Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I just venting but I am really afraid right now, today we received a notice from our landlord saying that our lease will not be renewed and that we will have to move out by Jan 26. No reason was given for it (which I am aware they don't have to give a reason, but it still sucks not knowing what happened). As a veteran with bipolar and other disabilities , I am very stressed right now and getting close to a breakdown, my wife and her friend are looking for new apartments as we speak but I am still very stressed. We have 2 dogs and while they will take one of them, I am not sure what will happen to the other one, I really don't want to give him away since we love him very much, but it might have to be an option.

So far I can only thing of 3 possibilities that may come to pass:

1) We find a new place to live
2) We go back to PR (which I don't want to do, I hate PR)
3) She can stay with her friend and I will willingly become homeless by myself (there is no chance in hell I will let her be homeless)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sounds like a shitty landlord. Hopefully y'all can find a new place to live.

poweld

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry to hear that, really sucks.

That being said, it's more than two months away, and it sound like your wife and her friends are taking the hunt seriously. Be diligent but don't panic and you'll find a solution.

I might also look into eviction laws in your state. Many favor the tenant, especially during winter. Not that you want it to come to that, but it may be good info to have in your pocket if you need a little more time.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I had a similar situation and our landlord basically sold out the property and got us evicted even though we were comfortably paying rent. We had less than a month to find a new home.

But we ultimately did, and it's a much better home than the one we left, so try not to be alarmed and don't be afraid to ask for help. We certainly weren't afraid to ask for assistance and it worked out.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks man but keep your head up high and work on the problem...even if progress is slow, you will still be making progress. Plus two months is more than enough time to figure everything out!

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you got two months! during a time when landlords are begging for tennants. Keep up the spirts and keep looking!

I was given less then a months notice and found a place that was temporary while I looked for a better one.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Thankfully the VA was still open , got a bunch of number but I will have to call on Monday, still scared , I at least wish she gave me a reason why.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I feel a little more optimistic now , but I still feel like I failed my wife. I know I will feel better in the future, but my moods are going a little crazy right now.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I'm afraid I'm not well-versed in matters of housing, but I just wanted to throw in a post of support. It's scary, yeah, but you're already in touch with the VA. You'll figure something out. You are not a loser.
Maybe talk to your wife. Let her know how you're feeling.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel a little more optimistic now , but I still feel like I failed my wife. I know I will feel better in the future, but my moods are going a little crazy right now.
It's not on you. From what you've said you did everything you were supposed to do and the landlord still chose to fuck ya'll over anyway. Property values around here skyrocketed due to Covid and I live in bumfuckville. So I can only imagine what it's like where ya'll are at.

This is probably purely from a profit seeking motivation and has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do. So please don't blame yourself for this.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's not on you. From what you've said you did everything you were supposed to do and the landlord still chose to fuck ya'll over anyway. Property values around here skyrocketed due to Covid and I live in bumfuckville. So I can only imagine what it's like where ya'll are at.

This is probably purely from a profit seeking motivation and has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do. So please don't blame yourself for this.

thank you for the words, it's hard for me not to feel responsible at the moment but I will get better.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It feels like the final "Fuck You" of such a terrible year, I'm feeling better now though, already found another place I could move into (same rent wise as well), but I'll wait until I call my other options on Monday before I make a decision.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
It's got to be tough man it sounds super stressful but the only way you could fail your wife is if you give up and don't help her in the home search..so just try to stay positive, do everything you can and your wife will be proud of you. Teamwork makes the dreamwork!

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
Sucky landlord but it sounds like you have plenty of time and family/friends to find someplace else. Unless rental inventory is super low I'm sure you'll find somewhere.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels so good to start to come out on the other side of a bad situation. I'm glad you're starting to see the solution. It can be so difficult when the panic grips you.

Oct 28, 2017
Is you disability service connected? I'm 20% for a bum shoulder but when I go to the VA there does seem to be programs for those to prevent this kinda.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Sorry for the update , I'm up awake and couldn't sleep , I know people tell me it's not my fault but I feel ashamed I guess.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Sorry for the update , I'm up awake and couldn't sleep , I know people tell me it's not my fault but I feel ashamed I guess.

World is harsh. No shame in "failure". (you didn't even fail, unless you mean failed at becoming a millionaire...which is unreasonable)

Only shame in being Donald Trump or voting for him. Great, great shame. Horrible shame.

What's ur rent budget? can u move furniture by yourselves/friends?

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I can pay for a 2 bedroom and the VA has moving assistance.
You're in a pretty good position! I know that moving and finding a place can be stressful but it might be adventageous. Many places are seeing rent prices dramatically drop so you might be able to get a better place at a lower price. Just take a breath you got this.

This happened to me a few years ago and I had about a month to move. It was stressful just looking and finding a place but it all worked out.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I can pay for a 2 bedroom and the VA has moving assistance.
Well it sounds like the VA is a good resource and they may be able to help you with housing, I hope the best for you and your family. Try to keep positive buddy, I got no problems with you reaching out for support, because it's right here for ya, YOU GOT THIS!

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
My wife was freaking out a bit yesterday, saying it was her fault, I felt bad but of course I told her that this just a part of life, things happen and I guess we have to roll with it, we already found a better place , pretty much the same rent and we get to keep my babies (I considered giving them away as an extreme last resort, but I don't think I could do it , we and them have been through a lot and I know it may sound crazy, but I can't abandon them.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Update again, I just called 5 different numbers today and things are looking more hopeful at least.