• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
For so many reasons. I'm already fully prepared for a Big thread backfire...but is there anyone else out there that feels the same?
Not only do they stifle creativity, but they're fueled by content thieves who are making a living off the work of others. Stealing funny tweets / jokes / images, and using them to gain a following on social media to sell sponsorships.

Outside of that, I think they genuinely stop people from sharing any original thoughts, shorten attention spans, and reduce nuanced ideas or topics to two sentences without any context or substance.

I just fucking detest it. Nothing stops me from disengaging with a person faster than "have you seen this meme?"

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
OK_thumb.jpg

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Tell us a joke funny man, like the old times. Gather around

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly, for me, memes are the most accessible form of art that also doubles as the most efficient form communication conveying empathy/relatability.

I am not going disagree of its over usage or being utterly insensitive to certain issues when co-opted by hate groups or general assholes.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You mean like those Instagram meme accounts? Yeah those are super lame. But memes that come from community spaces like this forum I think are super great. Memes are community driven humour, when it's not a community they lose all soul.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
OP just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Meme Culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in ResetEra where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in memes, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

OP, publicly apologize and delete this thread or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You hate it so much, you made 2 threads.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Memes are great. Meme pages/accounts, excluding maybe two, are lame. I followed some Instagram account that rebranded itself into a meme page.. it's like middle school humor of drowning people in once funny jokes.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Meme is just a terrible word associated with annoying people.

Besides that, i browse the IMGUR app frequently, and man some of that stuff really cracks me up.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yeah memes can be fun but sometimes they can be too much too.

we used to be fine without short-form referential comedy.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the internet, I don't really encounter it. It's only a problem if all your conversations are through posts.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't detest all memes, but they are for the most part the lazy/unfunny man's lowest common denominator form of humor, which is why they are so popular.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sometimes i hate it too. it's like that key and peele sketch where that guy can't give his own opinions except replace that with a guy that memes.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I usually like the meme i create or obscure meme and hate everything else that everybody likes

Works also pretty much on every media

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The duplicate thread closure got me good.

Haha, I don't know how it posted twice, but it was for sure a weird error (posted from mobile).
Funnily enough, I saw both on the front page and was like "oh fucking great my thread got meme'd in seconds"

For clarity though, I mostly mean stuff from Insta / Facebook / Twitter. Political memes, stolen joke accounts, or people who start conversations with memes, etc.

Like, some of it I admittedly do enjoy, like that old "Shot themselves in the foot" meme.