Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Checked wikipedia, apparently it only went to 51st place in the US. It was number 1 in a ton of european countries.

Surprised it hit #1 in some places. It is not a... bright happy song. I remember them playing it on video shows after school and how the usually cheering audience would be eerily quiet as hell after the video when the hosts came back on screen.

Jesus man, lol.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm never listened to a lot of Eminem growing up, even though it was in my prime time, but I do recall hearing a bit about this back then. Especially after watching the video.
First time seeing this comic, and it is wonderful. What's even cooler is something I found on the site, when I long pressed the comic to save it, in that pop up menu there was additional text I couldn't find anywhere else in the page. It read:

"Saying 'what kind of an idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring than telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time."

Kinda neat.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I knew the term "stan" came from Eminem's Stan. I didn't know Dido's bit in Eminem's Stan was actually sampled from one of her own songs.

I get to feel smug and silly simultaneously.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I knew this. Surprised at how many people were clueless about it. I'm pretty sure it was discussed here years ago too.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Didn't need to be a Eminem fan to have heard it. Dido made it pop.

To me, I had heard the Dido song many times before. In fact I had the album. I didn't feel the need to engage with the Eminem release, which is a pity because I only listened to the lyrics years later.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I have some employees at work that didn't know this as well. I also have a younger lady that has used the term "starvin Marvin" a few times. She had absolutely no idea about the South Park reference. She's like 22, and just bizarre to hear from someone.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know this was the origin of the term despite being very familiar with the song. Interesting. This is likely to be the true legacy of Eminen when all is said and done.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like the forum KanyeToThe really popularized its current meaning back in the late 00s-early 10s.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Do your friends know that Stan used to be a ghost when he was a kid and once had to cut off his own hand when it became possessed by an evil spirit?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I think the use of "a Stan" as a derogatory term was
I believe a major factor is Ether by Nas that is what popularizes its use as an insult. So there's even an evolution from Eminem to insult.

www.youtube.com

Nas - Ether (Lyrics)

Artist/Group: NasAlbum: StillmaticReleased: 2001Label: Ill Will/Columbia--------------------------------------------------"Ether" is a diss song by hip hop r...

Damn, beaten. Yes, an iconic line from one of the most popular and influential diss tracks of all time made the term ubiquitous as an insult in the black community.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Makes sense. It's easy not to care about etymology, and it's also easy to come up with some personal "folk etymology" about how a word came to be. e.g. "stan" is very similar to the word "fan," and also to "stand." Therefore the word came into being as a portmanteau of the two words, perhaps as a way of describing a loyal fan who will "stand" for the thing they are a fan of.

Nov 9, 2017
I figured it out pretty quickly the first time I heard it.

That said - it's such a stupid fucking term to use I roll my eyes when I hear people say it out loud.

Yah I'm older (Gen X) - get off my lawn and all that.

Zeus

Corrupted by Vengeance and Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 33, a fan of Eminem and this is the first i'm learning of it.
I'm guessing this is more common than OP expected cos I couldn't see so many people turning it into something many use as a term of endearment for things they're crazy about ("I'm an 'x" stan!) if it was.

Neat to know though!

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i heard a group of 2nd grade boys rapping lose yourself at school the other day. the kids know the GOAT

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The term came around more than a decade after Eminem song came out. I only became aware of the connection when someone pointed it out a year or two ago.

I just assumed it was another random word people started using when we already had perfectly good words we could already use. It's the same with all slang so I've just learned to go with it rather than delve into its origin.

Most people spread slang without ever considering the origin. As long as the meaning is understood, it doesn't really matter.

People were using the term as early as Ether when Nas called Jay Z one. That was 2001.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The term came around more than a decade after Eminem song came out. I only became aware of the connection when someone pointed it out a year or two ago.

I just assumed it was another random word people started using when we already had perfectly good words we could already use. It's the same with all slang so I've just learned to go with it rather than delve into its origin.

Most people spread slang without ever considering the origin. As long as the meaning is understood, it doesn't really matter.

Ether came out a decade after Stan?

How does this Stan mean the current stan - I'm having trouble connecting those two?

Stan is a song about a guy named Stan who is an obsessive fan of Eminem.

Stan today means obsessive fan.

What's there to connect?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Surprised it hit #1 in some places. It is not a... bright happy song. I remember them playing it on video shows after school and how the usually cheering audience would be eerily quiet as hell after the video when the hosts came back on screen.

Jesus man, lol.

Eminem was super popular at that point in time and there's probably a lot of people that liked his music that didn't really understand what any of his lyrics meant. I didn't speak much English when Eminem first became popular and we were still going around singing Slim Shady stuff without understanding what we said!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 47 and didn't know this. Had heard the song name and probably the song but never bothered to even consider trying to put 2 and 2 together.

I always assumed stan was a contraction of stand e.g. standing ovation or the idea of "standing for something like an idea or person". E.g. I stand for democracy becomes I stan for democracy.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
My tears don't fall I wonder why...

For some reason I always understand something different from the lyrics, even when the song is in my mother language

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I bet there are people who use a variation of "mom's spaghetti " without knowing the origin.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
Didnt know that, thought it was a version of something combined with 'fan' . But never bothered to look it up ha

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Wow hmm well that's a choice

But did you know that she was once fiancée to Bob Page of Bob Page Industries, Versalife, leader of the Majestic 12 and also a member of the Illuminati?
wow! no I did not.
Fair. These types of things usually come from a source, but it takes someone using them in a way that people latch onto and mimic to really blow up even more
yeah, exactly. Em was the source, but one could argue that Nas made the usage of it become the colloquial term it is now

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I'm 33, and never started listening to Eminem until this year, funnily enough after watching an Inside of You interview with Devon Sawa. Never heard the term growing up.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a kid at my work didn't know til I explained it to him the other day. Can't blame him though, I don't think he was even born yet.