Jul 17, 2020
Michigan
So if need be, you could probably reuse and rework Hyrule Warriors 1 movesets to differentiate the new champions from the old champions. I do hope Riju's moveset involves her sand seal Patricia though

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Something to consider: what if Ganon is a possession? Like calamity possess's I don't know Kohga's assistant

also Kohga is going to be so much fun with his spiked ball of doom

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I wonder how the new champions will tie in? Will they really bring them back from the future?

Playable Hestu and Kohga are awesome.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The mini guardian time travel thing today has kind of eclipsed the other brand new character of the game with an unknown purpose - the mysterious figure helping the Yiga.

I wonder if they're involved in this time hopping thing. I feel like until we know their true role and intentions, we can't assume this will be the "happily ever after" ending. The mini guardian may not be the only interloper

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The text around the portal the mini Guardian uses to travel back in time apparently has been translated to "Gate of Time Open/Open Gate of Time".

"Gate of Time" being a thing in Skyward Sword.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The mini guardian time travel thing today has kind of eclipsed the other brand new character of the game with an unknown purpose - the mysterious figure helping the Yiga.

I wonder if they're involved in this time hopping thing. I feel like until we know their true role and intentions, we can't assume this will be the "happily ever after" ending. The mini guardian may not be the only interloper
I mean, we know they're not the only interloper, we saw some form of Malice also enter the time portal, and later we saw a brief glimpse of what seems to be Dark Mini Guardian.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious how the guardian changes their plans.
after learning about it and seeing the picture, they go do the exact same thing they already did (recruit the champions etc)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently playing the demo...

First impression:

Yup, that's a Hyrule Warriors game all right lol.
It's pretty but run like shiiiiittttt (in handheld anyway).
It's really impressive how much they managed to capture the feel of BOTW with the graphics and UI and some of the mechanics.
They kinda fixed my biggest UX issue I have with the first game which is the terrible weapon management (scrolling through a list to switch item instead of having a wheel is baaadddd).
They have gyro aiming which I really hate and if you turn it off you have to aim with the left stick... Holy shit... This is a GameCube ass design decision... Who the fuck would want to aim with the left stick? Ugh

Anyway... Liking what I'm seeing so far (except the performances) but I still kinda don't care enough about the BOTW lore to really get hooked in the game compared to the first one which was using all the other Zelda games.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I hope that's true, Riju-chan would be amazing... Timeline nonsense or not. I won't get my hopes up.
I mean your odds are really good, this style of icon is exclusively for playable characters and in the middle of the playable character list. If it was outside of it or at the end I'd get some hesitation but even then that'd still mean it's dlc

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The text around the portal the mini Guardian uses to travel back in time apparently has been translated to "Gate of Time Open/Open Gate of Time".

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the throne room in BotW Hyrule castle looking like SS's Gate of Time?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Time shenanigans or not, I'm thinking there will be a stable time loop, rather than a fully split timeline, and the time stuff is more or less a way to get the fanserivce of the Shikah Slate powers for everyone/having the new champions meet the old ones, if only for a bit. Or maybe they won't meet and they're just out of canon in that weird time warp zone that was on the map.

It's too bad about Purah and Robbie, though I was under the impression that they may not be playable when I saw their art where they just pose normally, but then the King of Hyrule has a sword he wasn't seen with before, and Kohga has that iron ball behind him for some reason. Maybe DLC though....though I'd prefer them bringing back some of the non-BotW LoZ characters for that, like Midna and Skull Kid.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Apparently it's also what the room you open up with the Spirit Stones in OoT is called in Japan.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Remember data mined characters aren't necessarily in the final game.
KT May leave scrapped character data in but never in the general files only specific. Also these are too specific and placed in a file that makes no sense for it to be dlc and these icons are specifically for playable character health and combo unlock missions. Also they are actually very good at scrubbing dlc info outside of codenames and animations. Also unlike say OPPW4 none of these could be carryovers from scrapped returning characters

note I'm not saying it's 100%, I'm not sure if egg and Ganon are playable or not, but the others seem likely. Worse case3 are a post release free update like the first game

First game did have 16 base(13 launch) and this is right around that number though

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
KT May leave scrapped character data in but never in the general files only specific. Also these are too specific and placed in a file that makes no sense for it to be dlc and these icons are specifically for playable character health and combo unlock missions. Also they are actually very good at scrubbing dlc info outside of codenames and animations. Also unlike say OPPW4 none of these could be carryovers from scrapped returning characters

note I'm not saying it's 100%, I'm not sure if egg and Ganon are playable or not, but the others seem likely. Worse case3 are a post release free update like the first game

First game did have 16 base(13 launch) and this is right around that number though
I would say worst case is paid DLC :P
But I hope they are added through a free update like this first game
Edit: actually worst case scenario would be us not getting the characters at all :P

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Riju DLC would be worth $60. Can you imagine if it's just included in the base game for free??

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I would say worst case is paid DLC :P
But I hope they are added through a free update like this first game
Edit: actually worst case scenario would be us not getting the characters at all :P
I mean if they were dlc they wouldn't be in the middle of the playable character icons they'd be at the end. And base hw had 16. So it's totally in the realm of possibility

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if they were dlc they wouldn't be in the middle of the playable character icons they'd be at the end. And base hw had 16. So it's totally in the realm of possibility
Oh I was specifically talking about Purah/Robbie/Yiga/Mysterious Figure. I've no doubt that the new champions etc are in the game

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I bet Riju is gonna have a seal-surfing moveset. Her dash could be Patricia the Sand Seal towing her along.

(I guess this would require Patricia to burrow through grass, snow, concrete and other stuff that's not sand, but hey)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If these are all base characters, then for DLC they could add:

- Purah
- Robbie
- Beedle
- Kass

Others, too, but I feel those four should take priority.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
If you think about it the mysterious figure and the yiga general are undoubtedly going to be boss fights in the game, meaning they will have in-game models and movesets.
So releasing them through a free update like they did Cia, Volga and Wizzro is very possible

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I know Sidon but who is the others?
Riju is Best Girl. A teen Gerudo who lost her mum and became leader of her people at a young age — her feet don't even reach the floor from the throne. She's also a snazzy dresser, with an immaculate color scheme and hair braid. She fan-girls over sand seals (she tells you to ignore the plushies in her room). She also writes in her diary, giving us a window into her headspace — her hopes, her fears, etc.

Character development.

The devs clearly adore her. She's the NPC in BotW with the most detail put into her. Look at how complex her schedule is — over the course of a 24-hour cycle, she moves between the throne room, the stairs, her diary, her shrine, her bed, and the pavilion in her seal's playpen, with different dialogue at each stop. It's a splash of Majora's Mask in the middle of Breath of the Wild!

Basically she's the best Zelda NPC. And now we get to play as her! Well... I hope...

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Great for the story. Super easy game? I feel it get repetitive real fast?
These games get brutally difficult at higher difficulties. The later challenges in HW1's Adventure Mode require you to plan 10 steps ahead and have like three contingency plans just to barely survive, let alone get the A-rank unlock. You have to think about where to go, how to get there, what order to tackle things, etc. Also need to know your combo strings inside and out. Those flashy attacks all have different properties — some hit like a wave, others are focused shots; some hit high, some hit low, some hit around you but in a tight space; some require charging, aiming, steering, detonating. Some more efficiently break an enemy's guard, or hit an enemy high above, or counter elements, etc.

It's more complex than it seems. Anyone can get into these games, but the most elite challenges are some of the toughest in gaming.

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It's crazy how many amazing characters Botw has, I can't imagine any previous entry filling out a roster like this.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how many amazing characters Botw has, I can't imagine any previous entry filling out a roster like this.
It's great to see the more under-utilized ones get more screen time in this game. Teba has an awesome design and a spectacular setpiece moment in BotW (and some cute father-son bonding at the Flight Range afterward) but he was otherwise a brief character. If he's playable here as the data mine suggests, that's another example of an under-utilized character having their potential realized.

Another example is Paya. She's not playable here, but her design is present in the form of Impa. It's such a strong design, and for this game to make it playable is a treat.

Really, this whole game is sort of a fall miracle. The fact we didn't know about it prior to September and it's out in several weeks (with a free demo with carry-over save data for us to currently enjoy) is just wonderful.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico

To be more exact, they were relics created by the Goddess Hylia, one being in the Temple of Time in the Lanayru Region and the other in the Temple of Hylia. Which seemingly were made from Timeshift stones mined from the Lanayru region. The gate used in Twilight Princess to enter the Temple of Light to get the Dominion Rod also reads Time Gate, and the door that seals away the Pedestal of Time in OoT is also called the Door/Gate of Time. Which suggests one of two things: The Egg Guardian received its time traveling power as an accident when Zelda activated her power and harnessed it via a Timeshift Stone inside it, or, the Gates of Time are all Sheikah developed technology, done in honor to the Goddess Hylia since the times of SS.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the throne room in BotW Hyrule castle looking like SS's Gate of Time?

That is correct, the decoration behind the throne is basicalliy a 1:1 match to the lining of the Gates of Time in SS.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The egg guardian is the icon of the music player
Yeah I've said it before egg and Ganon could be something else(the latter could be boss/extra difficult challenges) but Kohga has a combat render so everything up to him is pretty likely, and we can't rule out monk Maz or double use. To be fair Maz could be trial challenges. But 15 is still solid and HW had 13 at launch and 16 base with a free update