• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I don't much care about the way corporations try to sell me their shit, but I'm glad most of the ones I've seen nowadays don't have that weird smugness & toxicity anymore. There's obviously a space for fun skits & fun stuff like the Odyssey one someone posted, but I genuinely wouldn't like them to go back to trying to be edgy or some shit. Also I wouldn't agree with saying GoW was an apology for the older games & rather that it just finally matured which was very needed to get out of that misogynistic & edgy corner the franchise was in.

commercials like that would be pretty cringe newfags
nowadays
what crude humored games did Nintendo make? i don't think they've changed in that sense. but i also dont think the humour you refer to is actually funny

don't use homophobic slurs if you're not a gay man what the fuck is wrong with you

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I. . .don't miss console wars, honestly. It just gave immature people online even more fuel to get into petty arguments, and I don't even want to KNOW what corporations dunking on each other would inspire people to do in this day and age. Probably has an impact that I just really hate watching people get into huge disagreements just in general. It's not entertainment for me, it's just a big cloud of awkwardness. Really, there's a ton of things about the 90's and early 00's that I'm glad were left there, even if there's a couple of others I wish weren't.

But hey, personally I feel like Kid Icarus: Uprising had a pretty darn entertaining amount of sarcasm with as much slapstick peppered in as could be managed for a game where cutscenes never lasted for more than a few seconds. Now if only we could GET A SEQUEL IN LESS THAN 25 YEARS, that would be great.

Splatoon's also kind of sassy, if less so.

May 25, 2019
London
I don't disagree OP, games are bigger money these days and things are played much safer by the heavy hitters.

That said, this wasn't all that long ago.

It's been 7 years and this video is still brilliant

Not just because of the used game/always-on differences between the two, but because Microsoft couldn't even explain how it would work in June 2013. They were months out from launch and the details weren't finalized. Journalists were getting different answers depending on who they interviewed. The "Step 1" title card is a dig at this.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The audience is more mature (not in a grrrrr mature! way, but actually, literally, grown-up). They have kids and lives and cheeky shtick isn't as effective or interesting.

We already have a nonstop barrage of cheeky insurance ads. I'm okay with treating games as art and not as toys.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
don't use homophobic slurs if you're not a gay man what the fuck is wrong with you
I'm pretty sure 4chan is what's wrong with them. Flagrant homophobia like that is pretty much hard-baked into their culture, to the point where honestly I'm not even sure if the guy saw life coming at him fast when that popped outta his mouth. They slap that particular slur onto the end of everything because (ironically considering the other contents of their post) lel edgy funnie. Doesn't even remotely excuse it in the slightest, but it does narrow down where he's been hanging out to where he thought that behavior was OK.

But anyway, that's getting off topic. Back on topic, crude humor is another one of those things that I'm honestly glad was left behind. I grew up when it was still a hot commodity and I never did like it. It's just kind of nasty. There's plenty of ways to not be full-on sterile without resorting to bodily functions and perving on women as the punchline of your jokes. If advertising feels stiff right now, the problem isn't that it's not gross, the problem is that advertisers don't know how to write ads and arrange presentations in a way that passes for human.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
If it's just irreverence in general you miss, you should probably hit up the indie space, where there's no shortage

Personally, I appreciate it when giant corporations aren't trying to be all scrappy. It might've worked for Sega, but they were trying to carve out a niche during the most XTREME© period in cultural history. Granted, now Sony has pretensions of artistic grandeur instead of Cool Guy Smugness, but I figure as long as they occasionally bring out something like Journey or Tetris Effect I can hold my tongue when they try to sell how emotionally affecting their sad dad games are

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The stupid insult commercials made me dislike the companies that put them out. As a little kid who had both Nintendo and Sega stuff, it felt like Sega was attacking me for liking Nintendo too.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I too miss the commercials that promoted toxicity towards a company for having a product that could be inferior.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
the return

vfWC06w.png

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As much as I liked Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair, it really isn't the same getting these games from just indie devs. The effects of the lower budget can really be felt and most of them are usually 2D pixel art or 2D Metroidvanias. It isn't the same thing as having multiple trilogies of AAA 3D platformers on one console.

I wasn't necessarily being specific, more just mentioning that overall irreverence still exists in games. Maybe people miss that from big-budget tentpole releases, but it's all down to what kind of budget you accept.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think what a lot of marketing figures out eventually is that constantly bringing up the competition makes people actually go and look up the competition.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Poking fun at competitors is great and fun when it's a small company or underdog doing scrappy shit. It's pretty lame seeing it from a multi billion corp though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The gaming industry is getting further and further away from its raw, awkward beginnings and is becoming more deeply rooted as a mature (economically) market, to the point where players like Apple and Amazon are trying to carve out their pieces of the pie. The competition is as fierce as ever, but there's more of a respect for one another. It makes little sense to resort to schoolyard antics as the ecosystems become more blended with huge crossplay games like Warzone, Rocket League, and Fortnite. Don't get me wrong, the antics still exist in smaller doses, but they come across as being petty and lame in 2020.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid/teen I thought those ads were embarrassing. And not in a "oh you!" kind of way. Just embarassing. No nostalgia for it.
Videogames aren't just kid toys anymore, especially consoles. That's where mobile games come in.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I couldn't care less about edgy marketing. Sony found their footing with cinematic level marketing, and modern Nintendo has a MUUUUCH more fitting quirky personality for their games

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer weird funny ads but I'm ok with a little light hearted jab against competitors. It's only annoying when that's the only type of ad people do. More commercials like this please
https://youtu.be/5jVV1hvg5a0

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I don't disagree OP, games are bigger money these days and things are played much safer by the heavy hitters.

That said, this wasn't all that long ago.

This is classic lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Poking fun at other manufacturers in this era would be taken as tantamount to endorsement for shitty behaviour by fans. (Who can be pains in the arse at the best of times as it is.) So yeah, I'm happy with how things are marketed today; boring but peaceful is fine by me.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
"Man you know what I miss? Companies pretending to be my friend by making WaCkY commercials design to take my hard earned money"

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
To be honest, I'm really glad I wasn't around (or alive) during those times, everytime I see "SEGA does what Nintendon't" I want to audibly groan.

Thank god I missed all of that bullcrap.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i MUUUUCH rather the professional marketing both companies do these days. i wouldn't want them to go back to that cringey style of advertising at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Butler in an ad doing a "wimpy" motion to mock the Wii Sports boxing is not what starts flame wars people. If anything, these corporate ads taking a second to poke fun at each other was a chance for people to relax their console warring and laugh at the whole thing.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
commercials like that would be pretty cringe newfags
nowadays
what crude humored games did Nintendo make? i don't think they've changed in that sense. but i also dont think the humour you refer to is actually funny

Ah damn that's a crazy miss post. I don't believe they intended to write that. Must be a mobile user.

I loved the Kevin Butler ads, the PSP kid was terrible though.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think you just miss the 90s. Our entire culture feels sanitized these days from any point you look at it (just look at how logos are these days), can't really blame Sony and Nintendo for it.

I do miss the 90s too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Your Face advertisement was just a part of 90s 'tude, where staking yourself on one console (because you were a toddler and your parents only bought you either a SNES or Genesis) was a thing that actually happened.

But yeah don't put too much stock in how corporations sell you products.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what year is this. Leave that shit where it belongs lost in time.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
honestly I'd much prefer sterile and corporate to a corporation trying to be edgy and/or cool

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
GTAV sold 130 million copies. It's filled with edgy humour for people that cry about political correctness gone mad.

The humour is shit though.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They came to the realization that throwing shade at your competitors makes you look childish and petty. It's better now.

This. The companies actually play nice and cooperate now and we benefit from it imo.

Also I feel like this wholly doesn't apply to Nintendo, at all? They've really gotten their edge back with the Switch... Splatoon, Odyssey, BOTW??

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Who doesn't miss overinflated attempts at attitude as directed by marketing firms as a way to appeal to "the youths"? Even that Crash ad, nothing like instilling a sense of corporate tribalistic loyalty at a young age!

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
I think you just miss the 90s. Our entire culture feels sanitized these days from any point you look at it (just look at how logos are these days), can't really blame Sony and Nintendo for it.

I do miss the 90s too.
Maybe.

It's funny, for years I never thought the 90s had their own feel or "look". But as we move away from them, media and fashion do have their own style I miss.

They're bringing Animaniacs back and I feel confident stating it will feel like a pale shadow of what it was.

It's not all good obviously, but it had its own flavor.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Those kinds of ads are the reason we have so many manchildren running around and shitting up the hobby.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they grew up. They aren't marketing to children and edgy gamers anymore.

Kcarstel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss when I was able to open a magazine and see that John Romero was gonna me ale me his bitch. Game ads are just too sanitized these days :/

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't even post the good stuff.

Back then before the internet was big and we didn't have all of this social media, you could do the fun little jabs.

These days? Hell no. There's already way too much toxicity and attacking each other.