Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
www.humblebundle.com

The Many Worlds of Muv-Luv

Own the complete official translation of the revered visual novel series Muv-Luv! What starts out as a goofy rom-com goes to some far-out places. See what all the fuss is about.

$12 USD Tier
Muv-Luv
Muv-Luv Photonflowers
Muv-Luv Unlimited - The Day After - Episode 00 Remastered

$15 USD Tier
Muv-Luv Photonmelodies
Muv-Luv Unlimited - The Day After - Episode 01 Remastered
Muv-Luv Unlimited - The Day After - Episode 02 Remastered
Muv-Luv Unlimited - The Day After - Episode 03 Remastered

$21 USD Tier
Muv-Luv Alternative
The Imperial Capital Burns - Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse

$26 USD Tier
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Remastered

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This worth if I already have muv-luv and alternative?

Really should go through these VNs at some point considering the hype behind them.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I was planning to buy the Total Eclipse VN this Steam Summer Sale anyways, so very interested. Is this like GMG where I need a certain "level" to get the best deal?

OP
OP
Catchphrase

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
I was planning to buy the Total Eclipse VN this Steam Summer Sale anyways, so very interested. Is this like GMG where I need a certain "level" to get the best deal?
No, there's no extra discount like with the XP offers on GMG. You just have to spend at least a certain amount to get the games you want.
So in this bundle, if you spend at least $26, you'll get all the games in the bundle. If someone doesn't want Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Remastered but wants the rest, they only need to spend $21.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Wow, this is the entire collection that's available on Steam, which goes for over €100 even on sale.

This is such a steal.

Do the Day After entries come with the manga? I think you get the manga if you purchase through Steam.

Edit: so I remembered incorrectly. The manga is available as DLC for Muv-Luv on Steam and isn't included in the Steam bundle. But there is a bundle for it on Humblebundle.com as well!

humblebundle.com

Humble Manga Bundle: Muv-Luv Alternative Manga Anthology

The highest-rated visual novel of all time is now a manga! Get Muv-Luv Alternative & jump right into the saga at its most intense & action-packed.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i haven't read a visual novel in a long time
i've heard great things
should i do it?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
No, there's no extra discount like with the XP offers on GMG. You just have to spend at least a certain amount to get the games you want.
So in this bundle, if you spend at least $26, you'll get all the games in the bundle. If someone doesn't want Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Remastered but wants the rest, they only need to spend $21.
Amazing deal.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
So... how is Muv-Luv? I love Fata Morgana and When They Cry
Honestly? Overrated. Not to say they aren't good, but getting through Muv Luv Extra just to get to the "good stuff" which ended up not actually being that great felt like the most sunk cost fallacy thing I've ever fallen into. The ending for Alternative was especially bittersweet but felt a tad too bitter.

I love Fata Morgana and When They Cry as well and consider them some of my all time favourite VNs. Despite how long they are (especially the latter), the pay-off felt 100% worth it. I ended up liking or at least sympathising with just about all characters in each series by the end of them. I struggled to care about any of Muv Luv's characters too much, and the "build up" with Extra didn't actually provide good character development imho.

The thing I enjoyed most about Muv Luv were probably the aliens and the invasion stuff, since I found the "lore" with that semi-interesting. There was also a fair amount of padding with basically repeated dialogue from what I remember, especially in Alternative, which really made it feel all the more of a slug to get through.

I would say they're maybe worth playing if you're into sci-fi settings or just really want to see what all the fuss is about. They're good but not great games in my opinion. They have their moments of greatness but there's far too much empty dialogue, long boring sections and other annoyances for my liking.

Last edited:

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
So... how is Muv-Luv? I love Fata Morgana and When They Cry

It's good, like a 7/10 for me tbh. I would make sure not to have extremely high expectations going in. I wouldn't say that Alternative impressive story/characterwise as those two, but it still has some of the best production values among VNs even almost 20 years later.

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
i've heard great things
should i do it?

Up to you, but the main trilogy is pretty long at ~ 80 hours and I wouldn't say it gets "good" until third game which starts after ~ 30 hours. so be aware of the time commitment first lol.

Also for anyone that's played the spin-offs Total Eclipse and TDA. Is it true that they're kind of unfinished? or end as sequelbait

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Up to you, but the main trilogy is pretty long at ~ 80 hours and I wouldn't say it gets "good" until third game which starts after ~ 30 hours. so be aware of the time commitment first lol.

Also for anyone that's played the spin-offs Total Eclipse and TDA. Is it true that they're kind of unfinished? or end as sequelbait

I loved Extra and Unlimited as far as I'm concerned, so I guess it'd depend on a person to another. I'm saying that because I got into Extra and Unlimited thinking I wouldn't like it and ended up loving it.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I might give this another shot, but I tried out the original Muv Luv back when the games came to the Vita and it was just completely insufferable. For me, the time investment didn't seem worth it when there are other VNs that are fascinating right out of the gate (i.e. Fata Morgana)

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (4 days): Crass inappropriate driveby. History of the same.
Oh cool, a gooner bundle. Have fun gooning ig.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
i've heard great things
should i do it?
I'm a bit of a hater myself and definitely an outlier, so definitely pay attention to everyone replying, but:

I was told starting the main trilogy that it's worth pushing through Muv Luv Extra (the first game) to get to The Good Stuff. I'm not saying there's nothing good at the end of this thing (there are parts I like I promise), but in the end I think extra is the part I look back on most fondly. And it's still not super great! The characters and themes are not deep enough to carry a trilogy for the most part, so there's a lot of wheel spinning and stuff that ultimately doesn't matter. I'd try and get engaged with the story, lock onto things that seemed important, think about the characters deeply, and I would often even be right but in a deeply boring way. The story is fundamentally uninterested in a lot of its most interesting ideas, the protagonist's development being one of the bigger missed opportunities imo.

On top of that the writing can be very conservative, even for the time. There's a...we'll say, a Character With Gender™, who is broadly handled confusingly at best and poorly at worst. And without getting into spoilery details, there's a real move towards making war apolitical, which I don't think serves some of the best parts of the story.

I remember reading someone involved with muv luv was getting into NFTs and I was unsurprised, lol.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing deal!
I paid way for the collection during the Steam summer sale a few years ago.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I read the Muv Luvs through Alternative. I guess this goes without saying when it comes to visual novels, but I found them to be an acquired taste.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I feel like I slipped into an alternate universe lol.
Never heard anything about this ever, and yet every reply is talking about it like its this thing that everyone knows about

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard anything about this ever, and yet every reply is talking about it like its this thing that everyone knows about

It's the kind of game that can be enjoyable pulp depending on your tolerance levels for... questionable character designs and anime tropes. So it makes it hard to recommend without attaching like five asterisks.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to dig in but I feel I would never get through these in my lifetime. Nevermind that I might just start with the first one and not manage to finish it.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very high rated visual novel series from Japan, but since it started with adult only games (kinda like Fate/Stay Night or Utawarerumono) it's not easy to casually talk about it. And unlike Fate it didn't have an all-ages anime adaptation for years

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Muv Luv Total Eclipse anime adaption was in 2012 and that isn't even the original entry. It's not even close to an unknown property.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
It's a series that was only available in English via fan translation for a long time, but also on VNDB Muv Luv Alternative is currently the second highest rated VN aside from steins;gate. So it's a series that is very popular with a lot of dedicated visual novel fans, but then has not had much traction outside of that.

Which might be why you've never heard of it!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sep 23, 2018
I think I fucked myself out of really liking Visual Novels, mainly because of first two I played.

I really enjoyed Root Letter and liked the pace of the game, the mystery and narrative. I wanted more games like this.
I then played Steins Gate shortly after it. I fell in love. Steins Gate was so goddam compelling I bought a bunch of other VNs on Vita based on how much of an impact it and Root Letter had: Muv Luv Collection, Nurse Love duology, Chaos Child and others.

I played the first Nurse Love Syndrome, but I only know that because of some trophies on my profile. I do not remember a single thing about it. I know I've played the first Muv Luv Extra at least twice but I couldn't tell you what happened either time.
I know that in one of these games you live in a house beside an over the top childhood (girl)friend, but honestly that could be Doki Doki Literature Club. I know I enjoyed that one.

And because of how great ML Alternative is meant to be, I want to play it but I don't want to not get the story, but I know I'll burn out of I try to play extra again.

I'll probably buy this bundle.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Muv-luv Alternative is the absolute peak of the VN medium imo, grab this bundle if you have any interest in reading a visual novel one day. You're going to have to go through Extra and Unlimited before, and you're probably going to wonder why is everyone praising this franchise while reading them, but it's worth pushing through.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It's a series that was only available in English via fan translation for a long time, but also on VNDB Muv Luv Alternative is currently the second highest rated VN aside from steins;gate. So it's a series that is very popular with a lot of dedicated visual novel fans, but then has not had much traction outside of that.

Which might be why you've never heard of it!
Thats the weird part, I've heard of Steins;gate, I love the Nonary games, Ace attorney, Danganronpa.... its just weird to me that I've never heard anything about it lol

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Thats the weird part, I've heard of Steins;gate, I love the Nonary games, Ace attorney, Danganronpa.... its just weird to me that I've never heard anything about it lol

All the games you listed either had an anime adaptation or are popular outside VN reader circles due to having strong gameplay elements for a VN. Muv-luv is a classic VN in the sense that it's 99.9% reading and just offers some choices here and there, and it didn't have a proper anime adaptation until last year (it bombed as it was extremely rushed). It remains well known only among VN readers, and it's probably not going to change now.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
All the games you listed either had an anime adaptation or are popular outside VN reader circles due to having strong gameplay elements for a VN. Muv-luv is a classic VN in the sense that it's 99.9% reading and just offers some choices here and there, and it didn't have a proper anime adaptation until last year (it bombed as it was extremely rushed). It remains well known only among VN readers, and it's probably not going to change now.
ah yep, that makes sense

Oct 27, 2017
Muv-luv Alternative is the absolute peak of the VN medium imo, grab this bundle if you have any interest in reading a visual novel one day. You're going to have to go through Extra and Unlimited before, and you're probably going to wonder why is everyone praising this franchise while reading them, but it's worth pushing through.

This reads just like 'you gotta get through route B of Nier Automata, it's worth it!

Apr 24, 2018
Never done a Humble Bundle before...I assume these are Steam Keys? Always been kinda interested in checking the Muv-Luv VNs out.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Alternative is the best part? I tried Extra and it was just ok with the two heroines. I'm guessing it goes in this order: Extra->Ublimited->Alternative?

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
So Alternative is the best part? I tried Extra and it was just ok with the two heroines. I'm guessing it goes in this order: Extra->Ublimited->Alternative?

Yep! Allthough I'd also reccomend doing at least the Miki and Kei routes in Extra before moving onto the other titles (though not required if you find it a drag). Helps give some context for things in Alternative.

No way in hell I'd ever call this peak but it does have some good twists. if it could be less horny then I would say it's peak.

If you hate hentai/hentai adjacent design tho RIP. Lots of unnecessary stuff here.

A here is a present for those that have read these VN's already

the whiplash I felt when I saw the female pilotsuits for the first time lmaoo

Last edited:

Layla

Oct 25, 2017

yes, Alternative is what the series reputation almost entirely rests on.
if it was just Extra & Unlimited then people would (justly) regard it as kinda average.
I do like the bleakness of Total Eclipse tho.

play order:
the main story: Muv Luv has two parts, Extra and Unlimited, play them in that order, then play Alternative.
Eclipse story is set in the same universe as Alternative but separate: Imperial Capital Burns, then Total Eclipse.
the rest are side stories, fan discs, parodies etc that can be read afterwards in any order you want. some are comedy, some are depressing.

there is also a third main story Schwarzesmarken set in the Alterative universe but it has yet to be localized so is not part of this bundle. there is an anime adaption if you really want to watch that.

Last edited: