough, haven't played all the gens though. Love the character designs though.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Yep, never stopped loving it. I've played every mainline Pokemon game from Red/Blue to Sword and Shield and enjoyed them all.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but I lost interest in the new entries after gen IV and likely will not purchase another Pokemon game unless Game Freak's philosophy towards developing games changes drastically.

After gen I what I really wanted was a bigger world, not more pokemon. Now it's 2021 and the scale of pokemon games hasn't really changed but you can catch an ice cream cone and a chandelier I guess

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I still love the series, but I think for gen 9 I need to go in completely blind. A lot of the old magic of exploration, new pokemon, etc, is lost for me since I keep up with every pre-release cycle. I think I might've enjoyed Sw/Sh more initially had I not been reading the leak thread a few nights before release lol

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's played a pivotal role in my love of videogames, anime, and japan. Probably the most significant series in my heart. Other than Final Fantasy, I can't think of another japanese property that resonates with me more.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I love some Pokemon games. I wish they would release the GBA and DS games and remakes on the Switch. Been craving a playthrough of those specifically. HGSS is so fucking good, and I enjoyed the little I played of BW.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I love it as well. I also kind of became detached after Diamond/Pearl, and skipped BW when they were released. XY and the introduction of fully 3D models is what roped me back in, and I've been reconnected with the franchise ever since.

Although the quality of the games since then is certainly making me a bit less enthused about what the future holds.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot. It's actually the first thing I became a fan of (watching the anime at kindergarten).

Same.

I used to watch the VHS tape with the first 5 episodes every day when i was a kid.

I can't stand what the games are now, tbh. Go, SwSh, ORAS... just trash. Makes me so sad because i love the IP and i feel it has so much potential but we always get the most vanilla shit ever.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
The world and concept, absolutely.

I wish the products made with the IP were better, but I'll always hold out hope based on the potential behind the franchise and how great it could be if it lived up to my imagination.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
even when the mainline games let me down i still love the designs of the creatures and the older games enough to keep coming back

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I love the concept of it, execution always leaves me a bit disappointed. I can always breeze through them just spamming the same move, I really hope a mainline game comes out at some point that will have a hard mode and require me to actually have to do proper match ups and level up other Pokemon types to progress.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do.

Though I wish I can like the more recent games more.

Snap is at the end of the month.spin offs haven't disappointed yet, so here's hoping Snap will be great. Gimme that Ghost House stage please.