• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I watch MK cutscene videos, because I like the story, but I cannot stand fighting games.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Nah, this is one of the games I'm looking forward to experiencing. Although I've seen plenty of games I have never played get speed runned and played during charity streams. I'm also one of those odd ducks that reads spoilers for games/movies/tv shows/books I will never consume.

I haven't played many Musou games anywhere other than Dragon Quest Heroes 2 so I'm not burned out.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched TLoU2. Had negative interest in playing it. Solid movie. 7/10.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I YouTube'd Rise of the Tomb Raider because I was only interested in the graphics. I didn't like the first reboot game all that much.

Edit: This is why I think developers should maybe consider selling some kind of "video version" of their game that's just all the cut scenes and some cinematically-directed gameplay cut together into basically a TV series, for people who are kinda interested in the story and presentation but don't actually care about playing the game. Konami did this for Metal Gear Solid 3 (or maybe part of it) and put it on some kind of collectible DVD.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I watched through the TellTale Back to the Future game. People say "watching someone play thru a game is unappealling to me", but I only watched the cutscenes. People upload that stuff all the time.

Im on the fence about watching/playing Hyrule Warriors. Not sure if the gameplay is for me but maybe it could be fun??? Idk I need to see reviews.

Overall I see no problem with watching a game. Its the same as watching a tv show for me.

BUT Ive also considered watching Death Stranding cutscenes. I fell asleep after playing for an hour at a friends house. I dont think I vibed with the gameplay at all. Anyone got thoughts?

Edit: I also watched Injustice 2, and plan to watch Deadly Premonition 2 (I played 1, and heard 2 plays worse)

Last edited:

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I'm a huge Zelda fan and really interested in Hyrule Warriors: AOC story but musou gameplay doesn't appeal to me. For the first time I have to say I'm interested in watching a game instead of playing it. I didn't do the same with the first HW because the story didn't interested me enough. Have you ever felt the same with a game? Which one? Any tips for better quality? (youtube, twitch...)

Five minutes into Dear Esther I quit and loaded it up on Youtube. Edith Finch might end up the same way.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I usually play games I'm interested in. I gravitate towards personalities instead of specific games to watch through though. Like Giant Bomb is the main personality focused place I watch.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Typically I only watch games that I can't easily obtain myself, or when that person is way better at the game than I will ever be. Specifically people who play DMCV that I could never keep up with.

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no clue about this game tbh. I loved BotW but I've never played a dynasty warriors type game to know if I'd like the combat.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Lots of times, yes. It's a great way to watch games I normally don't have access to. A lot of the time, Let's Play streams will get me interested in the game and I'll go buy it for myself.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Zelda fan and really interested in Hyrule Warriors: AOC story but musou gameplay doesn't appeal to me. For the first time I have to say I'm interested in watching a game instead of playing it. I didn't do the same with the first HW because the story didn't interested me enough. Have you ever felt the same with a game? Which one? Any tips for better quality? (youtube, twitch...)

I played around 65hrs of DQ11 on Switch and then just watched the last parts of it on youtube because the game just kept going and going and was never going to end. I also did this with Paper Mario: The Origami King because I absolutely hated the battle system.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be blasphemy for some, but I'm watching TLOU2 right now. I don't enjoy the gameplay nearly as much as the story, so it's a pretty easy decision

OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought AOC was tweeting about Hyrule Warriors for a second
"HEALTH CARE NOW, AND DEFEND THESE CONTROLPOINTS FROM BOKOBLINS!"
Lmao I had to read the topic title twice myself.
Count me among those misinterpreting AOC lmao

As for the topic: I have a gaggle of streamers I enjoy choosing from when I'd rather watch a game than play it. I'd try finding some archives on YouTube of streamers playing Zelda and seeing what personality you can stomach and enjoy. Vinny of Vinesauce has really obnoxious "highlights" but his streams are actually really subdued and low-key. That's why I'd try looking at a chunk of an actual stream over a highlight reel.

Or just wait for someone to post the cutscenes as a movie.

Now I'm curious about the meaning of AOC...XD

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I used to do this when I was a high school/college student that couldn't afford the latest consoles and games. Now that's changed though so I'd rather just play stuff myself.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I've done it for a few games where the story is more enjoyable than the gameplay and the story being short enough with very little need to get me to play it again

AOC though is one I like Musou games and BOTW. So it clears both of my checks

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I do it with horror games, and intend to do it with The Last of Us 2. Sometimes, like you said, the gameplay isn't for you but you want to check out the story and stuff.

OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played around 65hrs of DQ11 on Switch and then just watched the last parts of it on youtube because the game just kept going and going and was never going to end. I also did this with Paper Mario: The Origami King because I absolutely hated the battle system.
I did the same with Dark Souls 3. Though I finished and unlocked the normal ending but the other ones I watched on youtube.

Thank you!!

OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bumping this thread because I played the demo and thought that the game was fun. Combining this with an almost canon nature of the story I have to say I'm in.
The demo was a nice move from Nintendo.