• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty good read, but suggesting he'd be willing to give RDR2 another shot would suggest he's now okay with those animations, which would mean he enjoys some element of Death Stranding? Which goes against every other utterance he's given about it. Like I said, can't wait for all this to unravel one way or another
The way I understood it is that he thought Death Stranding was so bad it made RDR2 good.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the bigger games of the year with an embargo, and unlike an Uncharted, Gears or Mario or whatever there's probably actually stuff to spoil/talk about that makes for good podcast discussion.

That's a pretty good read, but suggesting he'd be willing to give RDR2 another shot would suggest he's now okay with those animations, which would mean he enjoys some element of Death Stranding? Which goes against every other utterance he's given about it. Like I said, can't wait for all this to unravel one way or another

I thought the rest of the podcast made it pretty obvious he meant that Death Stranding made RDR2 look good, i.e. he liked it even less than RDR2. I'm guessing it's even more slow paced/lowkey than RDR2.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This is going to be the most divisive game since Red dead 2. Its going to be the absolute worst for some and the absolute best for others.
But I think this shouldn't be used to describe games like RDR2. It's not divisive. It's Metacritic score is super high, it's sold like 30 million units.

That's not divisive, Days Gone is divisive and I only say that because of reportedly strong sales, not because forum folk seemed to dig the game and disagree with critical reception.

May 24, 2019
Maybe it's made him appreciate a deliberately paced walking around game and that's why he should now give RDR2 another chance.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The way I understood it is that he thought Death Stranding was so bad it made RDR2 good.

From what I've seen though, the game doesn't have this crazy animation priority type thing. At least not when it comes to doing mundane things like picking stuff up. What I've seen in videos is comically fast for how realistic the game is. More in line with something like MGSV.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why does era have this narrative with this game? I'm genuinely curious why people think this will be divisive.
Because allthough the MGS games were always well reviewed, there are lots of people that didn't like them because of all of the talking and cutscenes, I think people are desensitized to that now / are young enough to know no difference, as many games are incredibly cutscene heavy.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
He can't write women, and I have no idea who, if anyone, is even editing him on this project to try to keep his worst impulses in that respect in check.

He's definitely got some stinkers in the mix, but it's not like reviewers have ever really let that hurt their scores.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen though, the game doesn't have this crazy animation priority type thing. At least not when it comes to doing mundane things like picking stuff up. What I've seen in videos is comically fast for how realistic the game is. More in line with something like MGSV.

Yeah, but even with faster animation I could see it still being being mostly a lowkey 'walking sim' with survival elements with a weird cutscene Dan doesn't understand every few hours.

But I think this shouldn't be used to describe games like RDR2. It's not divisive. It's Metacritic score is super high, it's sold like 30 million units.

That's not divisive, Days Gone is divisive and I only say that because of reportedly strong sales, not because forum folk seemed to dig the game and disagree with critical reception.

I'm not sure Days Gone is that divisive either as I felt people largely agree it was like just sort of OK.

Honestly I'm kind of hard pressed to think of many very divisive games as most bigger games tend to play it safe.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
To give RDR 2 another go because he played a game more disappointing makes way less sense to me than going back to it because he found a new appreciation of that game style he might be able to bring to it. Some new lens to view it through that he wasn't using before.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
He can't write women, and I have no idea who, if anyone, is even editing him on this project to try to keep his worst impulses in that respect in check.
That's your reason for why it'll be reviewed divisively? As sad as this sounds honestly only a very small fraction of reviewers would take issue with elements like that to the degree where they score it divisively. Gameplay will be the main issue if divisiveness exists.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The great gameplay blowout that Kojima decided to show the world was literally a fetch quest.

That lasted 40 minutes. Edited down.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but even with faster animation I could see it still being being mostly a lowkey 'walking sim' with survival elements with a weird cutscene Dan doesn't understand every few hours.

Yeah, just so everyone is aware, Dan doesn't engage with the stealth in MGS games. He plays Snake like an action hero. This was probably never going to be his type of game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's obnoxious, I think review copies went out too early and people can't hold it. Then next week we'll be chewing on impressions for week.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I've been totally neutral on my expectations for this game.
I'm not excited for it, nor do I not want it to come out. I'll probably play it but not anytime soon. Or maybe I will. It's just a big question mark to me.

Oct 25, 2017
To give RDR 2 another go because he played a game more disappointing makes way less sense to me than going back to it because he found a new appreciation of that game style he might be able to bring to it. Some new lens to view it through that he wasn't using before.
Nah, there was much more in that podcast. Like him having a lot of free time and life being too short to play bad games or whatever. It was quite obvious.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like from what I've seen and heard so far, DS is going to be the kind of game some will love and others will hate. Which means it'll absolutely cause a whole lot of debate, which is probably why people are so anxious to talk about it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be the most divisive game since Red dead 2. Its going to be the absolute worst for some and the absolute best for others.
But RDR2 isn't that divisive other than many people like myself saying it isn't a masterpiece but just merely a very good game with some control issues. Arguing that RDR2 is more of a 8.5 instead of 9.5 isn't going to be like Death Stranding where I think it will be 9.5 vs 5-6.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Yeah, just so everyone is aware, Dan doesn't engage with the stealth in MGS games. He plays Snake like an action hero. This was probably never going to be his type of game.
Its definitely not made for action since in every interview with people involved they say that the best thing about the game is that its not about killing. The aggressive approach seems to be very discouraged but seems to have been implemented reluctantly because its a AAA game.
Arguing that RDR2 is more of a 8.5 instead of 9.5 isn't going to be like Death Stranding where I think it will be 9.5 vs 5-6.
This is not a 5-6 game, I can tell you that just by the gameplay shown. No way this game will have performance issues or bugs and thats enough for it not to get lower then 7 and Days gone got that despite those issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does era have this narrative with this game? I'm genuinely curious why people think this will be divisive.

The elephant in the room is it looks like a game where you mostly just walk around a lot and deliver packages, with a level of simulation that seems a bit odd. It's the No Man Sky effect of people wondering what you actually do in the game, are shown it, can't believe that's it, and are now coming to terms that's it's a game where you probably mostly walk around and deliver packages.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Why would he go back and play it if not because he thinks he might have something new to appreciate about it? I assume it's not just to cement it's ranking on a 'games I don't like' list next to Death Stranding.
Because it is a jab at how bad he thinks Death Stranding is. In no way is Dan going back to play more RDR2.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He's definitely got some stinkers in the mix, but it's not like reviewers have ever really let that hurt their scores.
That's your reason for why it'll be reviewed divisively? As sad as this sounds honestly only a very small fraction of reviewers would take issue with elements like that to the degree where they score it divisively. Gameplay will be the main issue if divisiveness exists.

Just for the record, when I complain about review scores being meaningless garbage, this is actually a key component as to why

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what? There were other games, many games over several year where you weren't allowed to talk about until... well... the embargo dropped
Those who have been calling it an extremely tight NDA, which I've never heard about games in recent memory. The fact that reviewers aren't allowed to talk about the game past Chapter 3. I'm interested to know which other games were like this?

Because it is, based on what everyone can see, a very "different" game, the first non-MGS game Kojima created in a long time and cleraly something that will be be decisive. If I had played it, I would also wanna talk about it
It's not clearly something that will be divisive - that is just a conclusion some people drew based on a couple of people who talked about the game being a slow burn and that it might not be for everyone's tastes (which is something you can say about most games). Some statements are signs and others aren't. No conclusions can really be drawn at this stage, based on vague passing comments in podcasts and this thread is based on those kind of comments.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
SkillUp really likes this game, GiantBomb hates the game, Kat doesn't seem to like the game much based on the podcast quote above (assuming it's accurate), Parish is openly hostile to the game based on its trailers but he won't be reviewing it. So some division there.

Giant bomb does not hate the game. One person on the GB crew has expressed strong negativity towards it. There are more people who work there.

Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely not made for action since in every interview with people involved they say that the best thing about the game is that its not about killing. The aggressive approach seems to be very discouraged but seems to have been implemented reluctantly because its a AAA game.

Yeah, Kojima kept saying that he wanted this game to be about ropes (bringing people together) instead of sticks (fighting people/pushing them away)

His pitch about this is why Lindsay Wagner signed up, because the game isn't about shooting people

Also "gameplay spoiler from spoiler thread"

You apparently don't get a gun until you are 9hrs into the game

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are very good at inferring fact from people saying they can't talk about it.
Dan has been incredibly unsubtle in his opinion of DS.

If it was WWE 2k20 under embargo, it would be like him saying, "I'm playing this game right now but I can't talk about it. By the way, that series has been bad for a while, hasn't it? They're always buggy and the graphics never seem to get better. You think they'd learn at this point. Oh well!"

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I mean, even if you think the game is a boring piece of shit, you're gonna have a lot to say.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dan in the latest Beastcast was shitting on it again.

They were joking there should be a bowling game where you travel across the world and Dans like "that sounds really boring"

excuse me for butchering it a bit, tired from work.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he gave us a top 5 gaming woman with The Boss though.

Lots of women in Kojima's games are really strong and have plenty of badass moments. The sexualization actually stands in stark contrast to that.