Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Why are people so offended by this thread? You don't like gyro? Go ahead and voice that opinion. But complaining about a thread being made regarding it? Move on.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
A while ago I made a thread on how I am enjoyed using gyroscope on Red Dead Redemption 2 to finetune my aim on PC, and since then I have started accustom myself to using gyro on other flat screen titles, including Splatoon 2 on Nintendo Switch. Maybe VR games In the past years have also accustom me to using motion to enhance my gaming experience.

gyro has definitely makes aiming more intuitive for me. You know how some people subconsciously shifts their body a little or tilt the gamepad while making a turn in racing game or something similar? I guess gyro aiming probably lean into that to allow me to aim more precisely by tilting the gamepad. I still play games on consoles without gyro mostly because there isn't any gyro option, but for games like this on PC? I be sure to utilize gyro to enhance the aiming.

Now that Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC, I am sure that people are going to get hyped over it for various reasons (eg using mouse & keyboard). Personally I am looking most forward to using gyro-aiming to play this game. It sucks that Steam Controller is no longer in production (although I have 2 Steam controllers now so I am fine mostly in the near future), perhaps I will look into buying a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as another spare in the future
I think the features most PC players are hyped for actual 4k graphics, 60fps and ultrawide resolutions.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Quick, somebody post that one YouTube video that always comes with these threads.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so offended by this thread? You don't like gyro? Go ahead and voice that opinion. But complaining about a thread being made regarding it? Move on.
The rejection of gyro is funny as fuck.

Either you believe gyro is inferior to pure stick aiming, in which case, why do you care that other players have the option? Just disable it! OR you accept that gyro is superior, in which case, why don't you just... use it?

The only reason I see anyone could be angry at the idea of devs implementing gyro is being aware that it's a superior way of aiming BUT not wanting to use it. Which is just funny.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Shit posting is cool, I guess. People feel threatened because others want more options. It's always the same group of people who jump into these threads to shut down discussion. It's tiring.

Jun 2, 2019
Some replies here are downright an insult to intelligence. Propaganda? acolytes? This isn't a political matter, it shouldn't be an issue to ask for the implementation of a function that is already included in the controller. We're gamers for fucks sake, it should be okay to advocate for the control method we're more comfortable with.

And of course not only is the anti-gyro crowd the first to post, their dismissiveness has become so abrassive it has become intentionally offensive

Everyone bemoaned Sixaxis functionality in every Sony game until Nintendo started doing it in their first party offerings.

You can blame Sony themselves for that. When you try to steal Nintendo's thunder and then make a presentation with Warhawk being so uncontrollable

lOpJgM.gif

And then release something like Lair wich controls like Shit and have intentional delayed controls (It almost feels like a revenge from Factor 5 for forcing them to add it at the last minute) of course everyone will bemoan the Sixaxis functionality. It didn't gain traction until Nintendo showed publicitly how it's done, and of course, since then, people has been asking for the standarization of Gyro, because it was shown in a flagship game that not only IT WORKS, but it also IS SUPERIOR to dual stick aiming and should be there as an option at least.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I played Horizon right after I played Breath of the Wild, and using gyro for aiming the bow became muscle memory for me. It made Horizon kind of unpleasant to play even though there were so many other things I liked about it.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is going to be one of those games that will benefit a lot from gyro-aiming via motion gameplay. I don't see why I shouldn't explain why or share my excitement on how I can utilize it to enjoy the game on PC.

The current huge success of Ring Fit Adventure wouldn't have been possible without it, and those unconvinced should ask the Playstation VR owners about the motion sensing gameplay of Astro Bot with the Dual Shock 4. I am not even going to spin it. Many games are better with gyro as an option.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Horizon Zero Dawn is going to be one of those games that will benefit a lot from gyro-aiming via motion gameplay. I don't see why I shouldn't explain why or share my excitement on how I can utilize it to enjoy the game on PC

Well you see, people here loves to speak about acolytes and whatnot, but the anti gyro league is far more active, way worse in their attitude and will always be quick to try to shut down anyone that goes against their ways.

Add to that that you just touched one of PS4's best games that "works perfectly with dual stick aiming" and i mean, it does, it's not like the aiming is fucked up or something, but those who point at how well it works will always be quick to point to the focus/slowdown ability you can learn pretty early in the game while leveling up, wich in my opinion actually goes against their argument.

And while dual stick aiming is bad by itself, the stupid amount of headshots I'm getting on uncharted is a testament of how it's not actually unplayable, but it IS bad, and we have a tool to improve it a hundredfold literally in our hands on the motherfucking DS4.

The current huge success of Ring Fit Adventure wouldn't have been possible without it, and those unconvinced should ask the Playstation VR owners about the motion sensing gameplay of Astro Bot with the Dual Shock 4. I am not even going to spin it. Many games are better with gyro as an option.

Do you know what's the worst about this part of your reply? That it paints a picture way smaller than it actually is. Gyro is EVERYWHERE, it's a standard! From cheap smartphones to the controllers we hold in our hands every gaming session, and Valve was forward thinking enough not onlu to release the Steam Controller, but also to allow system wide gyro compatibility, even with the dual shock 4 and the switch pro controller paired to PC.

Hell, people loses theirnshit speaking about how great and how precise virtual reality is, and that's because of gyro! But if its about using it on traditional games with traditional controllers then it's a sacrilege.

Only one subset of the gaming world has actually evolved, the rest are stuck in the E3 2006 warhawk demo, 14 years ago.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019
Imagine being offended because someone wants a feature that's already in the system to be used, is completely optional, has no downsides and has already been used by them for over 8 years

Jun 2, 2019
Imagine being offended because someone wants a feature that's already in the system to be used, is completely optional, has no downsides and has already been used by them for over 8 years

Best and worst thing is, they act as if they felt actually offended. I can get those who don't care about gyro and even those who don't like it at all, their opinions are worthy of resect, but feeling offended? Get a grip ffs

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why are gyro threads always so contentious lol. I don't like gyro either but how does anyone see the title of this thread and think anything beyond 'cool, hope you enjoy it'

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Are people offended? I just think people ate baffled OP is making such a big deal out it hes made two different threads for a pretty minor issue

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish they'll directly add gyro mapping to the system wide controller remap, as a "proof of goodwill" if they decide to bet further on gyro with the ps5. Like, throw us a bone, Sony.

The problem is, on console, that gyro needs to be its own specific input. It's not like SCAPI where you can map the gyro to the mouse input, hence getting the accuracy desired. If you map your gyro as a stick... You're not getting the desired accuracy. Heck, it's also a problem on PC for games that dont support both mouse and controller input during gameplay.

Jun 2, 2019
The problem is, on console, that gyro needs to be its own specific input. It's not like SCAPI where you can map the gyro to the mouse input, hence getting the accuracy desired. If you map your gyro as a stick... You're not getting the desired accuracy. Heck, it's also a problem on PC for games that dont support both mouse and controller input during gameplay.

Yeah, I'm aware, I do a pretty extensive use of Steam Input after all. However, it's better than nothing, and it could do wonders for people like my sister who hasn't used double stick aiming since Wind Waker (She's having a really hard time with AC Origins)