• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Play or Skip?

• Worth playing

Votes: 799 67.7%
  • Skip

Votes: 382 32.3%

• Total voters

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
With 4 it has the best DmC story and art style imo. I love the soundtrack as well. It's a fantastic game if you ignore it's trying to be Devil May Cry. The remaster is also pretty great so definitely worth playing.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
if you play DmC DE the gameplay is pretty tight

cutscenes are full of disgusting stuff like violence against pregnant women tho so id advice skipping if youre sensitive to that stuff

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
gameplays fine but it's still the weakest in the series. Guess it's better than 2 but that's not hard to achieve

visuals and set pieces are pretty good

lacks bosses and there's only one I would consider good but not from a fight stand point more of a conceptual and visual stand point

you'd get more enjoyment replaying the swimming level in dmc 1 than trying to enjoy any of the characters or the story in this game but if you're 14 and love edgey characters you'll probably love it

Oct 28, 2017
Haters can jog on. It's great. I appreciate the over the top trashy tone of it (no more obnoxious than the standard series anime vibe IMO) . And the level aesthetics are mad creative (the cable news thing *mwah*).

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The gameplay is alright but the whole thing is a cringefest. Fedora vergil in a highschool weeb trenchcoat with dragons on it and a V for vendetta type mask leading a fictionalized "Anonymous" group to fight back against evil corporations using soda pop to control people in a way that is basically the Slurm episode of futurama. And Mundus is like, Kingpin or something and he has a demon wife who dresses like a hooker and calls herself his bitch, and vergil shoots her unborn child with a sniper rifle. The whole thing is an edgelord nightmare. The combat can be pretty fun and it's worth a play through, but most of the level design people gush over is also just linear ziplining with the triggers. It's like a 6/10 game and if you like character action games it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Skip. The fact that Capcom chose to make DMC5 instead of a DmC sequel should tell you all you need to know about its reception.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a solid, very flashy at times, character action game. I always felt the hate for Donte was a bit ott and coloured by the initial *horrendous* reveal - no doubt they're very different characters though and I get disliking Donte for that. I enjoyed it, though I don't know how much I'd enjoy the story today and it's just not on the level of the main DMC games - I'm really glad we got a DMCV.

A pregnant demon carrying a demon child that will help bring the apocalypse. It's definitely OTT edgey but the way people love to spout off the moment with zero context always makes me roll my eyes.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's a fun game , I consider it worth playing , its gets too much hate , is it the best DMC game, of course not , it is horrible trash? nope, it is legit enjoyable game.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's the best game in the series IMO.

Ninja Gaiden Black
Bayonetta 1/2
DmC
The other DMC games
God of War

is how I'd rank the most recent action series if you want some context

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's good. Great overall art direction, IMO, with some unfortunately awful character designs. Gameplay-wise, it's a lot of fun and a solid entry in the series. The Definitive Edition also comes with Vergil DLC that gives him his own short campaign and added to his basic moveset (which made its way to DMC4SE) so that's pretty sweet. Even though this version of Vergil is an ugly dickbag.

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favourite Devil May Cry game but I may be in the minority for that. I prefer it's mix of level design and gameplay loop - especially the Definitive edition. But I m not as die hard for this series as some and just enjoy them - play them through once and usually don't return (bar for special edition or DE sometimes). It was much maligned on release but I think that was more a knee jerk reaction at a new direction (that wasn't asked for by older fans) than anything else. To also add to this comment - I also don't much care for the story or those elements in the Devil may cry universe and do not feel a particularly strong connection to the characters so there is that as well that may have made me like DmC more.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Second favorite in the series after DMC3

Edit: They took the fedora out of the definitive edition? The fuck lmao

Nov 1, 2017
People who like it aggressively try to oversell how good it is to counter how it got relentlessly dumped on ever since its reveal by a significant portion of the fanbase

Many of us expected and wanted what DMC5 would be, so we got something that I don't think anyone really asked for though a lot of fans liked it anyway for what it was.

I admit I'm biased, I can't stand Ninja Theory's entire aesthetic direction of the series from the character redesigns (they gave Virgil a fedora, and then patched it out LOL), to the ugly monster designs, to the unintentionally bad dialog and juvenile corporations = demons plot. It just all seemed really tone deaf to why people liked Devil May Cry in the first place.

That combined with the fact that the gameplay felt like a regression from Devil May Cry 3/4 and other similar action games like Bayonetta despite being the newest installment, its really disappointing that I can't even say at least the gameplay is really good because it isn't.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It's fine! The combat is solid, the art direction is fantastic, the story/writing is the absolute worst edgelord dogshit but it's not like you're playing a character action game for the plot. If you can get DE for cheap there are worse ways to spend a weekend.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that, and I swear this is not a condemnation of the game or its fanbase, part of what drives DmC's positive reception is that it is a very accessible game. It lets you do really cool looking shit but with a much lower skill ceiling.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
nothing to add to what everyone else has said (I liked it, I get why some people didn't). Capcom should've called it Satan Might Cry, that would've chilled at least 40% of the complaints.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still laugh at the fact that people praised vanilla DmC for being amazing and then the DE edition ended up having a patch notes list of 23 pages.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I didn't mind it. I feel people were unfairly harsh on it because of, well, everything about it.
I honestly preferred the style and aesthetics of it than the main games. I love DMC 5 but it just feels so corny compared to DMC.

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX
It's good. Great overall art direction, IMO, with some unfortunately awful character designs. Gameplay-wise, it's a lot of fun and a solid entry in the series. The Definitive Edition also comes with Vergil DLC that gives him his own short campaign and added to his basic moveset (which made its way to DMC4SE) so that's pretty sweet. Even though this version of Vergil is an ugly dickbag.

Agreed with everything said. Give us DE on PC, you cowards.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Fans of anime Dante couldn't get past the redesign. Personally I think it's the best in the franchise. Interesting levels and the way the demons desperation grows as you progress is great. I played DMC5 a couple months back because fans praised it as a return to form but it's a step down all around.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't mind it. I feel people were unfairly harsh on it because of, well, everything about it.
I honestly preferred the style and aesthetics of it than the main games. I love DMC 5 but it just feels so corny compared to DMC.
They're both super corny tbh. DMCV is corny like how most anime is corny, and DmC is corny like how Nu Metal is corny.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I remember it being pretty okay? It certainly wasn't as good as the other DMC games, or stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta etc. But as far as action games go, there was fun to be had.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
OK action game, insultingly bad DMC game. DmC replaces the series' signature anime-inflected stylization and cheese with vulgar tryhard nonsense.

On the one hand we have a radical dude riding a rocket while shouting "woo-hoo!" On the other, we have a pregnant demon in a hostage exchange situation taking a sniper rifle bullet to the womb. I wish I was making a tasteless joke right now, but that's in the game.

While the Definitive Edition addresses a lot of the gameplay issues the original release of DmC had, it still lacks the essence of the DMC series -- that combination of character presentation and the deep polished combat that defines DMC 3, 4, and 5. (DMC1 is kind of its own thing, and DMC2 is straight trash.)

Minor bonus points to Ninja Theory for making DmC Dante so hot, but oof, that personality...

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Was anybody else thrown off immediately by the changing of the pronunciation of Mundus in this game? Moon-duhss makes sense because you can infer latin roots there. But then in DmC they call him Bob Muhn-diss, and maybe it was intentional but it always came off to me like nobody involved ever even watched the intro to DMC1 and just didn't know how to properly pronounce it lol.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I just didnt like how they dumbed down the combat system so much in order to appeal to people that dont like DMC, if the combat was as good as OG DMC i wouldn't care about the style or world change

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's edgy as all hell and the main dude behind it seemed like a bit of a twat, at least at the time, but it's a fun game. I'd replay it over 4 and 5 (I really don't enjoy playing as V) (and 2, but that's obvious)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still stunned by that sniper rifle abortion scene all these years later. What were they thinking?