• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

howacobanner1iktz.png

by Comrade Foster (text) & TheMoon (visuals/maintenance)
Developer: Omega Force / Team Ninja / Supervision by Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Koei Tecmo (Japan) | Nintendo (NA/PAL)
Release: November 20, 2020
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Backwards Pikmin with Swords
Multiplayer: Local splitscreen co-op for 2 players
Online: Still no :<
DLC: Nothing announced yet
Demo: Yes, saved progress carries over to the full game.
File Size: 10.8GB
eShop pages: EU | AU | NZ | US | CA | JP
Review Thread: Here
Spoiler Thread: Here

aocstorypwkjk.png

tenor.gif
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity takes place 100 years before Breath of the Wild and tells a version of the events depicted in that game's "memories" chronicling the backstory.

While locking Calamity Ganon in place during its attack on Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, Zelda's magic firing off causes a tiny Guardian to be sent back 100 years in time and it captured images of the catastrophic battle in the future. Link, Zelda, and Impa examine it with a Sheikah Slate that can somehow interact with the tiny Guardian...

Will it affect how events play out in the past?

Play the game and find out...

aocfaq9qkao.png

tenor.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
[A message from Comrade Foster]​
Hey, everyone.
First time doing this and it's about a game that I really like on
top of it. Here's hoping that all of you are as excited about this
game as I am because I've been excited for this game since
Day 1.
With that said, let's hop to it, shall we?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

What is Age of Calamity about and how does it relate to Breath of the Wild?
Set 100 years ago before the events of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the game tells the story leading up to and during the Calamity that destroyed Hyrule long ago. It's a prequel that allows you to play multiple characters, such as Link, Mipha, Revali, Urbosa, etc. While the game may be a prequel, fans will no doubt find the events unfolding in it to be interesting nonetheless, as they flesh out most of the key characters from Breath of the Wild and show them in their prime.

What characters can you play in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity?
Aside from Link and Zelda, characters such as the Four Champions of Hyrule and Impa are known to be playable (without spoiling other characters, Age of Calamity's base roster is larger than that of the original Hyrule Warriors' base roster of 16). The game itself may not be as hefty in playable characters as, say, the Warriors Orochi series or even the mainline Dynasty Warriors games, which currently has almost 100 playable characters as of its current game (Dynasty Warriors 9). That being said, with the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity info leak a while back, the writer of this OT personally thinks that people will be satisfied with the final roster. The AoC base game roster of playable characters is 18

Is there an Expansion Pass?
No post-game content plans have been announced so far, curiously. Both Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors have had extensive post-launch support with expansion passes adding a large variety of characters, maps, and modes to the game.

What game modes are there?
Unlike the original Hyrule Warriors, all the content from the various modes (such as Adventure Mode) has been seamelssly integrated into the world map from Breath of the Wild/Age of Calamity. This means that special challenges (like those found in Adventure Mode maps) and NPC interactions as well as things like crafting and upgrading are all accessed through locations on the same map screen used to navigate the "main story."

What is a Musou game?
0krAPcj.gif
According to GameGrin, the Japanese term "Musou" translates into English as "unmatched". "Musou" is a Japanese hack-and-slash game. Hack-and-slash are games where you fight multiple enemies at once, in theory fighting dozens at a time amounting to hundreds of enemies slain by the end of the game, though I say "in theory" as this varies from game to game. You usually charge up a "super move" or "Musou" which performs a series of strikes against your opponents with enormous spectacle (sometimes comically extreme in nature). In addition to that, Musou games are often also about multi-tasking and controlling multiple characters on a battlefield to take over key locations on the map. On harder difficulties, tactical maneuvers become increasingly important.

The most prolific developer in this genre is Koei Tecmo's Omega Force, the same developers headlining Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. As implied, there are other games outside of the Warriors series that are Japanese hack-and-slash, or Musou, such as Capcom's Sengoku Basara series, but elements of this genre can be found in Devil May Cry and No More Heroes.

How does this Musou game differ from other Musou games?
For starters, you may use different weapons rather than the character's "main" one, similar to Breath of the Wild. Different characters will play differently with each weapon that you give them.

Do I need to have played other Musou games to enjoy this one?
Generally, given the ease of playing these games, that would be a no. What makes a Musou game addicting is the ease of use that they have. Even so, some people find them repetitive and lifeless while others find them to be easy to get into while making you feel like a badass. In the end, the gameplay may not be your sort of thing, but this game is supposed to capitalize mostly on story-telling compared to previous Musou games from what's been shown so far and it has collaboration from the same team that worked on Breath of the Wild, so expect things to have a strong emphasis on story if you don't mind going through the gameplay in order to find out everything that happened 100 years ago.

Do I need to play Breath of the Wild to understand this game's story?
It would be for the best to play Breath of the Wild first to get more out of this game, but there is nothing stopping you from playing what is essentially a prequel to the first game so you won't be completely lost with this one. That being said, you'll lose out on connections that you wouldn't have made otherwise. This is definitely a game that you would want to play in conjunction with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and, indeed, this game is definitely meant for fans more than most Zelda games.

What about updates?
No content update plans have been announced thus far. Previous KT/Nintendo collaborations have all had extensive "expansion pass" content after launch. Details will surely be announced sometime soon. As for now, there has only been a day-1 patch fixing some issues. See the threadmarks for patch notes.

aocmediabiklf.png

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent OT! A friend of mine was able to snag me a copy from a mom and pop shop, it's a blast. My first time playing this type of game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the fence...in it for the Musou gameplay and not too upset about the story side, but I'm kind of broke and I wanted to finish BOTW first before this.

Might hold off for a few months and see if updates come.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question, do we know if there's any advantage to playing on harder difficulties? In HW DE, you could get bonuses to rupee gains that way as well as skulltulas exclusive to hard mode or expert. What about here?

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
The demo convinced me to grab this, I'm a sucker for musou games, and though I paid little attention to the story in BOTW, the story threads so far are great.

On another note: I've been playing as Urbosa for 15 minutes, and how is this woman not in Smash already?! I've seen calls for it around but never paid much mind, but wow. Powerful woman of colour who's unashamedly a badass (and has a super interesting, varied moveset!). Smash is crying out for someone like this.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm excited for my copy tomorrow, enjoyed the first game on wiiu but too grindy in the post game to go back to on switch.
Also for anyone wondering the roster is good sized
Hyrule Warriors had 13 at launch and got 3 villains as a free update for a base roster of 16. This beats it at 18 at launch. Both also had extra movesets for specific characters meaning there were more total play styles. Could be more to come, no dlc has been announced yet

Already have it preloaded! Can't wait to sink my teeth into the game tomorrow night!

Does anyone know if the soundtrack will be up anywhere to buy? I know it's up on YouTube, but I want to be able to blast music in the car as I go to work and such.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Went from hyped as fuck upon announcement to cautiously optimistic upon playing the demo to disappointed and just hoping the gameplay is decent upon learning of the leaks and spoilers. I'll be getting it next week but I'm interested in seeing what people getting it earlier think.

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Waiting for my review to arrive tomorrow. My impression with the demo is much better than I expected and pushed me to get the 1st musou game in my life, ever! Though my enthusiasm cooled down quite a bit due to not so glorious reviews regarding story...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone who bought the game from Humble gotten their key yet?

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
...I just finished the mission with Urbosa in Gerudo desert and I am shocked how well it runs compared to the demo? I am going to check the first mission quickly for comparison but it's a massive improvement. And I thought the level was more intense than the Hyrule field.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
...I just finished the mission with Urbosa in Gerudo desert and I am shocked how well it runs compared to the demo? I am going to check the first mission quickly for comparison but it's a massive improvement. And I thought the level was more intense than the Hyrule field.
it's the grass. the levels with all the grass will continue to run poorly.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hanging out in the spoiler thread too long after finishing for review but I'll say this, the game has some cute surprises and references all over the place and it was really fun just going in totally blind

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So from reading the OP, it's not actually a prequel since this little robot gets sent back in time and shows Zelda and Link what happens in the future?

I can see where this is going.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it since last night and finished all 4 champion first mission. It plays great (docked) and the cinematic is fantastic especially Revalli.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, but what's up with folks seemingly spoiling the direction the story goes?

I didn't necessarily wanna know that this game apparently pulls an Inglorious Bastards RE the canon of the original game.

Would've been a fun surprise.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
it's the grass. the levels with all the grass will continue to run poorly.
I just quickly fired up the Hyrule Field with Zelda and it still feels smoother? I quickly compared it to the video I took on the demo of the same first 40 seconds and the capture from the demo looks significantly choppier.

Again I played a lot of Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade DE this week so maybe everything looks sharper but then again I didn't notice nearly as much frame drops as I did with the demo.

what was the day one update addressing actually?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated the demo on handheld switch. Yet I love so much botw. I had a 20 bucks coupon so I got it for 30

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I haven't really been keeping up with the leaked copies, was the demo datamine accurate for the player characters? As in everyone with a map icon except
Mini-Guardian/Ganon
is playable?

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Quick PSA in case anyone is a complete gumby like me: if you can't hear voice acting in cutscenes, change your Switch sound setting from 'Surround' to 'Stereo'.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I haven't really been keeping up with the leaked copies, was the demo datamine accurate for the player characters? As in everyone with a map icon except
Mini-Guardian/Ganon
is playable?
I mean, seriously don't read this if you don't want to know, but

Yes, and get rid of the except. They're playable too

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-loaded and ready to go! Excited! Hyrule Warriors was a lot of fun and BotW is one of the best games ever made.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm, wonder when DLC will be announced, I'd guess something by/at TGA. Most KT games on switch get the first dlc tease a week before launch but to be fair the first game got it's a month after its Japanese launch but that was a different era. But considering every Nintendo warriors game has had dlc I'd imagine it's a when not an if

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Super thrilled to play this tomorrow after work, I had a blast with the original Hyrule Warriors and from what I've heard this game is even better

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, wonder when DLC will be announced, I'd guess something by/at TGA. Most KT games on switch get the first dlc tease a week before launch but to be fair the first game got it's a month after its Japanese launch but that was a different era. But considering every Nintendo warriors game has had dlc I'd imagine it's a when not an if
My guess is the pandemic either delayed or cancelled their DLC plans. More likely delayed than cancelled, I'd say.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My guess is the pandemic either delayed or cancelled their DLC plans. More likely delayed than cancelled, I'd say.
Yeah doubt it's cancelled. This was possibly pushed around too. Perhaps they decided to save it for a the Game Awards reveal like they did with MUA3's Xmen dlc(another Nintendo KT joint) last year. Especially if it's a season pass(a free update would be less likely). Would still imagine they'd have something ready in the next month or two going off standard trends

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
" Do I need to play Breath of the Wild to understand this game's story?

It would be for the best to play Breath of the Wild first to get more out of this game, but there is nothing stopping you from playing what is essentially a prequel to the first game so you won't be completely lost with this one. That being said, you'll lose out on connections that you wouldn't have made otherwise. This is definitely a game that you would want to play in conjunction with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and, indeed, this game is definitely meant for fans more than most Zelda games. "

As someone who couldn't get into breath of the wild who spent yesterday watching the story to breath of the wild to get ready for this game.... I'm going to go with a simple no....

There is a war... They needed 4 mech pilots to fight in the war... There was a bodyguard for the princess... and then they didn't win. So the princess used magic to send the body guard into the future so they could have a second chance by giving the body guard the spirit of all the mech pilots to fight the evil.

There I saved you the time needed to get the story to breath of the wild :P The only interesting part of the story is going to be covered in this game so yeah >.>

Anyways my copy didn't make it here today like they said it would so I guess I have to wait until tomorrow. Either way looking forward to this. Watching all of the story did make me a little more excited for this, but only because expanding this part of the story is like the only worthwhile part of the story they could expand (to me) lol.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list some where with all of the characters depending on the number of characters or who is in it will make me decide to buy this or not.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Preloaded and ready to dedicate my night (and a lot of my weekend) to this here on the West Coast. I love Hyrule Warriors, I thought the visuals in the demo were gorgeous and was impressed by the depth of systems, so I'm excited. My only reservation is the time travel shenanigans, which I hope don't take the wind out of the narrative (Dragon Quest XI style). Aside from playing the first level of the demo, I've been keeping my exposure to the game light, so I'm open to some surprises.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Preloaded and ready to dedicate my night (and a lot of my weekend) to this here on the West Coast. I love Hyrule Warriors, I thought the visuals in the demo were gorgeous and was impressed by the depth of systems, so I'm excited. My only reservation is the time travel shenanigans, which I hope don't take the wind out of the narrative (Dragon Quest XI style). Aside from playing the first level of the demo, I've been keeping my exposure to the game light, so I'm open to some surprises.
I'm basically trying to keep myself reasonably in the dark about this game.

Still, your post gives me a lot to look forward to.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT TheMoon , but the spoiler thread link goes to the review thread instead.

The demo was pretty fun, the mix of musou with BotW elements is interesting and done well I think. I won't pick this up immediately, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Maannnn. My Best Buy pre-ordered copy says it won't arrive until Saturday evening. I was looking forward to chilling with this all day Saturday and Friday evening. At least I can start playing the demo for a little bit...

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT, OP! Got it all preloaded and ready to go. This will be my first Musou game so I'm really looking forward to finally put to rest whether or not these games are for me. Even if the story stuff doesn't pan out quite how I would like it to (I actually have no idea if it does or not) I think it should still be pretty fun gameplay wise. It remains to be seen for how long though cause I know these games can be pretty grindy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is there a list some where with all of the characters depending on the number of characters or who is in it will make me decide to buy this or not.
Spoilers of course but
18 characters
Link(3 movesets)
Zelda(2 movesets)
Rhoam
Impa
Mipha
Daruk
Revali
Urbosa
Teba
Riju
Sidon
Yunobo
Hetsu
Great Fairy
Monk Maz
Kohga
Egg Guardian
Ganon
For reference HW1 launched with 13 characters and added 3 as a free update for a base total of 16.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying it so much, I got all champions + did the following stages.
The music are sublime, the cutscenes are pretty good (at least in French lol) and the gameplay keep me hooked, Revalo is really fun to play.

I did a mistake though, when I imported my demo save I forgot I put it at the highest difficulty, when I did Revali's missions is was really challenging, I had to strategize a lot especially at the boss. But I managed to do it thankfully, I really liked those moments haha. Since then I put the game on hard and it's still challenging, especially Daruk's map with nothing to heal you until the hot springs.

Excited to delve more into it tomorrow!