• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem is great, and sorry OP but GAF/ERA is one of the most toxic and hating places on the internet in regards to Bioware, it's visceral ; every game, every thread, there's nothing to do about it.

I mean you just have to look at the first reply, wish that kind of behavior would have disappeared by now

From what I saw, most people on ERA were excited before. After playing it and/reading reviews, they weren't and were sad it didn't have the BioWare charm they've grown to love. This nonsense would fly if the game wasn't critically panned, but give me a break. It's fine to like it or feel differently, but let's not pretend like era is the only place that feels this way. In general, ERA isn't one person anyhow.

This is the same narrative knuckleheads we're trying to spin when destiny 2 launched. Hell, I remember it going back to destiny 1 and in each game, they improved for the better. Folks do the games they love a disservice when they try to find some nonsensical reason why others may not enjoy it what's offered.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How someone could find the gameplay better than Destiny (which, tons of other issues aside, has fantastic shooting and mobility) is beyond me. Writing etc I could see as both division and destiny are basically mashing the skip dialogue button for me.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the core of the gameplay loop despite Anthem's hilarious/tragic number of problems and bugs. To downplay Anthem's problems and bugs is to do potential players a disservice.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the people who think this should just go into the OT. Don't know why you think your opinion is above everyone else's just because it's positive. This thread will become negative too since people are free to post where they want.

I also think it's good that people are honest and vocal with their criticisms. The game will never get better if people don't speak up.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I saw, most people on ERA were excited before. After playing it and/reading reviews, they weren't and were sad it didn't have the BioWare charm they've grown to love. This nonsense would fly if the game wasn't critically panned, but give me a break. It's fine to like it or feel differently, but let's not pretend like era is the only place that feels this way. In general, ERA isn't one person anyhow.
I feel like the open Beta is where most people began to see the issues with the game, I know I did.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
"the story and writing are spot on"
I like the gameplay and I think the game is really fun with friends. But the story and writing is horrible, especially since it's the studio that brought storytelling masterpieces like KOTOR. It's just a really lazy and boring story about become strong enough to kill the bad guy and opening things up for possible dlcs/expansions... Even Destiny 2s cheap villain had more character than the bad guy in Anthem that I don't even the remember the name of

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish I felt the same OP. I loved old Bioware. I was so pumped for Mass effect Andromeda, and despite the poor reviews, I was sure that as a huge Bioware and Mass Effect fan id still like it. I absolutely hated it. If anything, I felt the reviews were too positive.

With Anthem coming out, I fell into the same trap of getting super hyped based on my love of Bioware. This time however, I played through EA premiere before any reviews came out. I absolutely hate this game. There's so many flaws in the game that should never be in a game at release (unacceptable load times, being warped to teammates if they are far enough away, the awful tomb checklist, no map markers, no stats, when you get knocked out being unable to do anything thing or even go into the menu). Even if they fixed every one of those issues I stated above, the gameplay itself just isn't fun and the story is terrible.

It's made me realize that modern day Bioware is not old day Bioware just because they have the same name. This is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played and it's awful through and through. If this game was released by a studio not named Bioware, would you have the same opinion of it?

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
WateryWarmheartedChick-size_restricted.gif

Holy shit! Almost pissed my pants lol 🤣

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the open Beta is where most people began to see the issues with the game, I know I did.

Same thing I noticed. I remember a lot people being overjoyed that BioWare was on the game originally. Crazy to see folks trying to paint everyone as against them. I remember being told I probably never played destiny (had hundreds of hours)when I criticized 2 on launch, so it's to be expected I guess.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I like how expecting high standards and quality from a company with the reputation for making instant classics is considered taboo on a gaming centric forum.

As others have said youre only doing consumers and Bioware a disservice for not acknowledging why Anthem is being trodden on.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I like the gameplay, matchmaking works surprisingly well but the story and mission design is lacking. Also, the world lacks magic and mystery. I literally have no desire to explore it. I will continue playing until TD2 hits but I think the game will see a population drop at that point, if not sooner with new D2 content coming out this week.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
its fine to enjoy a game, nothing wrong with that, but to deny its shortcomings and myriad of problems is just ignorant

I agree with this. I'm having a blast with it, but it has a host of objective flaws for sure win crashes, missions not being able to be completed, long load times, the interact/revive button not working at times etc.

I'm just one that's more easily able to get past such things when I really enjoy the core gameplay. Others can't and that's fine. To each their own.

I've disengaged a lot from online communities as I'm just not a critical person and not very interested in engaging in critical discourse anymore. I've totally dropped movie and tv forums and all game forums but this one and have posted and read a ton less this year. OP probably should as well. I've found media hobbies a lot more fun when I just enjoy what I like and don't worry what others think. Even when there's good cause like this game with all its problems the rampant negativity online just isn't good for mental health IMO. Though again, to each their own as I realize many have fun with critical discourse.

Oct 30, 2017
Having this type of attitude towards criticisms is asinine and let's developers/companies off the hook too easily.

Granted some may just be doing it for the hell of it but the game is fundamentally flawed throughout and is behind other titles in the same genre that released years ago in basic ass features. They deserve all the criticism cause the game is seriously behind even what they themselves advertised it being.

Handwaiving all these issues away because "fuck you im having fun and if you complain you're just a troll" is a very shortsighted and terrible way to approach this.

Enjoy what you like, but don't complain when the next big game comes out and is severely lacking cause it's people like you that grease the wheels for these companies so they can keep churning out terrible products and keep making money because once again "fuck you I'm having fun though!".

Your post is way off point. Nobody is hand waiving things away or saying this game doesn't deserve its share of criticism. Your not wrong in what your saying in the general issues with the industry, but this is just one of many Era members who is enjoying something being fully aware of the issues. BioWare isn't stupid enough to see a group of people liking the game and say, "Oh, we did our jobs see 10 people on Era like it!" no developer is that naive. Everyone knows about the issues, they're nothing new and they have payed the price for it. Whats a matter with someone trying to write about their personal enjoyment they had with a product? People should be able to express that without a bunch of smart ass (not you) replies.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
some comments here are something else...

surely it is also Sony´s job to make sure that a game runs properly on the machine...imagine someone snugs in a backdoor in a game, do you guys also think Sony isn´t at fault for allowing such software to appear on their PSN store?

you just can´t expect that the developer makes clear that it runs, you also have to check for yourself if you are selling the games through your store.

it is also Sony´s fault when they are allowing software that could potentially damage your console.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I like how expecting high standards and quality from a company with the reputation for making instant classics is considered taboo on a gaming centric forum.

As others have said youre only doing consumers and Bioware a disservice for not acknowledging why Anthem is being trodden on.

You know what's funny? We have another thread where people are defending the game breaking bugs by saying it's the platform holders fault for not vigorously QCing Anthem before release like Bioware is a new indie company. KOTOR/Mass Effect Bioware.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And this is a thread why? Full gamefaqs mode seems like someone forget to flick the switch.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry OP but the game is just fundamentally flawed not only on a technical but a conceptual level.

And reading stuff like "the work they have put into constantly improving the game" when they haven't even started to improve it yet make me wary of your intentions, to be honest.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I am really happy you are enjoying it OP, I can't say I share the same feeling about it but I am happy for you nonetheless.

I also believe BioWare is still a talented studio, unfortunately I also think EA are killing them like they do every other developer.

I don't want to make this an EA rant though.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, OP reads like a Sarah Huckabee Sanders press statement.

Glad you're enjoying it, but I can't agree with a single point.

Deleted member 11943

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad there are reviewers, influencers like this would have you think the game has redeeming qualities.

When story progress is gated by challenges like "get a triple kill 50 times" you fucked up on how to make games. It doesn't even make sense, how would this tomb know you were out there getting these achievements on the other side of map? Its maybe the laziest we ran of time shit I've heard of.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This post belongs in the OP.

It's great that you are enjoying the game but it's a unfinished mess and considering how bad Mass Effect Andromeda and Mass Effect 3 were i don't think Bioware is even a good studio,let alone amazing.
Let's be real: up until the ending Mass Effect 3 is a great game. Same with DA:I, which only suffers because a game came out following its release that completely changed the genre. Andromeda was bad but anything else is revisionism at best.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I think people are being extremely hard on the game. It's not perfect, but there is something special there. It just needed more time to bake in the oven. Once all the bugs are ironed out and there is more content, it'll be really solid. I'd also like to see them dial that resolution back for a high framerate setting on the mid gen consoles. That would do wonders imo.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
biowares up for grabs on opinions after 2 botches in a row

Bioware Edmonton's last game was Dragon Age: Inquisition which, despite its flaws, has an 89 on Metacritic and some felt was GOTY. Bioware Montreal worked on Mass Effect Andromeda.

Even taking Anthem into consideration, Bioware Edmonton has an exceptional track record. Fans in this medium can turn on creators so fast - it is really shitty. No one needs to support a bad game - great directors/bands/authors all have their misses, which can be justifiably labelled as such - but why people feel the need to throw the developer under the bus with it, I'm never clear.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I got it free with my graphics card, played it a couple hours and really liked it, a lot of fun. *shrug* I hate all the unlocks and shit though, confusing and time consuming for someone like me who can only play in short bursts here and there.

Oct 30, 2017

who is doing a disservice by discussing the positive experience they had with a game? From what i can tell, even the people who are enjoying the game including myself are fully aware and acknowledge the issues. Nobody is claiming that they dont exist. The industry and consumers are already well aware of the current state of the game. One person talking about it in a positive light who is not a professional journalist or reviewer isn't going to tip the scales and encourage future broken releases of games. They're entitled to talk about their experiences and not be met with a thread full of smart asses that feel the need to remind everyone that are already fully aware, that the game they seem enjoy is broken. Everyone knows.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we are all aware of what is going on with Anthem, there is no reason for OP to regurgitate it. for once its nice to have someone stand up and say hey, i really like the game and here's why. This isnt a professional reviewer who's job is to be objective. But Era is the wrong place for such optimism or positive acts.
Probably because we shouldnt be praising a game thats in the state anthem is in regardless of how much you enjoy it. The very reason it shipped this way, from the horses mouth, was that fans ate up and defended other gaas titles so it was acceptable to release this game in it's current iteration. That's how low bioware developers think of their audience, and it got this way because of ops like this. If this isnt straight up astroturfing its directly contributing to the state of the genre-and it's not acceptable.

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem is great, and sorry OP but GAF/ERA is one of the most toxic and hating places on the internet in regards to Bioware, it's visceral ; every game, every thread, there's nothing to do about it.

I mean you just have to look at the first reply, wish that kind of behavior would have disappeared by now
You're damn right, OP. Thank you for saying it. I'm enjoying it too and optimistic about its future.

Careful of the brigade here though. Anthem is the current target of choice.

And these posts are as bad as the ones saying "This game is a piece of shit I hope Bioware dies" with that toxic ERA hivemind/brigade generalization.

Having this type of attitude towards criticisms is asinine and let's developers/companies off the hook too easily.

Granted some may just be doing it for the hell of it but the game is fundamentally flawed throughout and is behind other titles in the same genre that released years ago in basic ass features. They deserve all the criticism cause the game is seriously behind even what they themselves advertised it being.

Handwaiving all these issues away because "fuck you im having fun and if you complain you're just a troll" is a very shortsighted and terrible way to approach this.

Enjoy what you like, but don't complain when the next big game comes out and is severely lacking cause it's people like you that grease the wheels for these companies so they can keep churning out terrible products and keep making money because once again "fuck you I'm having fun though!".

Well said.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are all aware of what is going on with Anthem, there is no reason for OP to regurgitate it. for once its nice to have someone stand up and say hey, i really like the game and here's why. This isnt a professional reviewer who's job is to be objective. But Era is the wrong place for such optimism or positive acts.

I guess most of the review sites with user reviews, reddit, and YouTube aren't either because negative impressions aren't limited to this site.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real: up until the ending Mass Effect 3 is a great game. Same with DA:I, which only suffers because a game came out following its release that completely changed the genre. Andromeda was bad but anything else is revisionism at best.

Oh please. DA:I had glaring problems long before TW3 had even shipped (and that game has its fair share of "open-world" problems too). The biggest being this inane trend of shoving MMORPG tasks into single-player games, and primarily only doing so since they need to have what would be an otherwise completely empty and large area filled with "stuff to do". This entire "value proposition" sentiment has actually made games worse by wasting a player's time than actually adding anything of actual value.

DA:I wasn't a bad game, but it could have certainly been much better had it not caved so much to following modern trends, and it certainly wasn't GOTY material. Has absolutely nothing at all to do with hindsight revisionism either, but good try.

I do think the hyperbole surrounding the ME3 ending is way overblown, but that's probably because I thought the game was a huge step down from the start anyway and just wanted it to be over long before it was.

Last edited:

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
So far im enjoying the gameplay itself but literally everything else is trash.

So much loading, terrible menus, shitty explanations of its systems, bad enemies with shit ai, shit bosses, "meh" performance on my xbox, limited costumization options, bland music, and weak story plus so much more.

Theres something that can be made into something special but as it is the game is a huge miss right now.

Oct 30, 2017
Probably because we shouldnt be praising a game thats in the state anthem is in regardless of how much you enjoy it. The very reason it shipped this way, from the horses mouth, was that fans ate up and defended other gaas titles so it was acceptable to release this game in it's current iteration. That's how low bioware developers think of their audience, and it got this way because of ops like this. If this isnt straight up astroturfing its directly contributing to the state of the genre-and it's not acceptable.

And i think that's a fair point. But, i doubt that relying on your rabid loyal fan base to release your broken game because they're the ones that will embrace it is any developers strategy. Its a problem of ambition, budget and time. They poorly managed it, and im more than sure they are well aware of the complications it created for them financially and for their consumer base. But the majority perception of this game is poor and if we were talking about a journalist or reviewer whos job it was to be objective than i would agree far more. But i dont think one person making a thread discussing their positive experience with the game isnt going to somehow convince BW and EA that they did an amazing job and to make sure they release all their games like this.

I guess most of the review sites with user reviews, reddit, and YouTube aren't either because negative impressions aren't limited to this site.

Thats not what im saying. Im saying that people on here cant handle someone making a thread where they had a positive experience with a game thats been poorly received. OP is already aware of its faults and decided they would like to discuss the positive aspects of, which on Era is pointless because there is no room such things here.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Era ain't even that bad when it comes to BioWare since the SJW boogieman talk doesn't fly here.

HexedHavoc

May 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Your enjoyment doesn't discount the fact that the content available is a joke... the end game is non-existent... it's just pathetic :(
I was really really hyped for this game but my disappointment is through the roof.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
I agree OP, Anthem is actually really good at a lot of things, it may not be perfect, but I think its already a great game as it is. Now if they actually continue supporting it down the line the game can get even better.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're comparing with base game Destiny 1, ignoring how actually well done Destiny 1 post Taken King was and how well done Destiny 2 post Forsaken has been. It isn't 2014 anymore.
It fits they're narrative. Calling it the GaaS only three weeks after launch is nuts what is out there. Destiny 2 is better than ever with a ton of content and PVP.

Division 1 is also the best it's been as well with the Division 2 looking to do even more with a ton more content.

Anthem has 3 strongholds, total.

The only thing I like about Anthem is the flying but even that gets old after awhile.

Jun 26, 2018
And i think that's a fair point. But, i doubt that relying on your rabid loyal fan base to release your broken game because they're the ones that will embrace it is any developers strategy. Its a problem of ambition, budget and time. They poorly managed it, and im more than sure they are well aware of the complications it created for them financially and for their consumer base. But the majority perception of this game is poor and if we were talking about a journalist or reviewer whos job it was to be objective than i would agree far more. But i dont think one person making a thread discussing their positive experience with the game isnt going to somehow convince BW and EA that they did an amazing job and to make sure they release all their games like this.

Thats not what im saying. Im saying that people on here cant handle someone making a thread where they had a positive experience with a game thats been poorly received. OP is already aware of its faults and decided they would like to discuss the positive aspects of, which on Era is pointless because there is no room such things here.

Doesn't discussion of the game primarily belong in the OT?

Any anthem related threads outside the OT has been news or review related as far as I've seen.

Also I do think there's room for discussing the positive aspects of anthem, maybe just not with the way this thread is angled.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I agree with you OP, the hate train for this is strong, just ignore it and continue enjoying what you enjoy.
You're comparing with base game Destiny 1, ignoring how actually well done Destiny 1 post Taken King was and how well done Destiny 2 post Forsaken has been. It isn't 2014 anymore.
And you're ignoring that the same things can happen with Anthem as it only JUST released and is meant to be a game that will be supported and improved over time... just... like... Destiny 1+2.