• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
A small tip would be that the "Surprise me!" menu exists on console Gamepass but it requires you to go to your Games Library, select Gamepass and then it will choose a random game from Gamepass with it.

Depending on how "bad" you are with "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PLAY :'( " feelings, I really advise using this feature and just don't think about it and go in. You'll be surprised sometimes at just how many games you can discover through that. Games that you never would have thought of playing, or even games you would have never started instead.

There's lots of games on there!

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Get a cheap 1TB SATA SSD (specs really don't matter, anything will work, so just go cheap) and a SATA-USB adapter and use that for all Xbox One, 360 and early "Gen 9 aware" Series titles.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
A small tip would be that the "Surprise me!" menu exists on console Gamepass but it requires you to go to your Games Library, select Gamepass and then it will choose a random game from Gamepass with it.

Depending on how "bad" you are with "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PLAY :'( " feelings, I really advise using this feature and just don't think about it and go in. You'll be surprised sometimes at just how many games you can discover through that. Games that you never would have thought of playing, or even games you would have never started instead.

There's lots of games on there!

Oh I have a few titles on my plan to play list already.

Blue Dragon, Rare Replay, Gears of War are on top of my list.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Isnt it MP only though? There's no single player content right? It was one of the only few Xbox/Microsoft published games I didnt buy on Steam because I thought it was MP only.
it is MP, but you can still play solo and it's not *that* common you run into issues, but yeah there's no way to avoid players entirely.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had an Xbox since the 360.

I have also PS5 a Switch and the Series is S is by far my most used console. I love the size and got 3 years of gamepass with the $1 promo.

It is honestly the best deal in gaming right now.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I haven't had an Xbox since the 360.

I have also PS5 a Switch and the Series is S is by far my most used console. I love the size and got 3 years of gamepass with the $1 promo.

It is honestly the best deal in gaming right now.

This is my first Xbox ever - I plan to get a PS5 next year (and a new gaming laptop too next year).

Buy Geometry Wars 2 and play pacifist mode literally forever.

Got it wishlisted!

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Got it all set up!

I now have access to Playstation (PS3, PS4), Nintendo (Switch, 3DS, WiiU), PC (Steam, EGS, Uplay, Origin, GOG, etc), Mobile (iOS, Android) and now Xbox.

N10qvSh.jpg

nMLDmvJ.jpg

And ya like people mentioned earlier, it really is small lol

I managed to put it in between my Switch set up, PS4 so got them all together in the same area along with my gaming PC.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Got it all set up!

I now have access to Playstation (PS3, PS4), Nintendo (Switch, 3DS, WiiU), PC (Steam, EGS, Uplay, Origin, GOG, etc), Mobile (iOS, Android) and now Xbox.

N10qvSh.jpg

nMLDmvJ.jpg

And ya like people mentioned earlier, it really is small lol

I managed to put it in between my Switch set up, PS4 so got them all together in the same area along with my gaming PC.
Nice set up

tv too high

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hello friends

I ordered a Xbox series S

I been buying b/c titles for the past few months

(I have a switch , ps4, and Steam as my main platforms)

Any recommendations on games? I heard Xbox Series s is a great emulation system too , so interested in that

It's gonna be pretty simple.

Get game pass.

What kind of games do you like? If you like grand strategy/paint the map style games (paradox). Both stellaris and crusader kings 3 is on game pass and both are excellent!

City skylines is also excellent if you like city building games.

Flight simulator is gorgeous but seriously challenging. All the major sports titles are on there (playing the show right now). I believe all of Bethesda titles are on there as well (hopefully soon ABK as well)

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
One thing no one's mentioned, get yourself a nice set of rechargeable AA batteries. They last really long, and just always keep a set charged. Never need to buy batteries again and never need to worry about the controller dying

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's gonna be pretty simple.

Get game pass.

What kind of games do you like? If you like grand strategy/paint the map style games (paradox). Both stellaris and crusader kings 3 is on game pass and both are excellent!

City skylines is also excellent if you like city building games.

Flight simulator is gorgeous but seriously challenging. All the major sports titles are on there (playing the show right now). I believe all of Bethesda titles are on there as well (hopefully soon ABK as well)

I'm mostly a RPG, fighting, platformer, action, adventure and racing fan.

But I'm mostly open to all other genres - my least favorite genre is sports lol.

One thing no one's mentioned, get yourself a nice set of rechargeable AA batteries. They last really long, and just always keep a set charged. Never need to buy batteries again and never need to worry about the controller dying

Any specific recommendations on rechargeable batteries?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Any specific recommendations on rechargeable batteries?
You have two options:
  • Eneloops (specifically the Eneloop Pros) which are high end NiMH AA form factor rechargeables. Easy to replace and are universally compatible, and have excellent battery life. However must be charged outside the controller. There are some Eneloop-related types that are basically the same thing-but-cheaper but if you want to be sure you're getting the right kind, get Eneloops. Unlike the 360 controller, the Xbox One/Series controllers are calibrated to handle their lower voltage, so you won't get low power warnings drastically early.
  • The Xbox Play & Charge kit. Goes in the same battery compartment and you can charge the controller through its USB port as expected. There's some cheap third party alternatives that do not work this way, and instead expect you to replace the door and use a separate USB port. Do not get those, the official battery does not require this. From my limited experience, the battery life is about the same as the Eneloop option, though the Eneloops have better stand-by shelf life due to the chemical difference.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Get a normal external SSD, not the official proprietary one Microsoft sells. Install any previous gen game to it and keep the internal drive strictly for current gen games. You'll still get massively improved loading times for back compat games while paying a fraction of the cost for the storage.

Also, as everyone else says, GamePass will be the only "game" you need for a long time.

MaiorZero

Jul 23, 2022
Poland
Sell it and buy Series X.

/jk

Just get game pass, download some games you interested in or want to play. Have o good time. XSS is a great console, worth its price. You have access to hunreds of games.

Protpis.

1. Buy an extrenal HDD to storage your games.

2. I don't from where are you from. In Ikea they have great cheap rechargable batteries. They can last long even if you are playing everyday.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
If there were any games last gen that you felt you would have enjoyed with better performance, I would look them up. Many backwards compatible games show that they are optimized for next gen but even those without an indicator could have an FPS boost. For example Far Cry 5: I was getting 25-30 FPS on Xbox One but running on S it gives me up to 60.

Games Featuring FPS Boost

FPS Boost is a feature employing a variety of new methods for nearly doubling the original framerate on select titles.