• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Sony been clear on how your old games will work?

• Yes

Votes: 352 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,002 74.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
So if i put my copy of Tlou2 in my ps5 in november, this won't rendered in 4k ? It needs a patch to do able to do ?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It couldn't be any clearer to me

99% of your PS4 games will run on PS5 just fine. If those games have Pro patches, they will run in the PS4 Pro Legacy mode

If those games have PS5 upgrades, they'll run on the Native mode

Some upgrades will be free and others won't

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
All of your PS4 games will be playable on PS5 (with rare exceptions).

Most of them will not feature PS5 enhancements.

Games made after the PS4 Pro will have PS4 Pro patch features.

Games with unlocked framerates and resolutions will benefit from PS5's Boost Mode.

Games released this fall are likely to have PS5 enhancements and most of them will be free upgrades.

Games that are more than a couple years old that do get PS5 enhancements will likely require you to pay for them.

You can play Spider-Man PS4 on your PS5 at no additional charge, but you will only experience PS4 Pro mode via backwards compatibility. To get the PS5 native version of Spider-Man 2018 you must buy the Miles Morales special edition.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation 5 marketing in general it's being very confusing.

There's a lot of info we don't know yet.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I think BC will work somehow like this:

PS4 game gets a PS5 port -> Enhanced graphics, resolution and performance, supports specific PS5 features (e.g. dualsense controller feedback)

PS4 game gets a patch for PS5 -> Higher Resolution, better performance

PS4 game that had a Pro patch in the past, but doesn't get patched for PS5 -> runs in PS4 Pro mode

PS4 game with no Pro and PS5 patch -> runs in Standard PS4 mode

But then again i don't know if the PS5 can boost PS4 games without a necessary patch (would be awesome tho)

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
I think BC will work somehow like this:

PS4 game gets a PS5 port -> Enhanced graphics, resolution and performance, supports specific PS5 features (e.g. dualsense controller feedback)

PS4 game gets a patch for PS5 -> Higher Resolution, better performance

PS4 game that had a Pro patch in the past, but doesn't get patched for PS5 -> runs in PS4 Pro mode

But then again i don't know if the PS5 can boost PS4 games without a necessary patch (would be awesome tho)

i think it's everything correct except this part

Games with no pro/ps5 patch will run in ps4pro boost mode

anyway, most of the games will run like ps4pro so i don't really have a reason to make the jump atm

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
My thoughts are they should patch every first party game to allow 60fps/4K. If it's a remaster then charge for it, I don't think anyone will complain there. Not mandated either, if there is a title that breaks with 60fps that's fine just bump the resolution.

That's what I would like to be but we will see. I'm confused with what people are saying. Is there a PS5 mode BC: PS4, PS4 Pro (Boost), PS5 (Boost)? If that's the case the only thing I'd like to see is a 4K patch because that should be enough to smooth some titles out.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Honestly, it's been very clear since the day Mark Cerny talked about it in the PS5 tech breakdown video.
But, yes, there hasn't been a a FAQ, or blog post or something yet that simply says "If you put your PS4 disc into PS5, it will fucking run."

To answer your questions:
  • Yes, all your PS4 library, either digital or disc, will run on the PS5.
  • PS4 games released after July 2020 are required to run natively and support the PS5 hardware, without the console reverting to PS4 mode.
  • PS4 games not updated by the developer to support the PS5 hardware, will run in either PS4 or PS4 Pro mode. When a PS4 game is detected, PS5's CPU timings and clocks revert to PS4 or PS4 Pro mode, so the game runs without any problems and not faster than it should.
  • No, your PS5 doesn't care or know if there's a remaster in the works, it will run your PS4 game either way. It's a hardware and software thing. And also, Sony can't blacklist PS4 games from running on the PS5 because they're getting a remaster and to force you to buy the remaster; people can sue them.
  • Upgrades, graphical updates, free or paid PS5 versions and such, are totally up to the developer and the publisher.
  • Any content right now available for PS4 on the PlayStation Store, will run on PS5.
Ultimately, Sony can't come out and say "all" PS4 games will run, and has to use phrases like "99 percent of the games", because they can't test every five thousand game on the PlayStation Store and make sure they're playable from start to end. It's probably a legal thing; not saying "all games" I mean.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Based on what they've said so far, the PS5 CPU and GPU will be locked to PS4/PS4Pro clocks when playing PS4 games in 'compatibility mode'. Aside from leveraging the SSD for loading and the new controller: There is no talk of boost of any other benefits you'd gain.

The reason why the whole spec of the PS5 is not being delivered to these games is because the framework/OS surrounding them was not designed to go forward in ways it'd benefit them, this meant PS4 games ending up breaking the gameplay logic/running 8x the speed. A way for Sony to have countered this is to test every single game, but they didn't opt for that route because they didn't think it'd be worth pursuing.

It's massively disappointing for me personally and makes the console considerably less appealing in the short term.

This is compared to Series X (and even S in most regards) allowing the full CPU+GPU+SDD etc to be used to max dynamic resolutions, texture filtering, custom x-enhanced patches made for select games between gen 6-8 w/ 4k native+double fps, Auto HDR for every game. It's going to be the best play to experience those gens (for third parties), heck even nextgen upgrades for some. There's also talks of A.I. upscaling texture assets too.

I really hope Sony reevaluates BC features/strategy over time.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Do you remember when GTA 5 came to PS4, and it had new lighting, betterish framerate, and a new first person mode? Member how that game was 60 bucks when it came out? Member how Skyrim came to PS4 and had new lighting, vegetation, and better frame rate? Member how that game was 60 bucks?

Okay. It will be the same here. If the game has been enhanced for PS5 with new features or new graphical options, it will likely cost the price of a new game. That's just the reality. PS5 has a boost mode that may improve the performance of some PS4 games, but they haven't said which games support this boost mode. My bet is the games coming to the PS Plus collection will have probably boosted resolution and maybe better frame rate.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't feel like Sony have BC all sorted out, the messaging is all over the place. First it was top 100 ps4 games, now it's 99% of games, now spider-man has no upgrade path so does it not fall into either of the above categories?

I remember when Xbox got concern trolled for introducing smart delivery.
1.) Top 100 games was just their starting point for testing. Cerny basically said "testing is going well. We tested the top 100 games and we expect almost all of them to be playable."

Has nothing to do with their final BC goals.

Basically what was meant was "we tested 100 games out of 4000 so far, and we are finding most of them are already playable without any fixes needed to be made."

2.) Spiderman PS4 is playable on PS5. In fact the updated PS4 Pro version will also be playable on PS5. The PS5 Spiderman game is a bigger remaster with updated textures, and other visual updates.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. And it's confirmed. If you had a PS5 today and put your TLOUII disc in, it would play the PS4 Pro version of the game, since no PS5 patch exists for it. And it would downsample from 1440p for your 1080p TV.

Thank you, very interesting!| I hope a patch will be released to increase the resolution to 4k!

Last edited:

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Wow some of you really can't wrap your heads around this can you?
It's not hard to understand.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I know is that games will work in a PS5 native mode, PS4 Pro mode or PS4 mode.

Native requires a patch/new SKU
PS4 Pro is available on titles that were patched/released with PS4 Pro options.
PS4 mode is used for games that were not PS4 Pro.

I would assume upscaling and framerate improvements. I'm expecting little else past that without a patch - which is really why I'm interesting to see direct Spider-Man comparisons.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
They should make a YouTube video in which a rep takes a PS4 disc sticks it in a PS5 and starts playing, then downloads a PS4 game digitally and starts playing then reemphasizes that 99% of the 4,000+ PS4 games will work.

Then just to make sure no one is lost take a PS4 game and try to cram it in the PS5D and then go "well obviously that won't work, so if you have discs buy the one with a disc drive…"

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I mean, they have been clear. They'll run. But more info would be nice. I'm sure Digital Foundry will take charge in November if Sony doesn't prior.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Do we even have confirmation that our digital PS4 libraries will be accessible on a PS5 at launch? I assume discs will work out of the gate but unsure on digital titles, including PS Plus games.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Do we even have confirmation that our digital PS4 libraries will be accessible on a PS5 at launch? I assume discs will work out of the gate but unsure on digital titles, including PS Plus games.

This. I feel like I can't rest until someone from Sony comes out and clarifies this, just so they're unable to go back on their word. I feel like a lot of people are filling in the blanks after merely learning that the console is going to be backwards compatible. I'm not saying they're wrong, but it would be nicer to have the official word, especially since Sony hasn't been very straightforward with its messaging lately.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This. I feel like I can't rest until someone from Sony comes out and clarifies this, just so they're unable to go back on their word. I feel like a lot of people are filling in the blanks after merely learning that the console is going to be backwards compatible. I'm not saying they're wrong, but it would be nicer to have the official word, especially since Sony hasn't been very straightforward with its messaging lately.
PS5 is backward compatible with PS4. To this day and date I can see, access and download my PS3 purchases on my PSN account. How big proof or explanation do You need to figure out that all it takes to start your PS4 game on PS5 will be to download install and launch??? How much of an obvious stuff needs to be laid out like ABC 123?

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 is backward compatible with PS4. To this day and date I can see, access and download my PS3 purchases. How big proof or explanation do You need to figure out that all it takes to start your PS4 game on PS5 will be to download install and launch???

Are all games going to be backwards compatible day one? It's easy to assume that that would be the case, but we have no solid confirmation.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Agreed. We're still about 2 months away from launch, so they have time to clarify. My guess is that when they finally show off the UI they'll mention it.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They should make a YouTube video in which a rep takes a PS4 disc sticks it in a PS5 and starts playing, then downloads a PS4 game digitally and starts playing then reemphasizes that 99% of the 4,000+ PS4 games will work.

Then just to make sure no one is lost take a PS4 game and try to cram it in the PS5D and then go "well obviously that won't work, so if you have discs buy the one with a disc drive…"
A PS5 YouTube campaign would do wonders for Sony at this point. They have so much they still need to explain and reveal with the system being 2 months away from launching and letting Jim Ryan speak has been misleading and awful PR for them.

Regardless of these issues, the system will still sell like crazy and bring success to Sony, but I'm very annoyed Sony is being so tight lipped about things. We're in the endgame name and they need to stand behind their product and show confidence on why their strategy is the best, not this wait and see what MS does to counter.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Really hoping that PS5 boost/enhanced mode is applied, and many PS4 games get at least minor patches to take advantage of the power. Honestly hoping for more on the PSVR side, which we probably won't get. I still think it's kind of ridiculous they can't put in PS1/PS2 emulators - no one cares if they're perfect as long as they have 'something.' I wonder if they're scared of people using the other modes as gateway to unlock the machine - or even it's just more about selling the new games where they want no distractions; want huge sell through numbers to get favorable terms on the next round of exclusive agreements.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's all up to developers.

for 3rd party, yes. for sony 1st party, spider-man has proved that sony's stance is asking their customer to pay for remaster instead of 4k60 patches to existing ps4 game on ps5 for free. I am 100% in absolute confidence that TLOU2, GOT, GOW among other high profile sony 1st party titles will NOT get any patches at all. Clearly, sony has determined that the ROI to give users that type of features for free is not consistent with their business practices.

Really hoping that PS5 boost/enhanced mode is applied, and many PS4 games get at least minor patches to take advantage of the power.

that's not happening so don't even hope about it. Absolute 0% happening for 1st party.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
We don't know. Some will run in boost mode and look better automatically. For actual remasters Some games will be free, some may charge. It's all up to developers.

But for boost mode you mean only frame rate improvements ? Like it's mentioned here ? There is no mention of resolution....:(

Tj7Z0TC.jpg

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
But for boost mode you mean only frame rate improvements ? Like it's mentioned here ? There is no mention of resolution....:(

Tj7Z0TC.jpg

Boost mode is not going to make a game run in 4K when it previously ran in 1080p I don't think.

However, if a game had a dynamic resolution to maintain framerate. In boost mode the dips will be smaller and shallower or non existent.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I think it's very clear. You PS4 games will run in backwards compatible mode and may get some loading and frame rate improvements naturally from the hardware. This will obviously differ game to game.

If there's a PS5 specific build/enhancements, best to assume you have to pay for that upgrade unless explicitly told otherwise.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Is there a time when this needs to be implemented by? Cause it got me thinking about THPS

Yeah, the exact date was July 13th, as initially reported by Eurogamer, so THPS will be fine. (As will mostly every other game, too)

"Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible with PlayStation 5, beginning 13th July."

Considering this, I also speculate that games like The Last of Us Part 2 or Ghost of Tsushima even already support the PS5 hardware in their codes, to the point of being maybe even a little bit enhanced for the console.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, the exact date was July 13th, as initially reported by Eurogamer, so THPS will be fine. (As will mostly every other game, too)

"Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible with PlayStation 5, beginning 13th July."

Considering this, I also speculate that games like The Last of Us Part 2 or Ghost of Tsushima even already support the PS5 hardware in their codes, to the point of being maybe even a little bit enhanced for the console.
That compatibility just means the games will be able to run at the full PS5 clocks, so instead of running in PS4 Pro mode they will run in PS5 boost mode. That just means faster load times, improved frame rates and improved dynamic resolution on games that render that way.

For example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla will likely use dynamic resolution on PS4 Pro the same way Odyssey did. Since it is launching after July 2020, the game will support PS5 mode as well. So even if you are not running the "PS5 version", the PS4 backwards compatible version will more closely lock to 30 fps and the game will run at the higher end of the dynamic resolution scale more often or all the time. e.g., if it scales from 1200p to 1800p on PS4 Pro, the game will sit at 1800p almost all the time on PS5.

For a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey that released before July 2020, there is a possibility it is not compatible with the full PS5 clocks, in which case it will run at PS4 Pro mode and perform identically on PS5 as it would on a PS4 Pro.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
That compatibility just means the games will be able to run at the full PS5 clocks, so instead of running in PS4 Pro mode they will run in PS5 boost mode. That just means faster load times, improved frame rates and improved dynamic resolution on games that render that way.

For example, Assassin's Creed Valhalla will likely use dynamic resolution on PS4 Pro the same way Odyssey did. Since it is launching after July 2020, the game will support PS5 mode as well. So even if you are not running the "PS5 version", the PS4 backwards compatible version will more closely lock to 30 fps and the game will run at the higher end of the dynamic resolution scale more often or all the time. e.g., if it scales from 1200p to 1800p on PS4 Pro, the game will sit at 1800p almost all the time on PS5.

For a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey that released before July 2020, there is a possibility it is not compatible with the full PS5 clocks, in which case it will run at PS4 Pro mode and perform identically on PS5 as it would on a PS4 Pro.

Exactly. Totally on point.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad I'm not alone, looking at the polls; if the vast majority of ResetEra is confused, imagine what the general gaming public is feeling right now.

Thanks to those who have responded, but I still have a lot of doubts, I'm afraid it's gonna be one of those situations where everyone will have to wait and see when reviews come out on the PS5 of what the situation is with BC's and how re-masters are handled.

It's a real shame Sony have not been transparent about, especially since this was the main thing the competition had against them.