• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
So, recently with Sakurai praising KOF's Iori Yagami's design, my twitter TL is filled to the brim with Iori art. Even having looked at the character extensively for every KOFXIII tourney, I've just now started to notice something about his design that I'm really confused about.
HQe4Dfx.jpg

Just what is going on with the belt around his legs?

First off, it has two different buckles yet appears to be one single belt, second, that single belt is absurdly long. Another thing, why does his pants have belt loops around his legs in the first place? Wouldn't this also restrain his fighting ability since he can only extend his legs so far? Also, what is this even supposed to convey? Like, how does this play into any visual motif? What is the point of this belt?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
If he allowed himself to kick properly he'd be unbeatable. He's very honourable.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
KOF is just Tokyo Fashion Week if it turned into a big brawl

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it was gonna be about the belt.
Lets just say I dressed as him at a fancy dress party once and I should have used a bigger belt. Walked around like a penguin all night.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Are you sure it's not an elastic belt and it works as a reverse Thighmaster?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The leg belt debate is nothing new in the KOF community.

I think it was the old KOF manhua that did give a use to the belt. Can't find the image tho.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
.... first time seeing Iori?
Like I said, seen this character for forever but for some reason my brain always auto corrected that strand around his legs to be like strands of his torn pants or something similar. I never noticed that it was a belt until I actually looked at it closer.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
All of Iori's designs are fantastic but yeah, the leg belt is a weird point that's will turn some folks off the outfit, haha.

His XIII outfit in particular, gawddamn that looks cool.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Everytime I look at his 13 design I'm like man that's cool
Then I remember it's flameless and I'm like nope

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Knew this is what the thread would be about from the title

Ya know how Oro keeps one arm tied so he doesn't kill the shit out of people? It's probably something like that. Also it looks kinda cool