Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This chapter was jam packed! So much table setting, plotting, intrigue, so much to talk about. The first prince's assassins, Kacho/Melody/creepy steady-heartbeat glasses guy plots, Fugetsu getting a temporary reprieve via Basho, the potential Halkenburg bombshell, etc. But I think Prince Luzurus was the most interesting part for me. Keep feeling more and more he is being severely underestimated, and I want to know all about it...

Dec 2, 2021
Juicy chapter. Was kind of surprised seeing Ben being nice for once.

Halkenburg's birth? I imagine it's going to be a swerve since I doubt we'd immediately get the Beyond reveal, but I don't know what else would be worth teasing.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Juicy chapter. Was kind of surprised seeing Ben being nice for once.

Halkenburg's birth? I imagine it's going to be a swerve since I doubt we'd immediately get the Beyond reveal, but I don't know what else would be worth teasing.
Yeah, if it's not the Beyond connection, the current guess is that he's actually Unma's son, not Duazul's (based on appearance).

See these panels from back-to-back pages in 375:

TLZXwXx.png

9JePb8j.png

And Unma herself:

ufvOwNp.png

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Btw, for those curious:
No, Luzurus doesn't sound that casual / use that much slang. TCB just butchered his dialogue.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So, uh. Viz did something pretty strange. They blocked out the name of the bioweapon Balsamilco is planning to use. No clue if it has a connection to a real-life weapon, and that's why they did it, but still pretty strange to do that. So for reference, it's "TSK-17".

Bt9czMI.png

3vTZDUA.png

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh. Viz did something pretty strange. They blocked out the name of the bioweapon Balsamilco is planning to use. No clue if it has a connection to a real-life weapon, and that's why they did it, but still pretty strange to do that. So for reference, it's "TSK-17".

Bt9czMI.png

3vTZDUA.png
It's probably a reference to Covid (COV-19). The implication here would be that HxH's China with a hint of Russia developed 'TSK-17' in a lab as a bioweapon, which is not too far off from some real-life fringe theories about Covid, and Viz may not want to open that can of worms.

Either that or another idol group reference.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, this stuff is so engaging. I missed it so much.

Is the official translation good? Just checking because i remember the issues with Jujutsu Kaisen…

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It's probably a reference to Covid (COV-19). The implication here would be that HxH's China with a hint of Russia developed 'TSK-17' in a lab as a bioweapon, which is not too far off from some real-life theories about Covid.
I guess, but even that seems like a stretch. The issue is literally no one (that I saw) made that connection before the official release, so by covering it, you only draw more attention to it. Obviously people reading the official won't know it was there in the first place, but it's gonna be constantly mentioned now. Whereas before, it was just the name of the weapon.

Guess I'll see what Japanese fans are saying about it.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I feel they jumped to the "let's kill Luzurus" conclusion a bit too quickly. Although I suppose they're desperate to find a solution.

Tserriednich's nen beast functioning as an independant battery is an idea I've seen raised many times as an explanation for why he can use his ability in a state of zetsu. Whether or not that's not actually the case, it was nice to see a character consider the possibility.

Basho giving Fugetsu the protective talisman was sweet. He's a good guy.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I feel they jumped to the "let's kill Luzurus" conclusion a bit too quickly. Although I suppose they're desperate to find a solution.
Another agreement here. I have trouble believing he is responsible for Fugetsus condition, for multiple reasons.

Some people on reddit also have crazy interesting speculation about this chapter and various Prince baby swaps. Like Unma might have swapped Halkenburg to queen Duazal to foster, which has been touched on here before, but also Morena and Tseriednich might have been swapped? And Morena is the true heir? Would be a crazy twist.

Togashi! How deep do your rabbit holes go?!

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
So what happens when Kurapica group start infighting? I don't think Basho would like it very much if he found out they trying to murder his prince, especially since he actually seems to like the guy. What if Wobble nen beast was the reason Fugetsu is cursed? Would they go straight to murder too?

Lots of potential for in group drama too that Togashi can explore.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yeah, with Luzurus it felt like they just picked someone at random and decided to fucking kill him. wtf was that

Fugetsu's curse probably came from one of those Beyond kid sacrifices we learned about last week, yeah?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not liking Melody's chances after this chapter. Her camp is acting too rashly and she forwarded their ace in the hole to Kurapika, which is perfect for when their plan inevitably goes south.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens when Kurapica group start infighting? I don't think Basho would like it very much if he found out they trying to murder his prince, especially since he actually seems to like the guy. What if Wobble nen beast was the reason Fugetsu is cursed? Would they go straight to murder too?

Lots of potential for in group drama too that Togashi can explore.
Yeah, at this point, most of Kurapika's associates seem more invested in their respective princes' well-being than in their mission.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
Who's manipulating Kaiser? Was Melody right in assuming he's manipulating himself? (his odd heartbeat during both declarations of love)

Luzurus has a cool character design. The character is very savvy. He's being framed for doing something that I'm not sure he's actually done.

Balsamilco and Silent Killer :( that plan will go poorly.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Btw, there was a mistake in the original Japanese text here. "The Eleventh Prince" was used, but instead of the furigana being "Fugetsu", it was "Kacho". We had "Fugetsu" in our translation, but Viz went with "Kacho". I asked a Japanese fan on Twitter, and they agreed that "Fugetsu" makes more sense in context. But we'll see there.

AqgCau8.png

Red Hunter

May 28, 2024
Btw, there was a mistake in the original Japanese text here. "The Eleventh Prince" was used, but instead of the furigana being "Fugetsu", it was "Kacho". We had "Fugetsu" in our translation, but Viz went with "Kacho". I asked a Japanese fan on Twitter, and they agreed that "Fugetsu" makes more sense in context. But we'll see there.

AqgCau8.png
It's a weird situation where both names feasibly make sense. Fugetsu for obvious reasons since she's sickly (and still alive), but also Kacho since they would want to keep hiding the fact that she died in case the princes try to question how Kacho knew so much upon reading their letters.

Last edited:

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
I missed Kaiser mentioning that Halkenburg's collapsed into illness. Oops.

I like the "Halkenburg & Tserriednich were swapped while young" theory (not with each other, just something they had in common). They get on well, Halkenburg has a poor relationship with his mother, and Tserriednich hates deceitful women. If that didn't start with his mom, I'd be shocked.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I missed Kaiser mentioning that Halkenburg's collapsed into illness. Oops.
Though to clarify: while the verb can mean to "fall ill", it literally just means to fall/collapse. So he wasn't necessarily affected by the bioweapon already. The guess is that Halkenburg used his GSB's ability to take over someone. Though obviously the issue there is that it was stated to use one of his followers, but maybe if he's by himself, it's able to use him.
It's probably a reference to Covid (COV-19). The implication here would be that HxH's China with a hint of Russia developed 'TSK-17' in a lab as a bioweapon, which is not too far off from some real-life fringe theories about Covid, and Viz may not want to open that can of worms.

Either that or another idol group reference.
Btw, I contacted Viz's editor for the series, and they seemed confused at first. I gave them the pics, and they said, "Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll talk to the letterer. Don't know what happened there."

So they most likely just forgot to add it if they get the pages without text on them.

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Though to clarify: while the verb can mean to "fall ill", it literally just means to fall/collapse. So he wasn't necessarily affected by the bioweapon already. The guess is that Halkenburg used his GSB's ability to take over someone. Though obviously the issue there is that it was stated to use one of his followers, but maybe if he's by himself, it's able to use him.

Btw, I contacted Viz's editor for the series, and they seemed confused at first. I gave them the pics, and they said, "Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll talk to the letterer. Don't know what happened there."

So they most likely just forgot to add it if they get the pages without text on them.
Interesting. Wonder if they'll be able to fix it for the volume release?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go back and reread the arc from where the anime ended. I remembered the basics but there are so many side characters and plotlines that even I was losing some of the nuance to things. Damn good stuff though now that I'm refreshed and caught back up. Beyond all of a sudden is a main player in nearly every aspect of the shit going down on the boat.