• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Between here and /r/Freefolk I'm starting to get the impression these D&D characters aren't well liked.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the way the fandom treats it the OT is the sacred literature. The rest plays out like various religious schisms

It's nuts, because there are ten Star Wars movies, and it really seems like MAYBE two of them get a majority positive opinion these days. Every ranking thread, which is silly anyway, is full of people who hate Jedi, hate all the prequels, hate one or both sequels, and hate the two side stories.

And actually, more and more (especially among younger people), ANH is "too slow paced and antiquated" or something similar, and ESB is "problematic" etc.

Everyone hates Star Wars, and yet is simultaneously worried that it's about to be Ruined Forever.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The issue isn't that d and d are just bad writers, they're pretty fucking clueless when it comes to sexism, racism, homophobia and rape. Glad that's pointed out in the OP but people will continue to misrepresent it. So yeah not looking forward to it.

Oct 31, 2017
David "Themes are for eighth grade book reports" Benioff and D. B. Weiss are talentless hacks who have failed upwards their entire careers and can fuck off from Star Wars. Maybe Lucasfilm should support some of that diversity they're always talking about by hiring a woman or person of color instead of two mediocre white men who are responsible for some of the most racist and misogynist garbage to appear on a television screen in the last decade.

I'm at work so I can't get into it like I'd like and I know being critical of Kathleen Kennedy is like opening a can of worms but she really does seem like a regular Hollywood gatekeeper that just pays lip service to diversity, to me.

She's produced all these movies but how many have poc writers, directors or main characters?

Can you imagine there are people that actually think Star Wars has the best diverse representation of all big budget sci-fi productions?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'm not going to boycott the movies if they turn out to be good but I'm a lot less excited for them after seeing what D&D have done with this material.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They seemed like a good choice at first glance until the fan-implosion in this last season, I dont watch the show but the fallout has been interesting to watch. Reading through these two guy's additions to the GOT lore, I dont think they fit well with Star Wars. It's never too late to change course, but after TLJ I think Disney is concerned about fan reactions and seeing the backlash to this season of GOT has got to make them at least a little apprehensive. This isn't a Book of Henry situation exactly, but it's probably just as risky when you are talking about pre-planning 5-10 years of Star Wars media

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect every star wars movie after the current trilogy is over to be garbage. This has nothing to do with who is making it, i just don't believe something as unexpectedly good as episode 7 and 8 can last into the future.

I think that Confederacy show sounded massively in poor taste, but i dont really feel like their work on thrones has been harmful or ill intentioned. There have been a few missteps, but overall i don't come out of this thinking poorly of them.

I totally get that this is about more than last night's episode, but u gotta consider it really does look that way when you post a thread like this directly after the episode

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
The issue isn't that d and d are just bad writers, they're pretty fucking clueless when it comes to sexism, racism, homophobia and rape. Glad that's pointed out in the OP but people will continue to misrepresent it. So yeah not looking forward to it.

If the issue was the rampant bigotry in GoT then people like the OP would have checked out a few seasons ago. Some people were seemingly quite happy to support a show that was full of sexism, homophobia and bigotry for years, but it was the last episode that sent them off the deep end. Which makes me think that the real issue is how some characters' stories have turned out...

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeeah they can keep that fuckin Confederates show.

If the Star Wars movie look/turn out good, I'll consider it.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the issue was the rampant bigotry in GoT then people like the OP would have checked out a few seasons ago. Some people were seemingly quite happy to support a show that was full of sexism, homophobia and bigotry for years, but it was the last episode that sent them off the deep end. Which makes me think that the real issue is how some characters' stories have turned out...

I've been criticizing the show's treatment of women and PoC, as well as their generally shitty writing, for years; you can criticize something and still watch it.

In fact, here's an abridged history of me complaining about D&D:

May 1, 2019
March 5, 2019
February 19, 2019
January 30, 2019
October 23, 2018
March 28, 2018
March 27, 2018

And here's me on February 6, 2018, the day D&D were announced to be doing Star Wars, arguing against their hiring.

Thank you for playing, I award you no points.

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
I've been criticizing the show's treatment of women and PoC, as well as their generally shitty writing, for years; you can criticize something and still watch it.

May 1, 2019
March 5, 2019
February 19, 2019
January 30, 2019
October 23, 2018
March 28, 2018

And here's me on February 6, 2018, the day D&D were announced to be doing Star Wars, arguing against their hiring.

So what was it about yesterday's episode that was so awful that's made you swear off the writers' future work, when you were previously willing to tolerate their supposed bigotry?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

May 1, 2019
March 5, 2019
February 19, 2019
January 30, 2019
October 23, 2018
March 28, 2018

Fucking savage. I love it.

So what was it about yesterday's episode that was so awful that's made you swear off the writers' future work, when you were previously willing to tolerate their supposed bigotry?
Making a thread about it does not equate to all of a sudden feeling this way.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

May 1, 2019
March 5, 2019
February 19, 2019
January 30, 2019
October 23, 2018
March 28, 2018
March 27, 2018

none of those posts tackle the issues you are tackling now, so i dont think they are "gotcha" thing you think they are.

being honest most of them are vapid drive by posts.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Book: Euron is raiding/invading Tyrell lands while the main royal fleet is besieging Dragonstone, which Cersei refuses to free up until the island is taken. Loras leads a heroic desperate (but successful) assault on Dragonstone and gets severely wounded in the process.

Show: Loras repents for committing the sin of homosexuality in a plotline that he's not even involved in in the books.

It's not even about being a stickler to the books. It's about replacing a heroic knight who happens to be gay into a victim whose only characteristic is being gay.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not into Star Wars, but I don't blame you. I'll never watch anything they're a part of in the future after GoT.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't seem like good writers and I'd prefer they put the movies in more certain hands. But if they make a movie and the critics say it's good, I'll watch it. I'm not going to die on that hill.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Not into Star Wars, but I don't blame you. I'll never watch anything they're a part of in the future after GoT.
But what if it's good though.

That's why these topics are hilarious to me. Plenty of TV/movie writers have written shitty stuff and also written amazing stuff. D&D did some great episodes of Thrones even (Season 6 anyone?). People saying they'll never watch their stuff because they disliked some of their Thrones episodes is a bit much.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Understandable honestly, but maaaaan I thought the myriad of Star Wars thread was something but this past week has been ridiculous with GoT threads.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is getting ridiculous. They've got big problems that need to be addressed, including better representation and more progressive content and awareness, but are people legitimately saying they're boycotting all of the products they're involved in? Does that include not watching the GoT finale next week?

Lucasfilm need to make sure there's a strong line up of women and PoC to write and direct though. They've failed miserably in that regard.

I get being upset that LF chose more white guys to helm a SW project (it pisses me off too, reflecting on the folks who have wrote and directed SW movies/shows since the Disney sale), there's no excuse for not having a diverse group of people that high up. But boycotting (especially conveniently after one of the more controversial characterizations in GoT history) is absurd.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agreed, BDS. It's disheartening — to say the least — that Kathleen Kennedy's LucasFilms and Disney, despite an ostensible commitment to diversity, have hired yet more straight white male writer-directors for Star Wars films, which have never had anything else. To make matters much worse, as you say, D&D have a longstanding history of being extraordinarily ignorant, writing material that's misogynistic, racist, and homophobic (probably because Game of Thrones has a similar dearth of minority voices among its almost entirely white male writers and directors).

It's also telling that so many posts in here are people who refuse to engage or even read the OP, blanketly dismissing any concerns. Era is far from as progressive as some would suggest. People can't stand for those uppity women, PoC, or queer folks being critical of their television.

Let's list some things off the top of my head:

Homophobia:
  • Inserting violent homophobia into Faith of the Seven where there is none on the books. In fact, Westerosi culture as a whole isn't particularly homophobic, except insofar as feudal primogeniture demands noble sons marry noble daughters. (Actual homosexual relationships are fine and accepted!)
  • Omitting most LGBT+ book characters, many of whom were meaningful or easy to include.
    • Not only were most homosexual men in the books as martially capable as their heterosexual counterparts, whether masculine or feminine, but Jon's squire Satin serves as a welcome example of Jon being indiscriminate (and, if you want to read into it, perhaps not heterosexual himself).
  • Turning the only included homosexual book characters — Renly and Loras — into one-dimensional stereotypical caricatures. In the books, they're both quite three-dimensional, in many ways ideals of Westerosi martialism and masculinity, and also one of the healthiest couples in the novels.
    • To further expand on that: Renly is a vaunted tournament participant, who looks identical to Robert in his youth, who was described as "muscled like a maiden's fancy."
      • In the show, he's a gay stereotype who's... afraid of blood. One of their introductory scenes is literally them shaving each other's bodies.
    • Loras in the books, meanwhile, is consistently compared to a youthful Jaime Lannister. He's one of the most talented swordsmen in the realm, with a rash temper. When Renly dies, he joins the Kingsguard — a celibate order — because "when the sun has set, no mere candle can replace it."
      • In the show, he's even more effete and effeminate than Renly. We almost never see him with a sword in-hand. He doesn't join the Kingsguard after Renly's death, and in fact starts whoring around immediately after. (Because gay people are promiscuous! Duh!) He discusses wedding planning with Sansa, lol.
Racism:
  • Daenerys' infamous white savior crowd surfing on a crowd of 100% people of color.
    • In the books, slavery is more akin to the Roman variety, irrespective of skin color.
  • Going into none of the depth of the Meereenese politics.
  • Missandei's Shock Value death. Not only did only her being captured make no sense, but they had her — an ex-slave — symbolically put back in chains for her execution.
    • Relatedly, I can't wait to see how these chucklefucks handle Confedereate. That they want to tackle a scenario of "What If American Slavery Still Existed?" says a lot about them.
  • Tyrion inexplicably assuming the Unsullied soldiers didn't speak Common last night. When he's been around them for years now.
  • Turning the Sand Snakes into stereotypical exotic caricatures, when they were each racially diverse in the books, representative of Oberyn's equal opportunity sexual relations. (By the way, Book!Oberyn is bisexual too, but that was also not included — in fact, in the show he assumes Varys is gay based on... I guess, stereotypes!)
  • Omitting various characters of color from the books.
    • Whitewashing some of their roles, such as turning Chataya and Alayaya into... Ros.
Misogyny:
  • Innumerable instances of gratuitous rape.
    • Including various scenes where the women being raped have their faces off-screen, removing their humanity.
  • Innumerable instances of dehumanizing sexposition aimed to titillate male audience members using Male Gaze, at the expense of female audience members.
  • The idea that "powerful women" are toxically masculinized violent women, or otherwise cynical ice queens. By extension, several female characters were more-or-less ruined, turned into opposites of their book counterparts:
    • Brienne, the soft-hearted, deeply empathetic, and chivalrous young woman was turned into someone who frequently bullied Podrick, and demonstrated disdain for femininity. In the books, she isn't disdainful of femininity at all — she's equal parts Lady of Tarth and a True Knight.
    • Sansa's strength in the books is not only her intelligence, but her resolute commitment to kindness and goodness in the face of cynicism. "If I am ever queen, I will make them love me." Instead of "learning from Cersei" (gross), Book!Sansa is an indictment of Cersei's internalized misogyny — a demonstration that Cersei is wrong, that kindness isn't stupid, that it wins.
    • Arya in the books envies Sansa's femininity, she doesn't condemn or mock it. She never calls girls or feminine pursuits "weak" or "stupid" as she does in the show. (She calls Sansa stupid in a bout of sisterly rivalry, but that's very different.) Let's look at a quote from the books:
      • "The Lannisters are proud," Jon observed. "You'd think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother's House equal in honor to the king's."

"The woman is important too!" Arya protested.
  • The idea that women in proximity must behave bitchily toward one another. Last season it was Sansa and Arya catfighting, this season it's been Sansa and Daenerys.
  • The idea this season that Emotional Women must be rationalized/condescended to by Reasonable (read: stupid) Men.
    • See: the double standard applied to Daenerys and Jon Snow.
      • Show!Daenerys has never actually demonstrated much propensity for madness (let's forget that the actual Mad King's descent into insanity took many years with sometimes justified paranoia). She has years of actual ruling experience. Yet, characters like Varys and Tyrion warp their prior characterization (remember Varys' "Fire and Blood" declaration to Olenna?) to insist she's crazy — when her last action was to put aside her southerly war and go North to save the realm.
      • Show!Jon, meanwhile, has demonstrated nothing but stupidity lately (don't get me started on the show's thesis that Good/Honor = Stupid — complete opposite of the books), yet Varys immediately decides he's a better ruler than Daenerys, literally because he has a penis.
    • See: Tyrion inexplicably appealing to Cersei's motherly emotions when we — and Tyrion — have seen ad nauseam by now that Cersei is insane and consumed by power.
  • After having the Hound make a gross comment to Sansa referring to her rape as being "broken in," the show has Sansa literally say she wouldn't be where she is now without her abuses/abusers.
    • For the people in the back: RAPE AND ABUSE ARE NOT EMPOWERING. ABUSERS DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR INSTILLING STRENGTH IN THEIR VICTIMS. SANSA DID NOT GLEAN STRENGTH OR POLITICAL CANNINESS FROM HER ABUSES — SHE ALREADY HAD THEM.
And this is just a cursory write-up. I'm undoubtedly missing countless examples of these showrunners' ignorant malfeasance.

And I thought I was the only one who could spend a bunch of time carefully eviscerating the show,

Bravo. You said it all, I have nothing to add.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RJ and D&D being in charge of upcoming SW films guarantees that I won't be watching any SW in the next decade or so.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick to death of Star Wars, but even if I wasn't, I would absolutely not watch D&D's take on the universe. Their unbridled cynicism is so exhausting.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not a fan of these guys and their writing - I bailed out of GoT one episode into season 5 when things started going even further off the rails - so I was never happy about them being hired for Star Wars. I mean, sure, maybe they'll pull off something good, who knows? But there are so many better options out there, Disney was clearly chasing whoever's popular at the time.

I gotta say this OP is fantastic and comprehensive though! It's crazy to see everything they screwed up laid out in detail.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
But what if it's good though.

That's why these topics are hilarious to me. Plenty of TV/movie writers have written shitty stuff and also written amazing stuff. D&D did some great episodes of Thrones even (Season 6 anyone?). People saying they'll never watch their stuff because they disliked some of their Thrones episodes is a bit much.
Plenty of other things I can watch instead, not going to waste my time supporting them anymore after they ruined one franchise.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for white men being the main characters and heroes in Confederate!

It's going to be such a train wreck.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Disney already killed Star Wars. None of the movies under their umbrella have been very good. And the EU doesn't exist anymore because they killed it. All of it.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
LOL there's no chance in hell I'm watching these after the cautionary tale that is GoT.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agreed, BDS. It's disheartening — to say the least — that Kathleen Kennedy's LucasFilms and Disney, despite an ostensible commitment to diversity, have hired yet more straight white male writer-directors for Star Wars films, which have never had anything else. To make matters much worse, as you say, D&D have a longstanding history of being extraordinarily ignorant, writing material that's misogynistic, racist, and homophobic (probably because Game of Thrones has a similar dearth of minority voices among its almost entirely white male writers and directors).

It's also telling that so many posts in here are people who refuse to engage or even read the OP, blanketly dismissing any concerns. Era is far from as progressive as some would suggest. People can't stand for those uppity women, PoC, or queer folks being critical of their television.

Let's list some things off the top of my head:

Homophobia:
  • Inserting violent homophobia into Faith of the Seven where there is none on the books. In fact, Westerosi culture as a whole isn't particularly homophobic, except insofar as feudal primogeniture demands noble sons marry noble daughters. (Actual homosexual relationships are fine and accepted!)
  • Omitting most LGBT+ book characters, many of whom were meaningful or easy to include.
    • Not only were most homosexual men in the books as martially capable as their heterosexual counterparts, whether masculine or feminine, but Jon's squire Satin serves as a welcome example of Jon being indiscriminate (and, if you want to read into it, perhaps not heterosexual himself).
  • Turning the only included homosexual book characters — Renly and Loras — into one-dimensional stereotypical caricatures. In the books, they're both quite three-dimensional, in many ways ideals of Westerosi martialism and masculinity, and also one of the healthiest couples in the novels.
    • To further expand on that: Renly is a vaunted tournament participant, who looks identical to Robert in his youth, who was described as "muscled like a maiden's fancy."
      • In the show, he's a gay stereotype who's... afraid of blood. One of their introductory scenes is literally them shaving each other's bodies.
    • Loras in the books, meanwhile, is consistently compared to a youthful Jaime Lannister. He's one of the most talented swordsmen in the realm, with a rash temper. When Renly dies, he joins the Kingsguard — a celibate order — because "when the sun has set, no mere candle can replace it."
      • In the show, he's even more effete and effeminate than Renly. We almost never see him with a sword in-hand. He doesn't join the Kingsguard after Renly's death, and in fact starts whoring around immediately after. (Because gay people are promiscuous! Duh!) He discusses wedding planning with Sansa, lol.
Racism:
  • Daenerys' infamous white savior crowd surfing on a crowd of 100% people of color.
    • In the books, slavery is more akin to the Roman variety, irrespective of skin color.
  • Going into none of the depth of the Meereenese politics.
  • Missandei's Shock Value death. Not only did only her being captured make no sense, but they had her — an ex-slave — symbolically put back in chains for her execution.
    • Relatedly, I can't wait to see how these chucklefucks handle Confedereate. That they want to tackle a scenario of "What If American Slavery Still Existed?" says a lot about them.
  • Tyrion inexplicably assuming the Unsullied soldiers didn't speak Common last night. When he's been around them for years now.
  • Turning the Sand Snakes into stereotypical exotic caricatures, when they were each racially diverse in the books, representative of Oberyn's equal opportunity sexual relations. (By the way, Book!Oberyn is bisexual too, but that was also not included — in fact, in the show he assumes Varys is gay based on... I guess, stereotypes!)
  • Omitting various characters of color from the books.
    • Whitewashing some of their roles, such as turning Chataya and Alayaya into... Ros.
Misogyny:
  • Innumerable instances of gratuitous rape.
    • Including various scenes where the women being raped have their faces off-screen, removing their humanity.
  • Innumerable instances of dehumanizing sexposition aimed to titillate male audience members using Male Gaze, at the expense of female audience members.
  • The idea that "powerful women" are toxically masculinized violent women, or otherwise cynical ice queens. By extension, several female characters were more-or-less ruined, turned into opposites of their book counterparts:
    • Brienne, the soft-hearted, deeply empathetic, and chivalrous young woman was turned into someone who frequently bullied Podrick, and demonstrated disdain for femininity. In the books, she isn't disdainful of femininity at all — she's equal parts Lady of Tarth and a True Knight.
    • Sansa's strength in the books is not only her intelligence, but her resolute commitment to kindness and goodness in the face of cynicism. "If I am ever queen, I will make them love me." Instead of "learning from Cersei" (gross), Book!Sansa is an indictment of Cersei's internalized misogyny — a demonstration that Cersei is wrong, that kindness isn't stupid, that it wins.
    • Arya in the books envies Sansa's femininity, she doesn't condemn or mock it. She never calls girls or feminine pursuits "weak" or "stupid" as she does in the show. (She calls Sansa stupid in a bout of sisterly rivalry, but that's very different.) Let's look at a quote from the books:
      • "The Lannisters are proud," Jon observed. "You'd think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother's House equal in honor to the king's."

"The woman is important too!" Arya protested.
  • The idea that women in proximity must behave bitchily toward one another. Last season it was Sansa and Arya catfighting, this season it's been Sansa and Daenerys.
  • The idea this season that Emotional Women must be rationalized/condescended to by Reasonable (read: stupid) Men.
    • See: the double standard applied to Daenerys and Jon Snow.
      • Show!Daenerys has never actually demonstrated much propensity for madness (let's forget that the actual Mad King's descent into insanity took many years with sometimes justified paranoia). She has years of actual ruling experience. Yet, characters like Varys and Tyrion warp their prior characterization (remember Varys' "Fire and Blood" declaration to Olenna?) to insist she's crazy — when her last action was to put aside her southerly war and go North to save the realm.
      • Show!Jon, meanwhile, has demonstrated nothing but stupidity lately (don't get me started on the show's thesis that Good/Honor = Stupid — complete opposite of the books), yet Varys immediately decides he's a better ruler than Daenerys, literally because he has a penis.
    • See: Tyrion inexplicably appealing to Cersei's motherly emotions when we — and Tyrion — have seen ad nauseam by now that Cersei is insane and consumed by power.
  • After having the Hound make a gross comment to Sansa referring to her rape as being "broken in," the show has Sansa literally say she wouldn't be where she is now without her abuses/abusers.
    • For the people in the back: RAPE AND ABUSE ARE NOT EMPOWERING. ABUSERS DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR INSTILLING STRENGTH IN THEIR VICTIMS. SANSA DID NOT GLEAN STRENGTH OR POLITICAL CANNINESS FROM HER ABUSES — SHE ALREADY HAD THEM.
And this is just a cursory write-up. I'm undoubtedly missing countless examples of these showrunners' ignorant malfeasance.

Post of the thread. Well done.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought his point was more that if you couldn't bring yourself to bail on a fantasy television show that has been bad-to-mediocre for years, then you probably won't be able to abstain from watching cinematic Star Wars content.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you watch a Star Wars film by the Emmy winning writing team of David Benioff and D.B. Weiss? Man, it's your lost.

Agree with OP. I'm glad people is finally realizing they suck real bad.

Oct 31, 2017
This is getting ridiculous. They've got big problems that need to be addressed, including better representation and more progressive content and awareness, but are people legitimately saying they're boycotting all of the products they're involved in? Does that include not watching the GoT finale next week?

Lucasfilm need to make sure there's a strong line up of women and PoC to write and direct though. They've failed miserably in that regard.

I get being upset that LF chose more white guys to helm a SW project (it pisses me off too, reflecting on the folks who have wrote and directed SW movies/shows since the Disney sale), there's no excuse for not having a diverse group of people that high up. But boycotting (especially conveniently after one of the more controversial characterizations in GoT history) is absurd.

I've never watched GoT and probably never will but people refusing to watch certain content from specific creators isn't a boycott; that's just not watching something from creators you're not interested in or in this case have actively turned people off their work, which is super reasonable.

It's not like I'm boycotting dog shit because I don't want to eat it.

Even if someone did actually organize a full blown boycott against these guys and their Star Wars trilogy; their last original idea was a very offensive "what if black people were still enslaved" fantasy they dreamt up during the trump era; anyone actually boycotting their work would also be being reasonable.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Disney already killed Star Wars. None of the movies under their umbrella have been very good. And the EU doesn't exist anymore because they killed it. All of it.
tenor.gif