• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
While I didn't expect the mini guardian to appear the way it did I'm almost certain that the
current time version of it was the thing spying on them from behind the tree, which will be reprogrammed and boxed up after the the time travel version sacrifices itself for Zelda, ensuring a stable loop.

I'm almost sure this is going to be the case. It would be really lame if this was a straight what if

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Performance isn't great, but it's more than workable for me. Gameplay is pretty fun and overall progression system is definitely well thought out and nice use of the world. Presentation overall is top notch. I'm iffy on the story direction so far, but hopefully they don't go overboard with it and just keep things pretty straight with how events unfold. If it works, it works, but I'm not exactly filled with confidence on Nintendo's writing chops. Always better when they keep things simple rather than trying to be clever and complex.

Impa is a lot of fun, but it takes quite a lot of trial and error to understand how she operates. The whole absorbing enemies for creating duplicates was not very clear at first. Still need to figure out how to reliably launch her in the air. But I like how she plays a lot and Link is for sure a beast. Zelda is I guess appropriately feeble but still interesting to play. Again with her I had issues with some of her Sheikah powers, never got Cryonis to work, took a few times to figure out Magnesis.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused about how Impa works? What is her special and the absorb thing?

I'm not completely sure about this, but it seems like ZR marks the enemy, and when you use a strong attack on the marked enemy it generates your clones. Not sure what other advantages there might be in attacking marked enemies (ie. increased damage, etc.).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I'm sold on the gameplay as someone who isn't really familiar with Musou. Will probably wait for an in depth performance analysis as well, since the demo version is pretty rough docked.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The time travel framing is actually really good if it is canon as it then allows them to go completely crazy with the non canon side content.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I don't really see the problem with it given that time travel in general is a staple of the franchise and used heavily so often that this is just an extension of that.

We haven't seen any data thus far to insinuate that there's going to be "happy" endings for everything but the short answer to that is this is not canon (or is it? Who knows.)

If they change things in the plot to fit this new scenario at least it's established from the first cutscenes what's going on versus FF7R's approach of "Hey here's some spoopy ghosts but also lol here's a bunch of random extra shit."

I think the "tone" of the first scene was such that we'll still have either heavy moments or bad ends for everyone involved, and even if we don't, we know it's not canon due to the way BOTW plays out. If I end up being wrong and they cancel out BOTW then yeah we can talk, but I don't think they're stupid enough to do that.

If anything this will be used to bring in more characters and more things into the game to play with and more spinoff chapters, which I don't see as a problem so long as there's a "true" ending that matches the original intent.
We were definitely led to believe the game would be "canon." I'm not sure if Nintendo ever used that word (lol, of course they wouldn't, that word is anathema to them), but that is definitely the impression we were given up until now.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the demo a good amount. Handheld performance was decent enough that I could put up with it in the full game. Framerate held up okay and that's all I need, even if it doesn't look the best.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't dug into the demo yet but is there any signs (datamining or otherwise) that there'll be additional playable characters beyond Link, the champions, Zelda and Impa?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I haven't dug into the demo yet but is there any signs (datamining or otherwise) that there'll be additional playable characters beyond Link, the champions, Zelda and Impa?
Yes, some stuff has been found in data mines
Icons have been found
SPOILER_1603908632139.png

Likely for sure King Rhoam and future Champions are playable. It seems Hetsu, Great Fairy, Kohga and monk Maz May be as well. Mini Gaurdian and Ganon might be or just be map icons
So 16 likely maybe 18

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The time travel framing is actually really good if it is canon as it then allows them to go completely crazy with the non canon side content.

Yep, also puts some doubt as to the outcome of the storyline that wouldn't be there if it was just a prequel to the events as described in BOTW.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes
Icons have been found

Likely for sure King Rhoam and future Champions are playable. It seems Hetsu, Great Fairy, Kohga and monk Maz May be as well. Mini Gaurdian and Ganon might be or just be map icons
Was really hoping Purah and Robbie would end up playable, but I shouldn't be too surprised since they're side characters more than anything.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Icons have been found

So 16 likely maybe 18
Holy shit. But where the hell are Purah and Robbie :/

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Icons have been found

So 16 likely maybe 18

holy hell that's way more characters than I expected

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gotta say the game is nice and im stoked for the story BUT. I just find the dynasty warriors gameplay loop boring after a while. cant play more than one map.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint so far is that you can't change the controls. I played hundreds of hours of the original with a different control set and I can't change it at all here and I hate it

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Was really hoping Purah and Robbie would end up playable, but I shouldn't be too surprised since they're side characters more than anything.
Holy shit. But where the hell are Purah and Robbie :/
Yeah I'm a bit down on that too, surprised Monk Maz made it since Impa has aspects of his moves. Down the new Yiga isn't playable either. There's always dlc tho

holy hell that's way more characters than I expected
I was expecting 16, that's where HW base roster was after the month after launch free update. Anything on top of that's a fun bonus
they want you to like them based on cutscenes so you're excited to buy them as DLC next year!
KT hides dlc stuff and this is gameplay icons for playable characters. They're in base

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
a new DLC with the future champions really made so much sense. I'm surprised they're in the base game and wonder how. Robbie and Purah being DLC doesn't really open a new campaign

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah man that's what I'm saying. Robbie and Purah aren't here because they're going to be DLC
Whoops thought you meant the future champions. Yeah I can see it
a new DLC with the future champions really made so much sense. I'm surprised they're in the base game and wonder how. Robbie and Purah being DLC doesn't really open a new campaign
Dlc doesn't have to be canon stuff, heck likely it won't be a campaign. Most Warriors dlc is just characters with some new challenges, HW1 just tacked those onto challenge maps and an epilogue which is more than what most get

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops thought you meant the future champions. Yeah I can see it

Dlc doesn't have to be canon stuff, heck likely it won't be a campaign. Most Warriors dlc is just characters with some new challenges, HW1 just tacked those onto challenge maps and an epilogue which is more than what most get
True, I guess it was legends which really added the new campaign, and that was a completely separate sku

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think y'all are reading waaaay too much into the time travel shit. The Zelda team worked on the story for this. It is canon. No branching paths. It's just adding a wrinkle to the story we didn't know before--one which may come into effect in BotW2.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The future Champions are probably gonna be in an epilogue of some sort. Given that the Zelda team wrote AoC's story, I'm not sure if they'd mess with things too much by bringing them into the main campaign.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Totally called the future champions being playable in the base game!

Surprised that we're getting Rhoam and Hetsu but not Purah and Robbie. Guess they could be DLC or something.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Icons have been found

So 16 likely maybe 18

So Sidon, Hestu, and Kohga are all likely playable. Welp, I'm happy!

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I think y'all are reading waaaay too much into the time travel shit. The Zelda team worked on the story for this. It is canon. No branching paths. It's just adding a wrinkle to the story we didn't know before--one which may come into effect in BotW2.
That's also part of the reason why I'm expecting changes. I have a hard time seeing the same guy who asked, "What would Link do?" be okay with the answer to his question being, "Nothing, 'cause he's dead." They'll re-write the ending so that Link can be there and be the hero.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Icons have been found

So 16 likely maybe 18

With the character leak...

Will be interesting to see how they implement the future champions in AOC

Apr 21, 2018
I just tried co-op (unlocks after the first mission it seems) and it actually does pretty well. Looks like things just pop-in a bit closer and there is some sort of dynamic resolution happening, but its a LOT smoother to play than it was in the first Hyrule Warriors.

This is going to be a fun game to play with a friend.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy with the datamined characters.
I'm expecting more through free updates like the first Hyrule Warriors since the new villain is seemingly not playable.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
From what I played, it help up really well in split-screen co-op.
really...?
We 100% only played in split screen (except for mission one since it's not even an option)

It was alright at times.
But certain encounters dropped to ~15 fps for sure for some moments.

One of them was Lightning Wizzrobe iirc with lightning on the screen. Funnily, a few encounters I expected a drop didn't drop that bad. Then some fights I thought not a lot was happening had steep drops.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
True, I guess it was legends which really added the new campaign, and that was a completely separate sku
yeah I think Cia's story was a free update but that's it
Totally called the future champions being playable in the base game!

Surprised that we're getting Rhoam and Hetsu but not Purah and Robbie. Guess they could be DLC or something.
With the character leak...

Will be interesting to see how they implement the future champions in AOC
Epilogue seems like the easiest choice, but we'll see
I'm happy with the datamined characters.
I'm expecting more through free updates like the first Hyrule Warriors since the new villain is seemingly not playable.
Both new villains actually. Also Robbie, Purah and King Dorephan

Apr 21, 2018
really...?
We 100% only played in split screen (except for mission one since it's not even an option)

It was alright at times.
But certain encounters dropped to ~15 fps for sure for some moments.

One of them was Lightning Wizzrobe iirc with lightning on the screen. Funnily, a few encounters I expected a drop didn't drop that bad. Then some fights I thought not a lot was happening had steep drops.

I didn't experience that but I was testing it by myself, so one of the screens was more or less idol.

It felt better than Hyrule Warriors : DE did in split screen.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
I'm not completely sure about this, but it seems like ZR marks the enemy, and when you use a strong attack on the marked enemy it generates your clones. Not sure what other advantages there might be in attacking marked enemies (ie. increased damage, etc.).
also when you've charged all 3 symbols and use your special you get a much stronger special with a unique animation.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Performance is a bit rough for my tastes. I may skip the game for the time being and wait for the fabled "Switch Pro" (assuming performance is better, and assuming the new version is worth buying). That being said, main theme is absolutely wonderful.

Last edited: