Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Grey aliens. They are iconic, clearly identifiable, and terrifying without relying on dangerous physical characteristics (lots of teeth, spikes etc).

In particular the cover of Communion frightened me so much as a child I couldn't even look at it. By this age I was already watching Alien, The Thing, The Fly (okay that one fucked me up pretty good) but the deep fear conjured up by this face was on a whole other level.

images

That scene in Communion destroyed me for a long time. You know the one.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Grey aliens. They are iconic, clearly identifiable, and terrifying without relying on dangerous physical characteristics (lots of teeth, spikes etc).

In particular the cover of Communion frightened me so much as a child I couldn't even look at it. By this age I was already watching Alien, The Thing, The Fly (okay that one fucked me up pretty good) but the deep fear conjured up by this face was on a whole other level.

images

Great choice IMO. I love the xenomorph but something about this just brings out a primal fear.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The Xenomorph is definitely my favorite creature design of all time. Absolutely terrifying and badass.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenomorph is definitely the GOAT but there a lot of awesome suggestions in this thread.

Not entirely applicable (you don't actually see the aliens), but I the hybrid owl/grey alien imagery from the forth kind always stuck with me for its creepiness.

tumblr_miuhsqCELE1s58bdxo1_400.gifv

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nothing will ever top the original Alien design, but I do however think the Alien Newborn from Alien Resurrection is sadly overlooked because of the dumb film it's in. As I recall, it is all completely practical animatronics in the movie with zero CGI for this monster and it looks so damn creepy and unsettling and yet they can somehow have it convey different emotions with that grotesque face, like when it tries to lure people in with its sad crying face just so it can kill them. It's the little reflection in its dark eyes that does it. Still holds up perfectly because it is so well done.

neca-alien-resurrection-newborn-figure-27x78566fv.png

ep13-a4-newborn.png

zxm9xnb6qh941.jpg

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Xenomorph is definitely the GOAT but there a lot of awesome suggestions in this thread.

Not entirely applicable (you don't actually see the aliens), but I the hybrid owl/grey alien imagery from the forth kind always stuck with me for its creepiness.

tumblr_miuhsqCELE1s58bdxo1_400.gifv

This movie was the strangest mix of "Absolute worst acting I've ever seen in a Hollywood film" during the actual film bits and "Some convincing and pretty spooky moments" during the found footage/documentary bits.

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was the strangest mix of "Absolute worst acting I've ever seen in a Hollywood film" during the actual film bits and "Some convincing and pretty spooky moments" during the found footage/documentary bits.
I know what you mean 100%. I don't know if I'd even say I enjoyed it, but its imagery and atmosphere from key points definitely stuck with me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nothing will ever top the original Alien design, but I do however think the Alien Newborn from Alien Resurrection is sadly overlooked because of the dumb film it's in. As I recall, it is all completely practical animatronics in the movie with zero CGI for this monster and it looks so damn creepy and unsettling and yet they can somehow have it convey different emotions with that grotesque face, like when it tries to lure people in with its sad crying face just so it can kill them. It's the little reflection in its dark eyes that does it. Still holds up perfectly because it is so well done.

ep13-a4-newborn.png

zxm9xnb6qh941.jpg
Grotesque, to be sure, but not nearly as terrifying as the original design.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like D&D but I think the beholder is the coolest monster design. It just feels silly, original, funny and scary at the same time. Super iconic.

Oct 27, 2017
If this is the movie I'm thinking of, there's a scene where you see the silhouette of grey rise up from behind a bed that scared the shit out of me.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really should not be browsing this thread while eating. Ugh.

Also, Those We Do Not Speak of, from The Village:
f8WqayC.png

Even though they're just suits. God I love this movie, one of the best soundtracks too.
I really love this movie too. It's such a shame how shyamalan tried his best to ruin his movies with those horrendous endings after sixtth sense. Signs is one of my alltime favorite movies but I just kinda have to turn by brain off at the end.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

ep13-a4-newborn.png

zxm9xnb6qh941.jpg
Resurrection is such a strange film, in that it's core premise and story is good and it has some amazing cinematography but what let's it down is that it doesn't know if it wants to be serious or to cheesy fun.

If the film was made to be tonally serious it could have been a great film but instead it just feels weird and off-putting.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Resurrection is such a strange film, in that it's core premise and story is good and it has some amazing cinematography but what let's it down is that it doesn't know if it wants to be serious or to cheesy fun.

If the film was made to be tonally serious it could have been a great film but instead it just feels weird and off-putting.

There's some genuinely good scenes in it, like the clone room scene. But yeah, tonally all over the place with characters that are a bit too cartoony at times.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Surprised that The Evil Within isn't being shown love ITT
1447866_1420839819275_full.jpg

Reborn Laura

also I liked the monster from Cloverfield
MediumBoldChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly one of the most disgusting, disturbing transformations I can think of. Just every step is super painful and he keeps on struggling, like the way he pukes up the tentacles... ugh, nasty

You reminded me of the Oods from doctor who.

doctorwho_monsters_s04_ood.jpg

They're a creepy looking but actually friendly race of telepathic aliens. However, they can sometimes be vengeful.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I just went to the H.R. Giger museum and holy crap could that dude paint some horrifying stuff.
Too bad all the alien/xenomorph merch is so damn expensive. At least I could drink at the Giger Bar :)
imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it's the best but I have a soft spot for the Behemoth in it's various incarnations from Final Fantasy.

kisspng-monster-hunter-world-final-fantasy-xiv-video-game-5c831fea274a64.8043625615520972581609.jpg

That thing just screams "I fuck you up if you get in my way" and in most games it has the strength to back it up.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with OP.

For one's not mentioned in the OP that always stuck out to me as cool...

Zuul, from ghostbusters, terrified me as a kid:

en8Ldam.png

DM3yOOZ.png

GKQDTCM.png

I like how they present it and it seems kinda like, intelligent. And also it's weird for trapping Dana in the chair. It's just your typical hell hound, but I like it.

Even as an adult, though, I was confused about the difference between Zuul and Ghozer........ And routinely confuse whose who. ALso like, Dana becomes Zuul ... but there's two Zuuls........ and they're both dogs..... And like Zuul talks in the fridge, and talks through Dana but... doesn't talk as a dog...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I just went to the H.R. Giger museum and holy crap could that dude paint some horrifying stuff.
Too bad all the alien/xenomorph merch is so damn expensive. At least I could drink at the Giger Bar :)
imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Yeah, I have a few of Giger's art books, and they're definitely something else. I'd love to visit the museum and the bar some day.