• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Completely unrelated, but this video is basically a summary of why I could never get into these games.

I didn't make it through the entire video, but this is a dream sequence, right? It has to be, otherwise, when did they make Lara Croft a superhero?

Maybe I just haven't played Uncharted recently enough, but was Nathan Drake ever doing any of the insane shit Lara's doing in that video?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
"Jonahhhhhhhhh!!!! Jonnnnnahhhhh!!!! I'm haaaiiirr!!"

I'm not sure I agree with whining (Shadow selfish Lara aside), but I wish they'd stop kicking her ass so much. She's a badass but it always takes an entire game for her to get to that level and it all seems stripped away by the next. She deserves better.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NuLara had no agency of her own, it was always about fulfilling her dad's wishes. She hardly grew in the trilogy and the whole "you'll want to protect her" in the first one was...yeah.
This really wasn't the case outside of some really dog shit PR/Marketing.

Lara in 2013 powered through, choosing to because she had someone to protect and she wasn't going to fail her.

Sure it wasn't perfect but Lara absolutely had purpose and drive that was her's and her desire to help/save someone because she loved them.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Old in control and confident Lara that was disowned by her parents because she didn't want to be a "good girl" combined with the recent Lara design (muscles, pants and no sexualization) with some more style like braided her and the twin pistols would be the best Lara ever.

Also stop making the story "realistic". Give us more monsters and supernatural enemies instead of mercenaries. I want to shoot a t rex in the face again.
The reboot trilogy has plenty of supernatural enemies. Seriously. In the first game the literal big bad is a 1000 year old queen trapped in a decaying body trying to use a mystical ritual to move her soul to another body. It's got an entire nation hidden in a never ending storm that is being controlled by said big bad. Not to mention the Oni and other ghoulish enemies.

In Rise, you literally meet another 1000 year old prophet from Biblical times whose home has supernatural undead beings protecting the remnants of their decayed capital.

Don't get me wrong, I'd say the original games had some more "out there" concepts and shit, but the reboot is filled with supernatural shit.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Both "makes no sense", no matter in what order you do it.
I think in Kratos' case, it becomes a narrative of growth, grief, and maturity. It's the old warrior confronting his violent past and coming to terms with what will be passed on to his kin. GoW isn't a perfect version of that story - but it's working off of very well-worn tropes. However, you can't really do that in reverse.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lara in 2013 powered through, choosing to because she had someone to protect and she wasn't going to fail her.

Sure it wasn't perfect but Lara absolutely had purpose and drive that was her's and her desire to help/save someone because she loved them.

I do not disagree, I'm just pointing out the sexism from marketing and the fact that Lara should have been(i'm refering to rise and shadow here) doing this for her own reasons and not her dad's.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is it for me.

I will always remember early in Tomb Raider Legend, after you jump through a section of spinning blades and other death traps, Lara says "ah I love Bolivia!" like she didn't almost just get cut in half.

Every collectible artifact you find in all 3 games you can hear Lara talk about them, their history and personal thoughts.
TR13 doesnt really have much else but given the structure of the game, it makes sense.
Rise and Shadow are filled with moments where Lara admires architecture/location/contraption/whatever.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Completely unrelated, but this video is basically a summary of why I could never get into these games.

I didn't make it through the entire video, but this is a dream sequence, right? It has to be, otherwise, when did they make Lara Croft a superhero?

Maybe I just haven't played Uncharted recently enough, but was Nathan Drake ever doing any of the insane shit Lara's doing in that video?

No...it's not a dream sequence. It looks like a parody though.

On the other hand...it's the same game that could give you this great scene:

Now THAT is an amazingly choreographed fight scene. and her going "Don't try me" was actually well delivered.

If you think about it...both scenes are actually similar in tone. Her falling in the water, coming out and having to fight an enemy. Except in one she's Rambo...in the other one she's human.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this, 50% of that is Camilla Luddington's awful voice acting. I could give this script to any other Lara Croft actress and while they most definitely would not save it - nothing can -, at least the acting would be good.

I mean, all of that seems pretty in line with the stuff that happens in Uncharted? Nathan Drake literally climbed an entire train that was hanging on a cliff at the top of a mountain with a stab wound on his side.

The cheesy action pieces aren't really the biggest problem with Tomb Raider.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The reboot trilogy has plenty of supernatural enemies. Seriously. In the first game the literal big bad is a 1000 year old queen trapped in a decaying body trying to use a mystical ritual to move her soul to another body. It's got an entire nation hidden in a never ending storm that is being controlled by said big bad. Not to mention the Oni and other ghoulish enemies.

In Rise, you literally meet another 1000 year old prophet from Biblical times whose home has supernatural undead beings protecting the remnants of their decayed capital.

Don't get me wrong, I'd say the original games had some more "out there" concepts and shit, but the reboot is filled with supernatural shit.
Yeah I know but I want them to focus more on them instead of another mercenary bunch for most of the game. Mummies, dinosaurs, demons, aliens from atlantis etc etc. I want the games to be less of a character study and more of an Indiana Jones type of affair like the classic games. Less grounded and more weird would be the best.

The current trilogy felt too focused on having a character study and whatever supernatural were not that important it felt.
To be fair though, the original series had it's fair share of human enemies but it still had a lot of focus on the supernatural.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

He jumps impossible gaps every 10 minutes, slides down and grabs hold of ledges without breaking every finger in his body, technically "dodges" thousands of bullets through out the games, gets pulled behind a jeep going 60 miles an hour an rarely comes away with a scrape. He literally gets shot in the second game and is up running, jumping, and climbing less than a week later.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will say this, 50% of that is Camilla Luddington's awful voice acting. I could give this script to any other Lara Croft actress and while they most definitely would not save it - nothing can -, at least the acting would be good.
This I absolutely disagree with.

Her take was different, and very much a different Lara but I felt her voice work was brilliant and I loved her portrayal in 2013.

I admit to ditching the sequels due to how they fridged Sam, so I only have brief experience and maybe she got way worse...but I will Stan her performance in 2013 forever.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I love PS1 Lara, she's just a total boss - sure, there's no character development there whatsoever but for a game that's not story-based in the slightest her few quips during cutscenes made playing as her all the more enjoyable.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No...it's not a dream sequence. It looks like a parody though.

On the other hand...it's the same game that could give you this great scene:

Now THAT is an amazingly choreographed fight scene. and her going "Don't try me" was actually well delivered.

If you think about it...both scenes are actually similar in tone. Her falling in the water, coming out and having to fight an enemy. Except in one she's Rambo...in the other one she's human.

Damn, the difference is crazy. These don't even seem like scenes from the same game.

He jumps impossible gaps every 10 minutes, slides down and grabs hold of ledges without breaking every finger in his body, technically "dodges" thousands of bullets through out the games, gets pulled behind a jeep going 60 miles an hour an rarely comes away with a scrape. He literally gets shot in the second game and is up running, jumping, and climbing less than a week later.
Like I said, it's been awhile since I've touched Uncharted 1 or 2, and I didn't like the 3rd enough to continue it. I just remember it all being a bit more human and somewhat realistic than actually being shot at by a tank, helicopter, and several enemies while just kind of climbing around on exploding objects. Or literally being in a cutscene where several enemies are shooting at you while you're just standing there looking angry.

It's possible that Uncharted 1 and 2 where like that as well. I just recall kind of enjoying the first new Tomb Raider, and then immediately being turned off from the opening of the 2nd one where it seems like she was a main character in a Fast & Furious movie.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love how we still have people willfully ignoring the reasons people could possibly enjoy the classic Lara and pretending it all comes down to boobs. It's embarrassing at this point

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, new Lara is terrible with zero personality. Like I actively disliked her when playing the first two games of the reboot series. Didn't even bother playing the third game.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Every collectible artifact you find in all 3 games you can hear Lara talk about them, their history and personal thoughts.
TR13 doesnt really have much else but given the structure of the game, it makes sense.
Rise and Shadow are filled with moments where Lara admires architecture/location/contraption/whatever.
It's not the same. That's not at all what I'm talking about. She's a geek for all that stuff, and that's fine, but she never seems excited about the actual adventure of it all. Nothing about it is thrilling for her.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't think I was supposed to like Lara. She's a character built around rich people doing crazy fucked up shit because they're bored.

I feel like they tried to give reboot Lara more of an interest in history to justify her actions but...yeah, you can't make a game like this and place your character's profession as 100% legitimate. Indy was making seedy black market deals. Nate's straight up a thief. Evie's from that time period where it was okay for British people to just steal all your shit, and yet is more interested in exploration than actually taking stuff.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This I absolutely disagree with.

Her take was different, and very much a different Lara but I felt her voice work was brilliant and I loved her portrayal in 2013.

I admit to ditching the sequels due to how they fridged Sam, so I only have brief experience and maybe she got way worse...but I will Stan her performance in 2013 forever.
Actually, I didn't think it was that bad in 2013. It was different, for sure, but I could believe it because it was a completely inexperienced Lara Croft going through traumatic events. Her voice acting fit then, and while I couldn't recognize much of the traces of Lara Croft we're used to, I could see how she could grow to be a more bad ass protagonist without being emotionally shallow. I was legit excited for her future back then.

But throughout both sequels, her acting is very much the same. She speaks as if she just ran five miles, she always sounds like she's desperate, she sounds unprepared throughout the whole trilogy, there's very little resolve in her attitude and voice. It's like she never grew.

And having seen Camilla Luddington in Grey's Anatomy, I can say she really doesn't have a lot of range.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can only speak for myself but I feel like the problem is that they didn't have to introduce a damsel for Lara to save in order to motivate her in her own origin story in the first place. If I remember correctly, her origin story in the classics was that she survived a plane crash and had to survive on her own before being found which was essentially the 'spark' for her. Yet in the reboot, it feels like a lot of the major aspects of her origins or even her iconic imagery is tied to characters we don't have a reason to care about: from her dad being the reason she's even an archeologist (even though her parents disowned her doing it in the classics), to Roth being the source of her iconic dual pistols, etc. I personally liked the early concepts of TR13 aka Ascension where it seemed to be more of a solo adventure on the island personally.

RIP this Lara.

latest

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for myself but I feel like the problem is that they didn't have to introduce a damsel for Lara to save in order to motivate her in her own origin story in the first place. If I remember correctly, her origin story in the classics was that she survived a plane crash and had to survive on her own before being found which was essentially the 'spark' for her. Yet in the reboot, it feels like a lot of the major aspects of her origins or even her iconic imagery is tied to characters we don't have a reason to care about: from her dad being the reason she's even an archeologist (even though her parents disowned her doing it in the classics), to Roth being the source of her iconic dual pistols, etc. I personally liked the early concepts of TR13 aka Ascension where it seemed to be more of a solo adventure on the island personally.

RIP this Lara.

latest
While I do adore that Lara, and some of what you say I agree with the simple fact is Sam added to Lara's character as it showed her human side, the desire to protect people she loved instead of constantly doing it because her past (father) or because she was told.

Take Sam have her be an offsite so you don't see her, but keep all the banter and emotions that Lara has and Sam still absolutely helps Lara be Lara.

I personally don't mind the love interest being saved, millions of people love Drake and Elena, and I don't see any reason that it can't work for Lara/Sam.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
While I don't really like modern Lara, I do have to give Crystal Dynamics credit for not Rambo-ing her. The first reboot Tomb Raider is basically First Blood -- someone is driven by extreme trauma and circumstances to become a killer. But while the Rambo sequels basically just turned the character into a generic action hero, Lara basically stayed fucked up. That doesn't make for a likable hero, but I give them points to sticking to their guns.

That said, yeah, it's time for something different. I'd like to see one that maybe takes notes from the Thief games -- have a confident adult Lara living in a European inspired city. Lots of costume changes, fun missions where she attends fancy parties ect. Maybe a romance! Have the titular tomb raiding involve her going down into the equivalent of the Paris catacombs (avoid the whole uncomfortable "stealing artifacts from indigenous people" thing).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Yes exactly, thank you OP. It's been over ten years now without confident Lara, it's about time that character returns.

I'm really tired of the "you'll want to protect her" Lara Croft.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think in Kratos' case, it becomes a narrative of growth, grief, and maturity. It's the old warrior confronting his violent past and coming to terms with what will be passed on to his kin. GoW isn't a perfect version of that story - but it's working off of very well-worn tropes. However, you can't really do that in reverse.
From that perspective, completely, and I think it works pretty well.
That's the dad and son part that I found terrible.

Sep 22, 2019
I only liked her new personality in the first game of the reboot trilogy... I couldn't bring myself to finish part 2 nor 3, they felt like bad Uncharted games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the game for you @OP:

But yeah, while I've never liked the old Tomb Raider games her character was much better than in the reboot trilogy. A more light-hearted, fantasy/adventerous approach is what they should aim for.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know OP.

Going back to the old Core design where literally the only thing defining Lara as characters are a bunch of sex jokes, James Bond one liners and dubious camera angles doesn't seem to be the way to go.

I'm not gonna say that the new trilogy was really well written or anything, but people screaming "JUST GO BACK TO TR AND TR2! THEY WERE GREAT! LARA ROCKS!" Seem to have forgotten that her personality in those games was just the polar opposite but was similarly uninteresting.

I think there was a good mix forged with the TR: Legend/Underworld stuff as it actually puts weight on the lore of her family without her being some weird wanderlust focused maniac. But I'm also not going to pretend that those two games and the trio of horrible games that game before them were little more than absolutely piss poor action movie scripts.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
for me, the 'let's make lara croft 'vulnerable' ' re-imagining is basically equivalent to 'let's make lara croft not lara croft, but continue to refer to the games themselves as 'tomb raider' ' - pure 'have your cake & eat it' level incoherence, & an insult to a great character...

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
You didn't play the latest game i see. The second video i posted in the OP is exactly about that. How she could go from crying to Rambo in a second.

The same way she could go from shaking her tits for the camera to then shooting it two seconds later. Both are indicative of toxic extremes pushed by the writers to try to give their characters edge or depth and both fail miserably. The camera being shot by Lara as she's starting to undress in TR1 is just as cringy as those weird rapey moments in TR Reboot 1. They're both unnecessary and tript, but the writers absolutely consider them defining aspects of the character.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the first Tomb Raider reboot as an origin story for her, but then the second and third games felt like they kept dragging that out with that stupid Trinity storyline.

Also a minor issue, but it was really annoying that they ended the first game with Lara getting the dual pistols, but then they completely ignore that in both the sequels.

I guess they were so proud of the bow that they wanted that to be her new "thing".

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the new Lara than the old one and the games are much better. If they do back to old Lara I will stop playing the games.

I would accept a half way house between the two. I bit like Chloe from Uncharted.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I don't think extremely superhuman confident uber-sexualized Lara is the goal. We were already mocking that trope back in 1993:
Last_action_hero_ver2.jpg

It's ok to not like the new personality (I don't like it either), but we can go to a new perspective updated to modern standards.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I just can't stand this character (never played the original games). They desperately need to get new (competent) writers and also a new voice actress if they ever go back to this franchise.

The gap in quality between TR games and something like Lost Legacy in terms of writing/enjoyable characters is just massive. There's a lot of room for improvement.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When the first game came out, I was hoping she'd slowly evolve into the original Lara, and that you'd be able to look back over the course of a handful of games and see the smooth arc between the two. But it just never happened.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just make her an epic badass again without the oversexualization......

Jesse in Control, Chloe Frazer in Lost Legacy managed it. but with the Tomb Raider style.

Last edited:

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
I think there needs to be a middle ground. The depiction of Lara in the older games was somewhat limited in depth, in line with late 90s standards. Technical limitations prevented any meaningful facial expressions being conveyed to the player, for example. I'm not sure that format would translate well to the gaming standards of today. That being said, I'd love for the next entry to channel some of the 90s 'tude the original games surfed on.