• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If Harmonix is still actively supporting Rock Band 4 with weekly DLC, why on earth are they not working to re-release instruments? Obviously they think there is enough interest for DLC. What good is the DLC if you can't bring in new players?
DLC can be fairly easily made in-house and is distributed through online platforms. That's way less work-intensive and cheaper than mass producing new instruments and somehow finding a distributor that releases them worldwide. MadCatz is no longer involved with Rock Band and it's probably pretty unlikely that they would suddenly jump into the plastic instrument business again.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Harmonix is still actively supporting Rock Band 4 with weekly DLC, why on earth are they not working to re-release instruments? Obviously they think there is enough interest for DLC. What good is the DLC if you can't bring in new players?

It sank MadCatz and PDP lost a lot of money apparently. A lot of instrument went unsold for a while.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure trying to find manufacturers is difficult when the initial run of the game helped put the company that made the instruments out if business.

Even the PDP instruments that came after weren't all that great.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I learned something today. Well, that sucks.

Yeah it's unfortunate.

I wish Harmonix would implement the ability to assign a controller as an instrument instead of using a dedicated device for it. This would let those adapters that allow you use controllers from other systems to work across both Xbox/PlayStation, making it easier to find instrument and use old equipment.

Unfortunately those adapters are seen as "controllers" by Rock Band 4 instead of a "guitar/drumset". Guitar Hero used to let you use a controller instead of a guitar and that would've helped in this case. So it's possible, but I don't see Harmonix doing it.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
There is A LOT of misinformation here.

Getting your exports is easy. The only caveat is that you need to have already redeemed them because they're all unavailable for purchase now.

All of your previous DLC is immediately available to you, there's no real "hoops" outside of downloading them.

No adapters are needed on PS4/5 for PS3 instruments outside of any dongles that they came with originally.

Sony already said any cross-buy stuff (which all pre-RB4 dlc is) will still be available.
I guess I'm approaching this with the idea that someone is starting new right now. Having had to previously buy and redeem your exports is in my opinion not that easy to do if you haven't already done it--it's literally impossible if you haven't already done it. At least on 360 you can just buy the old discs to play those songs. Beatles is actually completely delisted for example and doesn't carry over to current gen, all that DLC is gone too.

No adapters are needed... if you already have them? You do need special MIDI adapters to hook up real drums to PS4/5 if I recall correctly, which are so expensive that they are being custom made by fans.

For someone starting out right now I think 360 makes the most sense... just my opinion though. Other platforms lock you out of the songs you most likely remember from back in the day, if you haven't already redeemed DLC/imports from old gens. And to be honest, the RB4 track list kinda sucks compared to any of RB1, 2, or 3.

I do appreciate you chiming in however, I am still learning about all this.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Does Clone Hero work with a E-Drum? I REALLY miss the drums, and I think I want to buy a E-Drum if it works on CH and hell, maybe learn for real.

(I do think the drums in RB are the closest to a real, if extremelly simple, drum experience)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Your options are:

- Get a PS3/Xbox360 with the instruments and older games
- Get Rock Band 4 for PS4/Xbox One with the Instruments
- Use Clone Hero on PC

Pro Tip: If you have the instrument of the PS3/360 era, most of them are compatible within the same family of consoles for Rock Band 4. Be aware that for the Xbox One you need an adapter.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Your options are:

- Get a PS3/Xbox360 with the instruments and older games
- Get Rock Band 4 for PS4/Xbox One with the Instruments
- Use Clone Hero on PC

Pro Tip: If you have the instrument of the PS3/360 era, most of them are compatible within the same family of consoles for Rock Band 4. Be aware that for the Xbox One you need an adapter.

Apparently the Pro instruments only work with RB3?

Edit: im seeing the fender mustang pro guitar all over and its cheap as hell. 30 to 60 dollars. If it only works with RB3 that might explain it.

Last edited:

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Do not get Guitar Hero Live, I cannot stress this enough. Besides the weird new control scheme, they also tried their hand at having the main body of the game being some weird live service streaming thing and those servers have been turned off for years. So even if you manage to find Guitar Hero Live, you're basically paying for less than half of the game as it was on release.

I second this. Guitar Hero Live with GHTV (the live streaming service component) was actually pretty cool, but once they took the GHTV servers you are left with an absolutely awful 45 song track list and the corny FMV stuff and I don't think the community ever really adopted much for GH Live guitar charting.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm approaching this with the idea that someone is starting new right now. Having had to previously buy and redeem your exports is in my opinion not that easy to do if you haven't already done it--it's literally impossible if you haven't already done it. At least on 360 you can just buy the old discs to play those songs. Beatles is actually completely delisted for example and doesn't carry over to current gen, all that DLC is gone too.

No adapters are needed... if you already have them? You do need special MIDI adapters to hook up real drums to PS4/5 if I recall correctly, which are so expensive that they are being custom made by fans.

For someone starting out right now I think 360 makes the most sense... just my opinion though. Other platforms lock you out of the songs you most likely remember from back in the day, if you haven't already redeemed DLC/imports from old gens. And to be honest, the RB4 track list kinda sucks compared to any of RB1, 2, or 3.

I do appreciate you chiming in however, I am still learning about all this.
I'll hit each point.

Yes, none of the exports are available at this point. There are some songs from those exports that Harmonix made available as DLC for RB4 (a list is in my OT that someone linked towards the end of the previous page), but yes, if you want to play, say, Green Grass and High Tides or Panic Attack, you would need to play them in their respective games if you did not redeem your export codes before they expired 5 years ago.

There's a difference between adapters and dongles. PS3 instruments required a wireless dongle that came with the instrument to connect to the PS3, whereas 360 instruments were able to connect directly to a 360. To use a PS3 instrument on PS4/5, you just need that dongle, no adapters of any kind. The lone exception of course is if you wanted to use a real ekit, which requires the midi pro adapter, which you would have needed to use on a PS3 as well. To use 360 instruments on an Xbox One/Series, you need a wireless legacy adapter in order to allow you instruments to connect to the system.

As for where to start, that's going to be based on preference. If you have any intention of moving forward, PS3 is probably going to be best bet because it's much easier to take your instruments, arguably the most difficult piece of this puzzle, forward because you'll already have everything you need to use them in RB4.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: im seeing the fender mustang pro guitar all over and its cheap as hell. 30 to 60 dollars. If it only works with RB3 that might explain it.
Correct, the only pro mode to make it to RB4 was pro drums, because the way they chart drum tracks it's essentially baked in (which is why it was there for pre-RB3 stuff as well). Pro guitar and keys in general are forever locked to RB3.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

The pro guitar (the squire with the actual strings and electronic fretboard) only works with RB3 and only for songs that have a pro guitar track. I have one, it was fun, but there were some issues with some of the notes registering.

The keyboard in 5-key "simplified mode" can be used to play guitar and bass parts for all songs in RB3 and RB4, as far as I know. There are no "pro keyboard" parts in RB4.

The pro drums (individual cymbals) works with RB4. I'm pretty sure all tracks from RB3 onward have a "pro drum track" which distinguishes cymbal hits from toms.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The pro guitar (the squire with the actual strings and electronic fretboard) only works with RB3 and only for songs that have a pro guitar track. I have one, it was fun, but there were some issues with some of the notes registering.

The keyboard in 5-key "simplified mode" can be used to play guitar and bass parts for all songs in RB3 and RB4, as far as I know. There are no "pro keyboard" parts in RB4.

The pro drums (individual cymbals) works with RB4. I'm pretty sure all tracks from RB3 onward have a "pro drum track" which distinguishes cymbal hits from toms.

There were two pro guitars- the fender mustang had strings and a button fretboard. The squier was a regular stringed guitar.

The mustang is cheap as hell but that squier will set you back a good bit. Casual browsing showed $300 or so for it.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Go to a thrift store and pick up a guitar with a USB cord. Install Clone Hero.
Scratch is itched

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There were two pro guitars- the fender mustang had strings and a button fretboard. The squier was a regular stringed guitar.

The mustang is cheap as hell but that squier will set you back a good bit. Casual browsing showed $300 or so for it.

The Squier was $300 when it was new (I bought one), so that's probably not a bad price. Not gonna lie, the quality wasn't great. It had to have a plastic fretboard, that probably didn't help.

In any case it only worked with a relatively small number of songs, all from the RB3 era. I seem to remember that they actually sold the pro guitar parts separately for some the DLC.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Squier was $300 when it was new (I bought one), so that's probably not a bad price. Not gonna lie, the quality wasn't great. It had to have a plastic fretboard, that probably didn't help.

In any case it only worked with a relatively small number of songs, all from the RB3 era. I seem to remember that they actually sold the pro guitar parts separately for some the DLC.

I agree 300 isn't bad for what it is. It requires that Midi Pro Box though and good luck there- Amazon wants 600 for it

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Just recently watched This Is Spinal Tap and it brought back memories of playing Guitar Hero 2, and kinda got the itch, but I'm not shelling out $200+ for a plastic guitar. No thanks.

Random idea: make a shell that holds the DS4/DualSense at the fret bar and use the controller's touch pad as a virtual strum. It'd connect to the controller the same way the DS4 rear button thingy does, so it'd need very little in the way of its own electronics--basically just the buttons, whammy bar, and the controller to talk to the pad.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just recently watched This Is Spinal Tap and it brought back memories of playing Guitar Hero 2, and kinda got the itch, but I'm not shelling out $200+ for a plastic guitar. No thanks.

Random idea: make a shell that holds the DS4/DualSense at the fret bar and use the controller's touch pad as a virtual strum. It'd connect to the controller the same way the DS4 rear button thingy does, so it'd need very little in the way of its own electronics--basically just the buttons, whammy bar, and the controller to talk to the pad.
Using the touch pad as a substitute strum bar sounds like an absolute nightmare tbh.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I got kinda into playing keyboard Stepmania (basically open source DDR). Not the same obviously, but that really scratched my rhythm game itch, and I don't need dedicated hardware. Practically infinite songs too.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a career mode planned in Clone Hero???

Just fired it up for the first time and noticed theres no backgrounds when playing just the highway

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I agree 300 isn't bad for what it is. It requires that Midi Pro Box though and good luck there- Amazon wants 600 for it

I actually have ... two of the Xbox midi pro adapters. It looks like the PS3 one is the real valuable gem, though. The xbox version sells for about $80 used.

Huh. And it looks like I still have my "XONE Rock Band 4 Legacy Adapter" which ... still works with the Series X?

Last edited:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have ... two of the Xbox midi pro adapters. It looks like the PS3 one is the real valuable gem, though. The xbox version sells for about $80 used.

Huh. And it looks like I still have my "XONE Rock Band 4 Legacy Adapter" which ... still works with the Series X?
Problem with the Xbox midi pro adapter is that if you want to use it in RB4 you need to sell a kidney AND your first-born in order to get the wired legacy adapter to use it on an Xbox One/Series.

Of course that's a non-issue if you stick with playing the old stuff on a 360.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Problem with the Xbox midi pro adapter is that if you want to use it in RB4 you need to sell a kidney AND your first-born in order to get the wired legacy adapter to use it on an Xbox One/Series.

Of course that's a non-issue if you stick with playing the old stuff on a 360.

Is the wired legacy adapter the "XONE Rock band 4 Legacy Adapter" by Madcatz/harmonix or is it something else?

EDIT: Oh, it's something else. $1200, holy crap. Breaking out my 360 is looking like a better option.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I you have a PC, Clone Hero.

This is the correct answer, if you're not looking for a full band experience. You'll be going down a well-supported rabbit hole akin to what Stepmania has become for step games.

2nd choice: plug in your old consoles and play the old GH.

3rd choice: take out a mortgage, then get Rock Band 4 for your platform of choice and go nuts.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm... so I have a ton of Rock Band/Guitar Hero stuff and I might need to sell some of it if I can get these prices. My kids want me to start up "the band" again and play with them, which I'm absolutely going to do but I still have extra gear that I probably won't need.

I have the Squire Pro guitar and the Midi Pro box, neither of which have been touched for more than 5 years and are in basically perfect condition. I also have the Mustang Pro guitar (with the plastic strings) which I imagine has less value... but if I recall can be used as a Midi instrument as maybe I can find some interest there as well.

As for what I might still use for our "band" is the Xbox One versions of the guitar and wireless drums (and mic) which should all work natively with the XSX. I also have the full sized Fender Strat replica Xbox 360 guitar, the Rock Band 3 (Xbox 360) keyboard and the adapter to use the 360 instruments on Xbox One, but I'm not sure if the keyboard can be used a second guitar substitute in non-Pro mode (would be awesome for my kids if it can be).

Finally I have my RB1 wired drum kit with modified heads (I can't recall the name but they are basically silent and work great, just no colour code on them) and my carbon fiber reinforced pedal.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It sank MadCatz and PDP lost a lot of money apparently. A lot of instrument went unsold for a while.
I wonder what restrictions Harmonix has on their end at this point. Given they completed switched publishers, maybe none, but it is weird that they never comment on instruments.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh man, now I'm feeling nostalgia for The Beatles Rock Band on my PS3.
I still have my PS3 & everything else, but is there any way to play it on my computer or elsewhere?

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
MadCatz is no longer involved with Rock Band and it's probably pretty unlikely that they would suddenly jump into the plastic instrument business again.

MadCatz is no longer involved with *anything*, as they are now out of business.

As for where to start, that's going to be based on preference. If you have any intention of moving forward, PS3 is probably going to be best bet because it's much easier to take your instruments, arguably the most difficult piece of this puzzle, forward because you'll already have everything you need to use them in RB4.

I would say that if you're looking to get started in Rock Band on PS3 right now, the biggest problem is that all of the DLC is about to be delisted on July 2nd. But if you don't mind that, you're probably okay...

Finally I have my RB1 wired drum kit with modified heads (I can't recall the name but they are basically silent and work great, just no colour code on them) and my carbon fiber reinforced pedal.

Wired 360 instruments won't work on XB1 at all. Yes, it would be best if you accepted that as the truth.

www.ebay.com

WIRED Legacy Adapter for Electronic Drum Kit Xbox One Rock Band 4 by PDP TESTED! | eBay

<p>Works Perfect! Will ship in an Insured Signature Required Priority Mail 2-3 Day Box for Safe Delivery!</p><br><p>WIRED Legacy Adapter for Electronic Drum Kit Xbox One Rock Band 4 by PDP TESTED!. Condition is "Used". Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.</p>

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
They do? Wow. I have like 10 spares, and last I saw, Goodwill had plenty more.

Yeah, speaking at least for the Xbox side of things, anything native to the Xbox One versions are incredibly expensive. Looking at some recent completed listings, the guitar sells for $100-200 used, drums are $300-400, and full band kits are $500-600. Looks like if you're willing to use wireless 360 instruments (which I believe are mostly compatible), you can cut about 50% off those prices.

Also looks like that PDP legacy adapter SELLS for $1000 now? Jeeeeesus.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, speaking at least for the Xbox side of things, anything native to the Xbox One versions are incredibly expensive. Looking at some recent completed listings, the guitar sells for $100-200 used, drums are $300-400, and full band kits are $500-600. Looks like if you're willing to use wireless 360 instruments (which I believe are mostly compatible), you can cut about 50% off those prices.

Also looks like that PDP legacy adapter SELLS for $1000 now? Jeeeeesus.
360 instruments are not compatible directly with XB1, have to use the adapter.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if it's cheap at a thrift store (like $30-$40 for the game and guitar) I think it's worth it. It's definitely a shell of what it once was but it can still scratch an itch, but you're definitely not finding it cheap on eBay. That said, it's definitely not a replacement for RB4.

There is A LOT of misinformation here.

Getting your exports is easy. The only caveat is that you need to have already redeemed them because they're all unavailable for purchase now.

All of your previous DLC is immediately available to you, there's no real "hoops" outside of downloading them.

No adapters are needed on PS4/5 for PS3 instruments outside of any dongles that they came with originally.

Sony already said any cross-buy stuff (which all pre-RB4 dlc is) will still be available.
If you're looking to use Guitar Hero controllers on PS4, try to get the les paul usb adapter. It's shaped like a guitar pick. It has better success working on a PS4 than the other one.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Clone Hero is a fanmade PC project that grew from Frets on Fire

Originally it wasn't (and still isn't really), as it was something I had started from complete scratch without even realizing some of the other fan games had public git repos. Over time someone joined the group who had worked on FoF however many years ago but he hadn't done a whole lot since by that time the project as a whole was way too difficult to work with.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Does Clone Hero work with a E-Drum? I REALLY miss the drums, and I think I want to buy a E-Drum if it works on CH and hell, maybe learn for real.

It does, but you'll either have to wait for the full v.24 release (which should be sometime soon) or join the Discord (https://discord.gg/Hsn4Cgu) and join into the PTB (Public Test Build) role so you can get the launcher and download the PTB builds from there. This video does a decent job at explaining how to get into the PTB builds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfZ6p05aeM

Is there a career mode planned in Clone Hero???

Just fired it up for the first time and noticed theres no backgrounds when playing just the highway

After our next release we'll be focusing our efforts on rebuilding the game, with the knowledge learned about how best to make it and how best to use Unity going forward, and we'll likely have something similar to a Career mode. You can put your own backgrounds as either static images or videos (just drop the files into the appropriate places inside the game's install folder and choose them in the menus) and you can also use your own highway skins (same as backgrounds, put in the right folder and select in-game).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Originally it wasn't (and still isn't really), as it was something I had started from complete scratch without even realizing some of the other fan games had public git repos. Over time someone joined the group who had worked on FoF however many years ago but he hadn't done a whole lot since by that time the project as a whole was way too difficult to work with.
You're the dev. :O

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
This is an unpopular opinion but I thought the campaign mode in Guitar Hero Live was fucking awesome, and was a technical marvel. I would highly recommend it as an experience unto itself.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that if you're looking to get started in Rock Band on PS3 right now, the biggest problem is that all of the DLC is about to be delisted on July 2nd. But if you don't mind that, you're probably okay...
Cross-buy content will still be available for purchase
Will I still be able to purchase cross-buy content following the closure of PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP?
Yes, you will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.
All pre-RB4 DLC is cross-buy on PSN.
If you're looking to use Guitar Hero controllers on PS4, try to get the les paul usb adapter. It's shaped like a guitar pick. It has better success working on a PS4 than the other one.
All of the post-GH3 controllers will work on PS4

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
Clone Hero.
It pretty much works on any decent PC and has a ton of customization options and allows you to have tons of setlists from past GH/RB games as well as custom tracks.
You'll need a guitar which will be pricy if you're buying online but there are some that will pop up at a local thrift store for like 5 bucks.