• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
some ghost kitchens are started by local restaurant owners who want to appeal more towards the delivery stuff without changing their own restaurant model

some are chains that sell a business model to places, like kits and supplies

this is a piece about Wow Bao that dates almost a full year ago

Wow Bao Launches First-of-Its-Kind Off-Premises Strategy | QSR magazine
Those are in the far minority and don't really count as ghost kitchens because they are upfront about their locations & easily identified.

The majority of ghost kitchens actively hide their locations and brand names so no one can figure it out.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
some ghost kitchens are started by local restaurant owners who want to appeal more towards the delivery stuff without changing their own restaurant model

some are chains that sell a business model to places, like kits and supplies

this is a piece about Wow Bao that dates almost a full year ago

Wow Bao Launches First-of-Its-Kind Off-Premises Strategy | QSR magazine
I just had Wow Bao for the first time like two weeks ago. It was edible, but nah never again. The Baos were fine but the entrees were meh.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like someone made a big old mud pie and took too small a slice of toilet paper. You should eat the receipt to find out for sure.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Sounds like someone made a big old mud pie and took too small a slice of toilet paper. You should eat the receipt to find out for sure.
Lol hell yea, love that skit.
What could go wrong?
I mean it's not amazing sushi but I order from them all the time. The worst that's happened is cold udon.

8 piece eel avocado roll for $5.50, a small tempura udon for $4. It's pretty rad.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Those are in the far minority and don't really count as ghost kitchens because they are upfront about their locations & easily identified.

The majority of ghost kitchens actively hide their locations and brand names so no one can figure it out.
i mean, when i look up wow bao on my grubhub app it doesn't tell me it's a ghost kitchen, or that it's being prepared out of an Outback Steakhouse or what-have-you

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

is that Goldie from Rock-A-Doodle?

A recolor with very minor editing, yes.
tumblr_pm1yhuxJjN1vq8dbq_1280.jpg

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost kitchens are super sketch. It would be one thing to have a separate brand solely focused on deliveries "Chicken Fiesta by Chic Fil A" but that's not what they do. They deserve 1-star reviews for eroding consumer trust.

Like fam I don't want IHOP food. I would not order from IHOP when given reasonable information to make an informed decision.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I don´t order from anywhere unless I know the place. There are some shady and filthy people out there.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Not feeling the ghost kitchen thing to be honest. There's so many that have popped up in even my average sized town, but they all basically offer the same thing. I figured it was a way to cut down on costs and increase business, but they're all just as expensive as the regular options, if not more so. Why would I order likely mediocre grub at a higher price with a name picked out of a hat over something I already know I like? And why does my town need 10 "different" new wing joints at the same time (obviously this is going to be mostly fryer fare so cooks don't have to learn anything new and complicated)?

I was hoping it would allow me to experience more diverse kinds of food that might not be readily available where I live operating out of a small warehouse space somewhere instead of the kitchens of the corporate entities we already know for serving substandard food.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really understand how people are so trusting of their food, i never order delivery because i'm not gonna eat something thats been in multiple hands. Very rarely I order pickup for anything that is too easy to undercook or taint. Pizza generally is fine since its in the oven for a long ass time and then put in a box and I go pick it up, but pretty much everything else i'll just make at home.

28% of delivery drivers have admitted to sampling the food sometimes
www.newsweek.com

More than 25% of Delivery Drivers Taste Customer's Food Before Dropping Off

"We're sorry to report that sometimes, impulse gets the best of deliverers, and they violate their sacred duty by taking some of the food."

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
i don't really understand how people are so trusting of their food, i never order delivery because i'm not gonna eat something thats been in multiple hands. Very rarely I order pickup for anything that is too easy to undercook or taint. Pizza generally is fine since its in the oven for a long ass time and then put in a box and I go pick it up, but pretty much everything else i'll just make at home.

www.newsweek.com

"We're sorry to report that sometimes, impulse gets the best of deliverers, and they violate their sacred duty by taking some of the food."
Most places around here tie or staple the bag shut. I feel you though, it's not fool proof and it bothers me when they don't do it.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same happening in the UK on deliveroo and Uber Eats. Ive been avoiding them.
Deliveroo and Uber Eats are huge pile of fucking ass. I've not even dealt with them myself but every single person I know who's used it locally got food that was cold half an hour ago. A driver came to a restaurant I was picking up some food from and had to wait all lf 10 seconds so he hopped in the car and lit up. Came back 10 minutes later to a cold bag of food and a chewing out. I'd rather just order and pick it up myself as I can get it done cheaper, better and faster too.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the drivers who probably sick of getting shit all pay. I know people who drive for them too. The entire business model just doesn't work.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

www.newsweek.com

Order UberEats, Door Dash like...4 times in my life? yeah Im not super trusting nor want to support how exploitive the business is. Order directly from the business or just pick it up myself.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have mad respect for the ghost kitchen in my town that sold Totino's Pizza rolls 8 for $3

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Slice is a really good pizza app, they just order the pizza for you and the restaurants delivery driver drops it off and all tips go to the driver.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got really sick from a non-ghost-kitchen once. Thought I was going to die.
Regulations should be the same for them if they aren't.

Nov 17, 2017
Damn, I've never heard of this ghost kitchen thing before. It sounds messed up. I learned a long time ago only to order from places I know anyway cause I've definitely ordered from some iffy places in the past that sent bad food. Maybe they were ghost kitchens.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
fuck ghost kitchens, if i dont like your food, i want to blacklist you forever.

if i got Denny's, ohhh boy i hate them, they always end with me in the bathroom hating my life.

dunno why you would order from a ghost kitchen, i only order from places ive seen.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Outback by my place is doing a ghost kitchen type thing, but it is under the parent brand of Outback so it is like a sister restaurant-ghost kitchen. I have a feeling it probably has better QC than the versions we're talking about in this thread as it has to adhere to basic health codes and corporate food standards that Bloomin' Brands has for all their various restaurant concepts. It is chicken, but our location is one of the few test sites Bloomin' Brands has going right now to see if there is enough desire to take it nationwide at which time I'm guessing it would follow the same model as being housed in an existing Outback for delivery only.

Oct 28, 2017
Outback by my place is doing a ghost kitchen type thing, but it is under the parent brand of Outback so it is like a sister restaurant-ghost kitchen. I have a feeling it probably has better QC than the versions we're talking about in this thread as it has to adhere to basic health codes and corporate food standards that Bloomin' Brands has for all their various restaurant concepts. It is chicken, but our location is one of the few test sites Bloomin' Brands has going right now to see if there is enough desire to take it nationwide at which time I'm guessing it would follow the same model as being housed in an existing Outback for delivery only.
Yeah, completely different having legitimate brands, I feel I could trust them enough but still don't want it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I see a number of these in the Dallas area. Have to be careful. Some are at least more upfront about it, but it's still weird. Just yesterday I was browsing on DoorDash and Rotisserie Roast popped up, which is really Boston Market. The pricing was hilarious too. $15 for a half chicken, a salad, and one side. Versus it usually being around $11 for a half chicken under the Boston Market brand with two sides you get to pick.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I ordered from It's Just Wings and realized from the DoorDash map that it was just Chili's being sneaky, my wife and I now call them Deception Wings.
I work there, It's actually good wings and curly fries (you can tell because the managers are extremely anal about the workers eating a single fry) but the problem is that it's run out of the fried food station which is already popular with normal Chili's orders. The managers ain't gonna hire someone else to meet the increased volume of orders on that side and the cook isn't getting a pay raise for the extra work either, you just end up some poor overworked guy having to make 2x the food.

To-go people also don't tips from doordash drivers, it's just pure profit for the company and no one else.

Oct 27, 2017
I got that "flavor town" ghost kitchen and it was fire. Made better by the fact my door dash guy asked, who ordered a one way ticket to flavor town, when I greeted him

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao, so got ghost chicken from a ghost kitchen. We need to go deeper.

Yea I don't doubt there are good ones, but in a setup like that with two dozen people in a small building I really worry about cleanliness.

Back to Dave's Hot Chicken for me, there are only 3 stores atm but they are awesome.
Dave's is good. Obviously Howlin is best, but I am a big fan of Main Chick too. If you haven't tried them, you should. I like it more than Dave's.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Dave's is good. Obviously Howlin is best, but I am a big fan of Main Chick too. If you haven't tried them, you should. I like it more than Dave's.
Yea I've been wanting to try Howlin Rays forever but I'm in North Hollywood and none of the apps will deliver it. I'll definitely try it when I get my second shot. I've never heard of Main Chick, I'll check that out.

It's not close but when I go to Santa Monica I usually stop in Culver City for Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken. I'm relatively new to LA though, moved here in 2018 and I haven't explored enough. I'm a theme park nerd so most days off I went straight to Disney or another park lol.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is a "Burgerden" showing up on my apps that is just the Dennys down the road lmao.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
These are all over Postmates here and it's really annoying. You can tell exactly which ones they are because they have "cute" names with puns in them. They use fake marketing photos of their food and what you order looks nothing like it. Scummy.

Deleted member 93805

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Are these ghost kitchens able to dodge hygiene/sanitary inspections carried out by the county or what?

Edit: Stop using these delivery services that take a big cut from local business btw lol just go put some clothes on and get your damn food.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
Doesn't Applebee's or Chilli's have a well regarded wing chain that's a ghost kitchen?

Not saying they can't be sketchy btw. It's just weird to think about lol.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
These are all over Postmates here and it's really annoying. You can tell exactly which ones they are because they have "cute" names with puns in them. They use fake marketing photos of their food and what you order looks nothing like it. Scummy.
I know exactly what you mean, now that I know it seems more obvious. And when it hits midnight and all the sudden a restaurant is on the front page you've never seen before, it's a trap!

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Doesn't Applebee's or Chilli's have a well regarded wing chain that's a ghost kitchen?

Not saying they can't be sketchy btw. It's just weird to think about lol.
Yea, I'd say those are much safer bets as they have a real kitchen, real safety standards, probably signs in the bathroom that say to wash your damn hands lmao.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've... never heard of this before. So it's basically a restaurant pretending to be another restaurant that serves food really similar to a competitor to get people to buy from them instead? Is that right?

It's becoming popular in Corona era because these big chain restaurants have lost a lot of business. So basically a ghost kitchen is just a separate concept menu housed in the same kitchen, disguised as it's own restaurant with a unique name; despite the fact an Applebee's could be housing 10 or so of these "kitchens" at the same time. It's just a marketing gimmick to get people to buy more food and to also remove the brand stank people associate with these chain restaurants. Even if the ghost kitchen was developed by some other chef or entity, it's still likely coming out of the chain restaurant and cooked by the same cooks.