• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I turned 50 this year and am finding it's more difficult for me to keep up with the action games. I purchased Monster Hunter World for the PC earlier this year and that one really did me in- I ended up getting tendinitis and trigger finger. I just started playing God of War on my PS4 and am finding I just can't keep up on normal difficulty. Previous game I played was AC: Origins and could just about manage that one. Forget about multiplayer FPS- I get killed in 2 secs.

It seems the action games are just out of my reach now- the controllers are too hard on my hands, not really fast enough to play some games in multiplayer on the PC anymore. I used to be good at the online FPS, but Battlefield 3 was really the last of my FPS games. As a long time gamer I'm torn on whether I'm missing something (or even cheating) by choosing the easy option, but I'm grateful it's there.

Zork IV anyone? 😀

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Personal attack.
Congrats.

Now focus more on developing more productive life skills such as cooking, painting, playing an instrument, or hanging dry wall

EDIT: I'm an idiot who can't read apparently

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nothing wrong with that as long as you are enjoying the games you play.

I sometimes play games easy not because my reaction time is getting worse, its just I have so many games to play and usually am busy that I dont want to invest hours and hours on games that should be finished within a couple of hours.

RPGs are fine though.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I turned 50 this year and am finding it's more difficult for me to keep up with the action games. I purchased Monster Hunter World for the PC earlier this year and that one really did me in- I ended up getting tendinitis and trigger finger. I just started playing God of War on my PS4 and am finding I just can't keep up on normal difficulty. Previous game I played was AC: Origins and could just about manage that one. Forget about multiplayer FPS- I get killed in 2 secs.

It seems the action games are just out of my reach now- the controllers are too hard on my hands, not really fast enough to play some games in multiplayer on the PC anymore. I used to be good at the online FPS, but Battlefield 3 was really the last of my FPS games. As a long time gamer I'm torn on whether I'm missing something (or even cheating) by choosing the easy option, but I'm grateful it's there.

Zork IV anyone? 😀

As someone only 3 years from 50, I definitely sympathize. I'm someone who will usually pick the hardest difficulty right off the bat, and I'm kind of dreading having to get used to not being responsive enough to make that work.

A new Zork would be awesome tho.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
pPdNZ3c.jpg

jk

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's moronic for anyone to shame someone for playing a game 'the wrong way.' Not everyone has the time to git gud, and games are still supposed to be fun, not work.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah don't stress about it, just have fun. There's no point playing a game if you're not enjoying it or if it physically hurts to play.
Only losers belittle others for playing on easy.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
Games are all about fun, man. I play plenty of games on easy and have a great time. If you really stick with a game and want to keep playing it, maybe consider replaying it on a higher difficulty, but if you can't, you aren't missing anything.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats.

Now focus more on developing more productive life skills such as cooking, painting, playing an instrument, or hanging dry wall
You're not really that funny.

OP, nothing wrong with needing to change up what difficulty modes you play on! I love FFXIV, but will never again do the end game grind or raids. The people who do that seem to demand perfection and I'm just too casual to hang.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I just hit 40 and my skill in fighting games has decreased, my reactions and execution just aren't up to snuff anymore, and i was never particularly good at competitive shooters but i am even worse now, but at least i got some cool streaks of grey hair so at least i got that going for me.

Last edited:

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
you don't have to get out of competitive shooters or simply shooters just because they're more demanding nowadays. I'm sure you could manage something like Destiny 2 or Overwatch, which theyre simple enough and sometimes demand more strategy rather than quick reflexes.

I can relate on having to tone down the difficulties on games, i'm 28 and i've loved very hard games all my life, but recently due to time restrictions, i can't have the luxury of investing hours and hours on hard games if i keep on dying and eventually i drop the game.

Anyways, going back on selecting different types of games, there's that story of the 80 year old Destiny 2 player that completed a raid thanks to the help of the community.
So i say: Don't give up!

Congrats on hitting level 50, and don't forget to exercise daily! That's something i remind even myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
You do you man, do what makes the games fun for you, screw anyone that gives you shit about that. As someone that is about to turn 38 this is about the only thing I fear about getting older, I can still hang in games that need reflexes and in some instances even better than I used to but I know that isn't gonna last. 😢

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. I'm a lot younger than you and I play most games on easy. The difficulty shaming that goes on among gamers has always felt childish to me. Who cares if someone wants to take it easy.

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory "git gud" post

Good on you OP. Plenty of games are still good without significant mechanical challenge. For the Battlefield games, you can still be extremely helpful to your team repairing, spotting, reviving, etc. I've gotten #1 score on the team focusing on just that.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
you don't have to get out of competitive shooters or simply shooters just because they're more demanding nowadays. I'm sure you could manage something like Destiny 2 or Overwatch, which theyre simple enough and sometimes demand more strategy rather than quick reflexes.

I can relate on having to tone down the difficulties on games, i'm 28 and i've loved very hard games all my life, but recently due to time restrictions, i can't have the luxury of investing hours and hours on hard games if i keep on dying and eventually i drop the game.

Anyways, going back on selecting different types of games, there's that story of the 80 year old Destiny 2 player that completed a raid thanks to the help of the community.
So i say: Don't give up!

Congrats on hitting level 50, and don't forget to exercise daily! That's something i remind even myself.
I played Destiny 2 last year, I was able to manage that one, but it was pre-tendinitis. I also played a bit of the Division with a controller and it went ok. I find myself leaning more and more towards RPGs, ARPGs, etc, games that don't take as much manual dexterity.

Oh, also, I'm a professional musician. lol

May 18, 2018
I refuse to put games like Bayonetta or MGR on easy as a personal thing. Divinity Original Sin 2? Easy difficulty. Prey? Easy difficulty.

The best thing about gaming is when you realize you have 0 to prove by playing games on something harder than you want. I learned that 2 years ago at 35 and if your game is too much for me on Normal, I will put hit up that difficulty settings quickly.

I played CoD Black Ops 4 for a bit and had a blast running around shooting things. K/D was probably .7 or some shit but I didn't care. I was there to enjoy myself not care about some tryhard making fun of me about a game I don't care much about.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 and I have been playing games on easy all my life unless there was no option to do that in which case I only stuck with it if it was something really special (Bloodborne is a recent example). Needless to say, I never play online games.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing Warriors Orochi 4 on easy mode right now. Great stress reliever.

Nothing wrong with going "easy mode".

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

Zork IV anyone? 😀
It depends on the game sometimes i hit a wall and do not want to grind past it so i will lower it to ease my time i love when you adjust the difficulty mid game it makes a for a better experience. and no shame on doing easy mode some things are legit hard even on normal

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Can't say I'm any worse at games with age than I used to be but my eyesight started taking a nosedive once I hit my 40s and has been getting worse since, to the point where I even struggle to see my Switch. I'm near sighted too so my best options are bifocals or progressives, been holding out on that but I don't think I can much longer...

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Play to have fun, normal or easy for me also I don't give a shit anymore about "Uber hard mode". I have zero time as it is, don't want to be doing levels over and over again.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Mate, I'm 33 and I put games on easy.

Not all games, mind you. Just ones where dying adds nothing to the experience other than a loading screen and losing a few minutes of progression.

I love challenging games like Dark Souls where difficulty is organic and there's a clear-cut penalty for death.
However, if I'm dying and getting frustrated and the game has the option, I'm cranking that shit down a notch.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing games on easy since I was a teenager. I play to have fun, not get good or be frustrated.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The setting itself doesn't matter, play on the setting which you find funnest.

If easy is a challenge that you enjoy, great!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Zork IV anyone? 😀

I'm on the older side of this forum and while I'm not having skill/reflex issues, I'm certainly having more pain. I definitely have arthritis in my wrist and I'm getting it in a couple fingers (at least). It sucks.

I might have skill/reflex issues and not realize it because of the game types that I play.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Life's too short to waste time playing games and not having fun. You do you, fuck what everyone else says. Heck, I'm 35 and I'm starting to feel the not even that old bones can't take as much X-treeeeeeeeme controller action as they used to. I reckon I'm gonna be in your shoes real soon.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Zork IV anyone? 😀

I'm 31, and I'll drop the difficulty in a game to Easy without hesitation if I'm not making any progress.

Also, I'm all in for another Zork game. It's been far too long since Grand Inquisitor.

Feb 21, 2019
If Im having trouble with something, I drop the difficulty. Im in my 30s, I don;'t have time to mess around with something for a week. I play games to chill out a little after working late....I don't want to be more frustrated. (Unless its FromSoftware games, but the games are designed around that).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'd rather see another sequel in the Planetfall series than Zork. Steve Meretzky is a master, honestly.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still managing somehow but I already feel the decay setting in. I can still handle single player fine, but I'm totally with you when it comes to competitive multiplayer, I can't compete at all.
I wonder if 6 years from now when I hit the big five oh things will be different.