• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How's Era feeling on RAGE 2?

• Day one.

Votes: 164 18.9%
  • I like what I see, but I'll probably wait for reviews

Votes: 261 30.1%
  • It looks good, but I'll wait for a sale before picking it up

Votes: 270 31.1%
  • Not interested

Votes: 173 19.9%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
What would be an example of a modern or forward thinking single-player FPS game trend?

• Objectives that aren't outpost clearing
• Characters, story, emotions. Either a serious story or a comedy.
• Player choice, consequences, multiple ways to beat the mission.
• AI that isn't potatoes with guns
• Vehicle sequences that aren't gimmicks: depth, strategy, mastery. So many of the vehicle weapons are homing missiles. Go beyond: first person vehicle sequences where you can actually jump out, hijack another vehicle, feel like you are in the action movie as opposed to toy-vehicle combat. Be better than Far Cry.
• Emergent gameplay systems: living world with the bounty-hunters, faction wars etc. (AC Odyssey, Mordor Nemesis)
• Since the player is already super-powered, a movement/platforming system like Titanfall.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I think it looks interesting but I'm definitely going to wait for reviews and era's impressions before making a final decision

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but it's still a first person game at 30FPS. I hope they at least let us put some heavy motion blur to mask the framerate.
It is not uncommon that FPS runs 30 on consoles. Far cry and the new metro game both do.

It is more of the limit of a $200 box rather than dev being lazy or incompetent. If frame rate is really a concern, there are options for superior experiences.

Saying being turned off by this aspect just feels unfair to me.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It is not uncommon that FPS runs 30 on consoles. Far cry and the new metro game both do.

It is more of the limit of a $200 box rather than dev being lazy or incompetent. If frame rate is really a concern, there are options for superior experiences.

Saying being turned off by this aspect just feels unfair to me.
At no point during my comment I blamed the devs. The game runs at 30FPS, even if it isn't their fault. Only way I'm buying a 30FPS first person game is if I love the franchise.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
• Objectives that aren't outpost clearing
• Characters, story, emotions. Either a serious story or a comedy.
• Player choice, consequences, multiple ways to beat the mission.
• AI that isn't potatoes with guns
• Vehicle sequences that aren't gimmicks: depth, strategy, mastery. So many of the vehicle weapons are homing missiles. Go beyond: first person vehicle sequences where you can actually jump out, hijack another vehicle, feel like you are in the action movie as opposed to toy-vehicle combat. Be better than Far Cry.
• Emergent gameplay systems: living world with the bounty-hunters, faction wars etc. (AC Odyssey, Mordor Nemesis)
• Since the player is already super-powered, a movement/platforming system like Titanfall.
Dude I feel like you are literally depicting Cyberpunk 2077, lol.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
id Software combat, so I'm very interested, would probably get day one if it weren't so expensive on Steam. Unfortunate third party retailers only sell Bethesda keys, but I'm just glad it's coming to Steam at all.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Gunplay looks great and fun, but I have doubts about the developer and the open world. Not to mention the vehicles are a huge turn off.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just haven't been convinced this is a Day One buy. Too many shooters out there these days, lots of style but its certainly lacking that substance that I crave. (Great story to back up all that glorious gameplay)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I liked Mad Max and thought Rage's gunplay belonged in a better game, so I'm optimistic.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like brilliant fun, but Borderlands already used up my quota on whacky post apocalyptic fps.

Oct 25, 2017
Noir York City
The inconsistent marketing confuses me, to be honest. Some trailers show it as serious combat with semi-goofy enemies. Some videos show shit is crazy up and down. I like Avalanche a lot and I'm keeping an eye on it but I would prefer a consistent tone.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be taking a wait and see approach to see what reviews and impressions are like.

I do have to give credit to Bethesda for putting it on Steam though, it was an easy OR win for them and will likely sell a lot more copies on PC than if it was just on their launcher.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It just looks a little try hard to me I guess if that makes sense? More appealing than the first game which looked bland as hell but I guess I'd rather wait for Borderlands 3 for a colourful mad fps.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather play something with a more positive title to be quite frank. I just don't want to go on places telling people i'm playing Rage 2.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good although it looks way more like a sequel to that Mad Max game than Rage...

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's a wait and see scenario for me, it will all depend on how reviews play it out...

Honestly I'm not really keen to play a 1080p game on my 4K TV :/ But if the game is amazing I will definitely buy it day 0

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll need to see some extended gameplay, but so far I'm week one. I'm working through sekiro right now so it will be nice to jump into something easier and more relaxed.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Rage despite its terrible ending and was actually looking forward to a sequel.

My problem with what we seem to get here is that it has a totally different vibe (and structure) compared to the first game. I'm not into the Just Cause and Far Cry games at all and therefore this looks like a pass for me. I just don't have the time or patience for this same old, repetitive open-world shit anymore...

Last edited:

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Core mechanics look great but the open world stuff looks super bland. I'll probably give it a rent.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I chose "on sale", but a great review might changed that. It's all about what we're getting with this second game, if it's more Borderlands than Rage 1 then I might be interested day one.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah those are not really real Bethesda, they just Bethesda published. They did make the Biosdhock 2 DLC for 2k which was better then B2 itself.
Arkane and Tango are as much Bethesda as id is (they are all wholly owned) and much more "Bethesda" than Avalanche.

Also, Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 was made by 2k Marin, or at least a smaller subset of the 2k Marin team that built Bioshock 2 (headed by Steve Gaynor, who was a level designer on B2).

Where are you getting this stuff?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Not a day one buy, but it's definitely one of the few games I plan on buying this year (already beat Sekiro, will also buy Doom Eternal, The Outer Worlds, and the Hitman 2 expansions).

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
It's looks OK, real good at times and I can't pass on a solid FPS, but I'll wait a for sale because I just don't see myself getting yet another game day-one this year. Unless cdkeys or some other site has an offer I cannot refuse (IIRC Doom 2016 was like 35$ back when it came out).

Last edited:

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
It looks pretty good, I can wait though, that type of game experience isn't what I'm looking for right now. Will totally get it sometime down the line though.

May 29, 2018
I played it at e3 last year. It blows my mind how they were using Xbox one S's instead of X's so the game looked extra bad and the frame rate was everywhere. It also looked like every other brown shooter from last gen

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
As a fan of Mad Max (2015), this seems to be Mad Max 2 repackaged as a Rage sequel (and in first person), so I'm down for that.

Yeah, "First-person Mad Max 2 with an id Software twist" seems to be an accurate description. Even putting the setting aside, the faction system in general is very similar, down to the presence of a "Projects" tab in the pause/map menu:

rage2mapmenuy8j4h.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Dude I feel like you are literally depicting Cyberpunk 2077, lol.

It isn't Cyberpunk, it is mechanics which were interesting and well-received in other single-player games. Cyberpunk has way more than my list.

This is why I am saying that Rage 2 is stuck in the past: they have nothing from this gen in terms of gameplay evolution (or trends like looter-shooter co-op or BR mode). Repackaging the boring and generic post-apocalyptic shooter. It is fine if that is all you need, but I think there are loads of games which are better for my time.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Yeah, "First-person Mad Max 2 with an id Software twist" seems to be an accurate description. Even putting the setting aside, the faction system in general is very similar, down to the presence of a "Projects" tab in the pause/map menu:

rage2mapmenuy8j4h.jpg

Also present from Mad Max:

- Convoys
- Races
- Drive an enemy vehicle back to your base to be able to keep it
- The whole look of enemy bases (at least the Goon Squad ones)

I really wonder if this game started development as Mad Max 2 and Bethesda stepped in halfway and said 'turn it into RAGE 2, also work with ID.'

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
After Cryengine and Lumberyard this is basiucally the next evolution in the Crytek Engine (Bethesda hired more then half the Crytek Engine people in Frankfurt to work on a dedicated FPS engine) techniocally it shoukld be great, gamewise, well yeah its Bethesda and if its not Doom or Wolkfenstein

It's actually running on Avalanche's own engine, but, yeah, id Tech was everybody's first guess, haha.

Also present from Mad Max:

- Convoys
- Races
- Drive an enemy vehicle back to your base to be able to keep it
- The whole look of enemy bases (at least the Goon Squad ones)

Yeah, that stood out to me the most, I'd say.

I really wonder if this game started development as Mad Max 2 and Bethesda stepped in halfway and said 'turn it into RAGE 2, also work with ID.'

The overlaps do feel like too big a coincidence.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really cool and I imagine it could be one of the most fun games this year. Doom + Far Cry? Sign me up.

However, I doubt I will get it day one. I will pick it up when it gets cheap because of backlog reasons and Days Gone being released soon. Will definetly get it though.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've played Mad Max and I've played Rage 1, and no thank you.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, but there's a sea of games I still haven't purchased yet that I also want.

So when Rage drops a bit in price I'll jump on it. In the meantime I still want some other games just as much, if not more.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Madmax was really good and was made by the Stockholm studio so i guess there's a little bit of hype for me.

If Mediamarket does the usual exchange of an old game for €44 then i´m there day one.

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
• Bland, generic, repetitive
• Stuck in the past of single-player FPS game trends
• Both the publisher and the developer have a long history of broken launches
• Based on the failed IP and the non-existent community
• The marketing and the actual game have a massive rift between a comical and serious post-apocalyptic presentation

I don't understand the hype for this game. Not a single indicator points towards the fun gameplay, but it is pointless to debate that without playing it.
The fuck does being stuck in the past mean when it comes to this game? And I'm not sure how you can call it repetitive when you haven't played it. But okay.