Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't hate the game it's just not up to par with what Legend of Zelda games usually aim for.
Had it contained actual LOZ dungeons, bosses and equipment on top of everything BOTW has to offer it would have been godlike.
Hopefully in BOTW 2 they'll remember to include the main game.

They took risks rather than sticking to the formula and that's nice. I wish annualised games took the same initiative to keep their games feeling different.

Of course not everyone will like these changes but for a franchise to remain relevant it needs to continue to reinvent itself and offer something new.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
kGpRV5p.jpg

As a person that is about to start the game (right after I finish Octopath Traveler) this thread is an interesting read.

After reading most of the reactions here, I think I'm gonna like this Zelda. Exploring vast lands is my kind of stuff.

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious honestly regarding how people manage to approach combat and enemy encounters in this game in a way that's apparently radically different from how I did. It's not like I never fought, I fought all the time, but I also never broke my weapon and thought "FUCK now I have nothing to attack anyone with this system is straight-up broken!" I always had another weapon, I'd always get weapons from the enemies I killed, there are huge volumes of weapons just laying all over the world, in chests, etc. Good ones, bad ones, all sorts of weapons. The challenge I had to contend with more often than not was which of these extra weapons I had to discard in order to hold a new one.

I wonder if it comes down to whether a player pursues Koroks and inventory upgrades or not. I can imagine the system being frustrating if you're stuck with just five slots or something. And while the world is positively overflowing with weapons, if you just go Encounter to Encounter and don't travel off the beaten path I could imagine only getting crummy wooden stuff that breaks fast I suppose. Even then, though, it's rare that you should burn through your weapons faster than it takes to get new ones from the enemies you killed with them (barring hero mode of course).

Gonna be honest... I didn't know I could hold more weapons than the initial 6 or so...

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017
OP, try it a 21st and a 22nd time and as many times as you need to in order to force yourself to enjoy BotW. If you don't, then something is really wrong with you and you're different and strange. All your friends think BotW is great.

Haha, I get it but I feel like I should really enjoy this game. I've learned a lot in this thread already that may help some of my issues already, gonna try again tonight

db1416

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
South Florida
It sounds like you just don't get how the game works yet. You don't know how to do anything that makes the game fun. Guardians are really easy to deal with, monster parts are for elixirs just look up how to use them, and sneak up on a horse to get one. Once you do a shrine you can fast travel to it so there should be no reason it's taking you forever to get places. It sounds like you just don't get how the game works.

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017
EXACTLY. There are plenty of highly praised games I don't like but I don't post about them just to get attention.

Hm. I'm sorry you feel that way, it wasn't my intention and I don't care for attention. However this is a gaming forum.. and I'm discussing a popular game in a series I loved but couldn't get into the game so I felt it was a topic of discussion.

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017
OP, perhaps I'm wrong, but reading your post, you seem like a very objective oriented person. Is that correct? It seems like you are marching from place to place, with the endpoint being the destination.

Breath of the Wild is designed to be a free-flowing game. Older Zelda games were very much designed to be destination A leads to B leads to C, etc. Areas were item-gated, and the only reason you moved from place to place was because the game told you to. Sure, there may be a seemingly open world, but the progression itself was still very linear. BOTW isn't like that.

You talk about how boring the traveling from place to place is and how it seems to take forever to get anywhere. Have you just stopped to let yourself breathe in the environment and say, "Hey, what's that over there?" The main quest will always wait for you, but it's ok to chase all the white rabbits you want, going where your attention takes you, just to see what's over the next hill or down in that valley.

Did you know that throughout the world, there are 999 Koroks that, when found, you can use to upgrade your weapon/bow/shield slots to where item durability no longer matters since you have so many? Did you know you can buy a house and fix it up, or that you can literally build an entire town where none previously existed? Have you gotten into the cooking system and truly explored it to see what will give you more life/stamina/defense/strength/elemental resistance?

The whole point of Breath of the Wild is to exist within the broken land of Hyrule, exploring the nooks and crannies, and to enjoy the wondrous freedom within. The point isn't to beat Calamity Ganon. If your whole idea of playing Breath of the Wild is mechanically going from point to point until you defeat the final boss, you will never enjoy it.

I knew none of this tbh.. I've found some seeds but didn't know what they did. Thought it was just a fun collectable

Oct 30, 2017
Ive restarted it probably 20 times... Currently done the elephant shrine and working on the bird one. Done probably 40 small shrines... I hate this game. I feel like it's a chore to do anything.

The weapon breaking system is legit broken for gaming, traversing anywhere takes what feels like years and it's never fun getting there. The stanima system is absolutely stupid. The difficulty doesn't make sense, the ancient enemies are unfair and confusing on how to counter or kill.

I legitimately hate this game.. and I'm the biggest Zelda fan.. Zelda collectables, Zelda clothing, Zelda wallet (obviously I don't wear these), Zelda backgrounds.. hell my notification sound is the Zelda secret sound. But I find absolutely nothing enjoyable about this game and I feel like Nintendo let me down.

I get it's crazy popular for others, and it's got great reviews... But I hate it and I don't know what to do to like it.. being a Zelda fan I should like this right??? Am I doing something wrong? I don't have a horse and no idea how to get one.. though I feel it's pointless at this point. Cooking is a chore and I have a bazillion monster parts that I don't know what to do with. Trying to get somewhere and oh it starts raining so I either wait forever for it to stop so I can spend a half hour climbing a mountain and falling to my death anyways or go around and maybe shield slide... Until my shield breaks... And I gotta walk now anyways...

Someone help me like this game lol

You know, I'm all for the weekly "I hate Odyssey" and "I hate BoTW" threads, but I'm always blown away by the initial posts, in terms of how oddly the OP has decided to play the game.

You've done 40 shrines, 2 divine beats, and have "no idea" how to get a horse? Like, how is that even possible? There is literally a stable on the way to the first destination the game gives you after the plateau. It's almost impossible to miss. And there's like 15 others in the game, not to even mention the wild horses at dozens of locations. The stables get permanently marked on your map as you visit them. I mean, it would be difficult enough to believe never finding a horse with your current progress, but add in the fact that you "restarted 20 times" (I can't even wrap my mind around why anyone would want to do this) and I call BS.

Same for korok seeds. Restarted 20x and still had no clue what they did? Even though it's imoossible to miss the korok dude if you go the direction the game guides you to go? In all 20 restarts you never went that way? Or you weren't curious enough to take 2 seconds to Google what they did? Sorry, another thing I find pretty hard to believe and absurd.

What I find hilarious, and predictable, is how everyone bitched and moaned about how easy every game in the Zelda franchise was for the past couple of decades. But now, when there's even a SLIGHT challenge introduced by weather, weapon breaking, etc- suddenly that's unacceptable and "unfair". This is coming from people who heap praise over games like Dark Souls and anything that "brutal" and "unforgiving". Also, nobody is forcing you to "shield slide" when it's raining, there's a million other things that can be done.

Just stop playing. No need to make a thread asking others to "convince" you to like it, as you never will. These threads are always the same. 75% of the responses are the validating "There's nothing wrong with you, it's ok not to like it, congratulations you're still amazing!" and the rest are either drive by shit-posting, or agreeing that the game is "shit". There's zero chance anyone will tell you anything in this thread that's going to change your mind about the game, same as the last 62,928 "BoTW sucks" threads.

Nintendo "let you down"? I don't even know what that statement is supposed to mean, since it's irrefutable that millions upon millions of others deeply enjoyed the game and the direction they took. You're aware they didn't develop this game over years, exclusively for you. I found it to be an incredible experience, because I went in with an open mind. That's not the case for you, just stop playing it, instead of creating the obligatory "I hate BoTW" thread with the false pretence of wanting to be convinced.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm all for the weekly "I hate BoTW" threads
There are more praise threads made for botw weekly than negative ones to be perfectly fair. I dont think negative botw threads are monthly tbh. I dont see why people cant discuss what they thought the game's shortcomings were, you are obviously not all for threads that critique the game based on your post

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I guess it's because I feel it was so popular that this is now how all future games will be and I have to look for a new favorite franchise, is that stupid? I dunno lol

I understand you here but I wouldn't worry about it. The next 3D zelda game will certainly be more along the lines of BotW but it will have other additions and changes that may or may not bring it more in line with what you expect from the series. I mean if it inherited the open nature of BotW but didn't have some of the other things you didn't like, that'd be fine right? It's not going to be a carbon copy and possibly may not even have the breakable weapons etc, depends which direction they wanna take it.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I have my ups and downs with this game. Though first playthrough is on MM with 45+ hours. Most towers unlocked. Two divines down.

I can't get good weapon drops. Avoiding combat though has been the better experience for pleb enemies because I don't need more 12 damage weapon. The item economy isn't that great and I am not a person who is going to do two playthroughs when I can play one save. So I can't really tilt the economy to my side yet.

The horse, even though it sucks to use mainly, is only useful after a DLC item honestly. The shrines and seeds are just a grind. Game needs a cook book that you can add to with things you discover.

Exploring does get fun at most times.

Anyways my two cents. Game really isn't on any of my lists.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I knew none of this tbh.. I've found some seeds but didn't know what they did. Thought it was just a fun collectable

What about the rest of the post? Are you attempting just to go from point A to point B until you beat the game, or are you taking the time to fully drink in your surroundings and wander wherever your eye leads you? As I said, if you're playing BOTW just to beat Ganon, you're not going to get much out of it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This should be a universal post: "Not every game is for everyone. Do not force yourself to like something."

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Ive restarted it probably 20 times... Currently done the elephant shrine and working on the bird one. Done probably 40 small shrines... I hate this game. I feel like it's a chore to do anything.

The weapon breaking system is legit broken for gaming, traversing anywhere takes what feels like years and it's never fun getting there. The stanima system is absolutely stupid. The difficulty doesn't make sense, the ancient enemies are unfair and confusing on how to counter or kill.

I legitimately hate this game.. and I'm the biggest Zelda fan.. Zelda collectables, Zelda clothing, Zelda wallet (obviously I don't wear these), Zelda backgrounds.. hell my notification sound is the Zelda secret sound. But I find absolutely nothing enjoyable about this game and I feel like Nintendo let me down.

I get it's crazy popular for others, and it's got great reviews... But I hate it and I don't know what to do to like it.. being a Zelda fan I should like this right??? Am I doing something wrong? I don't have a horse and no idea how to get one.. though I feel it's pointless at this point. Cooking is a chore and I have a bazillion monster parts that I don't know what to do with. Trying to get somewhere and oh it starts raining so I either wait forever for it to stop so I can spend a half hour climbing a mountain and falling to my death anyways or go around and maybe shield slide... Until my shield breaks... And I gotta walk now anyways...

The fact that you didn't know what Korok Seeds did, or that you can't figure out how to get a horse, leads me to believe theres about 90% of this game you're either refusing to engage with or simply unable to grasp.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'm curious honestly regarding how people manage to approach combat and enemy encounters in this game in a way that's apparently radically different from how I did. It's not like I never fought, I fought all the time, but I also never broke my weapon and thought "FUCK now I have nothing to attack anyone with this system is straight-up broken!" I always had another weapon, I'd always get weapons from the enemies I killed, there are huge volumes of weapons just laying all over the world, in chests, etc. Good ones, bad ones, all sorts of weapons. The challenge I had to contend with more often than not was which of these extra weapons I had to discard in order to hold a new one.

I wonder if it comes down to whether a player pursues Koroks and inventory upgrades or not. I can imagine the system being frustrating if you're stuck with just five slots or something. And while the world is positively overflowing with weapons, if you just go Encounter to Encounter and don't travel off the beaten path I could imagine only getting crummy wooden stuff that breaks fast I suppose. Even then, though, it's rare that you should burn through your weapons faster than it takes to get new ones from the enemies you killed with them (barring hero mode of course).
I wonder if it's also down to the way games in general have groomed people to play aggressively? If you charge into every fight swinging your weapon, you're going to suffer - you're given tools and an interactive environment for a reason.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest... I didn't know I could hold more weapons than the initial 6 or so...

TBH I wouldn't be shocked if this kind of thing happens a lot among people who end up feeling shitty about the weapon breaking. Nintendo probably should forced you to upgrade your inventory once just to make sure nobody misses it. You can easily just walk past the big Korok guy who introduces the concept, or warp past him, or climb a mountain instead, or any number of things.

Nov 17, 2017
TBH I wouldn't be shocked if this kind of thing happens a lot among people who end up feeling shitty about the weapon breaking. Nintendo probably should forced you to upgrade your inventory once just to make sure nobody misses it. You can easily just walk past the big Korok guy who introduces the concept, or warp past him, or climb a mountain instead, or any number of things.
Honestly, I didn't encounter him until about 20 hours in because I didn't go to Kakariko until then. I actually went and did all of Gerudo first. But honestly, the weapon durability didn't bother me even with the minimum inventory. I was always getting new weapons.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There are more praise threads made for botw weekly than negative ones to be perfectly fair. I dont think negative botw threads are monthly tbh. I dont see why people cant discuss what they thought the game's shortcomings were, you are obviously not all for threads that critique the game based on your post
I haven't done any recent counts, but it sure doesn't feel that way! Maybe the negative ones stand out more or something.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
It's ok to not like things other people like! I do it all the time.

This pretty much, to me BotW is incredible close to the dream Zelda game I always wished for after playing OoT.

But is perfectly understandable that people can have different tastes, just let it go and play another game you really enjoy.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Honestly, I didn't encounter him until about 20 hours in because I didn't go to Kakariko until then. I actually went and did all of Gerudo first. But honestly, the weapon durability didn't bother me even with the minimum inventory. I was always getting new weapons.

At first I was annoyed how quickly weapons break but after playing it a while, I like it. What the weapon system does is make it so that every area stays challenging. If you stay in a "beginner area" for a while you'll end up with weak weapons again and have to use them, making the enemies in the area more challenging. It keeps the game from becoming too easy as you "level up".

What I don't like is one decision in the hard difficulty they added in DLC coupled with weapon breaking so easily... that is the enemies health respawns way too quickly in that difficulty. Coupled with your weapons break so quick it makes it so it's just not worth fighting unless you have to (and I actually kinda enjoy clearing out enemies sometimes. I mean I do want it to be hard enough to make it something I have to decide if it's worth it, but in the master difficulty it's just worth not fighting anyone if you can). PErsonally I still wouldn't get rid of weapons breaking to fix that, I'd get rid of health regenerating. Or at the very least give it a minute before it does (I've had times when I was trying to constantly hit the enemy but was unable to do it quick enough to stop the health regenerating it happens so quickly, it's ridiculous imho how fast the enemies regenerate health if you don't hit them fast enough).

As much as I mostly enjoyed master mode I found I ultimately went back to normal because that one thing really ruined the game for me after a while :(. I would love master mode without that (everything else was great).

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017

I'll have to Google how to do this then lol

OP
OP
Stealth X Hawk
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you didn't know what Korok Seeds did, or that you can't figure out how to get a horse, leads me to believe theres about 90% of this game you're either refusing to engage with or simply unable to grasp.

I don't believe that's true at all. I'm no stranger to difficult games, exploration games, RPGs, ect. I think it's poorly explained or easily missed

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Soooo stop playing?

Edit: didn't realize how long the thread was already lol. Sounds like OP has gotten some good advice here.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I hated it as well.

Great art.

Hated every other single aspect of it.

The novelty of open world Zelda had my psyched for like two hours but the boring combat, dull shrines, trash weapon system, boring enemies. Blech.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

BOTW wasn't a real Zelda game for me and that was very disappointing, going into the game with huge Zelda hype. It's just not what I want from the series, and if Nintendo leaves the Zelda series as BOTW-likes from now on, I have no other option but to get out from playing new Zelda games.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
It's OK not to like a well regarded game. While I liked the game, and despite what some are saying about it - It's very far from perfect. BoTW has plenty of flaws that could be deal-breakers.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
They could give you a solid bucks if you sell it, if you don't like it don't force you with it. The game is still in full price so sell it.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way. I've tried very hard to like it, and it seems like I would love it. I just can't.

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like the game isn't for you, but your first mistake was constantly restarting the game for some reason?

I might be exaggerating a bit, but I think I got a horse in the first 2 hours, and it felt like it was introduced pretty organically. Not sure what to tell you other than it sounds like the game is unfortunately not for you.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017

1st biggest mistake was replaying it 20 times

2nd biggest mistake is going after the Divine Beast or trying beat the game because that just 5-10% total out of the 90-95% of this game

3rd biggest mistake is complaining about the Weapon Breaking and Stamina System. You probably didn't restock multiple of that same weapon and left the shrines immediately. Also not controlling and utilizing your Stamina properly is my guess too.

My advice to you like I gave to my friend if you decide to play it for the 21st or whatever times, Get your damn glider and unlock all the Towns, Towers and as much Shrines (Don't do the shrines until you unlock most of it) to fast travel so you stop complaining about getting one place to another takes centuries. If your complaining about weapon breaking then get your ass straight to the deku tree and claim your Master Sword and if you have the DLC do the Master Trail to upgrade ur Master Sword to the fullest potential; Just a heads up it still breaks but can be recharged. Another tip go inside Hyrule Castle and get the Hylian Shield that breaks permanently but can be re-bought later. With the Master Sword and Hylian Shield you can take down and farm quite a bit of Guardians and Lynels to get best Weapons, Shields, and Bow&Arrows. If still you don't like this game move on and just scrap Zelda franchise forever because looks like they are going to use this formula moving forward for 3D Zelda.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm sorry you, and many others, didn't enjoy it or the direction it went, I for one love dad and for many of the reasons you didn't it's one of my favorite games of the generation. And I wouldn't change that for the world. Sorry.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
BOTW wasn't a real Zelda game for me and that was very disappointing, going into the game with huge Zelda hype. It's just not what I want from the series, and if Nintendo leaves the Zelda series as BOTW-likes from now on, I have no other option but to get out from playing new Zelda games.
You couldn't have put this more dramatically.

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
Which is funny because for me I was pretty much done with the Zelda formula. Took me years to finally get around to playing Twilight Princess, had to force myself to beat A Link Between Worlds, just wishing I was replaying Link to the Past. I'll probably never play Skyward Sword and on a somewhat recent attempt to replay Wind Waker I gave up about 30 minutes in. The classic Zelda formula just bores me to tears at this point.

Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda game since Ocarina that totally pulled me in and I blasted through it and enjoyed every minute.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If you have the physical cart, it will probably hold 80% of its value or so. Go trade it in for something you'd enjoy more and stop spending your finite time on this planet forcing your round interests into a square hole!

I'm replaying the KH series and tried playing Chain of Memories for the first time, and my god I just hated it. Like playing Kingdom Hearts with half your fingers missing. Just not enjoyable to me. I tried to force myself through it for a while, then thought... why should I bother? It's just tedious.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also, come on, cooking is a chore?

you literally pick ingredients and throw them into the pan,

thats it

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
uhm if it isn't for you then it isn't. why should anyone force themselves to like something that isn't working for them? That holds true for pretty much anything in life.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's dramatic to say like that, but it's pretty much true. It was a huge departure from classic zelda. If they make this the new formula, then a lot of people will stop playing them.
And many more will fill their place. I don't think the classic Zelda formula has as much of a massive commercial appeal as you think.

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
And many more will fill their place. I don't think the classic Zelda formula has as much of a massive commercial appeal as you think.
I just don't get the desire for more entries with the classic formula. There are what, a dozen high quality Zelda entries using that formula that you can play through at this point? Why do we need more?

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's dramatic to say like that, but it's pretty much true. It was a huge departure from classic zelda. If they make this the new formula, then a lot of people will stop playing them.

Most people embrace and love the changes though...Nintendo really wouldn't be missing out on many fans compared to the many that ate the game up and want more. The formula has lots of room for improvement (temples being more robust, for example), but all things considered, BotW seems to be their original vision of what a Zelda game should be and what they've been working towards all these years.

Maybe the next game will improve in ways that might appeal to you.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I grew to love the game the more I played it after initially hating it - although even though I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours, I still think the weapon durability system is dumb. I still find myself hesitating to use certain weapons and have basically bypassed the system by keeping a stock of useless nonsense to whack enemies with. But until you unlock enough weapon slots to keep a small armory on hand it's incredibly obnoxious.

I don't think it should be scrapped entirely, but weapons break way, way too fast.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get the desire for more entries with the classic formula. There are what, a dozen high quality Zelda entries using that formula that you can play through at this point? Why do we need more?
So if dark souls 4 or bloodborne 2 completely changed, to the point of being like a different genre, everyone would be cool with that?