atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who kickstarted this to get the games on Vita, but never bought anything else besides those two main games, this is a hell of a bundle

nevermind that my VN backlog is already pretty absurd, I doubt it'll ever be cheaper than this

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
store.steampowered.com

Muv-Luv MEGAVERSE on Steam

The Humble bundle is an absolute bargain even compared to this bundle which is already more than 50% off all up. This summer Humble and Steam are drying up my wallet

There's been multiple times throughout the years that I was tempted to buy it on Steam - always thought it would never go in a bundle and I should get it.

(That and Kingdom Hearts coming to steam would never happen)

Both happened , so never say never lol

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
As someone who loves Fata Morgana, but really couldn't click with Umineko (mainly due to the protagonist's "inner voice"), and also noped heavily out of Raging Loop for a similar reason - am I likely to be able to enjoy these games?
No way in hell I'd ever call this peak but it does have some good twists. if it could be less horny then I would say it's peak.

If you hate hentai/hentai adjacent design tho RIP. Lots of unnecessary stuff here.
This makes me feel like it's really not for me though!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
We need more eyes on this to get Schwarzesmarken translated.

That's the only remaining game indeed to get an english translation.

As someone who loves Fata Morgana, but really couldn't click with Umineko (mainly due to the protagonist's "inner voice"), and also noped heavily out of Raging Loop for a similar reason - am I likely to be able to enjoy these games?

This makes me feel like it's really not for me though!

If you have an issue with inner monologues, I don't think so.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
I actually bought the original way back when but haven't gotten around to getting to it. Doubt all this stuff will ever get cheaper so might as well.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If you have an issue with inner monologues, I don't think so.
Inner monologues themselves aren't the problem. It's lines in them like "Any girl's room is a Wonderland to me" (Raging Loop) and "Give it a few more years and she'll suddenly start looking feminine" (Umineko) that put me off, to pick a couple of examples from the prologues of these games. I just don't have time for it. That's what I'm trying to find out is whether there's stuff like this in there.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
We need more eyes on this to get Schwarzesmarken translated.
This is the only Muv Luv spinoff I've actually been interested in and it's also the one untranslated one lol.
So... how is Muv-Luv? I love Fata Morgana and When They Cry
It's peak...but with the following caveats.
  • Muv Luv "Extra", which is the first half of the first game, is a purposefully ultra-generic romantic comedy. It can actually be really funny at times and the heroines are all likable, but it can also drag at points. It's also mandatory to play it, because it ties into everything else even if it might not be apparent at first where the story is going with it.
  • Muv Luv "Unlimited", which is the second half of the first game, doesn't really deliver on its full potential as a mecha game as there's barely any action.
  • Muv Luv "Alternative", which is the sequel and the one everyone (myself included) is nuts about, is basically just a retread of Unlimited for the first 20% or so of it.
Everything I just described makes up around the first 35-40% or so of Muv Luv as a whole. I might not make it sound super appealing, but I do actually like all of it quite a bit. Everything after this point though, is peak fiction. I like to say that Muv Luv will take you two weeks to read the first half because you'll just be reading it casually while doing other stuff, and two days to read the second half because you'll forget to eat or sleep.

Inner monologues themselves aren't the problem. It's lines in them like "Any girl's room is a Wonderland to me" (Raging Loop) and "Give it a few more years and she'll suddenly start looking feminine" (Umineko) that put me off, to pick a couple of examples from the prologues of these games. I just don't have time for it. That's what I'm trying to find out is whether there's stuff like this in there.
One thing I think Muv Luv does excellently is Shirogane's "stream of consciousness" narration. There's very little narrating for the sake of narrating, or for the benefit of the reader. All of the narration feels like it's naturally his thought process, and in that regard it's actually some of the best done narration in the medium. There are also some scenes later in Alternative that aren't from his perspective, and those don't have any narration at all which I thought was neat.

Shirogane is also a dumb bratty high school boy though. I wouldn't call him a creep at all, but there's parts where you want to hit him. This is intentional, a good amount of Alternative is spent brutally tearing him down and building him back up again.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
One thing I think Muv Luv does excellently is Shirogane's "stream of consciousness" narration. There's very little narrating for the sake of narrating, or for the benefit of the reader. All of the narration feels like it's naturally his thought process, and in that regard it's actually some of the best done narration in the medium. There are also some scenes later in Alternative that aren't from his perspective, and those don't have any narration at all which I thought was neat.

Shirogane is also a dumb bratty high school boy though. I wouldn't call him a creep at all, but there's parts where you want to hit him. This is intentional, a good amount of Alternative is spent brutally tearing him down and building him back up again.
Thanks, that's very helpful. And based on that I can possibly see why Alternative is so well loved!

2 gifts from Dandy Crocodile

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Dandy Crocodile Dandy Crocodile!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Muv-Luv Extra & Unlimited - Won by Infinite Ukemi Infinite Ukemi (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Muv-Luv Alternative - Won by Kneefoil Kneefoil (3 entries)

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long while now since GiftBot last graced me with video games. Praise be!

Thanks, Dandy Crocodile! I was a bit iffy about getting the bundle since Alternative, which is supposedly the really good shit, is locked in a higher tier, but getting it like this practically cuts down the price getting into the series in half. Lucky get!

I still have to finish Witch on the Holy Night before I start another VN, though.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any advice on which tier to get? There's a lot of spinoffs, extras, whatchamacallits, etc.

Ryuman

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone have any advice on which tier to get? There's a lot of spinoffs, extras, whatchamacallits, etc.
If you want the main games then you need the 9 game bundle because that's where Muv-Luv Alternative (the one with real acclaim) is included. It's the second highest tier though so it's up to you to decide if the extra few bucks for the last spinoff in the bundle is worth it.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 4 hours left and I haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger or not. 😬

The biggest reason people are recommending this is the quality of Alternative. But that aside, is the overall premise of the series interesting? What can be said about the series besides it is good?

And what's up with the manga? Is it important to the rest of the series?

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Less than 4 hours left and I haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger or not. 😬

The biggest reason people are recommending this is the quality of Alternative. But that aside, is the overall premise of the series interesting? What can be said about the series besides it is good?

And what's up with the manga? Is it important to the rest of the series?
it's great

thanks for the reminder

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Big thanks to everyone who posted in this thread with impressions, I took the plunge and have been having a blast with the main trilogy 🙂 Am 12 ish hours into Alternative.

Though I definitely don't disagree with some criticisms, I was surprised how quickly Extra and Unlimited went by for me. Probably helps I like that style of introspective writing you get from the protagonist's narration.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I have Muv Luv, Alternative, Photonflowers and Photonmelodies and have just recently been thinking about getting the rest as they go on sale. This seems like a perfect time because even at $26 it'll still save a lot of money despite owning some of it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the bump on this - I wasn't sure about buying these a week ago, but given it's £20 for me for £200 worth of games I was thinking of eventually playing at some point it was a no brainer!

Coffey

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the bump, also. I've been doing my usual humming and hawing whether to buy or not, before frantically buying shortly before then offer ends.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to get the VN bundle, but not the manga one. It seems the manga is just an adaptation of Alternative.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the trilogy already(which I haven't read), I'm just wondering if I should get bundle for the rest... mmm.