Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I could drive to my work right now in 10 minutes (live in Pittsburgh and there's a highway 2 minutes from my house that I can take to my work which is about 2 minutes from the highway).

I take the bus every day to work though and it's more like a 50 minute ride each way.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I have a similar commute and 12 hour shifts, but thankfully the rush hour traffic is going the opposite way so traffic isn't usually that much of a problem. Sucks if there's an accident but my phone will usually alert me so I can take an alternate route around it. I usually listen to podcasts or Spotify. I need to check out some audio books sometime.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
After I graduated and became a Med Lab Tech, I couldn't find any work around where we lived. Probably my fault getting a late start applying and thinking the job is so in demand. Anyways, I finally got a job 3 hours away. I stayed with my sister who lived an hour and a half away when I went to work for over a year. I'm so damn glad I have a five minute drive to work now.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
When you're sardine packed in with a bunch of people, no AC, and someone performing a pole dancing routine about to kick you in the head, it's hard to get things done. Even in the earlier stops on the train, it gets filled up immediately. System needs a serious overhaul. I try to get on in one of the earliest stops possible and when I do get a sseat I get to sleep/read.
Ahh , the pole dancing...Showtime!

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
At the community college I tutor at they just opened a new campus literally two minutes from my house. It's bliss. Except my pay is relatively low and there are very limited hours.

Jombag

Nov 12, 2017
I drive the same length of time every day too and I agree with you. It's not work that sucks its the commute. When is teleportation going to happen?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do at least 45 minutes everyday to and from work. Audiobooks are saving my ass right now. Audible is a Godsend.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that is why I am moving from Houston, Texas to Spokane Washington. The drive is brutal, and a 8-9hour work day can turn into 12.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
I have a 45 minute, 24 mile one way commute that I make 5-6 days a week for work. I work for 11 hours on most days. I can deal with the drive thanks to Giant Bomb, but the constant sitting and lack of free time has clearly taken its toll on my health. I don't the job or drive, but I feel like shit all of the time.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My dad used to drive about am hour and fifteen minutes to and from work. I asked him about it one day, like why he didn't get a closer job or why we didn't move to the city. He said he loved his commute; it was long enough that he didn't take his personal problems to work or his professional problems home, since he had time to get them out of his system.

He was always pissed off about traffic and idiot drivers instead.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar commute for more than a year and it was awful. I did end up moving closer to where I work, then we moved offices to an even closer proximity to where I live. Now, work is just a 5 minute drive away

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 5 minute walk from my office. Only downside is that it's still living in LA

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I drive about 2500 miles a month for work. I enjoy driving, and an audible subscription has been awesome.

Deleted member 11173

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol why Spokane? Well it's not so bad here. Our average commute is around 20 minutes.
  • Next to Nature
  • No/Little Traffic
  • Actual Seasons
  • Jobs
  • Future Growth
  • Totally Underrated City
  • You can actually own 5-10 acres within 45 minutes of the city for under 100k.
We originally wanted to move to BC, but that was too expensive and immigration is difficult. Seattle is too expensive, and the commute still sucks and good luck buying any land. Portland, less expensive, but commute still sucks, but land 1 hour out was reasonable. Vancouver, WA - Traffic is terrible if you worked in Portland.

That kinda leaves you with only a few cities - Bend, OR, which doesnt have the job market. Boise, ID is ugly as fuck (and it's Idaho), and Spokane, WA.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
My dad used to drive about am hour and fifteen minutes to and from work. I asked him about it one day, like why he didn't get a closer job or why we didn't move to the city. He said he loved his commute; it was long enough that he didn't take his personal problems to work or his professional problems home, since he had time to get them out of his system.

He was always pissed off about traffic and idiot drivers instead.

Honestly, this was my reason for choosing the college I attended. Granted, it was a 15-20 minute commute, but I had one within 5. I just didn't want to mix the two worlds too much at 18.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
1 hour in the morning. 1.5hr on the way back.

It sucks. And I'm running out of tunes. Need to find some audiobooks.

I can save 15-20 minutes taking the 407 toll highway but then I'd go broke lol.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do 5 hours everyday OP
2.5 each way. It can get much much worse.

My advice is to think of long term solutions, because yes, its not sustainable.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The quality of life i gained from buying my own house will never not outweigh the hour long commute .... podcasts and music it's my downtime honestly

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Did like 50-ish mins, by train, one way, each day for about three years until I managed to move to a 10min walking distance from work. It's worth the extra cost of living in the city and it makes everyday life more bearable. Now I look forward to work, I get my morning espresso and fruit there.

During the train days, in the midst of winter the commute could take three (!!!) hours because the train would get stuck in the snow. Then I had to take replacement buses and they rarely had enough for all so you had to wait in the snow and freeze with the others then attack as soon as the bus doors opened. Whoever said Swedes are civil are mistaken hehehe

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
My commute changes every week. This week it's an hour and a half each way, but I'm thankful to be working close enough to home. Some weeks I just have to stay out of town until the drive home on Fridays. I am off work for the entire summer (with pay) so that's nice at least.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
3 hour a day train commute. I study on the train but its not effective study and I am too tired to do it when I get home after a 12 hour day.

Study leave comes out of my vacation days so no chill days.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I go on the subway but it takes me 50 min per travel and I fucking hate it, even if I can read or listen to music I feel trapped and wasting time.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My life sucks.

Where the hell are the self-driving cars already?

Anyone else have bullshit commutes? How much of a pay cut would you take to work from home?

Going to sleep, gotta be up early again tomorrow.

My life fucking sucks.

1 hour and 30 mins each way on top of a 12 hour shift is what I used to do... get on my level, scrub

I feel for you man, I know exactly how it feels. Even now my commute time is still obscene (80 mins both ways), if it wasn't me doing the driving I think it would be a lot better.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Multiply your commute times 200, then multiply that by how many years you have/will have driven that commute. Now look at those hours and ask what you could have done with them, how much it cost to drive those miles ($.50/mile roughly). I once read an economist who argued, with statistics, that if your commute is over 5 minutes you should move or get a new job. The cost of your time, vehicle maintenance, etc don't add up. If you buy a more expensive but closer home you end up actually ahead, especially if you can bike.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
OP I FEEL YOU!

My commute is an hour and a half to two hours depending on daily traffic. Both ways.

I can't go on like this. I'm going to die. I can totally relate to the soul crushing aspect. When I stop and think about just how much time I lose from my life from this commute I get kinda depressed, not gonna lie.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Multiply your commute times 200, then multiply that by how many years you have/will have driven that commute. Now look at those hours and ask what you could have done with them, how much it cost to drive those miles ($.50/mile roughly). I once read an economist who argued, with statistics, that if your commute is over 5 minutes you should move or get a new job. The cost of your time, vehicle maintenance, etc don't add up. If you buy a more expensive but closer home you end up actually ahead, especially if you can bike.

I thought it was 20 minutes? 5 minutes sound too restrictive.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
The type of commute you have makes a big difference.

If you for example, drive to work for an hour, you are occupied with drive itself, that is your only focus.

However, if take a train for an hour to work, the passive nature of the journey allows you to do other things, so you don't feel like you are actually wasting that time.

I would choose train/bus over driving any day.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2009/2010, when I was first starting out at my job (3 months as a summer intern before my senior year of college, then the first 3 months as a full time employee after graduating from college), here is how my commute to work went:

Take a 5 minute bus ride to the light rail station downtown.

Take the light rail about 5 stops out of downtown.

Then ride a full bus route which started at the light rail stop and ended at a transit station near my workplace.

~90 minutes each way, the transit station -> light rail bus route only came by once an hour so if you missed it you were stuck waiting another 60 minutes.

It was hell. I would get up at like 5 am each day and get home at 6:30 or 7 PM. I had no leisure time outside of playing my DS during my commute and checking the internet for half an hour to an hour at home. I can't imagine that kind of a life where the commute was that long because I was DRIVING like 30 or 40 miles each way

For the love of god, move closer to your work place

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
is commute for everyone here the moment you left your house til the moment you are at your job's door or just the time you ride a vehicle??

for me the former is 35 minutes, the later is 18 mimutes

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
is commute for everyone here the moment you left your house til the moment you are at your job's door or just the time you ride a vehicle??

for me the former is 35 minutes, the later is 18 mimutes
good point. for me though there's basically no distinction; my car is parked outside where i live and i park right outside the building i work in. my commute is about 10-12 minutes in the morning and 15-20 minutes in the evening.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I sympathize with the OP. Commuting isn't too bad unless one has to drive. Mass transit systems are a blessing in this day and age.

I drive four hours each day (two hours drive one-way). So I'm basically away from home 13 hours every day. Totally spent and sapped of energy by the time I reach home.

Regardless of driving, regular long commutes are the single worst thing I would wish for anybody. Doubly so if your workplace doesn't facilitate or compensate you in some way.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i recently moved because of a longish commute. now it takes 8 minutes by foot to reach my work. the qol upgrade is immeasurable

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Did this for three months during student teaching; but it was 2 to 2.5 hours depending on traffic. Get into podcasts. Or find a bunch of music you like and learn to sing. Passes the time real fast.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could never. I walk about 6 minutes to get a bus, 10 minutes travel then 5 more minutes of walking.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In Portland 4 miles can take 40 minutes. Today it took nearly an hour.

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have the same journey and I love only 7(ish) miles from work... an hour to do 7 miles... and this is Norn Iron. Doing it for near on 15 years.

Last Podcast on the Left and Stuff You Should Know are my savours.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I have to get a bus to the train station, then an hour long train journey, twice a day.

3 hour commute daily, 5 times a week.

Chill OP, you doing ok

I'm out from 7am and get home at 7pm.