Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah, only 15 days until Mr Driller DrillLand releases on Switch and PC on June 25th. Bandai Namco's hardly tweeted about the game since it's announcement, as you can see in the link below. But, I wanted to do a hype check, since promotional materials have started up in Japan. https://gonintendo.com/stories/362246-mr-driller-drillland-promotional-material-spotted-in-japan

Who's excited? I know I am.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Mr. Driller on the Dreamcast but have not kept up with the series and didn't know this was coming out.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm intrigued. Don't have a lot of history with the series, myself, but I did see you can be a dog driller, so I am into it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Been excited since the announcement. I never played it, and it looks like my kind of game. Not completely sold on getting it on release, though... may wait for a sale.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited. I bought it for Gamecube a long time ago but barely dig dug into it for whatever reason, and I don't have the right cable to hook my Wii up to my TV anymore, so I have no choice but to get this!

BTW, for those who haven't played it before: the soundtrack is insane.

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I've gone crazy hunting for (both) Mr. Driller on GBA after scoring a GBA Micro, it's one of my fave series. It's probably day 1 for me.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested, but there's not a whole lot of information. Will there be physical copies? How much does it cost?

OP
OP

Deleted member 7217

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested, but there's not a whole lot of information. Will there be physical copies? How much does it cost?

No price details yet, and a physical release is only announced for Japan right now, but a European physical release is rumored.
www.gonintendo.com

Mr. Driller DrillLand physical release might be heading to Europe

Drilling down for details

It has a listing on the eShop already, the price is $30.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mr-driller-drillland-switch/

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the Mr Driller formula but I haven't really played any game past the first one. I think I'll pick this up, maybe not at launch.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
excited to play it eventually but $30 is probably more than i'd pay for a mr. driller remake - will definitely pick it up in a sale down the road

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
I'm buying it day one on Steam because we don't usually get these types of games anymore (Since publishers as big as Bandai Namco are usually worried about financial sales for niche games like this and Katamary Damacy Re-Roll)

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting in.

Will be very surreal to experience in English after 16 years, holy shit.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Only played the dsi game and while I loved it I didn't like how after a certain point I was stuck with nothing more to do: the next missions were way too hard, so no matter how many times I tried, I lost, and the game wouldn't register my time either since I hadn't actually reached the goal...

I wonder if this experiencie will be different in any way or if it's basically the same as the dsi game.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Never played a Mr. Driller, but I am hyped for this!

Been playing lots of Panel de Pon, so always ready for another puzzler classic.

Trifle

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite of the Mr. Driller games - agree the tunes were really great, and it added a bit of variety. That intro still makes me smile!

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the dsi game and while I loved it I didn't like how after a certain point I was stuck with nothing more to do: the next missions were way too hard, so no matter how many times I tried, I lost, and the game wouldn't register my time either since I hadn't actually reached the goal...

I wonder if this experiencie will be different in any way or if it's basically the same as the dsi game.

Each "ride" is it's own themed game with unique mechanics — Indiana Jones style temple raiding, slower paced strategy that only consumes air when you move, a haunted house where ghosts possess blocks, etc.

Most of these haven't been seen state side before, and one of them was straight up just cut from Drill Spirits NA.

There's also a new"casual mode" for this release that rebalances things but no idea what that actually means in practice.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Each "ride" is it's own themed game with unique mechanics — Indiana Jones style temple raiding, slower paced strategy that only consumes air when you move, a haunted house where ghosts possess blocks, etc.

Most of these haven't been seen state side before, and one of them was straight up just cut from Drill Spirits NA.

There's also a new"casual mode" for this release that rebalances things but no idea what that actually means in practice.
The strategy mode you mention was in the DS game, but I don't remember the ghosts, so there must be more modes overall in this release, then :) Thanks!

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I don't particularly care about this game but it gives me hope for the Klonoa Encore thingy to be next after this is out which I'm 110% in.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I remember seeing the Dreamcast version of Mr. Driller on the shelves but I actually never picked it up.
I might correct that and get it on the Switch as it surely is a nice system to play these kind of puzzle games.

Oct 27, 2017

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Just wanted to remind people of the genealogy between this and Dig Dug.
The series stars Susumu Hori, the son of Dig Dug protagonist Taizo Hori and Baraduke protagonist Masuyo "Kissy" Tobi.

Oct 27, 2017
Cautiously optimistic - Mr. Driller is a great arcade-style puzzler and I still fire up the the original on my Wii (it used to be on the eshop) from time to time. I'd play a new entry, but I don't need it in my hands tomorrow.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty hype for it because the only driller game i've played was the first one for PS1 & this installment never came out in the west till now.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in but not super excited since it's a remake instead of a new game and I've played it to death already. I'll see if the new stuff warrants a day 1 full price purchase or if waiting for a sale.

I wish there was a third Mr Driller game on GBA, playing it on the Micro is awesome

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
excited to play it eventually but $30 is probably more than i'd pay for a mr. driller remake - will definitely pick it up in a sale down the road

That's where I'm at as well, maybe if I had some irl friends who were really into it I'd pay $30. As it stands this'll become part of the "play for 15-30 minutes and move on" rotation with games like Killer Queen Black, Astro Duel Deluxe, and and Party Golf. Really fun games I can play with family and friends, but doesn't have the staying power of other bigger local multiplayer titles.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped for it, it's the only game I'm looking forward to at the moment outside of yakuza 7.

I think its £15 in the U.K., day 1 purchase for me.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited. The DS Mr. Driller was actually a pretty big part of my childhood

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm down since I haven't played one since Gameboy color. Hoping for TATE mode.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Only ever played drill spirits but I loved that so I'm pretty hyped here. Not sure I'm day 1 just due to price and other games coming out then.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's Jeremy Parish doing better marketing for the game than Namco.

retronauts.com

Digging into the Mr. Driller DrillLand Remake

An interview with producer Maya Ito as the cutest little GameCube masterpiece makes its way to modern platforms.

I'm definitely on board now, but I'll probably wait for info on physical copies / a discount on the digital version.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's Jeremy Parish doing better marketing for the game than Namco.

retronauts.com

Digging into the Mr. Driller DrillLand Remake

An interview with producer Maya Ito as the cutest little GameCube masterpiece makes its way to modern platforms.

I'm definitely on board now, but I'll probably wait for info on physical copies / a discount on the digital version.

That was a much more informative article than anything I've seen yet.

Also, online leaderboards confirmed! I was worried that was going to be missing, because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
It's out in JP eShop now, with a free demo to boot :)

ec.nintendo.com

ミスタードリラーアンコール ダウンロード版

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「ミスタードリラーアンコール ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。

EDIT: The demo contains 1P World Drill Tour, which represents the classical Mr. Driller gameplay.

Here's a quick recap of the other modes:

Drindy Adventure -- Indiana Jones-inspired temple raiding! Escape boulders and spike traps in your quest for Gold! (Note, the air meter mechanic is entirely absent from this mode.)

The Hole of Druaga -- A slower-paced take on Mr Driller, where air (now HP) is only consumed as you drill. Use the items you collect to strategically change and eliminate different block colors, and rescue Princess Mr Driller from the dragon's hole.

Horror Night House -- Use holy water to trap demons in blocks, then bust 'em and collect their jewels. Like Drindy, this one completely forgoes the whole air meter mechanic.

Star Driller -- Mr Driller in space! Look out for comets and meteors, and collect power-ups to reduce gravity, increase movement speed, etc. But watch out for those wormholes!

Last edited:

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to report that DrillLand is better than ever! Visuals are much sharper and more detailed without any blur or crunchiness. Gameplay is spot on.