• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Something good happened. It's been so long I don't know what to do. 🏳️‍🌈❤️

Is Gorsuch trying to shore up his legacy already by turning on Dump? I still feel like both he and Kavanaugh should be removed from the Supreme Court under the next presidency as they were both instated by an illegitimate criminal.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Is Gorsuch trying to shore up his legacy already by turning on Dump? I still feel like both he and Kavanaugh should be removed from the Supreme Court under the next presidency as they were both instated by an illegitimate criminal.

Gorsuch isn't a political ideologue, never has been. He's a textualist. The issue with Gorsuch has never really been himself, just how he got his seat - he could have been legit nominated in any other administration tbh.

The text of the Constitution is very clear here, so a case like this to him is pretty "why are we even discussing this?"

He'll always side with the word of the Constitution. For better or worse, he doesn't care about the "spirit of the wording", the underlying purpose of the wording, or even his own personal beliefs, just what the wording of the document says.

My favorite ruling of his before this was Washington State Dept. of Licensing v. Cougar Den, Inc where Gorsuch sided with the Yakama Nation.

"Really, this case just tells an old and familiar story. The State of Washington includes millions of acres that the Yakamas ceded to the United States under significant pressure. In return, the government supplied a handful of modest promises. The State is now dissatisfied with the consequences of one of those promises. It is a new day, and now it wants more. But today and to its credit, the Court holds the parties to the terms of their deal. It is the least we can do."

Removal of a sitting federal judge requires 67 votes in the Senate (same as presidential impeachment), so that will never happen, at least not solely in response to the events we've seen so far.

In an "ideal" world, Kavanaugh should be removed for his perjury during his confirmation hearings, but I don't think there's any legitimate grounds to remove Gorsuch. As shitty as the GOP blockade during Obama's final year was, it was technically allowed.

Something good happened. It's been so long I don't know what to do. 🏳️‍🌈❤

Gorsuch was put forward as a conservative judge who would reliably play for the team and back big business. But he will apparently do his job, even if with a conservative bent. Conservatives are crying because they WANT a pure stooge, not someone who acts like what the party line claims a conservative is.

If I had to pick I would remove Kavanaugh who is both unfit and probably the genuine Trump stooge here. In a post-Trump world, if the GOP is severely hurt, it might be feasible to get rid of Kavanaugh with all the shit surrounding him. Gorsuch is turning out to be a better alternative to Scalia.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I love watching the Religious Right foaming at the mouth over this. Apparently now I can never be fired from a job because I´m gay. Good to know!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Gorsuch was put forward as a conservative judge who would reliably play for the team and back big business. But he will apparently do his job, even if with a conservative bent. Conservatives are crying because they WANT a pure stooge, not someone who acts like what the party line claims a conservative is.

If I had to pick I would remove Kavanaugh who is both unfit and probably the genuine Trump stooge here. In a post-Trump world, if the GOP is severely hurt, it might be feasible to get rid of Kavanaugh with all the shit surrounding him. Gorsuch is turning out to be a better alternative to Scalia.
Gorsuch, at least at this moment, seems to actually be a textualist, not a fake one like most conservatives.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing at Trump claiming he read the decision. Someone presented him with a 10 second summary.

Oct 27, 2017
This news is kind of miraculous, after everything that's happened in the past 6 months. Really had to double take to make sure I wasn't misreading and getting unnecessarily happy.

Between this and the news that Millenials and Gen Z are turning hard into progressive ideologies, maybe there's hope in the future.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to dig into the decision later on to really understand this ruling and their application of "textualism."

Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing. Also wait until someone in his staff explains the ruling to Trump. That's when you'll get his outburst.

Nov 27, 2019
Man, I came out of the closet at work today literally minutes before this judgement was handed down today. Between this and the overwhelmingly positive feedback at work, today has been a little star of positivity set against the fathomless vault of a night sky of misery that this year has been.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

You really have to hear him because you do fully get the inflection of his voice which tells you "I don't have a clue what any of this really means, so I'm just gonna vomit vague judicial words and phrases until the sentence ends."

Yep. You can tell nobody explained to him yet why this is bad for him politically yet with the evangelicals. His honest reaction to the news is that he reeeeeallly doesn't give the slightest fuck either way.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Both Gorsuch and Roberts voted with the liberals. Hard to say which one pushed it over the edge.
No, Roberts and the liberals voted together with Gorsuch, so it would have happened without him.

But Gorsuch writing the majority opinion was definitely done by Roberts to send a message.
And Roberts if you consider the liberal justices guaranteed.

Cool really happy with the good news

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Man, I came out of the closet at work today literally minutes before this judgement was handed down today. Between this and the overwhelmingly positive feedback at work, today has been a little star of positivity set against the fathomless vault of a night sky of misery that this year has been.

Awesome, that's really good to read! <3

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy to read this. Some real good news after all the garbage spewed by Trump and his cult last week. I was not expecting this to come out of the current Supreme Court, but I'm so so happy to be wrong.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

You really have to hear him because you do fully get the inflection of his voice which tells you "I don't have a clue what any of this really means, so I'm just gonna vomit vague judicial words and phrases until the sentence ends."

I stated earlier that I don't think he gives two shits about this beyond how it helps him electorally, but for a brief mental exercise let's pretend he actually said "oh no. That will play terribly with my evangelicals, what can we do about it?" What could be done about it? An executive order wouldn't overturn a SCOTUS decision and congress would look like complete idiots trying to pass a discriminatory bill that they know won't get anywhere when there are serious issues going on. Can you imagine trying to play the culture wars play this coming election in the middle of a pandemic and while major protests have been going on?