collige

Oct 31, 2017
If he played Bayo maybe they'd hate him yeah (as I understand it puff is like Smash 4 Bayo, except Bayo doesn't have Fox to keep her in check)
I don't play 4 so I can't speak conclusively, but from what I know they're not really comparable. Bayo is pretty universally agreed to be the best character while Hbox's is just freakishly good at a high tier that people don't have much practice against.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
saw this on twitter and got a chuckle out of me

dkbbgdiwsaasmpzbtf9m.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
saw this on twitter and got a chuckle out of me

dkbbgdiwsaasmpzbtf9m.jpg

I mean, it could have also been because he had been trying to get that big win for so many years, and his dad (who died some time after abandoning his family) told him he would never achieve anything in this game. Not that it excuses some of the things hes said, but belittling someone for being emotional seems a bit petty.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it could have also been because he had been trying to get that big win for so many years, and his dad (who died some time after abandoning his family) told him he would never achieve anything in this game. Not that it excuses some of the things hes said, but belittling someone for being emotional seems a bit petty.
nah memes too important
gotta get it in in a thread about unnecessary hate hbox gets

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
nah memes too important

...what ? Surely you both know it's a montage and that the context is referring to his petty behaviour on twitter ?

You seriously need to stop pushing his past all the time to justify who he is. This isn't a movie.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Smash documentary kinda sets off everyone's role that will not change, even if that's not the real story behind these people.

The Melee community sees it as their bible or something. They always talk about "The Story". Rivalries, trash talks, gods and villains; you name it. From that point on, everyone's in "The Story" are seen in a certain way, even if they have changed. I know HBox was disliked back when the scene was small and still growing, but I believe he changed since then. I didn't keep up much with Melee's history nor do I know much of it, but from what I recall, HBox and Mang0 were never on good terms. They kind of sorted things out between them but they've never been friends. With the drama between these two top players, some people in the community started to take sides. Stories, or rather one-sided stories, started to spread about HBox. What happened today at Smash Con is one example of the one-sided stories that HBox deals with, at least that's how I see it. People in the community dislike him for reasons the best way I can describe them is childish. I'm trying to understand why the amount of hate is geared toward one person...but I can't. You don't like the guy? That's cool but why do you have to be this toxic towards him just for not liking his personality? It just rubs me the wrong way. Leffen was seen as a "villain" in the community at one point but was he ever hated this much? Ironically, Leffen now has quite the fan following from the Melee community now.

What's funny to me is seeing someone who actually promotes this toxic behavior be on an official Nintendo stream. Leffen was on the Treehouse Smash Ultimate showcase back in E3. I find it hilarious you can't cuss cuz it's"eSports" but promoting toxic players on your official stream is A-OK? Really Nintendo? but I digress.

I hope something comes out of this. The Melee community is one of the most toxic ones out there. It is one of the reasons why I prefer Sm4sh's community better. It has its share of drama, but never this toxic.

Sorry if this is incoherent and all over the place. It's late here and I need to sleep. Thought I'd share my two cents in the topic before I do that

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know a ton about him but he seemed kinda like a dickhead during that match with Reggie "I don't need your job boy, I'm an Engineer" only to realize his mistake later on Twitter(even if you're joking or trash talking, there's a right time and place for certain words to be said.....not when Reggie fucking Fils-Aime tells you that he's ready to offer you a job). As a general rule though, if everyone around you hates you or won't side with you(in this case the top players, not the community at large), there's probably a reason.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Smash community is most likely the shittiest sub community in the FGC.

It's not even just because their kids, some of these guys are full grown adults and still act like a bunch of children

Way too many examples, if I were Hbox I'd focus more on the engineering career.

Melee community is so bad and smash 4 is probably worse. I'm a huge smash fan and I love watching it competitively but I don't blame Nintendo for giving 0 fucks about these guys.

Armada is probably the most mature out of all of them, add in organizers like Bear as well. But dear lord, these guys man

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I saw Hungrybox at a grocery store in Florida yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

edit: jokes aside I do feel like Hbox gets a LOT of undeserved hate. Some people should worry about their own lives instead of casting shade on others. Hbox should really take a break.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

It's not even just because their kids, some of these guys are full grown adults and still act like a bunch of children

Way too many examples, if I were Hbox I'd focus more on the engineering career.

Melee community is so bad and smash 4 is probably worse. I'm a huge smash fan and I love watching it competitively but I don't blame Nintendo for giving 0 fucks about these guys.

Armada is probably the most mature out of all of them, add in organizers like Bear as well. But dear lord, these guys man

I absolutely agree with everything you just posted. They give melee a really bad reputation imho

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Hungrybox also pretended to SD, purposefully sat there getting hit by lasers and couldn't stop looking at the crowd. All mid set. You could tell he was done caring. I feel like a lot of the outraged people didn't even watch the set.

It wasn't just the watch thing. That said, HugS and Leffen didn't need to chime in and make the situation worse.

And sure, some of the Smash fanbase is toxic, but Hbox is no angel and if you've actually participated in the melee community in any real capacity you'd know that.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
It was not a money match then.

Still, that tweet shows how entitled Hungrybox is, don't know why some top smash players want to get a vip treatement

The whole point of fighting game tournaments is that everyone is on an even field
Yeah, If you need to get to a setup. Wait like everyone else or prepare.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

I have to agree. I know both the Melee and 4 communities do have value to people, as Pixel pointed out, but my experiences with the smash community have unfortunately been really negative due to the childishness. Had a few friends who got sucked in at the end of their college careers and ended up failing a few classes and taking 2+ extra years to graduate (if they even have), while not working a job and cutting off their non smash friends. It just makes me wary of the community as a whole.

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hungrybox also pretended to SD, purposefully sat there getting hit by lasers and couldn't stop looking at the crowd. All mid set. You could tell he was done caring. I feel like a lot of the outraged people didn't even watch the set.
i'd accept that...if all the drama actually wasn't over his fucking watch lol

And sure, some of the Smash fanbase is toxic, but Hbox is no angel and if you've actually participated in the melee community in any real capacity you'd know that.
please enlighten everyone

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
If online is good the Ultimate community has a chance of being very positive and less toxic. Look at how positive the Splatoon community is compared to Smash.

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
This is why Melee shouldn't be at Evo - the whole concept of the "gods of Melee" basically exists to circlejerk a bunch of egos that are volatile and lash out for no reason.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9145

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If online is good the Ultimate community has a chance of being very positive and less toxic. Look at how positive the Splatoon community is compared to Smash.

Smash's problem is the people who are already ingrained in the community

this goes for both communities

and chances are a majority of Smash 4's community will move on to Ultimate as well

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Is Hunnybox considered one of the 'gods' of smash?

Edit: On a serious note, how is looking at your watch disrespectful when playing a game?

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno what toxic means but this just looks like drama queens who have let the power of nerds liking their tweets go to their heads

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Smash Community thrives on this drama BS.

Its why it's so toxic.

More of a reality show than a fighting game community. Nobody talks about the game just their drama queen crap.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Is Hunnybox considered one of the 'gods' of smash?

Edit: On a serious note, how is looking at your watch disrespectful when playing a game?
Hugs's argument was that it made it seem like Hbox didn't care about the match and that it took away the gravitas from Mew2king's win. (which was a big deal)

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Smash's problem is the people who are already ingrained in the community

this goes for both communities

and chances are a majority of Smash 4's community will move on to Ultimate as well
True, but I think the new blood provided by functional online could help dilute the influence of oldtimers. If the barrier for participation in the community is lower (i.e. flying out vs. online), I could see the culture changing a bit. Just a hypothetical though.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The community really killed any serious chance smash has continuing in the future of esports. Like they'll prop up melees corpse for a while, but it'll die cus who the fuck wants to even talk to them let alone play with them.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
What toxic stuff has Hungrybox done that no other top player had done? People keep riding this hate train, but I don't get the hate? I haven't seen anything other than the fact thet people hate Jigglypuff.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the Melee community is pretty messd up

The only one I really have any respect for is Armada.. Hungrybox, Mang0 and Leffen are players I just find extremely hard to like the slightest.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Its the small things

That then get multiplied by x1000 because reasons.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From all the shit I've heard about them it seems like the smash community lives a life of perceived slights.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Honestly I haven't liked him since his game with Reggie and how he acted afterwards, plus his constant "notice me senpai" attitude towards Nintendo in regards to Melee tournaments. I had no idea about the rest of this stuff though, holy shit.

Feb 24, 2018
If Nintendo did ever get into Competitive Smash, they'd make their own events and league to avoid being associated with all this toxicity and hate, like what they did with Pokemon competitive because of the attitudes of Smogon.

Also what's the evidence of Leffen, I don't feel comfortable opening a zip file here.

And does none of these events have organizers that can deal with crappy crowds or players? Feels like Smash needs to introduce a real life ref system.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo did ever get into Competitive Smash, they'd make their own events and league to avoid being associated with all this toxicity and hate, like what they did with Pokemon competitive because of the attitudes of Smogon.

Also what's the evidence of Leffen, I don't feel comfortable opening a zip file here.

And does none of these events have organizers that can deal with crappy crowds or players? Feels like Smash needs to introduce a real life ref system.

You mean evidence.zip?i think it was just a file made by armada that said all the toxic shit leffen did. It basicammy explained why armada was banning leffen for a year.

Feb 24, 2018
He threw his headset on the floor and when the crowd was shouting "One more stock" he turned around and mocked them then the next game he was constantly checking his watch and looking like he was putting no effort into the game. If you wanted to waste everyones time, maybe don't play. He spent more time looking at his watch than actually putting in effort.

Way to show your fans that flew out to see you a great game of melee.

Sounds like the crowd weren't being the best there either, don't expect the band to stay on or do encores if the crowds has been poorly behaved. This and so many other incidents (both with Melee and WiiU) have proven to me that Smash live audiences are crappy and need to be dealt with to cut crap like this out.

Not saying HB is a good or bad guy, just saying time and again these audiences are allowed to go unchecked in their toxic behaviour.

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah because sexual assault and attempted vehicular manslaughter from Smash 4 players is so much better...
These people need to be banned or addressed individually, and to say hundreds of thousands of people should be prevented from doing what they enjoy because of your ineptitude at interpreting information only speaks volumes about yourself.

Wait what?!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if the smash community would have turned out less toxic if Nintendo had given the competitive scene the time of day years ago. It almost feels like this collective toxic behavior was borne out of a group of people with a victim complex due to how poorly Nintendo treated the community for so many years (and still, honestly). There's no excuse for toxic behavior, but sometimes you have to step back and wonder how it got this bad in the first place.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People call out and ridicule the melee community all the time. Whether it's them being insular/elitist, notoriously smelling bad, mandating ridiculous rules to cater to them like CRTs, shitting on Sakurai and/or newer Smash games for various reason, or spreading stories (which are apparently true) like that of a top player jacking off on the couch of someone who is hosting him.

It's been an open not-secret what a cesspool it is.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton

The toxic stuff mostly comes from social media/twitch chat. Smash kids don't really have the nerves to be shitty in person.

Hell, Smash crowds are usually pretty positive. If someone starts camping/ledge stalling, or something silly like a player rocking back and forth on a chair, they start chanting. I was part of it at last years GOML. The toxic people are just dumbasses hiding behind the internet.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine what its like to be Hbox. Literally no one is happy when he wins a tournament. I still remember him beating Plup in Grand Finals at The Big House 7 and the entire crowed just deflated, literally no one clapped for him. He's surrounded by people that hate his guts because they hate his playstyle.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what its like to be Hbox. Literally no one is happy when he wins a tournament. I still remember him beating Plup in Grand Finals at The Big House 7 and the entire crowed just deflated, literally no one clapped for him. He's surrounded by people that hate his guts because they hate his playstyle.
I think Hungrybox is just as toxic as the rest of the top level melee players, but It's ludicrous to me that because he doesn't conform to using one of the top characters everyone else uses he disproportionately gets shit. The melee community is like a snake eating itself. It grows smaller each year and sooner or later it will cease to exist. There's no one new that wants to pick up Melee of all things. It's the same 8 or so people going around in circles, and they're basically all toxic. That's why the community is stagnant and the way it is and why other fighters' communities don't have problems this extensive (not that they don't have their own share of toxicity, but it's nothing compared to what the Melee people display).

Oct 28, 2017

If I were him, I wouldn't give a shit so long I get paid. He's got a day job unlike the rest of these nerds, the game shouldn't define his life.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What the fuck

You're telling me a Smash competitor tried to kill other players and they let the person play?

There's another one currently being sued for sexual assault and grooming minors who can't get banned from entering because he is threatening to sue tournament organizers. Shit is wild.

Nani the fuck?!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 was better community-wise. Used to play with some of the top players in Texas and they were pretty chill. Melee players have always been crazy.