Votes: 99 35.6%
  • None

Votes: 68 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, despite both games being out for over 7 years at least and both being ported to everything under the sun, I've never played either game. I feel like I probably should try them since both are critically acclaimed but never found the time. Well since I'm cooped up in my house for an extended period of time, I decided I should probably try but I don't know which one I should go for. I also haven't played and GTA game nor any Elder series game if that helps.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
play Skyrim now, ideally with plenty of mods.

don't play GTA V. it's a bad video game.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they're both very fun games and certainly two of the best open world games. I voted for Skyrim but you can't really go wrong with either imo.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
You shouldn't have put it out in the open that you haven't played Todd's game. Now he knows. You're screwed if you don't play it now.
700.jpg

I didn't particularly like Skyrim, just play GTA.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Gtav story is great and I really enjoyed the driving in that game.

Never played Skyrim tho and probably won't till it drops to 10 bucks on the switch.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I've played Skyrim so I recommend that one. GTA isn't my thing so I can't recommend it since I've not played it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, despite both games being out for over 7 years at least and both being ported to everything under the sun, I've never played either game. I feel like I probably should try them since both are critically acclaimed but never found the time. Well since I'm cooped up in my house for an extended period of time, I decided I should probably try but I don't know which one I should go for. I also haven't played and GTA game nor any Elder series game if that helps.
If you're playing on PC, go with GTA V. GTA V on a decently-specced PC is a uniquely immersive experience.

If you're playing on console, go with Skyrim, and make absolutely sure to play with at least a small handful of mods.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing on PC, go with GTA V. GTA V on a decently-specced PC is a uniquely immersive experience.

If you're playing on console, go with Skyrim, and make absolutely sure to play with at least a small handful of mods.

If all I have is a laptop will that matter? It's a Legion y7000. Also how do you do mods on console?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Skyrim is the most boring shit ever.

GTAV has some fun parts in single player, but it's not that great either.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you're in the mood for, but personally I like Skyrim way better. GTA V is good fun but I always get distracted when I play it and end up driving around outrunning cops / blowing shit up / etc then getting bored. It's a fun sandbox but that's about it for me. I love the exploration and cozy vibe that Skyrim has.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, to play an Elder Scrolls game for the first time is such an experience.

Go for Skyrim, then play GTA. Skyrim is such a perfect game to play when shut inside for long periods of time.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If all I have is a laptop will that matter? It's a Legion y7000. Also how do you do mods on console?
Skyrim uses Bethesda.net to handle mods on consoles. Ideally, you'd make a Bethesda.net account, sign into the website, favorite the mods you wish to use on your preferred platform, log into the game on the console, and then download them.

On PS4, you get 1gb of space to work with.

On Xbox One, you get 5gb.

Mods can be a bit finicky - some don't work together and you need to have them ordered correctly on your list - but there are plenty of communities available to help you in that endeavor. I can link you to a discord or two that specialize in up-to-date modlists for both consoles.

--

Your laptop is nearly as powerful as my desktop computer is. I can run GTA V at 60fps at high settings, and there's nothing really like it. First person GTA V is, for all its flaws, still a uniquely detailed, immersive, and entertaining experience. Hit up YouTube and look up some first person GTA V PC footage and see for yourself.

Of course, on that PC you can do a FUCKING LOT with Skyrim too, but modding on PC is a whole other can of worms and I wouldn't suggest going in too deep to someone who hasn't even played the base game yet (or hasn't dabbled with modding Bethesda games on PC before).

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
With all the bleakness going on, if I were you I want to escape into fantasy, far away from reality. Play Skyrim, it's perfect for that.

GTA V is still an awesome game at being a semi-realistic crime sim.

Oct 27, 2017
None. Skyrim is alright in VR but it's still Skyrim. Not a fan and GTAV is more interesting as a little living diorama than it is as an actual game that is fun to play. If I had to choose it would be Skyrim though I guess.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I've tried to play Skyrim and I think it's just real boring. I appreciate that there were ground breaking things about it, but at this point it's been thoroughly passed by stuff like Witcher 3. There's just more interesting things to play.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I played GTA5 on PS3 back around 2014 and had a great time with it. Currently playing Skyrim (~60 hours in and no end in sight) on Switch right now for the first time and enjoying that too. Actual gameplay/combat in both games are not that great/top-tier, but they get the job done. Both game worlds are fun to explore, although I find Skyrim's to be more interactive and interesting. I really like the dungeons and such in Skyrim though. Quest design (for the major ones) is also pretty good!

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Played both extensively, I'd recommend none of them.
- Skyrim's way too repetitive and easy considering the length of the game. The more you play the more its faults become intolerable.
- GTA V : Solo's not very interesting, characters are mostly trash and the humor... Well. Multiplayer is 2 min playing sessions between 5 min loading screens/lobbies. Never again.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
You should play Skyrim first just to understand why everyone shits on Bethesda now, after you realize they haven't upgraded their formula one bit 9 years later and how badly it has aged.

GTA V holds up quite well.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with GTA V if you're playing on PC. GTA V is a much, much better game on PC than it is on consoles. You're gonna get a lot of feedback from people who found GTA V lacking on console - including criticisms that I generally agree wholeheartedly with - but aspects of the PC GTA V experience still have me heaping praise onto the game.

Do you enjoy survival games? I find that Skyrim is a bit lacking as an RPG - but more than fine as an adventure game, something like 3D Zelda with loot and stats and without puzzles - and survival elements introduced through mods can add a whole nother roleplaying layer to what's already there.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They're both completely worth playing. GTA V might have the edge, if you can get three other people to play heists with you. It's still my favorite co-op game of the generation.

If you have a modern VR rig, I consider Skyrim VR the definitive way to play it. I'm probably in the minority, though.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim is one of the ugliest games I've ever seen. If you can get past that and you like rpgs then play that.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with GTA V if you're playing on PC. GTA V is a much, much better game on PC than it is on consoles. You're gonna get a lot of feedback from people who found GTA V lacking on console - including criticisms that I generally agree wholeheartedly with - but aspects of the PC GTA V experience still have me heaping praise onto the game.

To be fair I was going to go GTA V on my laptop and Skyrim on my PS4.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
If you can mod Sykrim and it's sub €5, try it.
GTAVis not that bad, if you like the story/tone of the GTA games.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I love both. I've probably put 300+ hours into Skyrim and well over 2,000 hours into GTAV/GTAO. I would vote the latter.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Both have mediocre gameplay, if that matters to you.

GTA V at least has a fun story mode and lots of humor (that I don't enjoy that much but that's how humor works), it has a good mission variety and it looks great on PC or the current consoles port.

Skyrim is really boring and looks really dated, so I'd recommend lots of other RPGs over it tbh.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to play Skyrim and I think it's just real boring. I appreciate that there were ground breaking things about it, but at this point it's been thoroughly passed by stuff like Witcher 3.
Can we finally stop with this please? Both games go for something else. Both are great, but The Witcher 3 didn't thoroughly pass The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim at all. It does things better but it also does a lot of things worse.

@topic: Both are essential games. Both are still among the best their genres have to offer. Just pick the one you want to play more first. Play Skyrim in VR if you can. Skyrim VR is one of the most immersive games ever made.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can we finally stop with this please? Both games go for something else. Both are great, but The Witcher 3 didn't thoroughly pass The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim at all. It does things better but it also does a lot of things worse.

@topic: Both are essential games. Both are still among the best their genres have to offer. Just pick the one you want to play more first. Play Skyrim in VR if you can. Skyrim VR is one of the most immersive games ever made.
^^^
Agreed. Witcher 3 is a whole other kind of RPG and it isn't packing many if any of the light immersive sim elements that make BGS's games so much fun to 'live in'.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Clunky as it is, there's something uniquely engaging about Skyrim. It's big on player freedom and lets you approach situations in a variety of ways. It's also a big game, with a lot to see and do. A very good, unique open-world RPG. Really good, even by today's standards.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played Skyrim near release and was bored out of my mind. I have no interest in playing GTA5. I envy OP because I wish I could be as much of a unicorn as him.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Definitely recommend GTA V. I despised GTA for years, I played GTA 3 when it was new simply because it had taken over the world overnight and had to try it even though nothing about it seemed at all interesting or enticing to me. Sure enough, it bored the shit out of me, regardless if I was playing it "properly" i.e. story missions or just screwing around trying to have fun fighting cops and victimizing random hapless NPCs. I avoided GTA for years after that. Right after Red Dead Redemption came out, I was hearing people rave about how good it was and how "It's nothing like GTA, so if you hate GTA try RDR anyway." I tried RDR and sure enough I love it to death. Then I heard different people saying "Why do people keep saying RDR isn't like GTA? IT'S EXACTLY LIKE GTA IT'S BASICALLY GTA 4 SET IN THE OLD WEST." Hmmm. After playing through RDR twice, I decided to try GTA 4. Yep, I loved it. But I wanted to "do things right," so after just a few hours I decided to go dig out my old unfinished copy of GTA 3 and started a fresh game, beat it in a week, loved it. Picked up Vice City, beat it, loved it. Picked up San Andreas, beat it, loved it. Went back to GTA 4, beat it loved it, played both of its DLCs, beat them, loved them. Suffice it to say I was more than ready for GTA 5, and it did not disappoint. Very likely my most played game this gen (i.e. the PS4 remaster) and I don't even touch the online portion. GTA 5 is the pinnacle of the series IMO.

Can't recommend Skyrim, never played it, absolutely zero interest in ES. My ex loved them and I tried her copies of Morrowind and Oblivion... I just generally am not interested in 99.9999% of western-made RPGs.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watch this (and imagine if it were 60fps with a higher FOV than what you see here)

That's how immersive GTA V can be, it's something else. A rare sort of game that's packed with so much detail and so many moving parts that sometimes you'll be in disbelief of what you're seeing play out in front of you if it's your first time playing.

Just don't expect to be able to jack your settings WAY HIGH up. There are aspects of GTA V's visuals that can leave your game performing at >60fps in some areas of the world, and ~30fps in others. You should be able to get the game running at equivelant or higher settings than the console versions at 60fps on your laptop though.