Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
also what do I do with independent city states? My area just got surrounded by hostile ones, or are these the equivalent of barbarians? Can I just take their outposts or are there reparations

They're closer to city states I guess. Or maybe kind of like barbarians in the new barb mode they added in Civ VI where they eventually settled into a city state.

You can hire their troops as mercenaries, attack them, gain influence over them and assimilate them into your empire as a new city, or just build up relations with the aggressive ones so they don't attack you. Eventually they'll despawn.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out I was steamrolling even more than I thought - pretty much everything was taking one turn to build, but that's because my industry was way off the charts. So I was only selecting, say, a Maker's Quarter to build, which only cost 600 Industry, when I was producing like 3000+ per city per turn. I eventually started queuing things up and suddenly every city had building built, and I was putting up like 4-5 districts per turn.

Eventually my stability took a hit but like... it was the end of the game so it didn't matter.

The later stages were super boring, but like, I definitely overestimated how tough the game would be, so I'll try again on a tougher level. It's also possibly the Harappans are super OP, because that extra food snowballs into so much of everything. My capital had a population of 90+ by the end.

Kinda janky and hard to parse things, but overall I'm enjoying it. I can definitely see the content running short and the gameplay getting repetitive, though - odds are I'll put this one on the shelf until we get some expansion packs or DLC or whatever.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
You build one train station and the world hates you because you are the top polluter.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
Some initial impressions:
  • Not too sure about Culture balance. Harappan, Egypt, and Zhou all seem decent for Ancient Era civs. Huns can't expand without warfare, but their unique unit seems to be incredible and pretty well suited to an early rush seeing as you can get into Classical fairly quickly, and there isn't really a readily available counter for other civs outside of another strong UU. Khmer seems the standout pick for Medieval with a strong district. Franks aren't bad either, and scouts seem to be able to upgrade into their UU, which is decent if you didn't take Huns in Classical. Some of the later Cultures also seem very strong (Turks and Swedes are pretty good if you're ahead and just need to end the game with a tech ending), but by that time the game seems to be mostly done.
  • Cumulative bonuses really make your FIDS (or whatever it's called here) production go out of control from about Early Modern onwards. Growth is pretty much quadratic at that point with how strong the later Cultures' districts and bonuses are, and you end up building everything or researching everything in one (or a few) turns.
  • Influence seems to lose a lot of value from the midgame onwards, since your production usually significantly outstrips requirements for civic adoption, outpost attachment, and buying wonders at that point (and you can found cities with settlers rather than influence). I'm not sure what the appeal of taking lategame Aesthete cultures is.
  • Industry looks as important as in Civ games, and pretty much all your cities seem to need a large industrial base. Right now I think I favour building heavy Makers districts pretty much as early as possible and as often as possible, but I might just not know how to play a proper Gold-oriented strategy. Using pop to rush build looks like it's incredibly inefficient due to the awful pop to industry ratio.
  • Strategic resources should probably be more available. Lack of a specific strategic resource can create some big gaps in what you can build and do, and it's not always easy to open a trade route without having to adopt a Merchant culture. Oil's also pretty scarce, which might make a lategame mop-up take longer than you'd like.
  • Luxury resources seem powerful, and the wondrous bonuses from manufactories are very strong. I think I'd prioritise beelining Patronage just to have the ability to get those empire-wide bonuses. They also cost next to no industry to build in comparison to other infrastructure.
  • Wonders barely seem worthwhile. Possibly an early Hanging Garden for a wondrous bonus seems okay, but most of them don't feel very exciting to build given the large industry and influence hit. The lategame wonders are very strong, but come far too late to make any real difference.
  • Religion provides some decent supplemental bonuses, but doesn't seem very strong, and the faith system seems somewhat underdeveloped in general. I think I built Holy Sites more for stability than faith. I also often hit the Irreligion civic in the midgame and didn't quite know how I got there, and that essentially tanked all my tenets. It might be helpful to better understand how the end-of-tree civics interact with your ideology choices.
  • I don't think I used many of the affinity abilities and should probably use them more often.
  • War feels more streamlined than in Old World and Civ. It's nice to have the option to auto-resolve for less important skirmishes, though the odds shown on auto-resolve is often very misleading. Small strength differences seem to matter a lot more than in Civ too, which makes those +1 strength bonuses more valuable.

Last edited:

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Came in 2nd on Easy and didn't have time to reach the last era.

Not sure how I feel about that.

If you look at your empire screen you can see how to obtain era stars. The top one with the laurel around it gives bonus fame. I believe it's sometimes better to postpone entering a new era, and try finish up some current era stars quickly.

Does anybody have any advise on how to approach free states? Can I absorb them into my empire without bloodshed, for instance?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at your empire screen you can see how to obtain era stars. The top one with the laurel around it gives bonus fame. I believe it's sometimes better to postpone entering a new era, and try finish up some current era stars quickly.

Does anybody have any advise on how to approach free states? Can I absorb them into my empire without bloodshed, for instance?
I know what I had to do but just didn't have time. I didn't expect the game to end until I got a 30 turn warning. I think I was the farthest lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Booted up the Xbox Game Pass version and the cursor refresh rate is extremely low. Playing at 1440p and having a really hard time clicking on menus because the mouse movement is so choppy.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some initial impressions:
This lines up with pretty much everything I've been thinking. What difficulty have you been playing on? I was thinking the snowball issue was because I set my difficulty too low, but I don't know what changing the difficulty level actually does to balance, so it might be across the board.

Yeah, you can - there's three buttons on the bottom, ply with Influence, ply with Gold, and Assimilate. If you reach a certain point (I think the "patronage" bar or whatever it's called has to hit 100), you can just straight up assimilate the free state with Influence, and it becomes part of your empire.

So like, every few turns pop over, see how much patronage you're getting per turn, and throw some cash at them to speed up that process if needed.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So yesterday in my long game I went for land rights and yeah, that is the secret to either 1 city empire or just straight up mass land grabs. It converts all acquistion to Money but the curve is basically flat and not exponential like Influence.

And if you were smart by going Persians to get the city cap upgrade, you should have money everywhere with their building. I can basically attach a fourth or fifth territory per city every turn right now, verus taking 5 to 8 turns in influence (and I'm pulling in just under 800 influence in era 3 a turn on slow speed).

So if you want to expand as fast as possible, my suggestion currently is take the -50% outpost influence cost civic (normally I didn't but with land rights this changes the equation), get as many outposts as you can and attach at least one territory to every city since it is cheap. If you can get free cities from "free people" do it. Use your larger influence pool now to claim luxuries as fast as possible as well. In era 2, you should pick a money making unique building (Persia IMO is the best here) and spam it everywhere you can, and try to get a third territory on most cities depending on your influence intake to get more unique buildings (or just go market quarters). Once you get an option for land rights civic, take it and go on a spending spree with your hopefully large bank account. You literrally can triple the size of cities the turn you take it and can keep expanding them nearly every turn hopefully. You will absolutely crush everyone now since your cities will be massive.

I could probably do it faster knowing the above now, but on slow speed I pulled in 9 stars in ~15 turns for era 3 on slow speed doing this as my population exploded, which led to more money, influence, and builder stars in quick succession. Even got the horribly overtuned expansion stars!

If you missed my hint earlier, try to move a scout into the city when population is zero (as long as there is no defender right next to you but you can outflank them usually by going in from the opposite side) and you get to take the city without a fight. I mainly concentrate on hostile free states since their army is usually out hunting and they don't come back after you take the city. This is harder to do on faster speeds, but on slower ones, you have a ton of time to take a city usually.

Last edited:

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
This lines up with pretty much everything I've been thinking. What difficulty have you been playing on? I was thinking the snowball issue was because I set my difficulty too low, but I don't know what changing the difficulty level actually does to balance, so it might be across the board.

Yeah, you can - there's three buttons on the bottom, ply with Influence, ply with Gold, and Assimilate. If you reach a certain point (I think the "patronage" bar or whatever it's called has to hit 100), you can just straight up assimilate the free state with Influence, and it becomes part of your empire.

So like, every few turns pop over, see how much patronage you're getting per turn, and throw some cash at them to speed up that process if needed.

The last game I played was on Metropolis, so still very low difficulty (I was in Contemporary when the highest AI was in Early Modern). (I restarted a game on Metropolis before that - I chose Maya for Classical, and although I did rush one AI, my stacks got completely destroyed by another AI who'd chosen Huns. I think auto-resolving against Hunnic Horde is just a bad idea.) I'm going to give a gold-focused game a try on Nation or Empire to see how that changes things!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last game I played was on Metropolis, so still very low difficulty (I was in Contemporary when the highest AI was in Early Modern). (I restarted a game on Metropolis before that - I chose Maya for Classical, and although I did rush one AI, my stacks got completely destroyed by another AI who'd chosen Huns. I think auto-resolving against Hunnic Horde is just a bad idea.) I'm going to give a gold-focused game a try on Nation or Empire to see how that changes things!

Cool - I also started on Metropolis, so I'm really curious how higher difficulties feel. I'll probably jump to Empire and try a different strategy to see if my teeth get kicked in.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
After seeing some streamers play this I downloaded it off GP and tried out the 300 turn baby tutorial. After 3 days, I can say I did kinda enjoy it but can easily see myself becoming super overwhelmed against even a slightly competent AI.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to catch up to the AI that's always 2k ahead of me. My general strategy is working well otherwise.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to catch up to the AI that's always 2k ahead of me. My general strategy is working well otherwise.

Honestly - manually allocating workers pushing what you need to push. For me, I was maybe 2k behind the Soviets at one point and managed to catch them within the last few turns by brutally pushing first science and then industry - I ended the game via having researched every technology:

And don't undervalue just chaining building research quarters and makers quarters. the extra worker slots make a huge difference late-game, more than buildings even IMHO (and some buildings require multiple of the same quarters, too)

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up getting declared war on by #1 and I can probably just beat them since I built an industry powerhouse empire but now combat is stuck on processing this attack

unknown.png

Edit: stepped away from the PC and it had finished processing the attack when I came back

Last edited:

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So with the lands right strategy posted, got the Gigaopolis achievement. Had ~50,000 industry in that city in the end with a population of 238 on Metropolis difficulty. Overall nation had 1200 population in the end. Could've been higher but no oil spawned... Ended with ~20,000 fame.

Manchu Picchu is OP compared to every other wonder. Had it pumping out 2000 food a turn to every city by the end.

And went nuts with Germans and pollution, and still could not get above level 0 before I got the "renewables." Was even putting out 2,000 pollution a turn.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
So with the lands right strategy posted, got the Gigaopolis achievement. Had ~50,000 industry in that city in the end with a population of 238 on Metropolis difficulty. Overall nation had 1200 population in the end. Could've been higher but no oil spawned... Ended with ~20,000 fame.

Manchu Picchu is OP compared to every other wonder. Had it pumping out 2000 food a turn to every city by the end.

And went nuts with Germans and pollution, and still could not get above level 0 before I got the "renewables." Was even putting out 2,000 pollution a turn.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! I'll give that strategy a try on the next run. I always feel strange making Markets instead of Makers districts.

I tried a slightly more gold-focused strategy on my last run on Empire, where I took Inherited Rights but didn't go all-in on the Market district spamming. I think I ended up going Zhou > Huns > Khmer > Joseon > Mexicans > Swedes, and was rivals for the top place until the start of the Industrial era, after which the AI dropped off very quickly. I think they still have issues with matching player growth at that point.

6wRI0TE.png

cMIbCdh.png

Zhou was a big mistake, since I didn't have any great mountain adjacencies to exploit their Confucian School, and ended up with just one district with a measly +5 adjacency. I'm also not sold on most Ancient era unique units, since I only tended to get their pre-requisite tech only well into Classical. I probably should have gone Harappan (which actually has a useful unique unit) or Egypt. Huns still seemed borderline OP, and two stacks of their horde basically wiped out the two AIs on my continent.

Outposting or founding a city in a region with a natural wonder in the neolithic or ancient era seems very strong. A free +5 influence every turn at that stage basically guarantees very easy expansion up until you hit AI borders.

On the standard map, there always seems to be a "new world" continent where only Independent Peoples spawn. The AI doesn't seem to expand to it very quickly, but it does dump influence into independent cities (presumably to assimilate them), so it's worth bribing them or taking them out before that can happen to deny the AI a foothold on the continent.

One annoying issue was that I was trying to end through the Mars Lander, but there were only 2 Oils on the map (and Mars Lander requires 3). That seems bizarre - I would have thought 3 was a minimum. I ended up having to go tech instead :(

Oct 27, 2017
To answer my own questionning about why the AI goes so fast out of neolithic, just try turning on auto-explore on your units: the AI doesn't care of fog of war and goes straight for food and curiosities... just letting the game play by itself I could chose my civ 1st at turn 5...

edit: I don't see how they can change that for solo, but they should at least make it so you can't use it in multi, it's too OP if you play vs people that don't know it and it will end with everybody using it so the first turns of multi will be AI vs AI... XD.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
turns out old world is closer to crusader kings, which isn't the kind of thing i'm interested
gonna check out humankind next

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
To answer my own questionning about why the AI goes so fast out of neolithic, just try turning on auto-explore on your units: the AI doesn't care of fog of war and goes straight for food and curiosities... just letting the game play by itself I could chose my civ 1st at turn 5...

edit: I don't see how they can change that for solo, but they should at least make it so you can't use it in multi, it's too OP if you play vs people that don't know it and it will end with everybody using it so the first turns of multi will be AI vs AI... XD.
Amazing gonna try this next time

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020

Time will tell but personally i dont think its a good idea to leave the neolithic era as fast as possible. The benefits seem way worse than the downsides. Losing the legacy trait and like 10 scouts by going to the next era on like turn 5 instead of like 15 seems like a bad deal to me. The legacy trait is a great buff for the entirety of the game and all the scouts can give you like 1000 gold and 500 influence during the ancient era alone from curiosities. Getting an extra 500 influence in the ancient era is a big deal.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree; Build outposts asap, but Neolithic bonuses are potentially huge.

And don't forget that you can disband your Scouts to turn them into Pops! So that relatively free growth from curiosities and Hunting is potentially huge.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't say it's the best tactic to leave neolithic as fast as possible, I was looking for why/how the AI was so fast to have 1st dibs on civs.
You can stay 20 turns if you want, still, by using the auto-explore feature you'll be way ahead vs a human fellow that doesn't know it, getting food and curiosities each turns from each of your units.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The Emblematic Building of the Turks....

So that 300% is a typo right? It was pretty fucking ridiculous how much science I was getting per Public School.

Oct 29, 2017
Do you have a controller or some other input plugged in? I've had similar issues with other games and it was usually when I had something else plugged in.

Thanks, it was indeed a joystick that was plugged in. This game really doesn't appreciate other controllers being plugged in - there was some chatter on Reddit where other ppl have experienced the same issue.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Just finished first game and I think the game will be good. I just don't feel it yet.
I played it on an easier setting and at turn 80 an ai opponent just took off and I just couldn't catch them. They finished nearly triple fame ahead. They just shot ahead on everything on turn 80, it was weird looking at the ending graph.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the war system is so awful. Completely decimated my opponent and want to roll through their whole territory but alas no war support is over you get almost nothing. Also now my armies are somehow trapped in their territory cause moving would be declaring war but I can't declare war yet

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Oh god the war system is so awful. Completely decimated my opponent and want to roll through their whole territory but alas no war support is over you get almost nothing. Also now my armies are somehow trapped in their territory cause moving would be declaring war but I can't declare war yet

Yeah there clearly are a lot of room of improvement and stuff that needs to be smoothed out.

NexusGamer

Dec 8, 2017
Is the pacing in the game too slow/bugged?

Background - I've played CIv 5/6 extensively. I am not an expert, but on medium difficulty i've had lots of fun.

One strange thing happening to me with Humankind is that I can't seem to ever actually get to the final era or the end of the tech tree. My progress in multiple games I've attempted on different maps sizes, seems extremely slow.

I tried to play on Blitz speed, and I tried the 600 turn speed - but no matter what, I always end up in the modern era at best (and so do all AI). I am completely confused - I've never even made it to the nukes or the mission to mars before the game ends due to turn limit. Am I doing something completely wrong? Is the game meant to end early and you just keep playing afterwards?

Also - i really dont like how inflexibile the game is. The fame system acting as a gatekeep to the next era means you can't truly focus on one area and have to limp along with at least a few categories to earn the stars.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Despite gaming for 45 years, this is my first ever 4X game (even had to google what the 4Xs stand for, lol). Only 100 turns into my tutorial game, and have no real idea what's going on, but I'm loving it. Natch I have nothing to compare it to, and lots of it seems vastly complicated and confusing, but the core mechanics are fascinating to me. I've finally unlocked the ability to embark my troops, and my 3rd era Greeks have just been first to discover a new continent. Stupidly excited when that banner popped up. Loving it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I like it actually. It's much better than Civ where you can just be in war forever. It reminds me of Europa Universalis IV and Crusder Kings 3 where you are also more or less forced to get out of war as soon as you have totally won or lost.

One strange thing happening to me with Humankind is that I can't seem to ever actually get to the final era or the end of the tech tree. My progress in multiple games I've attempted on different maps sizes, seems extremely slow.

I tried to play on Blitz speed, and I tried the 600 turn speed - but no matter what, I always end up in the modern era at best (and so do all AI). I am completely confused - I've never even made it to the nukes or the mission to mars before the game ends due to turn limit. Am I doing something completely wrong? Is the game meant to end early and you just keep playing afterwards?
Yeah, this is an issue I've noticed too. Well, I do get to the final age, but often it's super late in the game when I only have like 50 or less turns left which is far too little time to actually still do anything. In my last game where I mostly focused on money I never even got to the Contemporary age tech.

The only game I won I did actually manage to completely finish the tech tree with four turns left, but only because I basically wanted to try all the civs that the playerbase considers totally broken right now (the Ancient Indian culture, Huns and Turks) and that allowed me to speedrun through the ages and still the only reason I managed to finish the tech tree was because the Turkish district likely has a typo in the code which makes it ten times stronger than it should be.

And yeah, I can't imagine that any player really gets to play around with nukes etc. unless they're constantly warring or something and beeline for nukes because you really get into the last Age far too late for it to come naturally.

Honestly, I don't get why there's no way to turn off the turn limit. You can actually turn off other Game End conditions, but the turn limit always stays for some bizarre reason. In Civ I also always turned off Turn Limit, because I want to finish the game on my own terms, not when the game says it should be finished.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I like it actually. It's much better than Civ where you can just be in war forever. It reminds me of Europa Universalis IV and Crusder Kings 3 where you are also more or less forced to get out of war as soon as you have totally won or lost.
just doesn't make it feel like you won when you immediately make demands to go to war again

unknown.png

weird

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
just doesn't make it feel like you won when you immediately make demands to go to war again
Well, the War Support system is there to make you not fight another war with the same enemy directly after winning (or losing) your last war. Sure you could do a surprise war and ruin your diplomatic reputation, but if War Support on both sides is low, you also can't get as much from your victory. I think the idea is that a player is supposed to wait a bit for War Support to build up on both sides before you start a new war and then you can again take as much as you want (within limits) when you win.

I had no issues at all earlier when I fought two/three wars to destroy another player. You just have to learn that you cannot just immediately attack again while your enemy is still weakened and expect to get a lot from it.

EDIT: Also, they really need to fix the auto explore thing to make it not automatically seek out those curiosities. Setting your first scouts in the Neolithic Era on auto explore totally breaks it lol. Why explore yourself if you can make the AI automatically seek out all the goodies?

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the War Support system is there to make you not fight another war with the same enemy directly after winning (or losing) your last war. Sure you could do a surprise war and ruin your diplomatic reputation, but if War Support on both sides is low, you also can't get as much from your victory. I think the idea is that a player is supposed to wait a bit for War Support to build up on both sides before you start a new war and then you can again take as much as you want (within limits) when you win.

I had no issues at all earlier when I fought two/three wars to destroy another player. You just have to learn that you cannot just immediately attack again while your enemy is still weakened and expect to get a lot from it.
If you completely overpower the opponent you can do so right away again takes only a couple turns to get enough to declare war and then any combat is worth 8 war support and you only lose 3 war support per turn.
I know thise because I've been trying to decimate #1 before they can win. Just ask them for share maps or open borders and they'll refuse one of them giving you a boost to get to the level you are allowed them war earlier.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this game seriously gives me the 1 more turn feel.

I'm not sure about the people who are complaining about not being able to research fast enough or progress fast enough, as I feel I have the opposite experience. I'm early modern era on turn 140ish from the tutorial game (so pretty easy at Town difficulty), and that's with intentionally delaying my advance because I wanted to get some more era stars.

I expanded aggressively early on, taking advantage of curiosities to get a ton of scouts in neolithic, crushed the neighbor civ by I think Classical era, and then getting tech wonders to reach other continents and I'm already getting a foothold and even won a war taking two more cities on another continent. Outposts everywhere, circumnavigated the world, encountered the tiny New World landmass but can't quite reach it yet.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
The bug I posted above corrupted the Autosaves of 9 turns urgh.

edit: Ok this has to be a joke? Declared surprise war waltzed in took their city they got nothing and
unknown.png

200 gold isn't nothing but why can't I keep the city I conquered...

and my units are stuck now
unknown.png

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wars in Humankind are a lot more than just a means to conquer territory. They have strategic value in weakening the target's economy, fuelling your era score, and, yes, ultimately strengthening your territory or economy through clever escalation of a conflict. You can't leap into surprise wars and expect to profit from them--you need to turn pointless border skirmishes and territorial aggression into a justification for a grand war that you can then use to press an enemy into giving up territory and valuables and ultimately vassalising to you.

You never defeat a civilization through pure force of arms.

It's got some design oversights and bugs (like that trapped unit thing, and some display bugs re: battles/changing territory that I've run into personally) but is, IMO, a really great conceptualisation of casus bellis in a Civ-like game. You get the strategic element of planning the war, and that tactical treat of manual battles as you box them in and orchestrate their surrender. It's always about more than just the war itself and I love that.

The more I've played Humankidn the more I've been impressed by its ideas. With some refinement and improvements it's gonna be an absolute classic.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I declared war on them again and had 89 score and needed 90, if my units weren't trapped I wouldn't mind it so much. I'll get it eventually while racking up experience and keeping them down but still annoying.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently cavalry can't enter walled cities but footmen can. Which makes sieging cities kinda impossible if you just have full cavalry and they attack your siege camp and then you're stuck for turns in a stalemate

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
Is the pacing in the game too slow/bugged?

Background - I've played CIv 5/6 extensively. I am not an expert, but on medium difficulty i've had lots of fun.

Also - i really dont like how inflexibile the game is. The fame system acting as a gatekeep to the next era means you can't truly focus on one area and have to limp along with at least a few categories to earn the stars.

Not sure, maybe need to focus better? I've been able to get to the end era and complete the tech tree well before the end of the game due to turns

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently cavalry can't enter walled cities but footmen can. Which makes sieging cities kinda impossible if you just have full cavalry and they attack your siege camp and then you're stuck for turns in a stalemate
Yeah that is annoying.

The AI can't figure out that it should just not attack however and you can just put a bunch of melee units somewhere highly elevated or behind a wall and let them run at you while picking at them with archers.
Even when you attack them.

Immortals and Hoplites are extra strong because of this for the first few eras.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Looking forward to trying this, but I'm still wishing for a Civ-like that isn't restricted around historic civs and cultures, but just let's you evolve your own naturally over the course of the game without overt ties to real world history. Culture determined by actions and situations, not by manual picks.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
If you have the right tech when you attack a city instead of attacking right away you can press to siege. That will make you produce siege weapons every turn or every few turns. You can then use those siege weapons to destroy the walls and get in with cavalry.