• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Horizon was probably an outlier when it comes to discounts and even then it did amazingly considering it was a brand new IP. Look at God of War, sold over 5 million in the first month and that was far higher than BotW sales in its first month. They sold it at full price too and it's still charting in most places worldwide.

Indeed, Apple gets a ton of shit. There's a reason why Android is massively popular but at the same time it sells due to marketing. That said, new Android phones are now on similar price points to Apple phones.

Nintendo doesn't have that luxury anymore by hiking thier prices high (£70 for a joy con set? That's ridiculous) due to increased competition and consumer awareness. Consumers are far more price conscious now.
Comparing God of War to Botw sales in the first month? Yeah that's fair /s

But to your other point yes God of War is continuing to sell. And how much does it cost today? $60. Why? BECAUSE IT'S CONTINUING TO SELL! See how simple that is.

Botw is still selling amazingly well a year and a half after launch. Why would Nintendo lower the price?

And you should note some people are price conscious. Not all. That's why luxury items exist.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I swear Nintendo is the only company that can have their fans thank them for charging higher prices. Is it devaluaing the games when Nintendo eventually makes the budget Nintendo select line

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
In the current era of drastic discounts/buffet services/free to play + exploitative micro transactions, I'm kinda glad we still have Nintendo giving a shit about the value of games.

Not everyone has that luxury, I sure don't, but I'd love to see that become more and not less common.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I have never payed full price for a Nintendo console or games since the Super Famicom. Nintendo is a rip-off company. I usually always buy on sale physical games. Or codes for digital games off people. Since the Wii I've always bought 2nd hand or on sale games only. This will continue as long as Nintendo continue to charge this much. If you shop around you can save a fortune not buying from Nintendo or digital

Einreich

Oct 28, 2017
That is why I went to Playstation.

Expensive hardware at first (kinda), but then games are way cheaper.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
In Europe the price of a game can vary depending on where you are buying it (45€-60€).

I know that a lot of people complained about DK but the price actually went up soon after release because the demand was too strong.

Nintendo can keep the price of their games up because the market judges that it is their value.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, IF sales drop off significantly. If it continues to sell as well as it is Sony will not lower the price. Same tactic at work with Nintendo
It will continue to sell and Sony will drop the price in a sale. Sony cares about selling it's consoles (just like Nintendo) and they use exclusives to sell PS4s. You will see in a couple of months.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Axiom Verge is $14.99 on Switch eShop. Is there a reason you ignored the eShop version and compared it to the PSN one?

Wait. You're comparing the price of axiom verge digitally to a physical version on switch? Huh

I just quickly googled the walmart prices, only saw the physical version.

Axiom Verge doesn't have a physical release on PS4 AFAIK.

but damn, is that really the only thing that stuck out to you from that post?

I could just take another blockbuster title and the total would still be like $30 less than buying 2 launch Switch games.

Again blame consumers who stopped buying horizon. There's a reason it's less than $20. People stopped buying it. People keep buying Botw at a crazy rate Blame consumers

lol

EDIT:

LOL sorry, Axiom Verge does have a physical release on PS4.

It's $10 less than the Switch copy.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just quickly googled the walmart prices, only saw the physical version.

Axiom Verge doesn't have a physical release on PS4 AFAIK.

but damn, is that really the only thing that stuck out to you from that post?

I could just take another blockbuster title and the total would still be like $30 less than buying 2 launch Switch games.

lol

EDIT:

LOL sorry, Axiom Verge does have a physical release on PS4.

It's $10 less than the Switch copy.
You were being disingenuous and were rightly called out for it.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not?

I mean you are buying it Day One but you could also wait and get it cheaper. You have a choice to do what works for you.
I understand that but what happens when majority waiti the six months for the discount do to a precedent set by Sony.

I guess in the end that's sony's problem. But it still feels like a huge burn for early adopters.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Seeing people cheer that their favorite company doesn't discount games is pretty... weird.

Lots of stockholders on here I guess
More like Stockholmers , amirite?

The pricing definitely reduces my overall investment in the platform. I've spent $300 on PS software so far this year, but only $90 on Switch software. What really bugs me most is paying $20 for digital games. I'd gladly pay $69 for digital Octopath, but refuse to pay $90 for digital when JB or Target will sell me physical for $69.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or

OR

ORRR

you could just buy a new game from Walmart
4fe9a8af-3ef8-46de-8b30-c9cf799a947c_1.55030be9cdd1b1a359c772a6d306632b.jpeg

$17.78

and then buy another game
fc9883ab-b623-42e2-a6f0-424f5807a20b_1.7a050e7e945bdafb914bc769b3e44157.jpeg

$19.93
and then buy yet another game

a109257c-ac10-41c3-86d4-31a04bd0e4d2_1.586ec2916379f0886e292330650eadca.jpeg

$22.80

and then maybe one more

50% off on PSN right now

$9.99

Total: $70.50

Four full-length, great games.

Or you could buy this:

0d359dfa-4d43-47e5-a4ee-8c3784c00c75_1.b331dfe10e75a4b5bfe1e87fe30efed5.jpeg

$54.99

And then this

9774b4aa-fb52-40ff-9bc4-be517c2ee88a_1.2714e04bc9aa8ef3b9e2a20cf908354e.jpeg

$52.94

Total: $107.93

WOW WHAT A FUCKING STEAL

Wait, maybe i want to play Axiom Verge on the go

6039700_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

$39.99

Or i could just not

and get it on literally any other platform

because why the fuck would i spend 4x as much to play this on Switch

Axiom Verge is $40 on Switch?! That is pretty awful considering the PSN price. I seriously don't understand thier bad digital pricing on the e-shop too.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
100% yes.

Supply is infinite in this case, especially when you consider the existence of digital games. Demand is the portion of the equation that matters for game sales. Demand for the titles at a certain price point is finite. Dropping the price engages an audience who is interested but not interested enough at the initial price.

I mean, they could do deep discount sales on their online store, but I don't think retailers would be happy competing with Nintendo on those prices. They may purchase fewer Nintendo games if they think that Nintendo will just undercut them in a month or so after the game is out and before the retailer can clear their stock.

I think there should be more flexible pricing for games in general. Everything starting out at one price then dropping to a fraction of that is silly, when they could have just priced it at a more appropriate price to start.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that but what happens when majority waiti the six months for the discount do to a precedent set by Sony.

I guess in the end that's sony's problem. But it still feels like a huge burn up early adopters.
It is Sony's problem if that happens but the fact is you are the one who burned yourself if a game got cheaper because you could have waited for the highly likely lower price in a few months.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You were being disingenuous and were rightly called out for it.

it's only disingenuous if you're in denial

If you remove Axiom Verge from my list, it's now $60 for 3 games vs. $105 for 2 and it's even more ridiculous

It doesn't matter which switch games I use, the blockbuster titles for the platform are all extremely high price and so it literally doesn't even matter.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
eShop gift cards are 10-15% off every month or two (just follow Wario 64 on Twitter).

That, plus waiting for sales, plus eShop coin rewards and it definitely helps keeps the prices more reasonable.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's funny because developers on the Switch don't even discount their games as much as on other platforms.

Bethesda's never discounted Skyrim even though it's been like $20 elsewhere constantly.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So now third party support needs to be on the level of the PS consoles. Nice goal post moving there!

Wouldn't you agree that PS consoles get BEST IN CLASS third party support? So why should a Nintendo console receive BEST IN CLASS third party support in order for us to see these discounts you are assuring us we'd see if only they had better third party support. I just had no idea that when you said better third party support you were comparing it 1:1 with the PS library! Jesus Christ!

How then do you explain why Microsoft games also see significant discounts when their third party support is not as good as Sony's? Refocus your argument, buddy
How about you pay attention to what I've been saying since the start instead of accusing others of moving goal posts? My entire point is their third party support is lacking compared to PlayStation consoles, it seems like you're just throwing shit at the wall and hope for one to stick with your posts.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
what you said right there is the crux of the whole argument

"Nintendo games never depreciate in value unless they are exceptionally bad"

One could extrapolate from that:

Most third party games and games for other systems do depreciate in value quickly, therefore they must all be exceptionally bad.

Alas, that is a false extrapolation. This mainly only applies to Nintendo games, as they sell well constantly all year round. Nintendo is an outlier.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
It's all subjective anyway comparing switch to traditional home consoles.

Games wise for those that are on both platforms, if portability is important, then paying more for a nerfed version is worth it for those fans. As far as exclusives, same deal applies, if the game is worth $60 or whatever to you, then that's a fair price. It's determined by the person in question.

I mean personally I don't have any value at all for portability, and despite really really wanting to like Botw, it bored my face off. At $10 I would have not gotten value out of it. Conversely, I had dozens of hours of great times from HZD and AC:O, so $60 or more with DLC was a good value to me. That varies person to person. Someone who feels the exact opposite of me is not wrong, and neither am I.

It's why I'm happy that switch exists and offers what it does despite my initial misgivings and selling mine off fast (thanks to sky high resale I lost nothing but sales tax, and I could have easily scalped it at the time but refused to do so on principle). For me, a potato powered portable thing (in the context of the competing home options) was the last thing I wanted. I wanted a Nintendo console that could not only bring new ultra high details and framerate to Nintendo IPs, but be a great place for AAA multiplats in a competitive fashion. But thinking more about it, sure it would be good for me personally, but there obviously is a big market that was otherwise going to remain untapped, in offering a new level of portable performance for those fans. Besides, I found out that I really don't care about the Nintendo IPs anymore. I hated Botw, and despite viewing Odyssey as something of a masterpiece, it still didn't feel like something I was driven to go back to after an hour or so. My favorite series was Advance Wars, but that's also been killed off, so there's nothing there for me.

And that isn't a bad thing. I have other platforms that are more than enough for me. It's good Nintendo is doing something else.

Now the accessory prices are borderline insulting, but that's another thing altogether.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How about you pay attention to what I've been saying since the start instead of accusing others of moving goal posts? My entire point is their third party support is lacking compared to PlayStation consoles, it seems like you're just throwing shit at the wall and hope for one to stick with your posts.
You were told that Nintendo has strong third party support on their portables and they still keep prices high on their own games. You responded that it's not comparable to a Sony console.

Let's try this again.

Nintendo portables have had strong third party support. Nintendo maintains the original MSRP on their games, much like with the switch.

So you are wrong in your assessment that if Nintendo had good third party support they would be forced to lower the prices if their own games

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because developers on the Switch don't even discount their games as much as on other platforms.

Bethesda's never discounted Skyrim even though it's been like $20 elsewhere constantly.
Not funny, kind of sucks tbh. I just bought Inside on PS4 even though I wanted it on the Switch. I'm not paying 70% more for the switch version

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
i understand best selling games / famous games on 59.99 but indies are also very expensive on Nintendo Switch.

After PS vita , i was trying to get in Switch mainly because portable indie machine and of course Mario and Zelda .

but not only games , but the accessories are also expensive until i have to rethink again .

Wish there was another portable PlayStation that support latest indies , because PSN do have some crazy sales that will keep me busy until next big game or sales.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
1) Nintendo first party titles rarely drop in price. Anything below $40 is considered a very good deal.

2) great indie games in the $15-$20 range.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You were told that Nintendo has strong third party support on their portables and they still keep prices high on their own games. You responded that it's not comparable to a Sony console.

Let's try this again.

Nintendo portables have had strong third party support. Nintendo maintains the original MSRP on their games, much like with the switch.

So you are wrong in your assessment that if Nintendo had good third party support they would be forced to lower the prices if their own games
And I replied to the portable point a few pages ago, go read it, one more disingenuous post from you and you're getting ignored, you're really not worth wasting time on, I surprised you didn't even get a warn for the way you're behaving.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Not sure how the platform holders expect folks to jump to digital when they overprice their stuff the way they do. Whether it's Zelda at £60, God Of War at £55 or so on, alot of these guys are asking anywhere in the range of £10-20 more than regular pricing elsewhere. The indies being a little more expensive I find hard to be annoyed about, indie games are often priced way cheaper than their value so whatever, but it's the big games that put me off.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
shocking news! popular system with popular games cost money!

welcome to nintendo where shit doesn't depreciate
Alas, that is a false extrapolation. This mainly only applies to Nintendo games, as they sell well constantly all year round. Nintendo is an outlier.

So once again

the entire argument can basically be boiled down to:

"It's good for Nintendo, so i'll gladly open my mouth and take it because it makes perfect sense for Nintendo to win and not me"

Nevermind the rest of the games industry, where the majority of the AAA developers that don't develop for Switch dwell.

where they spend waaaaaaay more money developing their software for high-fidelity hardware, yet still manage to turn huge profits, without feeling the need to keep charging $54.99 for game they released over a year ago

or a port of a game they released shy of a decade ago, or a version of a game that's technically available on last-gen hardware

probably because the space of competition is far more vast, and they realize that they're competing for your time and money. And so dropping the price to ensure people will still pay to play the game while newer games are releasing is pretty smart

But not in Nintendo land where the games are never bad, never age, and don't deserve to become more affordable as they become less relevant and more, newer games [allegedly] flood the system, they're definitely coming don't worry, but in the mean time, here's Zelda and Mario and ARMS and Splatoon to tide you over that'll be about $240 thanks

why are indie games more expensive with us, oh because we're so great for indies they love us alot just look at how much they love us, that'll be an extra $10 to enjoy indies over here because we're so good to them

why is this multiplatform port way more expensive with us, oh that's our Portability Premium, don't you just love being able to play a weaker version of this old ass port on the go, that'll be $10-20 more please

what do you mean that's unreasonable considering the rest of the gaming market

well JEEZ what do you expect, consumers keep giving us money! Blame them, it's their fault! If everyone else had these games SELLING JUST SO WELL OMG then maybe they could keep them at a high price like us!!!!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all subjective anyway comparing switch to traditional home consoles.

Games wise for those that are on both platforms, if portability is important, then paying more for a nerfed version is worth it for those fans. As far as exclusives, same deal applies, if the game is worth $60 or whatever to you, then that's a fair price. It's determined by the person in question.

I mean personally I don't have any value at all for portability, and despite really really wanting to like Botw, it bored my face off. At $10 I would have not gotten value out of it. Conversely, I had dozens of hours of great times from HZD and AC:O, so $60 or more with DLC was a good value to me. That varies person to person. Someone who feels the exact opposite of me is not wrong, and neither am I.

It's why I'm happy that switch exists and offers what it does despite my initial misgivings and selling mine off fast (thanks to sky high resale I lost nothing but sales tax, and I could have easily scalped it at the time but refused to do so on principle). For me, a potato powered portable thing (in the context of the competing home options) was the last thing I wanted. I wanted a Nintendo console that could not only bring new ultra high details and framerate to Nintendo IPs, but be a great place for AAA multiplats in a competitive fashion. But thinking more about it, sure it would be good for me personally, but there obviously is a big market that was otherwise going to remain untapped, in offering a new level of portable performance for those fans. Besides, I found out that I really don't care about the Nintendo IPs anymore. I hated Botw, and despite viewing Odyssey as something of a masterpiece, it still didn't feel like something I was driven to go back to after an hour or so. My favorite series was Advance Wars, but that's also been killed off, so there's nothing there for me.

And that isn't a bad thing. I have other platforms that are more than enough for me. It's good Nintendo is doing something else.

Now the accessory prices are borderline insulting, but that's another thing altogether.
Well said, even if I guess I have opposite tastes. I applaud you sir

(So often people want everything to be catered to them. If I don't like it, it's shit and needs to die it's hugely common as a mindset.)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It really puts me off when I can buy something somewhere else for 1/3 of the price and it's better quality, often even 4K.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Potential consumers demand cheaper things all the time and companies need to listen to survive. But I guess poor Nintendo can't do that and any demand is greedy.
I think they are listening, they are just hearing the sounds of cash and credits being exchanged because people are still willing to buy an enhanced WiiU port at $60 that was released over a year ago(MK8D).

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Conditioning, lol. A lot of people (myself included) consider Nintendo titles far superior to anything other companies will put out. I'd pay 500 dollars for something like Smash Bros, i'll put likely thousands of hours into that game. I put 200 hours into BOTW and didn't even do everything, and it was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. I have over 300 hours in Splatoon 2 and many hours among their other releases. Not everything Nintendo does is gold but when they hit it, they hit it harder than anyone else. Other companies very rarely put out something as compelling as a game experience, and when they do it's considered an astonishing achievement (see RE4, Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo CE). I'm sure plenty would happily pay 60 for a game that would match those experiences for them, something Nintendo does more often than any other company. These games that Sony put out that blow people away today, they largely won't hold up in 5, 10+ years because their concepts will become outdated, but amazing gameplay stays amazing forever, and for those of us who care about that most of all, we're good to go with Nintendo.

Obviously if you disagree then you won't understand, it's just funny that apparently people being wiling to pay for the greater experience to them escapes some people. To me, BOTW at 60 bucks is a steal, but 60 bucks for the typical game, nah.

I understand, but still disagree. And no, nothing escapes me. Good try, though.

Being pro-market in general, I also understand that the market supports these kinds of Nintendo shenanigans.

"Something Nintendo does more often than any other company." To you, sure. I personally don't value Nintendo products more than anything else output by any other company. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree .

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Well at least you don't bother to wait for prices to go down, if you want it you just buy it or never play it

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Apple of Video Games. You have to pay to play unfortunately.

Except Apple actually have competition in terms of pricing now from the likes of Google, Samsung etc. Nintendo on the other hand are an outlier when it comes to comparing thier pricing strategy to the market leader, Sony, and thier other competitor, Microsoft. It shows now more than ever too due to the rise of digital sales.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
$80 games here in Canada sucks, especially since 3DS games were like 50? I guess that's the downside of the Switch being a full console even if I see it as more of a handheld device.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've gone completely digital and it's not impossible to find deals. First, buy several eShop money cards when they go on sale on eBay, buy the most important game or two to start you off, and then wait a long time for things to want to actually go on sale.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I understand, but still disagree. And no, nothing escapes me. Good try, though.

Being pro-market in general, I also understand that the market supports these kinds of Nintendo shenanigans.

"Something Nintendo does more often than any other company." To you, sure. I personally don't value Nintendo products more than anything else output by any other company. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree .

Most of the time the conditioning is so subtle that Nintendo customers/fanboys(delete as appropriate) actually think Nintendo is actually doing them a favour by charging them more and offering little to no discounts over a long period of time

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is the equivalent of HP with printers.

Sell the printer at a low affordable price, gotcha sucker, toner costs more than the printer itself when all is said and done.

Truly the most misguided post in this thread. The Switch is not a loss leader- it has been stated numerous times by Nintendo that it sells at a profit.

In terms of the games, Nintendo's prices are determined by standardised RRPs for video games, not by Nintendo arbitrarily deciding to charge more. They are also in an entirely different position to Microsoft and Sony, as they are only a video game company, and can't subsidise their games business with other arms of the company, or endless cash reserves.

They are also an inherently conservative company, and always have been. In many ways, Nintendo represent a pre-1980s, much more stable form of consumer capitalism. The most important thing to them is the perceived value of their games, and they're very very wary of the culture of deep discounting, which exists simply as a response to the aggressive tactics of huge near-monopolies such as Amazon and Steam. Nintendo have managed to position themselves outside of this culture, which creates much more stability for them (which is so important, as they are a much smaller company than Microsoft and Sony), as well as offering consumers clear pricing rather than the lottery, and associated lack of consumer trust, which accompanies deep discounting.

It is just a fact that the sort of discounts we see on video games simply cannot last. It is a race to the bottom in its purest form, just like Amazon, Uber, Air B&B etc etc. Games are incredibly expensive to make, and this discounting of them is precipitating a shift in the industry, most likely to closed-ecosystem streaming services. All platform holders have a window of perhaps only ten years, or less, to build and strengthen their audiences. We can see this even more clearly through the success of Fortnite, a free game. You'd have to be a fool to think that selling skins and Battle Passes is the long term financial strategy for this industry. It's all about locking in audiences to ecosystems- platforms, games, online purchases, online infrastructure. This will all determine which companies will survive when the switch to streaming services arrives.

It's similar to the way that Uber are building a monopoly based on much cheaper taxi services and very precarious employment- it's simply a stopgap until self driving cars arrive, when Uber will be able to cut all their drivers and pull in astronomical profits from a ready-made monopoly.

Viewed within this, Nintendo's old fashioned policy of clear pricing and high value products isn't as 'anti-consumer' as it first appears. Nintendo offer unique hardware and games which have a distinct aesthetic and creative approach- Nintendo's games ARE their branding, in a much more significant way than with Sony or Microsoft. Games are Nintendo's most precious commodity, and therefore protecting and preserving the perceived value of those games (and by extension the value of the entire company) is their top priority. This allows Nintendo an independence from the laissez-faire approach of other platform holders and media retailers, meaning that Nintendo can be relatively self sufficient even with smaller audience than other platforms. And most importantly, this financial independence allows Nintendo a creative independence, which is why we get so many amazing and creative games from them.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the Switch is a horrendously expensive console to own:

• £65 for Joycons, £25 for the charge grip to put them in, £60 Pro controllers
  • No game sharing removing what would be one of the principal benefits of a digital library especially for families
  • The worst digital deals of any gaming platform, hands down
  • Nintendo first party games never go down in price other than in a small increment and only once in a blue moon
  • Last gen ports with minimal improvements get sold for full price
  • A subscription service that gives you access to some NES roms while XBLG/PS+ offer so much more every month (and before anyone wheels out the price difference defence, subscriptions for both are frequently available for £25~)

I love Nintendo but their consoles are awful value for money compared to the competition.