• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely nuts that Redd can easily show up with all fakes, and in the few times he's shown up for me, at most one legit piece of art.

And that except for a few obvious fakes, you have to look them up to be sure.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Leif doesn't seem like he has the catalogue to justify showing up every week.

I mentioned it earlier, but maybe the way to fix it would be to let you 'home' certain travelers in your shops. Nook can take Leif or Sahara. Mabel can take Label or Kicks. That takes two out of circulation while still allowing you to have a unique thing to trade with friends.

You're right. Visitors like Label and Leif can easily fit in the current shops, while visitors with mystery items like Sahara and Kicks are more unique. Therefore desirable to other players.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up on Redd. They really fucked it up. Same with the other visitors. The weekly visitors suck. NONE of them deserve a dedicated slot. Least of all Leif or Kicks. Kicking them down to visitor status is bullshit.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Total playtime doesn't really factor in to your art colection. You can play 10 hours on a day Redd didn't visit, and then five minutes on a day he is there and increase by one piece. I am resigned to just understanding my museum will only be complete after years, if ever.

OP
OP
m4st4

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you decide to do it, it goes like this: Let's say he spawns on your island tomorrow (gonna be using dates from my timezone here), June 25th. Check his selection, weed out fakes, buy a piece, all the normal stuff. Travel backwards to the day before he spawned (24th), and just log in and out of the game. Then travel forward to his spawn day (25th). You should get the Isabelle screen, which resets his stock but not his spawn. So he'll be there, but with a new selection. The selection is aggravatingly random - it doesn't care about what you already have, and he can show up with nothing but fakes. You can, however, repeat this process infinitely, including if you let time advance to the days after his spawn - as long as you don't let the game advance to the next week.
Damn. I might actually say fuck it and do this, for the sake of art! Lol.

Thanks so much for helping and in such detail. đź‘Ś

Edit: just to clarify, I understand my total time playing has nothing to do with Redd, but wanted to add it to the whole story to show just how ridiculously unrewarding it is to play for so many hours and to get such a tiny window of mere opportunity to get an art piece. The grind? It's real. Thay's why I mentioned my playtime.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing every day for around a month. I've seen Redd three times, Gulliver three times, Celeste once and I have yet to ever encounter Flick or CJ.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have over 400 hours and i only have 4 penguins living on my island it is absolute horseshit

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100 hours in. In that time, ive seen him
Once, is he supposed to show up at a set time or is it bullshit fucking rng whether or not he will show at all like everything else in this game?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Playing everyday since release, only got Redd on my island twice. Huge mistake from Nintendo for making him one of the characters that do not have a specific day to show up on you island. Also even on games with RNG like this there is always a pity timer of sorts, which I'm sure Nintendo did not implement because reasons.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
After almost a month of no-shows, he finally showed up on my island and I just never let him leave. I TT'd forward a day and then back to "his" day until I competed the art wing. I got so many dupes that I completed over half of my mom's art collection too.
He is way too rare.
Omg if he ever shows up again I'm doing this.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not really relevant to list how many hours you've played because a) he didn't show up until two months in and b) he's either there that day or he isn't. you're still going to play.

OP
OP
m4st4

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They need to find a way to make this work in a fixed way, a la KK on Saturdays. That way people who already did most of the hard work within the game can just specifically login on certain days to get what they need.

But it's Nintendo. Basic stuff eludes them.

I mean, fuck all of this if my save file gets corrupted right? I specifically bought Nintendo Online for a whole year just to be able to save this game... And I cannot. Cloud doesn't exist.

Stuff like that is just baffling to me. Prehistoric even. Might get Blathers to investigate.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
100 hours in. In that time, ive seen him
Once, is he supposed to show up at a set time or is it bullshit fucking rng whether or not he will show at all like everything else in this game?
It's completely random, that's why you have to check every day and pray his boat is there.
Once he's in your island you have all that day to buy whatever you want from him.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, that's normal. Your progress on a lot of things has nothing to do with how many hours you've played. You could play 24/7 for half a year and not finish your paintings or golden shovel just because the characters you need only show up once every couple weeks.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, about the same for me. Maybe I have 5?

I was just chatting about the game with my girlfriend last night, who is also an avid player. And how this game preys on a feeling of FOMO to keep you playing. The game is unintuitive as hell and seems designed to string you along - not just with the infrequency of Redd visits, but how often you get repeated crafting recipes, how long it takes to construct multiple items, how you can't buy fish bait, how tedious the dialogue is, and a whole host of other stuff that's been pointed out by others ad nauseam in previous threads.

Yet, I find myself still steadily playing because I know that if I abandon it, deleterious things will happen. My villagers will move, weeds will grow, and I'll miss out on other opportunities. I've completed the fossil museum (how nice is it that I still have to get fossils analyzed before I can sell them for decent cash, though?), but I don't even want to think about how long it would take to complete the art gallery. My girlfriend has only had Label visit her island once despite playing the game daily since March. It's fucking stupid.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Same. Last week he didn't even have any real ones, so now I just have a forged Girl with a Pearl Earring in my house. One piece a week is just way too slow, especially this far after release when it's a lot to ask me to play every day to catch him, so I often end up missing whole weeks.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
There are definitely some wonky things that they could easily fix by altering a few parameters, like:

- The appearance rate for Redd, as you mentioned - I'd also add Gulliver, I feel like I never see him even though I check the beaches every day
- The very low spawn rate for Summer Shells, which just seems silly considering how many you need to craft all of the shell recipes
- The spawn rate for big star pieces - I think I've only found one of these on any given day, even the day after my island has a meteor shower where I wish on over 100 stars.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I've always had a problem with Redd in the franchise, but it's even worse in New Horizons since he wasn't in at launch. I feel like I missed out on seeing him when I was playing more pre-patch. Now that he's in the game, I haven't seen him since his first visit.